follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 06-08-2016, 04:54 AM   #2213
Mim

Drives: MY11 Maxima 350st, MY15 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by krayzie View Post
I find it interesting that if the Flexible V-bars are so good on paper, why don't they just make the old Flexible Tower Bar obsolete but yet it's still available for sale?

The Flexible Draw Stiffeners come with limited pictorial install instructions in Japanese. You'll figure it out after staring at it for sometime. Some people mentioned more understeer with them but I don't get that (could be tire choice), I just find the car cornering on rails with them (they are supposed to minimize alignment changes to the front wheels when cornering).

Wouldn't tire choice come into play with all these handling mods? Can't see how the limited grip of the stock tires are able to keep up with all these STI bits.
I can read bits and pieces of Japanese. Worst case I can dig up one of those phone apps that translates things you take a picture of. Most important bits of info for me though would be more around correct torqueing spec's.

Really appreciate your insight!
MY15 CWP A/T BRZ | Leather heated seats | STI CAI filter, A/T leather shifter, strut brace, V-brace, draw stiffener, battery tie down, Radiator cap, Oil cap, push start button | TRD door stabilizer | YoSpeed STI console garnish | Pioneer AVIC-F70DAB + Rev-camera, TS-WX710A sub | JL speakers, Amp | TOMS' Clear Brake Lights | Cusco 4.556 FD | Driveshaft Shop aluminum shaft | Tein FlexZ, EDFC AP+GPS | Crawford BPB
Mim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mim For This Useful Post:
krayzie (06-08-2016)
Old 06-08-2016, 04:58 AM   #2214
Mim

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSOmegaX View Post
Tire choice is significant yes. It's why the actual tS is fitted with Michelin PSS at the least. The stock tires would cry haha. With everything on and the PSS my car is completely neutral on turn in which just a little bit oversteer if I choose to induce it. This is with the car in VSC sport.

For me the biggest differences were the strut bar, draw stiffener, and sway bars. The bushings and mounts come after but made its own significant impact

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ok this is quite interesting!

Here are the accessory options Australian dealers offer. There's no mention of tires as part of any of the setups.

http://subaru-new-site.s3.amazonaws.com/brz.pdf

With the exception of the part numbers, there is no mention of STI in that document either.
MY15 CWP A/T BRZ | Leather heated seats | STI CAI filter, A/T leather shifter, strut brace, V-brace, draw stiffener, battery tie down, Radiator cap, Oil cap, push start button | TRD door stabilizer | YoSpeed STI console garnish | Pioneer AVIC-F70DAB + Rev-camera, TS-WX710A sub | JL speakers, Amp | TOMS' Clear Brake Lights | Cusco 4.556 FD | Driveshaft Shop aluminum shaft | Tein FlexZ, EDFC AP+GPS | Crawford BPB
Old 06-08-2016, 08:09 AM   #2215
krayzie
Drive From Home

Drives: BRZ STI Performance
Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,007 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mim View Post
I can read bits and pieces of Japanese. Worst case I can dig up one of those phone apps that translates things you take a picture of. Most important bits of info for me though would be more around correct torqueing spec's.

Really appreciate your insight!
The most important bit to keep in mind when installing the draw stiffeners other than the opposite orientation of the two bars to each other (only for the BRZ), is that they are length adjustable.

There is a crucial measurement of 3mm of a certain area when adjusting (the side where the ball joint sits), and the entire rod length should end up within a set range as dictated by the install instructions (IIRC no longer than 360mm).

You can get the torque specs off the BRZ service manual sticky thread.

So I guess it all makes sense now why there are both the Flexible Tower Bar and Flexible V-Bars for sale. The Flexible Tower Bar is certified by FHI as an approved OE optional part (for the stock setup I think Hyper.Blue comes with one installed), while the Flexible V-Bars is an aftermarket STI part only (meaning it probably isn't the best choice for stock).

There is also another thought of why they introduced the Flexible V-Bars to improve initial turn in, is it because of the stiffer STI rear axle and subframe which provide more grip to the rear, thus making the car harder to enter the turn? STI was initially hesitant in selling the rear axle.

I've actually stopped modifying the car further as I'm not sure if getting the rear axle and v-bars will require me to upgrade the tires as well (I'm currently running Michelin PS A/S 3 and I don't want 2 sets of tires as I hardly drive in winter due to road salt).

I believe nikitopo hinted to the fact that you should always try to balance front and rear stiffness for best handling.

Last edited by krayzie; 06-08-2016 at 08:31 AM.
krayzie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to krayzie For This Useful Post:
Mim (06-08-2016)
Old 06-08-2016, 09:38 AM   #2216
Mim

Quote:
Originally Posted by krayzie View Post
The most important bit to keep in mind when installing the draw stiffeners other than the opposite orientation of the two bars to each other (only for the BRZ), is that they are length adjustable.

There is a crucial measurement of 3mm of a certain area when adjusting (the side where the ball joint sits), and the entire rod length should end up within a set range as dictated by the install instructions (IIRC no longer than 360mm).

You can get the torque specs off the BRZ service manual sticky thread.

So I guess it all makes sense now why there are both the Flexible Tower Bar and Flexible V-Bars for sale. The Flexible Tower Bar is certified by FHI as an approved OE optional part (for the stock setup I think Hyper.Blue comes with one installed), while the Flexible V-Bars is an aftermarket STI part only (meaning it probably isn't the best choice for stock).

There is also another thought of why they introduced the Flexible V-Bars to improve initial turn in, is it because of the stiffer STI rear axle and subframe which provide more grip to the rear, thus making the car harder to enter the turn? STI was initially hesitant in selling the rear axle.

I've actually stopped modifying the car further as I'm not sure if getting the rear axle and v-bars will require me to upgrade the tires as well (I'm currently running Michelin PS A/S 3 and I don't want 2 sets of tires as I hardly drive in winter due to road salt).

I believe nikitopo hinted to the fact that you should always try to balance front and rear stiffness for best handling.
One of the greatest joy's I've had in owning a twin is performing a mod and enjoying the revelations around what impact that change had.

An incorrect assumption I'm finally getting my head around is just because a part exists is not reason enough to fit it. You at least need to have some basic understanding around why it was made and what impact (good or bad) it will potentially have on your own setup.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mim For This Useful Post:
krayzie (06-08-2016)
Old 06-08-2016, 09:54 AM   #2217
krayzie
Drive From Home

Drives: BRZ STI Performance
Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,007 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
An incorrect assumption I'm finally getting my head around is just because a part exists is not reason enough to fit it. You at least need to have some basic understanding around why it was made and what impact (good or bad) it will potentially have on your own setup.
^^^ THIS ^^^

My mechanic has made a similar comment to me as well. Basically just buy enough for your application and don't turn the hobby into an addiction of simply an exercise in spending money.

So as to what I mentioned earlier in simpler terms; if they have increased rear end grip with the stiffer rear axle and subframe setup, they probably had to correct for the increased understeer by relaxing the front setup with the Flexible V-Bars and taking out the Flexible Tower Bar. Choose your parts combo wisely.

Last edited by krayzie; 06-08-2016 at 11:54 AM.
krayzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 06:59 PM   #2218
muckypuppy

Drives: MY13 SWP BRZ Cosworth 2.3
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Ok this is quite interesting!

Here are the accessory options Australian dealers offer. There's no mention of tires as part of any of the setups.

http://subaru-new-site.s3.amazonaws.com/brz.pdf

With the exception of the part numbers, there is no mention of STI in that document either.
The dealers here use the stock Primacies and fit them to the STi 17 inch rims. When they originally announced these "S pack" upgrades, I didn't see the sense in paying for a set of rims with the same specs and tyres as stock,( only in black and with a huge mark-up) , so I imported my 18's in silver, which are currently wearing Pilot Sport 2's.
muckypuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 11:10 AM   #2219
norcalpb

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2023 Model 3
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitopo View Post
Hi Mim, I also have a 2015 car and noticed a very big improvement with the flexible strut tower brace. Maybe after the suspension revision and the updated bolts, the car needed more the tower brace. I believe that you need now better tires and make the rear a bit stiffer. When I installed the strut bar, I noticed sometimes the rear going a bit sidewise. I managed to fix this after installing a bigger bolt and an additional stopper in the rear subframe.

Here are the links:
https://www.japanparts.com/parts/detail/45368
https://www.japanparts.com/parts/detail/45367

Now I feel that my car needs a bit of dialing again in the front. Welcome to the tuning world . I believe I'll manage this with the longer steering gear bolts. I haven't installed them yet, but I heard that they make also a bit stiffer the front frame. Not too much, but as I said it doesn't need a lot in front.

Here is the link:
https://www.japanparts.com/parts/detail/47821

Regarding the flexible draw stiffener, I don't have an experience in the BRZ. However, I installed once a similar component to my Forester and I couldn't tell any difference. I am sure that you will feel an improvement in the BRZ, but not as massive as other parts. For the time being I want to spend my money to other improvements like exhaust etc.

Ok...a front strut bar would not make your car oversteer lol. It MIGHT make your car oversteer if you have a ton of front camber and the bar is acting as camber correction. You won't find camber correction with an "adjustable" front strut bar, as anything but a solid strut bar is a scam.

Also to say that you fixed oversteer by stiffening the rear subframe is misleading also. A stiffer subframe demands more mechanical grip from the tires and therefore will be the slipping point when slip angles occur.
norcalpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 12:36 PM   #2220
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalpb View Post
Ok...a front strut bar would not make your car oversteer lol. It MIGHT make your car oversteer if you have a ton of front camber and the bar is acting as camber correction. You won't find camber correction with an "adjustable" front strut bar, as anything but a solid strut bar is a scam.

Also to say that you fixed oversteer by stiffening the rear subframe is misleading also. A stiffer subframe demands more mechanical grip from the tires and therefore will be the slipping point when slip angles occur.
Hi ... I didn't mention anything about oversteer or understeer or tires slippage. It was just a matter of feeling. After installing the front strut bar, the front felt much stiffer and the rear was going a bit side-ways. Not the tires, but the suspension. There is a related video from whiteline which shows how the rear subframe moves. The issue exists from the factory. You just feel it more if the front becomes stiffer.
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 04:43 PM   #2221
chanomatik
Snow Don't Hurt!

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited 6MT CBS
Thanked 1,497 Times in 902 Posts
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Does anyone know how to apply the front bumper STI emblem without removing the front bumper? I know someone did it and shared it, but I can't find it. Thanks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk
chanomatik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 05:01 PM   #2222
kuczynskika

Drives: Harrop TVS86 STi BRZ tS
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanomatik View Post
Does anyone know how to apply the front bumper STI emblem without removing the front bumper? I know someone did it and shared it, but I can't find it. Thanks!

Basically you have to clip the emblem to the bracket and then have small enough hands to reach into the front of the bumper and line the bracket with the mounting tabs. Then you use a shorty screwdriver and try to screw in the bracket. Its a bitch and impossible if you have big hands/wrists. Need photos?
kuczynskika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 05:11 PM   #2223
chanomatik
Snow Don't Hurt!

Yes please! I have really small hands... Fortunately for this life hack, but otherwise unfortunately for everything else in life. Haha I want to mount it by tomorrow. I'm in the car show for Wicked Big Meet.

Old 06-11-2016, 05:20 PM   #2224
kuczynskika

Garage
Quote:
Yes please! I have really small hands... Fortunately for this life hack, but otherwise unfortunately for everything else in life. Haha I want to mount it by tomorrow. I'm in the car show for Wicked Big Meet.

Alright, so you see how I have my wrist in between the slats? My finger in both pics is pointing to where the first of 2 screws go. There are mounting pegs that each goes into. You should be able to hold a shorty screwdriver in the palm of your hand and be able to tighten them down. You prolly wont get them all the way in since the holes are not threaded/predrilled, but thats ok. They will hold just fine as long as you get them as tight as you can.
Attached Images

Old 06-11-2016, 05:51 PM   #2225
chanomatik
Snow Don't Hurt!

Thanks for the support! So all I have are these small screws, the emblem and the bracket. I'm not seeing where the screws mount into anything on the bracket. I might be missing a piece...

Old 06-11-2016, 05:54 PM   #2226
kuczynskika

Garage
Quote:
Thanks for the support! So all I have are these small screws, the emblem and the bracket. I'm not seeing where the screws mount into anything on the bracket. I might be missing a piece...

No, that is all correct. Once you get your hand in there you will see that there are molded pegs that line up exactly with the two holes in the mounting bracket. You line up the bracket with the pegs and the two screws screw into each peg, securing the bracket.

Tags
it sucks to be broke, sti omg!