follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 06-29-2012, 04:39 PM   #155
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,891 Times in 2,032 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbomb 25 View Post
you can get a GT for the same price as a BRZ...
You must be comparing an OUTSTANDING deal on a Mustang GT vs. "bend-over" pricing on the BRZ.

FR-S MSRP + destination = $24,985
BRZ MSRP + destination = $26,265
Mustang GT MSRP + destination = $31,095

Irrespective of price, I'd rather own/drive an FR-S/BRZ.
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 04:39 PM   #156
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Im just gonna leave this alone...lmao
Guess we finally found something we agree on.
Dadhawk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 04:40 PM   #157
SVTSHC
(ノಥ益ಥ)ノ

Drives: 2015 Series Blue BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thill View Post
You also know really quickly which cars you don't like

I really did not even have to drive the Camaro off the lot once I sat in it.. Just was not the car for me...
The same thing very nearly happened to me with the 13' Gencoupe. I sat in it at the NY Auto Show and was immediately disgusted with the way everything felt around me.
I promised myself I'd give it a chance and grab a test drive though; truthfully I had a lot more respect for it afterwards. It still wasn't nearly my cup of tea for something I planned on tracking but I did respect it for what it was. If I was considering just an everyday comfortable cruiser with a bit of grunt to back up the creature comforts the Gencoupe would be back on my list for sure and had I condemned the car after my auto show impressions I wouldn't have just said that.

But I definitely get what you mean though; honestly with the few exceptions being the mustang, BMW 5 series, and (JUST BARELY) the camaro, I've never felt comfortable in larger vehicles.

"Sweet Subaru, sweet Subaru, send your BRZ unto me, for the roads of the unworthy must be baptized in speed and glory." ~Zaku
SVTSHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 04:47 PM   #158
sdiver68

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
C
Quote:
News flash the 335i and Triplets auto is not a elite auto tranny or no where near the league of a GTR or Benz trans pointblank no matter how you spin this....
I don't have to spin anything except lap times and relate my real world track experience.
sdiver68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 04:52 PM   #159
shadoquad
a quote out of context

Drives: '20 BRZ, '17 Silverado, '17 S1000R
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDan View Post
You must be comparing an OUTSTANDING deal on a Mustang GT vs. "bend-over" pricing on the BRZ.

FR-S MSRP + destination = $24,985
BRZ MSRP + destination = $26,265
Mustang GT MSRP + destination = $31,095

Irrespective of price, I'd rather own/drive an FR-S/BRZ.
ZDan, that's exactly what I was saying. Right now, the dealers near me are giving out incredible deals on Mustangs and rape deals on BRZ.

When you can buy a Mustang GT at Invoice for 28k or buy a BRZ at MSRP for 28k, it becomes a decision, and that's the situation with my local dealerships.
shadoquad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 04:57 PM   #160
SVTSHC
(ノಥ益ಥ)ノ

Drives: 2015 Series Blue BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadoquad View Post
ZDan, that's exactly what I was saying. Right now, the dealers near me are giving out incredible deals on Mustangs and rape deals on BRZ.

When you can buy a Mustang GT at Invoice for 28k or buy a BRZ at MSRP for 28k, it becomes a decision, and that's the situation with my local dealerships.
I'll tell you back when I worked at Ford that was pretty regular. It just seems that in third and fourth quarters of the year you can generally pick up a stang for just around if not under invoice.

I'm not sure where you're located but here in NY our salesman blame it on the market in the south. You don't see very many Stangs up north.... lotta Camaro's though.

"Sweet Subaru, sweet Subaru, send your BRZ unto me, for the roads of the unworthy must be baptized in speed and glory." ~Zaku
SVTSHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 05:00 PM   #161
shadoquad
a quote out of context

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTSHC View Post
I'll tell you back when I worked at Ford that was pretty regular. It just seems that in third and fourth quarters of the year you can generally pick up a stang for just around if not under invoice.

I'm not sure where you're located but here in NY our salesman blame it on the market in the south. You don't see very many Stangs up north.... lotta Camaro's though.
I'm in Maryland.

I'm sure that a lot of it has to do with the relative exclusivity of the cars right now. You can go around the block anywhere in Little Town, USA and run past 4-5 Mustangs before you see an FT86.

Now, if you're an expert negotiator and can find a flexible enough Subaru dealer, you might swing a whale of a deal. Or if you go for the base FR-S, you will certainly save money.
Old 06-29-2012, 05:01 PM   #162
Grateful Dave
2nd 86 member

Drives: 2013 Asphalt AT FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
News flash the 335i and Triplets auto is not a elite auto tranny or no where near the league of a GTR or Benz trans pointblank no matter how you spin this....
If it such a piece of crap tranny, why do they put a 8 speed version of it in a Lexus IS-F? They say the FR-S is the same tranny minus 2 gears to become a 6 speed. Gear ratios would be different but same tranny design. These are made by Aisin who make for many different cars. Couple this transmission with the Torsen LSD (which they use in the Lexus) and you have one nice automatic drive train. Somewhere there is a thread of an article explaining the drive train in detail Aisin & Torsen model #'s etc.
I'm not saying it is better but for the buck, You can't beat it! You get a Lexus level transmission & drive train at a Toyota/Scion price.

Take an AT FR-S/BRZ for a real drive on a mountain road using the paddle shifters or stick shift, match revving and all just like a manual, minus the clutch, If you don't get back with a big ear to ear smile on your face. Something must be wrong with you. But I know you will be smiling. :happy0180:
Grateful Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Grateful Dave For This Useful Post:
sdiver68 (06-30-2012)
Old 06-29-2012, 05:13 PM   #163
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,891 Times in 2,032 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadoquad View Post

MSRP on the BRZ is $2k less than 28k.

Generally you may get a better deal vs. MSRP on the Mustang, but you should compare BEST deal vs. BEST deal, in which case the BRZ at MSRP is going to be a fair amount cheaper than a Mustang GT at invoice.
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 05:16 PM   #164
shadoquad
a quote out of context

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDan View Post
MSRP on the BRZ is $2k less than 28k.

Generally you may get a better deal vs. MSRP on the Mustang, but you should compare BEST deal vs. BEST deal, in which case the BRZ at MSRP is going to be a fair amount cheaper than a Mustang GT at invoice.
I apologize. I was thinking of BRZ Limited. That is my bad.

2k is a fair amount cheaper, sure, but it's still the same ballpark.

And, like I said, a base FRS is 25k MSRP.

Now, if you can talk a salesman down on a BRZ to pay invoice, that would be special. But that's not what Subaru has offered me in recent weeks. Ford has. It will be interesting as we get into colder weather and end of model year. That is when the dealing is done for performance cars
Old 06-29-2012, 05:26 PM   #165
thill

Drives: 2020 SS1LE (previous 13 BRZ owner)
Thanked 1,463 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Ford has offered numerous rebates on the Mustang. I got a quote for $26K and change for a brand new 2012 GT about two months ago when the 2013 model was starting to come out. Even though I had pretty much crossed the car off my list after driving the V6 performance pack Stang (which I was going to get for around $23K and most likely could have gotten for $22K), that quote did make me pause.... That is a heck of a lot of performance for $26k!
thill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 05:35 PM   #166
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTSHC View Post
Yea, it seems pretty common from what I've seen. When we bought our '05 convertible, it was in October 05 (actually on Halloween) and the negotiating started at invoice and we got it down from there. Ended up getting it for a little under invoice plus covering some of the fees.

This was after earlier in the model year when the then new "retro" version was released, people were paying above MSRP for them.

Every year about that time we start getting calls from the dealership looking to "move us up to the newest model" for the same type of deal.
Dadhawk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 05:43 PM   #167
Capt Canuck

Drives: BMW E36 323is
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnapOv3st3r View Post

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnapOv3st3r View Post
You pick a car based on your needs and preferences. Pointless to argue which is better to someone else who has different values.

...If you are in the market for a RWD car, and you have on your list a Mustang GT and a Miata, well then you are one very indecisive person who has no clue what they want out of a car just yet...
Might want to take your own advice

Not sure what that is suppose to mean. I know what I want in a car, and thus does not apply to me. Thanks
Simply really. In one breath you effectively say 'each to their own' and in the next you apply your evaluation/judgement methodology to someone else and dismiss them for considering a Mustang and Miata at the same time.

There is no reason whatsoever someone cannot consider a Mustang GT, Miata, BMW 335 sedan and know exactly what their requirements are. Because those requirements apply to them, not you.
Old 06-29-2012, 09:33 PM   #168
SnapOv3st3r

Drives: 400whp Scion tC
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Canuck View Post
Simply really. In one breath you effectively say 'each to their own' and in the next you apply your evaluation/judgement methodology to someone else and dismiss them for considering a Mustang and Miata at the same time.

There is no reason whatsoever someone cannot consider a Mustang GT, Miata, BMW 335 sedan and know exactly what their requirements are. Because those requirements apply to them, not you.

I have no idea what you are talking about and you are taking something out of it that I didn't say. Those cars are drastically different from one another. And if you are considering a Mustang GT to a Miata, sorry you simply "don't" know what you want.

If you are saying a Mustang V6, Gen Coupe, 350z....that's a lot closer than a Miata and V8 Mustang GT.

There is such a word as indecisive. If your category includes a V8 Stang and a Miata, that to me is rather indecisive and you don't know exactly what you want out of a RWD car in the $27-30k range.
SnapOv3st3r is offline   Reply With Quote