follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 11-12-2011, 12:26 AM   #71
MF_DEUCE
Adventure Enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Page 6:

Last edited by MF_DEUCE; 11-12-2011 at 01:03 AM.
MF_DEUCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 01:05 AM   #72
MF_DEUCE
Adventure Enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Ill do the rest when i get more time.
Old 11-12-2011, 01:46 AM   #73
davey90
Akina Speed Stars

Drives: White 86 GTS Auto [CID- ***]
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to davey90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kids Heart View Post
Hey hey hey! iPhone Jailbreak came first dammit.
lol! iPhone jailbreak and Android root/flash is different things.

iPhone is a locked ROM to the phone. therefore Jailbreak

Android being like the ECU of the FT-86 its freely flashable. all depends who your network provider is some may lock your ROM to your phone. Unlike Apple which is locked to begin with. =)

anyways....

ECU flashing....hm....gotta do some research. =D
davey90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 01:55 AM   #74
davey90
Akina Speed Stars

Drives: White 86 GTS Auto [CID- ***]
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to davey90
@MF_DEUCE Nice stuff man, thanks for the translation!

Now... i'm not so good with engines and stuff, but i love going to track days. The part on where it says "Atmospheric: nothing of turbo, at least in the Toyota series. Another thing is to provide trainers; is an engine with many possibilities..." that go me thinking... does that mean I can plug a turbo on it and flash the ECU?
davey90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 04:41 AM   #75
subatoy

Drives: subatoy
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by davey90 View Post
@MF_DEUCE Nice stuff man, thanks for the translation!

Now... i'm not so good with engines and stuff, but i love going to track days. The part on where it says "Atmospheric: nothing of turbo, at least in the Toyota series. Another thing is to provide trainers; is an engine with many possibilities..." that go me thinking... does that mean I can plug a turbo on it and flash the ECU?

mmm nope. the compression ratio is not turbo friendly in any way.
Some people are concerned that there is no space in the engine bay where the usual Subaru turbo layout goes.
if by plug-in turbo you mean a turbo kit, I'm sure there will be plenty of aftermarket options but the engine as it sits is NO good for forced induction.
subatoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 04:44 AM   #76
2fast4you

Drives: 2006 Scion tC RS 2.0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostamojen View Post
Tried to get some more detail out of those engine bay photos, and added some notes:

Attachment 2619
The "also intake?" is a resonator used to make the engine sound less like a vacuum cleaner inside of the cabin; the 1st gen Scion tC had a similar box and it was pointless. The "sound tube" found on the Gazoo AS1 is similar to system found on the new Mustang GT:

I'm presuming the Gazoo engine bay is the more recent design and that Toyota and Subaru are going with the sound tube since it seems to have a better effect than the resonator; I guess we have a little over two weeks to find out for sure.
Old 11-12-2011, 04:45 AM   #77
Abflug

Drives: MR2
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
gracias!
Abflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 05:07 AM   #78
ryun84

Drives: 04 PSM WRX Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fast4you View Post
The "also intake?" is a resonator used to make the engine sound less like a vacuum cleaner inside of the cabin; the 1st gen Scion tC had a similar box and it was pointless. The "sound tube" found on the Gazoo AS1 is similar to system found on the new Mustang GT:

I'm presuming the Gazoo engine bay is the more recent design and that Toyota and Subaru are going with the sound tube since it seems to have a better effect than the resonator; I guess we have a little over two weeks to find out for sure.
^ Thought the same. Subarus also have an intake silencer (aka Snorkel) that branches off in the passenger side front fender prior to rerouting back to the intake manifold. Could be something like that.
Old 11-12-2011, 07:13 AM   #79
Matador
hashiryu

Drives: Mk4 Supra
A slightly more accurate translation. Anybody with time and photo shop skills can feel free to over lay it

Reinforced
The chassis is designed to support a lot of torsion. The strut braces are stock.

Normally Aspirated
No turbo, at least in the stock Toyota. What tuners will offer is another thing, this is a motor
with lots of potential

Motor
Maintains a Subaru boxer layout, but gets heads and manifolds with Toyota's D4-S dual injection
system that debuted on the Lexus LS600h

Non-Green
Though the low weight allows [the car] to not need a lot of power, there aren't any measures such as
stop/start or energy recovery.

The power of the web
She should have been seen for the first time in the halls of Tokoyo [Tokyo Motor Show] in November,
but someone uploaded tuner brochure photos to the internet, and the calendar of the FT-86 ['s release info] has changed.
If you search the web, you will find mountains of japanese tuner brochures that offer modifications to augment the power, modify the chassis
or change it's style. From the factory, one can chose from two developments of Manual transmission, inline with what the customer would like to use it for,
for street, or for street and circuit [ed: probably referring to hi-spec and low spec]

Photo caption: Small wing
It is even possible that it won't have a wing stock. Optionally there will be many.

Our opinion
Car enthusiast screamed for a car like this. I'll put my hands in the fire [head on the table] and bet that this will become a cult classic
The 'FT' stands for 'forgot topic'.

Last edited by Matador; 11-12-2011 at 07:24 AM.
Matador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 07:33 AM   #80
RWD_only
Lurks 'n stuff

Drives: 1994 Mazda Miata
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Great translation, Matador, thank you!

The ECU is big, big news and we should all be thankful of the bullet we dodged by not having one of Toyota's traditional on-nigh-impossible-to-tune-ECUs!

I think the cluttered engine bay is just for the pre-production model, I'd be very surprised if vacuum tubes and the like were placed that haphazardly. Speaking of, that engine bay is CRAMPED!

To fix a minor mistake: the magazine says all the cars pictured have a square bore and stroke of 86x86. The mk4 supra, 3SGTE powered GT4, and the FT86 have a square 86x86, but the original AE86 did not (which was 81x77 if my sources are right.)
RWD_only is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 08:01 AM   #81
Matador
hashiryu

Quote:
Photo caption: Finally
By layout they have little similarity, but the FT-86 is the successor to the Celica. I never understood why the killed it

Photo caption: Obtainable
They assured us that it will have an appealing price and maintenance cost of a compact car.

This is about a car made with synergy ithin the Japanese group. This condition allows three defined models to exist following the function
of the brand that will bring it to market, Toyota Subaru or Scion. Each brand will leave it's mark on the badges, interior and the possibility of slight
but interesting variations in the mechanical bits.

It employs a completely new chassis. Before making this car they defined these musts; It had to be a fun car, with rear wheel drive, very light and compact,
without turbo and easy to drive. But there was something else; It had to use tyres with normal measurements. They didn't want a stratospheric sportscar with a wild
motor and huge lateral inertia when driven fast. In summary a car that is agile, quick, fun and economical. And that is what they have built, at least up to when
I have driven it. I hope from there they don't try to water it down.

It keeps a lot of similarities in shape with the last generation celica, but it has nothing else to do with it. It's chassis employs independent suspension, with MacPherson
struts up front and double wishbones in the back. It's powered by a gasoline 4cyl boxer. It's the same 2 liter NA Subaru, but evolved by Toyota. As such, it has small injectors
in the head - direct injection - and another in the intake runners -port injection- being able to work together or independently according to the demands of the ECU.
They didn't want to tell me the final power figures, but they assured me that the car would have a power to weight ratio of less than 6kg/CV (13lbs/hp)...
If we estimate that it has 150cv in the subaru model then that leaves us with a total of 900kg!If you opt for an estimate of 200cv (the car I tried was somewhere between those two power figures)
it will be about 1200kg, which isn't bad at all either.

It has two types of transmission. The one I tried was equipped with a 6 speed manual. They assured me that there would be two possibibilties of development, following the country [market] that it will go to
or the taste of the customer (lolwtfbbqwaffles?!?!?! Implying perhaps different ratios between hi spec and low spec or different gear ratios/final drives for different markets). The other option is a torque converter automatic
exactly the same............
Quote:
Same recipe,
different Ingredients

Toyota FT-86
Of the three variants, this will be the first to hit the european market. It will only be available NA. It promises to be
the most obtainable (read:cheapest) of the three. It wiill be seen for the first time at the Tokyo motor show (nov 28 to dec 2).
In march 2012 it will arrive in Europe at the Geneva auto show and go on sale in June
Old 11-12-2011, 08:03 AM   #82
Matador
hashiryu

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWD_only View Post
To fix a minor mistake: the magazine says all the cars pictured have a square bore and stroke of 86x86. The mk4 supra, 3SGTE powered GT4, and the FT86 have a square 86x86, but the original AE86 did not (which was 81x77 if my sources are right.)
Totally correct.

P.S. No problem
Old 11-12-2011, 09:40 AM   #83
Matador
hashiryu

Quote:
Photo caption: A wish
We would love to see Toyota again in the WRC. The FT-86 is not projected to be awd, but circuits exist for a reason.

...as mounted in the IS F. Now for the best part Rear wheel: drive with Torsen LSD! Between the fact that the motor is mounted low and slightly behind the front axis (and wheels?!?)
a better weight distribution and lower center of gravity than a Cayman (Porsche) is obtained... at least that is what they assured me. This prototype unit wore modest Michelin
Primacy HP tyres in 215/45 on 17"wheels which complies with one of their "musts" to perfection.

Camo'd with not too flattering tape, they hid even the steering wheel. I could not see the whole dashboard nor the rear seats. There isn't a large space, up to where my eyes could see it's
a 2+2 more that a true 4 seater, I wasn't allowed to take photos. The test began very well "it starts with a red button!! " (ed:lmao) If it was a white one it wouldn't have been the same, don't you think? (ed:roflmao)
It sound like a subaru and it has that light vibration so characteristic of boxers at idle [ticking over]. I missed a stiffer direction [turn in? Steering, general direction.. not sure] and I explained that to the six! Japanese
Who took note of everything I said when I got out. The feel of the metallic shifter and short throws; Perfect.
I engage 1st and I'm off. It's lightness, quick turn in (?) and the smoothness with which the motor propels it really grabs your attention. With a few quick developments (huh?), the rpm rises like the subaru, sorry, Toyota that is,
giving a response at every moment. It is not uncomfortable despite it's firmness and it allows mischief. it has stability Control that can be totally deactivated of left in sport mode. The last of which allows a bit of oversteer,
but with it off I can do a bit of drifting..In every corner! even the quick ones. It's a very Noble and fun car. To give you an idea, it offers you the sporty feel of a clio RS but with the fun of rwd propulsion and the best thing is that
Toyota has liberated the electronics so the aftermarket industry can offer distinct tuning, as much in style as mechanical or behavior (suspension related ?).

Can you tell that I've liked it?
Old 11-12-2011, 09:41 AM   #84
Matador
hashiryu

Everything else seems gravy.

Tags
brz ecu tune, brz ecu tuning, brz forum, brz forums, brz review, brz reviews, brz software, brz tune, brz tuning, fr-s ecu tune, fr-s review, fr-s software, fr-s tuning, ft-86 review, scino fr-s reviews, scion fr-s ecu tune, scion fr-s forum, scion fr-s forums, scion fr-s review, scion fr-s software, scion fr-s tune, scion fr-s tuning, subaru brz ecu tune, subaru brz forum, subaru brz forums, subaru brz reviews, subaru brz software, subaru brz tune, subaru brz tuning, toyota ft-86 reviews