follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ

User Tag List

Old 09-01-2015, 05:19 PM   #1
phongtphan21

Drives: 2013 Fr-s
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Start up issues?

Hey guys. I recently purchased my fr-s 2k13 a few months ago and I'm came to an issue when I start up my car, it doesn't happen often but once in a while it wouldn't want to start. Doesn't crank or make any noises. The lights and stuff comes on but it won't start.

Would you guys know anything about this? I took it to Toyota and they said everything was fine, took it in twice.

Any feedback will be great. Thanks.
phongtphan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 05:34 PM   #2
jawn

Drives: 2015 CWP BRZ Limited
Thanked 3,946 Times in 1,757 Posts
Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by phongtphan21 View Post
Hey guys. I recently purchased my fr-s 2k13 a few months ago and I'm came to an issue when I start up my car, it doesn't happen often but once in a while it wouldn't want to start. Doesn't crank or make any noises. The lights and stuff comes on but it won't start.

Would you guys know anything about this? I took it to Toyota and they said everything was fine, took it in twice.

Is it a manual? There's a button that the clutch engages in order for the car to start, and if that's stuck or broken, it can lead to this sort of behavior.
jawn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jawn For This Useful Post:
dj2020 (09-02-2015)
Old 09-01-2015, 06:32 PM   #3
Struckbylitenin

Drives: 10 Series FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
mine has done that; tightening the battery terminals fixes it
Struckbylitenin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Struckbylitenin For This Useful Post:
ScionFR-S (09-10-2015)
Old 09-02-2015, 01:41 PM   #4
dj2020

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by phongtphan21 View Post

I'm literally sitting at the dealership looking to get this fixed as well. The dealer believes it's the clutch neutral switch as mentioned above. If the switch is going bad, I believe you'll get intermittent starting issues because the ECU doesn't know the clutch has been depressed. My push button start simply cycles between off, ACC, and on without car firing up.
dj2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 02:09 PM   #5
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,816 Times in 16,425 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Yep, I’d go with a funky neutral switch or the battery is weak.

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 08:50 PM   #6
S84kam

Drives: FBRZS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
When I purchased the car during the winter it did that. I switch out my batteries to the optima and never had another issue. Hopefully I can update this post for the next winter to see how it goes
S84kam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 04:44 PM   #7
dj2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj2020 View Post
I'm literally sitting at the dealership looking to get this fixed as well. The dealer believes it's the clutch neutral switch as mentioned above. If the switch is going bad, I believe you'll get intermittent starting issues because the ECU doesn't know the clutch has been depressed. My push button start simply cycles between off, ACC, and on without car firing up.

Well, the dealer didn't get to my car yesterday so the clutch neutral switch is being swapped out today. However, the service advisor said that there is no guarantee that this is the problem because I am not throwing any error codes for this switch. He then proceeds to say modded car, aftermarket flash, supercharged, etc. The dealer is probably just covering their butts in case this doesn't fix the problem. Anyone else with JRSC Carb Tune where the car does not start with the push button intermittently? Anyway, this can even be a tune issue? I'm doubting a bad clutch neutral switch would even throw a code. @CSG Mike: curious to know what you think as well.
Old 09-03-2015, 05:45 PM   #8
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
I've not heard of it happening.

Hot starts have never been an issue with the JRSC and good tune. If you're on a custom or e-tune, then I can't speak for that specific setup.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 06:44 PM   #9
dj2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
I've not heard of it happening.

Hot starts have never been an issue with the JRSC and good tune. If you're on a custom or e-tune, then I can't speak for that specific setup.

Just CARB tune. Car will not start intermittently. Doesn't even crank. Just cycles between ON, ACC, and OFF as if the clutch isn't depressed. Doesn't matter if hot or cold start. Anyway, I still think it's the clutch neutral safety switch. I'll get the car back tonight and let you guys know if I still have these intermittent starting problems.
Old 09-10-2015, 01:20 PM   #10
ScionFR-S

Drives: Raven Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
tighten terminals happened to me too, I just hand tightened them and the car would sometimes start or sometimes just go dead
"To make it in America you need three things, a smile, a gun, and a plan. If you need to give up one thing, give up the smile. If you need to give something else up, lose the gun. But never, ever, give up your plan."

ScionFR-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 01:38 PM   #11
dj2020

Quote:
Just CARB tune. Car will not start intermittently. Doesn't even crank. Just cycles between ON, ACC, and OFF as if the clutch isn't depressed. Doesn't matter if hot or cold start. Anyway, I still think it's the clutch neutral safety switch. I'll get the car back tonight and let you guys know if I still have these intermittent starting problems.

So it's been a week since the neutral clutch safety switch has been replaced and I have not had any intermittent starting issues when I clutch in and use the push button start. I'm cautiously optimistic that was my problem and it's been fixed.
Old 07-19-2023, 06:24 PM   #12
dynarun55

Drives: 2015 midnight blue limited edition.
Quote:
So it's been a week since the neutral clutch safety switch has been replaced and I have not had any intermittent starting issues when I clutch in and use the push button start. I'm cautiously optimistic that was my problem and it's been fixed.
Looks like it has been a while, but I'm in the same boat now. Was that the actually fix ? Now that it's been more than a week
dynarun55 is offline   Reply With Quote