follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 06-18-2023, 11:10 AM   #43
Breadman

Drives: 2017 BRZ w/PP
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fableluke View Post
The first time i noticed bad OP was when i was doing a pull and past 5K i saw it bounce around 45psi but no higher than that, i backed off after i saw that. I do get 100psi Op on cold starts but 1-2 minutes it would be dropping to 60-70psi when the oil is around maybe 90-100F only. Meh i dont really want to bring my car to the shop since its about 40miles away. Driving with 1-5psi op i feel is kinda risky.

A little frustrating the shop is asking me to drive the car back but the 1st time i dropped off the bare longblock for them to inspect and find any oiling issues. Maybe im just a noob but wouldnt a machine/auto shop find obvious signs of oiling issues if they went through the entire longblock? They asked me to take it back running to check all of that. But hey maybe im salty i forked over 4k and my low op issues is still there.

No i believe its an IAG block. I bought it off a buddy for a good deal but he said might have issues. Its why i wanted a shop to inspect it.

Edit: found that old post about that cam sprocket intake plate thing and oil pressure. https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show....php?p=1802327

I wouldn't drive on that at all. My IAG block made 0psi when i tried to crank it over. It is fixed now but with 10w40 like you said it is nearly 100psi cold start and takes quite a bit of time to warm up and drop into the 20psis at idle. Maybe i am just paranoid because my OE block lost all its oil before the light came on. Get a uhaul trailer and take it back that way.
Breadman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Breadman For This Useful Post:
blsfrs (06-18-2023), fableluke (06-18-2023)
Old 06-18-2023, 12:32 PM   #44
fableluke

Drives: BLue 2013 frs
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breadman View Post
I wouldn't drive on that at all. My IAG block made 0psi when i tried to crank it over. It is fixed now but with 10w40 like you said it is nearly 100psi cold start and takes quite a bit of time to warm up and drop into the 20psis at idle. Maybe i am just paranoid because my OE block lost all its oil before the light came on. Get a uhaul trailer and take it back that way.
Could i ask what was the issue and what was done to fix it? Not sure if I am going to take back to this shop. They denied me warranty for not doing all the work they recommened, and the work i refused wasn’t anything to do with oil. They wanted to do another valve job. Got another shops opinion, they said sure they could use another valve job but they said could use them how they are just fine. I might just take this engine apart myself. Im no stranger to engine work. Im coming from b series motors, some k series, and chevy small blocks.

Yea I’ve got my own trailer and truck for that purpose. Trying to find another shop just getting a little too old to keep working on cars and also less patience than i had in my youth. Lol
fableluke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fableluke For This Useful Post:
blsfrs (06-18-2023)
Old 06-18-2023, 05:54 PM   #45
KillerBMotorsport

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blsfrs View Post
For a short time, @KillerBMotorsports had a problem with their oil pick up tubes being the wrong length. They have since corrected the problem, but you may have one of the older tubes. You might give them a call or email.
To the best of our knowledge, every one of those was accounted for.

This is an odd conundrum. I'm not super familiar with the AVCS cam seals on the FA engines, but with the EJs they are hit miss reliable when you disassemble them, so we always just replace them. Even if it was AVCS seal related, I would think it would have to be a huge or multiple leak points for pressure that low.

How many miles does it have with pressure that low?
KillerBMotorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KillerBMotorsport For This Useful Post:
blsfrs (06-18-2023), fableluke (06-18-2023)
Old 06-18-2023, 09:22 PM   #46
Breadman

Drives: 2017 BRZ w/PP
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fableluke View Post
Could i ask what was the issue and what was done to fix it? Not sure if I am going to take back to this shop. They denied me warranty for not doing all the work they recommened, and the work i refused wasn’t anything to do with oil. They wanted to do another valve job. Got another shops opinion, they said sure they could use another valve job but they said could use them how they are just fine. I might just take this engine apart myself. Im no stranger to engine work. Im coming from b series motors, some k series, and chevy small blocks.

Yea I’ve got my own trailer and truck for that purpose. Trying to find another shop just getting a little too old to keep working on cars and also less patience than i had in my youth. Lol

I believe there was an oil port blocked in the upper oil pan or something. They fixed that but then said the oil pump was bad or something. I had to pay for that out of pocket. Overall i was very unsatisfied with FAST of west chester. This took like 6.5 months or something. And this was after IAG took twice as long as the estimate on the build.

Honestly that is in the past and everything is in and works and makes whirly noises. At least I learned a few other things, like SoA isn't worth shit and don't expect anything from them.
Breadman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Breadman For This Useful Post:
blsfrs (06-19-2023)
Old 06-18-2023, 10:41 PM   #47
fableluke

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerBMotorsport View Post
To the best of our knowledge, every one of those was accounted for.

This is an odd conundrum. I'm not super familiar with the AVCS cam seals on the FA engines, but with the EJs they are hit miss reliable when you disassemble them, so we always just replace them. Even if it was AVCS seal related, I would think it would have to be a huge or multiple leak points for pressure that low.

How many miles does it have with pressure that low?
Not really sure. I do remember pulling the oil pan before giving the motor to the shop and finding what looked like a small piece of shop towel in the pickup screen on the killerb tube

Im just guessing about the cam sprockets, might be as easy as some failed seal, im hoping its something easy.

Last edited by fableluke; 06-18-2023 at 11:18 PM.
blsfrs (06-19-2023)
Old 06-18-2023, 10:45 PM   #48
fableluke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breadman View Post
I believe there was an oil port blocked in the upper oil pan or something. They fixed that but then said the oil pump was bad or something. I had to pay for that out of pocket. Overall i was very unsatisfied with FAST of west chester. This took like 6.5 months or something. And this was after IAG took twice as long as the estimate on the build.

Honestly that is in the past and everything is in and works and makes whirly noises. At least I learned a few other things, like SoA isn't worth shit and don't expect anything from them.

Ahhhh, might have the same issue as yours( man i hope). I pulled the oil pan and looked at the pickup tube found a piece of old shop towel, this was before i let the shop inspect the longblock

you or anyone know if i need to remove the engine to remove the upper oil pan? edit: looking through the manual, looks like ill need to pull it to remove the upper oil pan.

Last edited by fableluke; 06-19-2023 at 02:51 AM.
blsfrs (06-19-2023)
Old 06-27-2023, 01:46 AM   #49
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,805 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
blsfrs (06-27-2023)
Old 06-27-2023, 01:55 AM   #50
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,805 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
blsfrs (06-27-2023)
Old 07-04-2023, 05:47 PM   #51
blsfrs

Drives: 2013 frs base
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
I got my FRS put back together with a new timing cover. But I still have the same problem: High pressure at the sandwich and low at the galley.

I took the sandwich plate off again, (eliminating the JRDR) cooler, screwed on the filter. and this time I drove the car around for 45 minutes (instead of just monitoring pressure with the car sitting in the driveway).

Now my galley pressures look more like I'd expect. So, something is up with the JRDR system. I've ordered a tee and will double check the pressure in the timing cover and then figure out a way to flow test the oil cooler components.
blsfrs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to blsfrs For This Useful Post:
fableluke (07-05-2023), NoHaveMSG (07-05-2023), Ultramaroon (07-06-2023)
Old 07-05-2023, 11:26 AM   #52
blsfrs

Interesting discussion. One of the commentors described development of Hemi engines with oversized oil pick ups.

https://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=350063
Old 07-05-2023, 01:28 PM   #53
M0nk3y

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS / Chevy Colorado
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
I got my FRS put back together with a new timing cover. But I still have the same problem: High pressure at the sandwich and low at the galley.

I took the sandwich plate off again, (eliminating the JRDR) cooler, screwed on the filter. and this time I drove the car around for 45 minutes (instead of just monitoring pressure with the car sitting in the driveway).

Now my galley pressures look more like I'd expect. So, something is up with the JRDR system. I've ordered a tee and will double check the pressure in the timing cover and then figure out a way to flow test the oil cooler components.
What's the pressure differential you're seeing across the FRDR? I believe spec they say is 5-10 PSI of drop
Kyle H. - #89 STX
M0nk3y is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to M0nk3y For This Useful Post:
blsfrs (07-05-2023)
Old 07-05-2023, 02:07 PM   #54
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,325 Times in 7,383 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by M0nk3y View Post
What's the pressure differential you're seeing across the FRDR? I believe spec they say is 5-10 PSI of drop
He is getting around 50psi difference.

@blsfrs have you tried swapping your transducers for the gauges with each other to verify it isn't your second gauge reading wrong?
blsfrs (07-05-2023)
Old 07-05-2023, 02:51 PM   #55
blsfrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
He is getting around 50psi difference.

@blsfrs have you tried swapping your transducers for the gauges with each other to verify it isn't your second gauge reading wrong?
Yes, I've swapped transducers and compared both to a manual gauge.

With the oil cooler removed, I have no way to read pressure at the sandwich.

My galley pressures run up to 60-65 psi when hot at 6000rpm.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to blsfrs For This Useful Post:
fableluke (07-06-2023), NoHaveMSG (07-05-2023), Ultramaroon (07-06-2023)
Old 07-06-2023, 02:03 PM   #56
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,521 Times in 18,922 Posts
Mentioned: 1107 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:

Found it! Well done. Just send it back with a reference to this thread.