follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 05-17-2014, 02:32 PM   #15
OICU812
Just a dude

Drives: Scion FR-S 2013
Thanked 1,188 Times in 852 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Using stock header yes you can with ptuning however eventually someday that cats gonna eat away "and how long is that, 1 week, 2 years who knows??, slightest chunk into the turbo and boom...... Once they release their header for public sales that dissolves but puts it 1300-1600 bukeroos over competitions cost for a basic setup overall. There is no debating Ptunings location and performance is great, absolutely it is. However everything that IMO is needed, the manifold, the lavacore oil cooler is all "to be announced" still on their page and will take some patience to aquire all this. Don't forget now youre over 300TQ you'll NEED a clutch and you need other supporting mods aka catch cans etc. Based on current pricing I put the PT kit complete with supporting mods easily in the 11-12K mark.

Would I love this kit, sure damn rights its just in its infancy abit company wise with "this kit" and other parts of the whole picture wise and ya its pretty much most expensive kit aside from say crawfords and a few others I dont know of I am sure.
Old 05-17-2014, 02:54 PM   #16
xwd

Drives: 2013 DGM Subaru BRZ (Subie #9)
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basket Case View Post
What sort of "caveats"?
The only caveats I'm aware of are the electric oil scavenge pump, which as I've read is rather loud, and you also need to replace the front sway bar with their custom one due to the turbo piping. It's a bigger bar so probably not a big deal but I wouldn't consider it ideal.
xwd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to xwd For This Useful Post:
Calum (05-17-2014)
Old 05-17-2014, 02:58 PM   #17
AllDayJonRay

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Using stock header yes you can with ptuning however eventually someday that cats gonna eat away "and how long is that, 1 week, 2 years who knows??, slightest chunk into the turbo and boom...... Once they release their header for public sales that dissolves but puts it 1300-1600 bukeroos over competitions cost for a basic setup overall. There is no debating Ptunings location and performance is great, absolutely it is. However everything that IMO is needed, the manifold, the lavacore oil cooler is all "to be announced" still on their page and will take some patience to aquire all this. Don't forget now youre over 300TQ you'll NEED a clutch and you need other supporting mods aka catch cans etc. Based on current pricing I put the PT kit complete with supporting mods easily in the 11-12K mark.

Would I love this kit, sure damn rights its just in its infancy abit company wise with "this kit" and other parts of the whole picture wise and ya its pretty much most expensive kit aside from say crawfords and a few others I dont know of I am sure.
The OP already has a header. The PTuning kit will bolt up to any aftermarket header that mates to the factory overpipe's location.

All the other additional expenses you compiled for the cost of the kit are supporting mods that are just as necessary with any other turbo/FI kit on the market as they are with the PTuning kit (oil cooler, clutch, catch can, etc).

If you're going to be applying the cost of a clutch, oil cooler, catch can, etc., to the overall cost of the Ptuning kit, those same expenses should be applied to every other option being considered, no?

So the catalytic converter is the only legitimate caveat mentioned so far. I'm in to hear the others.

'13 Ultramarine 6MT FR-S || K&N Drop-In, SpeedFactory V1 Cat-Back || Moto-East tuned

Join the 86 Owners Clan on Clash of Clans: "86 Owners" Password: "fa20" || Help us take over the world || Thread
AllDayJonRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 03:01 PM   #18
AllDayJonRay

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Is the electric pump really a caveat if there are zero instances of it failing? I know the sample size is still relatively infantile, but we have no reason to believe the pump is a shortcoming as of yet. (I can't comment on the noise level, however)

The kit coming with an upgraded sway bar seems to be a perk, IMO.

'13 Ultramarine 6MT FR-S || K&N Drop-In, SpeedFactory V1 Cat-Back || Moto-East tuned

Join the 86 Owners Clan on Clash of Clans: "86 Owners" Password: "fa20" || Help us take over the world || Thread
AllDayJonRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 04:40 PM   #19
ptuning

Drives: White FR-S
Thanked 1,003 Times in 305 Posts
Mentioned: 146 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
I hate to be the master of the obvious, but you get what you pay for. I'll try to reiterate it again. Our turbo system is not arbitrarily priced high. The quality of the components as well as the numbers of included components dictates the price.

- Not only are we using a true Garrett GT turbo, but we're using one with a $300 Tial housing. Our turbo ALONE is more than a third of the price of the entry level turbo systems. We would have absolutely no problems developing a regular front mount turbo system with a $550 Precision or Garrett JB turbo and selling it for $3,500, however, that is not the market that we are targeting.

- Our 3" downpipe terminates near the entry to the stock cat-back. Unless your front mount kit is supplying you with a free 3" overpipe and 3" frontpipe, you might want to add that to your shopping cart if you're aiming for a full 3" turboback system.

- Some kits charge you another $100-$150 to recirculate the wastegate. Another addition if you want a quiet turbo set-up. Recirculated WG is standard with our set-up and you can convert to a DTA WG with a simple WG dumptube and downpipe cap option.

- Does your kit include a free pre-tapped and welded oil pan? If not, don't forget to add it to your shopping cart. Is a shop doing the install? removing and re-install a new oil pan is a messy job and one that your local shop is not going to be doing for free. The plus side to our scavenging pump is that it negates the need to mess with the oil pan. We include the most expensive Turbowerx scavenging pump on the market with a 10,000 hour service life.

- Are you running a GT3071R or larger turbo? Does your turbo kit include a proper 4" intake, or does it use a 2.5"-3" u-bend with a mounting tab and a reducer to connect to your turbo compressor's 4" inlet. If not, are you just running a filter right off of the turbo. We include a proper 3-piece 4" mandrel bent intake tube and CNC formed air intake shroud with our setup. The intake is neither easy nor cheap to build.

- Are you running an larger aftermarket front sway bar? If not you may want to add it to the list too. We can tell you from experience that the front bar is designed to run with the stock suspension and stock wheels. You WILL want a larger front sway bar to deal with the additional leverage imposed by going with wider wheels and stiffer spring rates. Once you change out your wheels or even springs, you can throw the Subaru/Toyota's "finely" calibrated sway bar rates right out the window. Again, we include a custom front sway bar with our turbo system.

Also, let me address the cat debate again. We DO NOT run excessively high EGT's with our setup and we do not run an internal wastegate. We designed a WG priority turbine inlet pipe for our set-up. If your cat decides to make a run for it at high rpms, it will makes it way through the WG first. Any remnants that may make its way through to the turbo will unlikely do any damage to it.

How often do you hear a PTUNING customer having to make a run to Home Depot or the auto parts store for missing coolant lines, bolts, brackets, etc when installing their turbo system? It's not a coincidence that PTUNING customers are the ones at the track checking tire pressures and speed detailing our cars between run sessions. Just food for thought.

Lastly, this goes to the DIYer's, there's nothing wrong with making your own turbo system to "save" money over a purchased one. This is a great idea if you have something in mind that brings new ideas to the table. Otherwise, keep in mind that you will not be able to achieve the same production quality as a manufacturered system. Furthermore, good luck trying to sell a "made by Joe Schmoe" turbo kit in the for sale section, should you decide to get rid of your car and need to sell your turbo kit. We've been in this business long enough to know that one off home made kits often sell for pennies on the dollar, if at all.

My 2 cents.

- Toan
ptuning is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to ptuning For This Useful Post:
AllDayJonRay (05-17-2014), AtlasMick (05-18-2014), Calum (05-17-2014), CSG David (05-17-2014), CSG Mike (05-17-2014), Frs300 (05-17-2014), rb6freak (05-18-2014), Reaper (05-17-2014), Revolutions Performance (05-18-2014), Sportsguy83 (05-19-2014), woode (05-17-2014)
Old 05-17-2014, 06:02 PM   #20
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Wow, I didn't mean to stir such a debate. The caveats I was talking about are: I disagree with PTunings sway bar philosophy. I'm not willing to lose the windshield washer bottle and the last time I checked the relocation kit wasn't available yet. And finally I don't like loosing the factory strut brace. But those are my OPINIONS, they are subjective and not an indication of the total kit. Those opinions only mean that I'm not a part of the target audience.

I didn't mention the kit because I wanted to bash PTuning, I mentioned it because I thought it warranted research by the original poster. PTuning has put together an excellent kit, that should tick a lot of boxes for most FI shoppers.

So, let me rephrase my original post. The PTuning kit will allow the use of the aftermarket header, and is an excellent kit overall. It was clearly very well made, thought out, and put together. The kit does make some compromises in the name of power and delivery that I'm not willing to make, but many people are, and therefore the kit is well worth OP looking into.

Sorry @ptuning, I am a fan of the work I've seen from you guys and you have my full respect. I was in a hurry and didn't realize my post, that was intended to point OP in a direction for his research, would result in this shit.
Calum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calum For This Useful Post:
Sportsguy83 (05-19-2014)
Old 05-17-2014, 06:29 PM   #21
2ndgenhachi

Drives: 2013 fr-s, sr20 180sx
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I have been researching both options as well.(sc vs turbo) for the 250 whp goal both can meet and exceed that number fairly easily. It seems that sc is easier and quicker as far as install to run time. I.e factory tuned kits such as Jr and vortech. Turbo kits can provide verysimilar power bands with higher potential but require custom tuning must of the tune for optimal safety and power. I've had a turbo car but not a sc one. So my only first hand knowledge is somewhat limited. So imho you need to decide which is more important to u. Pinned back power or ease of install? Turbo will def push u back but may be more in depth to get set up just right. Sc will pull smoothly to red line. (Which is still really fun) and from my research would be a bit more "bolt on" for lack of a better term. Also the innovate kit comes on immediately but may be a bit short of your goal. Also keep in mind that it's been said by many experienced builders to take Ur hp goal and x 1.5 cuz like a lot of us u may want more. Best of luck in ur build. According to your budget u have several GREAT options. And if u want turbo and your header ptuning is hard to beat from what I've seen.
2ndgenhachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 07:32 PM   #22
buddy32

Drives: WRB Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum View Post
Wow, I didn't mean to stir such a debate. The caveats I was talking about are: I disagree with PTunings sway bar philosophy. I'm not willing to lose the windshield washer bottle and the last time I checked the relocation kit wasn't available yet. And finally I don't like loosing the factory strut brace. But those are my OPINIONS, they are subjective and not an indication of the total kit. Those opinions only mean that I'm not a part of the target audience.

I didn't mention the kit because I wanted to bash PTuning, I mentioned it because I thought it warranted research by the original poster. PTuning has put together an excellent kit, that should tick a lot of boxes for most FI shoppers.

So, let me rephrase my original post. The PTuning kit will allow the use of the aftermarket header, and is an excellent kit overall. It was clearly very well made, thought out, and put together. The kit does make some compromises in the name of power and delivery that I'm not willing to make, but many people are, and therefore the kit is well worth OP looking into.

Sorry @ptuning, I am a fan of the work I've seen from you guys and you have my full respect. I was in a hurry and didn't realize my post, that was intended to point OP in a direction for his research, would result in this shit.
I don't think anyone thinks u're bashing them. From their "tone" of typing, I feel like they just came on to say their piece. I thought that was a pretty good exchange to further clarify the intricacies of a turbo kit, because ultimately, a lot of newbies to turbos will think all they need is a "kit", and end up short on parts.
buddy32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 10:00 PM   #23
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptuning View Post
How often do you hear a PTUNING customer having to make a run to Home Depot or the auto parts store for missing coolant lines, bolts, brackets, etc when installing their turbo system?
I cannot stress this enough. If your kit manufacturer can't even include the proper fasteners... what other details are they skimping on?
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
AllDayJonRay (05-18-2014), ptuning (05-19-2014), Sportsguy83 (05-19-2014)
Old 05-17-2014, 11:40 PM   #24
WhiteCar

Drives: White GTS 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
But the thing with ptuning their kit isn't rhd Compatible or else I'd be all over it!
WhiteCar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteCar For This Useful Post:
ptuning (05-19-2014)
Old 05-18-2014, 12:56 AM   #25
rb6freak

Drives: 23 BRZ
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwx View Post
The only caveats I'm aware of are the electric oil scavenge pump, which as I've read is rather loud, and you also need to replace the front sway bar with their custom one due to the turbo piping. It's a bigger bar so probably not a big deal but I wouldn't consider it ideal.
Just to chime in on personal experience.

Its not as loud as some have reported. The reason whe all think and say its loud initially is because when we test it for the first time post install, the car is off, no oil flowing through yet and its cold.

When you're at a stop light you will hear it with windows down and very faintly with windows up. Its quieter than your radiator fans. When the AC is on you will not be able to hear it.

Lastly - you don't hear it at all when the car is is motion > 5mph.
Old 05-19-2014, 12:51 PM   #26
ptuning

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteCar View Post
But the thing with ptuning their kit isn't rhd Compatible or else I'd be all over it!
We can definitely make this happen. PM me if you're interested in being the first RHD customer.

- Toan
The Following User Says Thank You to ptuning For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (05-19-2014)
Old 05-19-2014, 12:54 PM   #27
ptuning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum View Post

No worries, my post was definitely not directed at you or anyone in particular. I trying to answer multiple questions/concerns from multiple posts all at once.

- Toan
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ptuning For This Useful Post:
Calum (05-19-2014), Sportsguy83 (05-19-2014)
Old 05-19-2014, 12:58 PM   #28
steveoexige

Drives: UK GT86 in White with alcantara
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptuning View Post
We can definitely make this happen. PM me if you're interested in being the first RHD customer.

- Toan
Typical, now you say you can look at a rhd kit (!) I emailed you guys just before xmas to try and convince you but you were too busy. Good luck to whoever gets a rhd kit - I'm sure it will be awsome. Obviously I'd have been all over this but am now committed to another....
steveoexige is offline   Reply With Quote