follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 04-18-2019, 03:03 PM   #1
Cookiemonster

Drives: '17 BRZ M6 & '17 Corvette Z06 M7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
'17 BRZ Limited vs '11-'13 NISMO 370z

This should be good.

Alrighty, this thread is meant for an opinion about which car you think is better suited as a streetable AutoX Car that I may also occasionally dabble with 1/4 mile drags for shits and gigs...but primarily weekend racing events. Both cars will be built cars and not be stock...I'll get to those details in a bit.

The cars in question are between the following:
2017 BRZ Limited going for around 18-22k (for a good chunk that I've seen on CarGurus.)
2010-2012ish 370Z NISMO going for 20-23k (also based on CarGurus searching) or 2015 Sport Tech trim for a few interior upgrades.

Plans for build on BRZ:

2JZ GTE w/ CD009 trans Swap via PURE running a setup to achieve ~600-650rwhp (peak for drag use, maybe less for road racing depending on power delivery and transferability to ground) on 93 Octane w/ meth if need be (no E85 where I live). I may build the engine wayyy down the road, but plan to keep internals stock to keep cost of initial swap down, hence no crazy high power numbers for the 2J.

Suspension/drivetrain mods to effectively put down power, big ol rears for help with traction, other supporting mods to handle new power output.

Cosmetics are very last on my list. Couldn't give 2 shits if aside from wheels/tires the external body is stock.

Plans for build on 370Z:

Fast Intentions Stg 2 or 3 kit, built VQ engine to hold ~same power goals as listed above, supporting mods to put down power, suspension, etc. I'm not looking to do a stroked engine due to cost. I'd rather see what the 3.7 can do when it's just beefed up enough to crank up the boost and not snap rods or blow crap through the block. If I can safely get more from the setup, great, if not, no biggy. Tune is what matters most to me post build, not just peak dyno #s, but we have to give a ballpark, right?

Same comments regarding exterior as the BRZ, don't care about that until after go-fast bits are good to go.

COST:

I know that cost will vary, I'm still trying to research that, but the hardest thing to nail down regarding cost is the 2JZ swap on the BRZ. Market flux for part costs, different goals with builds, discounts that people don't want to talk about, etc. But I'm hoping with my goals known, I can get PURE to give me a ballpark figure. No, I'm not a 'no expense spared' builder for this, but I'm also not a 'dreamer' who will see something like $25k for the swap and run.

370Z turbo kit alone sits around $13k, engine building to handle power will be a min of 10k, other supporting mods will easily place me around the 35-40k bracket.

Those that have swapped the 2JZ into the BRZ - I've seen your build threads, but would still love to know the overall cost (PM me if you're comfortable with it).

Anyone with experience on the 370Z route that can give feedback on what those cars are like boosted/modded vs the BRZ...chime in.

I'm trying to figure out the pros/cons of both setups and any input from those of you with experience in either field, please chime in.

Please, no comments about 'where to better place my money', mutual funds, 401Ks, and smart ass comments in general. I have a stock Z06 as my daily 'fun' car I want to keep that way...hence the project car. Ultimately, I'm looking at one of these cars so I can have fun building it and use for road racing and the occasional 1/4 mile run, that in the event the engine blows up or I eat a tire wall, it'll be ok and not screw me out of a DD.

Last edited by Cookiemonster; 04-18-2019 at 08:04 PM. Reason: Re-Focused Purpose
Cookiemonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 03:08 PM   #2
evomike

Drives: frs
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
buy a civic and track the vette
evomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 03:20 PM   #3
Cookiemonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by evomike View Post
buy a civic and track the vette
Not what I'm looking at, not even close. Reply type matches your name, though.
Old 04-18-2019, 06:53 PM   #4
86TOYO2k17

Drives: 2017 toyota 86
Thanked 1,188 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quick cliff notes summary. Correct me if I’m wrong.
But your basically asking what would be better
A stock 2jz swapped turbo brz build making 600+whp expected build $55k+
Vs a built engine turbo 370z making 600+whp expected $55k+
You seem to kind of know what your getting your self into, willing to spend the money, and don’t care about other car suggestions like why don’t you just get a vet or mustang etc..
86TOYO2k17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 06:56 PM   #5
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
willing to swap a 2jz in a brz but not willing to stroke a stock motor?
Old 04-18-2019, 07:02 PM   #6
86TOYO2k17

Assuming that is basically correct. I’ll give my 2cents. Although disclaimer myself like he majority of people on here who will respond have no personal experience with either of those two specific build plans.

But a few points.
2jz although legendary and known to make gobbs of power is pretty dated technology now. Your also swapping an engine not designed for this platform so bound to have headaches and issues. A lot of people have done it yes. But most people get it driveable or able to make passes on a strip but never truly complete. random things to always finish and complete.

The 370 retaining stock engine but built will probably be a lot easier and less issues and headaches that you have to figure out and sort.
The 370z can most likely fit wider tires then the brz.
Both cars are solid on the track and any car can be made for the strip, but I’d say the 370 is more “draggy” and the brz more “tracky”
If end goal both cars will be pretty much the same. A built engine and turbo seems way easier/simpler then a 2jz swap.
Old 04-18-2019, 07:07 PM   #7
Pat

Drives: 2023 BRZ
Thanked 1,250 Times in 676 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Exactly what series do you plan on racing these cars in?

There is no such thing as a proper steetable road racing car. Road racing cars have cages. You should not drive a caged car on the street.
Old 04-18-2019, 07:31 PM   #8
Cookiemonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat View Post
Exactly what series do you plan on racing these cars in?

There is no such thing as a proper steetable road racing car. Road racing cars have cages. You should not drive a caged car on the street.
Good catch on the cage plus street, should have thought of that. Looks like it'll have to be autox instead. I'll roll within SCCA, most likely Street Modified class within National Solo.

If I actually got serious then I'd apply for a NASA license and look to compete within PT or ST classes depending on power to weight that the car would sit at, but again, that would require a cage...so then my goals would have to shift and like you said, not be streetable at that point due to the cage.

I'll edit my original post stating AutoX, thanks for the reminder.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cookiemonster For This Useful Post:
Pat (04-18-2019)
Old 04-18-2019, 07:44 PM   #9
Cookiemonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86TOYO2k17 View Post
Quick cliff notes summary. Correct me if I’m wrong.
But your basically asking what would be better
A stock 2jz swapped turbo brz build making 600+whp expected build $55k+
Vs a built engine turbo 370z making 600+whp expected $55k+
You seem to kind of know what your getting your self into, willing to spend the money, and don’t care about other car suggestions like why don’t you just get a vet or mustang etc..

Are you saying 55k+ for the car and the modifications or just modifications alone?

I've come from imports going back to my 97 GS-T as my first entrance into turbocharging and modifying cars back when I was in HS. All I've done is modify imports, so I'd rather stick with what I'm familiar with in regards to why I don't just go stang/C5orC6. Plus, there's always been a draw to the 86/BRZ platform and the 370Z having once briefly owned a 350Z back in 2011.

I'm looking for anyone who has had experience with swapping to the 2J to chime in as far as what it's like throwing it around a track and if they've had tons of issues or noticed that the feeling of balance has changed dramatically, a little, or not really much at all. I'd consider an LS swap if adding F/I to that down the road was going to be an option and not limited by engine bay space. I'm also hoping people with experience on the VQ platform can comment with their experiences as well, but I guess that may have been wishful thinking on my part. Looks like I may take to their forums for their XP regarding the TT + moderate build VQ.
Old 04-18-2019, 07:49 PM   #10
Cookiemonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoni View Post
willing to swap a 2jz in a brz but not willing to stroke a stock motor?
stroking a somewhat built motor like I'm planning would cost another $6k minimum for me that I simply have no need for at this time. 2JZ = 3.0, VQ37HR = 3.7...displacement on both is fine for my needs.

Also, I'd be sending the BRZ to PURE for fabrication to fit the 2J and the CD009 trans since I'm not welder/fabricator...combined with their harness and ECU solution, everything else shouldn't be too difficult, considering.
Old 04-18-2019, 08:29 PM   #11
86TOYO2k17

I was saying 20k car + 30k or more on mods. Although if modding to the level you are why not get a higher mileage cheaper one if your replacing so much?
And I wasnt asking why not a stang/vet. Just most people would suggest something like that and you have made up your mind between the 86/370.
You also said a drag car, but now switched to autox? You don’t really need 600whp for autox. But the 86 would probably be better starting platform for autox. A built engine/turbo pushing 400-450whp, tranny, suspension, brakes, weight reduction. And you’ll have a autox monster. If sticking to drag car a built 370 would be a beast.
Old 04-18-2019, 09:38 PM   #12
Pat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookiemonster View Post
Good catch on the cage plus street, should have thought of that. Looks like it'll have to be autox instead. I'll roll within SCCA, most likely Street Modified class within National Solo.

If I actually got serious then I'd apply for a NASA license and look to compete within PT or ST classes depending on power to weight that the car would sit at, but again, that would require a cage...so then my goals would have to shift and like you said, not be streetable at that point due to the cage.

That's a HUGE change. I'm glad it helped, but am also a little concerned about other things that may have not been considered. You may want to befriend a bunch of local racers before spending any money and get their input.
Old 04-18-2019, 10:28 PM   #13
Jpembry

Drives: 2019 Subaru BRZ Series.Gray
C7 grandsport, used R35 GT-R, or A90 Supra..
Jpembry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 11:05 AM   #14
Pat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookiemonster View Post

Get the license and experience, then the race car. Not the other way around.

Tags
2jz swap, 370z, brz