follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 02-06-2020, 12:03 AM   #29
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,805 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will BRZ View Post
Yeah good point. Not exactly the same way, but I know what you mean. Feel like we’ll see some more of this.

Speaking of which. What about big oil and gas companies? Like of course there will still be a big demand for it for other things, but cars and trucks must be a huge part of it. What about like 18 wheelers and all the other trucks?
Yea, they will take a big hit.

For short range there are electric semi’s. For long range, hydrogen/electric would work, but that isn’t really necessary in the UK, as Tcoat pointed out. I don’t know if the law in the UK applies to commercial applications, but it should.
Old 02-06-2020, 12:04 AM   #30
Lantanafrs2

Drives: 2013 frs red
Thanked 3,088 Times in 1,654 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Ice have too many moving parts. Quality control is tricky even if the unthinkable happens and they're well engineered. Now enter emission and sound standards and it gets even more complicated, requiring elaborate and performance restricting ecu strategies and higher combustion temperatures. Modern ice manufacturing is mind blowing and the cost of tooling alone makes new engine development unappealing to car companies. That's the real reason that the supra is technically a BMW
Lantanafrs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 12:12 AM   #31
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Ev has too much firmware, and many more surface mount components on circuit boards.

There's just as much that can go wrong with an ev as an ice.
Old 02-06-2020, 01:45 AM   #32
serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantanafrs2 View Post
Ice have too many moving parts. Quality control is tricky even if the unthinkable happens and they're well engineered. Now enter emission and sound standards and it gets even more complicated, requiring elaborate and performance restricting ecu strategies and higher combustion temperatures.
The thing is, many moving parts doesn't mean unreliable, thanks to many decades of manufacturing experience. Look at all those Toyota and Honda engines happily humming along for hundreds of thousands of miles with only oil changes. As long as statistically the number of failures is small, the cost is acceptable.

In a few years probably all cars will be mild hybrids or full hybrids with no accessory drive belts anymore, making plugs, filters, and fluids the only maintenance items.

I have trouble seeing the Tesla semi (or any other electric truck) compete without legislative help (making diesel emissions too expensive). Long distance trucking needs a lot of fuel just to overcome rolling resistance from all the weight, which is why they have hundreds of gallons of fuel onboard.

Once you're producing the diesel, you also have a bunch of gasoline coming out of the oil. If there's less cars to use it, it'll just become cheaper. I think it's viable to sell gasoline at well under $2 per gallon, which actually makes it cheaper than electricity.
serialk11r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 01:55 AM   #33
alan.chalkley

Drives: 4wd zooks
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Here down under where most of our land does not have sealed roads , we might as well go back to riding horses , rather than waiting for solar panels to charge electric cars.
alan.chalkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 01:58 AM   #34
Irace86.2.0

Ironically this...

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hatav_Rdnno[/ame]

I think there are a few points that are missed in his examples and arguments to be made, but some may like this, as it is on-topic.
Old 02-06-2020, 02:17 AM   #35
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by serialk11r View Post
The thing is, many moving parts doesn't mean unreliable, thanks to many decades of manufacturing experience. Look at all those Toyota and Honda engines happily humming along for hundreds of thousands of miles with only oil changes. As long as statistically the number of failures is small, the cost is acceptable.

In a few years probably all cars will be mild hybrids or full hybrids with no accessory drive belts anymore, making plugs, filters, and fluids the only maintenance items.

I have trouble seeing the Tesla semi (or any other electric truck) compete without legislative help (making diesel emissions too expensive). Long distance trucking needs a lot of fuel just to overcome rolling resistance from all the weight, which is why they have hundreds of gallons of fuel onboard.

Once you're producing the diesel, you also have a bunch of gasoline coming out of the oil. If there's less cars to use it, it'll just become cheaper. I think it's viable to sell gasoline at well under $2 per gallon, which actually makes it cheaper than electricity.
I just bought oil and filters for the Q5, BRZ and Ducati (AMSOIL) $330ish. That gets done a few times a year. The Q5's water pump failed out of warranty last month at 48k miles. There was a recall on the 2.0T, but not the 3.0T, so that was $1200. I would have done it myself, but it was cheaper to pay someone else and work overtime than take days off to do it and possibly mess up or need to buy special tools. The next car for the wife will be an EV for sure, and this is from a guy who has saved thousands over the years doing work on my own cars most of the time. I can't imagine what other people pay in repair costs.

The Tesla Semi will be ideal for city and intercity, where the vast majority of trucks haul. Interstate would require hydrogen or future battery tech.

Legislation will kill oil before supply and demand has a say. We just can't continue dumping hundreds of millions of tons of co2 in the air.
Old 02-06-2020, 03:06 AM   #36
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Drives: Red Herring
Thanked 9,346 Times in 4,127 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan.chalkley View Post
Here down under where most of our land does not have sealed roads , we might as well go back to riding horses , rather than waiting for solar panels to charge electric cars.

I don't quite understand the point of your post.

"85.9 % of the population is urban (21,903,705 people in 2020)"
https://www.worldometers.info/world-...ia-population/

"Over 85% of Australians lived in urban areas and nearly 70% lived in our capital cities, making Australia one of the world’s most urbanised countries"
https://www.population.net.au/

Captain Snooze is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Captain Snooze For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (02-06-2020)
Old 02-06-2020, 04:07 AM   #37
serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
The Q5's water pump failed out of warranty last month at 48k miles. There was a recall on the 2.0T, but not the 3.0T, so that was $1200. I would have done it myself, but it was cheaper to pay someone else and work overtime than take days off to do it and possibly mess up or need to buy special tools.
Um, EVs have water pumps too...
serialk11r is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to serialk11r For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (02-06-2020), Spuds (02-06-2020)
Old 02-06-2020, 04:21 AM   #38
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
We just can't continue dumping hundreds of millions of tons of co2 in the air.
I am going full on, high boost turbo pessimistic pedant mode. I hope you're sitting down.
Deep breath, here we go.

Yes we can. This ball of rock we live on doesn't care if we radically reduce the population of just about every living thing on it.

I am reminded of Tragedy of the Commons.
"The tragedy of the commons is a situation in a shared-resource system where individual users, acting independently according to their own self-interest, behave contrary to the common good of all users by depleting or spoiling the shared resource through their collective action."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tragedy_of_the_commons

WolfpackS2k (02-06-2020)
Old 02-06-2020, 04:51 AM   #39
Tomm
Identifying as a Member

Drives: 2013 FRS LS1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Snooze View Post
Yes we can. This ball of rock we live on doesn't care if we radically reduce the population of just about every living thing on it.[/url]
You bring up a valid point. This upcoming mini ice age we are about to experience for the next 30 or so years is because of... wait for it... wait... The Sun. I'd like to see Congress men and women try to legislate the sun.
ACT Clutches - APEXi - Buddy Club - Carbing - DBA - Diode Dynamics - Fidanza - HKS - ICT Performance - Project Kics - RPM Transmissions - SEIBON - Sikky Manufacturing - SPC - Tick Performance - TK Style - VERUS - VOLK - Whiteline
Tomm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tomm For This Useful Post:
why? (02-06-2020), WolfpackS2k (02-06-2020)
Old 02-06-2020, 05:08 AM   #40
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomm View Post
You bring up a valid point. This upcoming mini ice age we are about to experience for the next 30 or so years is because of... wait for it... wait... The Sun. I'd like to see Congress men and women try to legislate the sun.
See, that's where your problem lies. We don't have Congress and our Senate will probably pass legislation making ice ages illegal but only for the southern hemisphere. Actually, now that I consider our government they'll probably get it wrong and make some stupid law about the moon.

soundman98 (02-06-2020)
Old 02-06-2020, 05:12 AM   #41
alan.chalkley

Drives: 4wd zooks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Snooze View Post
I don't quite understand the point of your post.

"85.9 % of the population is urban (21,903,705 people in 2020)"
https://www.worldometers.info/world-...ia-population/

"Over 85% of Australians lived in urban areas and nearly 70% lived in our capital cities, making Australia one of the world’s most urbanised countries"
https://www.population.net.au/
In order to see most of our country it is necessary to travel away from sealed roads and most of our population lives around the coastal areas.
alan.chalkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 05:23 AM   #42
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan.chalkley View Post
In order to see most of our country it is necessary to travel away from sealed roads and most of our population lives around the coastal areas.
Yep, sure, I get that but if things go pear-ish shaped maybe we'll just get a high efficiency solar powered bus. Maybe long distance private transport will dwindle away. Who knows? I will ask one of our neighbourhood magpies tomorrow.