follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 06-01-2022, 10:15 AM   #29
dragoontwo

Drives: 22 BRZ limited
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
I know. I was replying to the fact that the original Delorean had one strut, which may be why they weren’t reliable for staying open, while showing other cars with two struts, like the render, and these cars appear to do fine with two struts, even if it seems like the doors wouldn’t hold.
I see. I misunderstood you.
dragoontwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 10:21 AM   #30
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,805 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
I think the drive article does have a good point though, there needs to be something fundamentally different to be worthwhile, and nothing in the render so far has that. Maybe it will be seating comfort, or even something with the UI. But as you said, it's been 40 years.. at this point, it is just a render, for yet another ev, from a brand that outsourced the digital design to another firm, and might not even have a production facility, let alone parts suppliers yet.

building cars is hard. I'll believe they exist once they get closer to current Rivian production status.
Why does it need to be different or worthwhile? What if all it is is a Tesla Model S with a different body and interior like a Dodge Stealth and Mitsubishi 3000GT? Why couldn’t they do that? A Toyota Yaris is literally a Mazda 2. Inside manufacturers, a Chrysler 300, Dodge Charger, Dodge Magnum, Dodge Challenger were all the same except for exterior and interior design. There is zero reason why the car needs to have a different powertrain. An Audi Q3 is built on the Golf powertrain and chassis with different suspension and exterior/interior styling.

All DMC needs to do is find a manufacturer and retain financial backing. This might not happen soon, but shared platforms will be far more common in the future.
Old 06-01-2022, 10:31 AM   #31
Dake

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
It has some retro styling in the tail lights, but I don't really see a need to make it similar to the original, as a retro car. It has been 40 years, so it can look like anything. Even cars that had continuous models were not always similar generation to generation like the fox body mustang to the 90's mustang or the jump from the R34 to the R35 GTR, and there are many more examples.

I'm not sure choosing the Dart and Integra are really the best options to support your premise.

The last Dart was considered a failure and there is a lot of frustration with the new Integra as well (though it will probably be fine). If anything, the Dodge Charger is probably a better example of how it can work - going from a 2 door to 4 with just enough homage to apparently be attractive to buyers.
Dake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 11:20 AM   #32
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,805 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dake View Post
I'm not sure choosing the Dart and Integra are really the best options to support your premise.

The last Dart was considered a failure and there is a lot of frustration with the new Integra as well (though it will probably be fine). If anything, the Dodge Charger is probably a better example of how it can work - going from a 2 door to 4 with just enough homage to apparently be attractive to buyers.
If the Dart was a failure then the same could be said about many cars like the 86. They sold 80k+/year for several years at a time when car sales were poor overall. VW Golf would also be a failure based on its sales figures for the same time, but they are stopping US production, so maybe it is.

I don’t think they need to pay homage to anything, especially when reintroducing the brand with a new model after a 40 year hiatus. They made one model as a brand, so they can make any model they want now. The original was a two door sports car. This render is a sedan. This is like Toyota releasing the AE86 in the 80’s then releasing the 2022 Camry and people saying the Camry doesn’t look anything like the AE86, or saying the new Panamera doesn’t look anything like the 80’s 911 or 928. Between the stainless steel exterior, gull wing doors, sleek and sporty design and some retro cues, I think there is enough homage for the brand and definitely for an all new model.