follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 11-30-2016, 09:56 PM   #1
rubbercow

Drives: 2022 GR86 (formerly 2014 BRZ)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Sigh, clutches?

HI THERE! THANK YOU FOR JOINING THIS THREAD. I'VE SEARCHED.

Glad you could join us. I searched high and low, and found many valuable threads, including this one. As well as many others with much good conflicting data within (as usual in vehicles forums). Flame away though.

Question pre-load:

• I've had terrible luck with two ACT clutches on two different cars previously, prior to 2009. My 'human averaging' from early threads up until 2015 seem to indicate that ACT still 'sucks' (first gear especially). I haven't seen much in the way of expensive plate explosions like I had though. In 2015 negative threads seem to drop off a lot, and late 2014 you start seeing respected shops like CSG suggest them.
  • The threads aren't super fond of Competition Clutch (stage 2 specifically), despite two local shops suggesting them (2016). I've only found a couple of positive posts. Are they up and comers?
  • Exedy, who now does a significant percentage of OEM clutches, seems to have almost no serious complaints (yes a few exist), yet overall, and in the voting threads, they are #2 at best. I had an Exedy re-branded TRD clutch on a seriously overbuilt vehicle, and it was pretty good (2010)?
  • I am installing an Edelbrock supercharger shortly. I am at 24k miles. I do not intend to exceed 200tq. I plan to do the other supporting mods. I want to keep the stock heavier flywheel unless forced not to (not a cost issue). I bathe properly, and my mother isn't obese. Let's keep this on clutches if anyone actually responds.
  • I daily drive 15k per year in this car, with half of it in heavy traffic. I bought this car specifically for this purpose. I taught my wife to drive a clutch on my M5 (trust me, built to last), and she still managed to burn it out. She may have to drive it periodically when I liqour-up. She's worth buying a clutch periodically, but I hate the complaining.

The actual questions:

1. Why isn't the Exedy Stage 2 rated higher in the ~200tq range?
  2. Did the Stage2 ACT with their matched flywheel get better in 2015, driving the reduction in negativity?
  3. Why is Competition Clutch being recommended by dealers such as Cobb?
I await my lashings. Thank you fellow Toybaru fans.

Added: The transmission will be replaced under warranty due to a lightly crunchy second-gear synchro. Subaru agreed to install an aftermarket clutch for free at the same time. A few posts on here, as well as Cobb have stated that they've seen slipping on the dyno with the stock clutch at 170+tq. With the free install, it seemed better safe than sorry. Still go with the stock clutch?

Last edited by rubbercow; 12-01-2016 at 08:03 AM. Reason: Added section at end
rubbercow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rubbercow For This Useful Post:
Strife26 (04-21-2017)
Old 11-30-2016, 10:52 PM   #2
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,827 Times in 16,429 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Hello rubbercow ......

So, your car has 24,000 miles on it and you are going to mildly boost it and use it for a DD.

Is your clutch bad now .. ??

If not, I wouldn't replace it, if it ain't broke.

See how easy that was ......

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 12:06 AM   #3
Mr.ac
[insert cool phrase here]

Drives: BRZ Premium
Thanked 1,558 Times in 930 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
You'll be fine boosting on an OEM clutch.
If and when it's time to replace the clutch I'll go with Exedy. Only because I have good experiences with them on my families cars. From Honda to Toyotas they been good in my book.

Way back when in my MR2 club days ACT clutches where always a hit or miss. Lots of broken bolts or rivets where common. Either you got a bulletproof one or died 3 months in.

Now I don't know how good they are now, but that's was from the mid 2000's.
Mr.ac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 12:43 AM   #4
Mr Nerd

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Your very first paragraph is missing a parenthesis.

I have nothing else to contribute to this thread.
Mr Nerd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr Nerd For This Useful Post:
Dogster70 (02-18-2017), Stang70Fastback (12-01-2016)
Old 12-01-2016, 01:25 AM   #5
Nah

Drives: 2013 Scion Frs 6mt
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Heard south bend was good
Nah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 01:37 AM   #6
menikmati

Drives: 2015 BRZ, 2005 STI
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubbercow View Post
  • I am installing an Edelbrock supercharger shortly. I am at 24k miles. I do not intend to exceed 200tq. I plan to do the other supporting mods. I want to keep the stock heavier flywheel unless forced not to (not a cost issue). I bathe properly, and my mother isn't obese. Let's keep this on clutches if anyone actually responds.
Based on this, I think the stock clutch will be fine.
menikmati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 02:01 AM   #7
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,827 Times in 16,429 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Nerd View Post
Your very first paragraph is missing a parenthesis.

I have nothing else to contribute to this thread.
........ don't do that no more.

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 07:44 AM   #8
kmbkk
First 86 Driver Baby!

Drives: FR-S, Flex
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
I agree with what others have said...keep the stock clutch until it starts to go out. I ran mine for almost 50K boosted miles before it needed to be changed.
kmbkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 07:59 AM   #9
rubbercow

Drives: 2022 GR86 (formerly 2014 BRZ)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thank you all.

Mr Nerd: Parenthesis added!

Mr.ac: Funny enough, one of my ACT experiences was on a MR2. Thanks for the Exedy feedback.

humfrz, menikmati, kmbkk: One thing I forgot to add is that the transmission is getting replaced under warranty thanks to a lightly crunchy second-gear synchro. Subaru agreed to install whatever clutch I want at the same time for free. A few posts on here, as well as Cobb have stated that they've seen slipping with the stock clutch at 170+tq. Would you still suggest going back with stock? If so, I'll definitely consider such.
rubbercow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 09:20 AM   #10
Stang70Fastback
A.K.A. Starlord

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Thanked 2,099 Times in 834 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
FWIW, I had two seasons of autocross on my stock clutch (stock engine), and even with all the hard launches (one season being on 245 RE71Rs), when the clutch was removed towards the end of the second season it showed "a little wear," so it was fine.

(It was only replaced as part of my throw-out bearing replacement.)
Stang70Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 09:40 AM   #11
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,284 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Thank you all.

Mr.ac: Funny enough, one of my ACT experiences was on a MR2. Thanks for the Exedy feedback.

humfrz, menikmati, kmbkk: One thing I forgot to add is that the transmission is getting replaced under warranty thanks to a lightly crunchy second-gear synchro. Subaru agreed to install whatever clutch I want at the same time for free. A few posts on here, as well as Cobb have stated that they've seen slipping with the stock clutch at 170+tq. Would you still suggest going back with stock? If so, I'll definitely consider such.
You have an interesting dealer if they will install whatever you want. Keep in mind that if you go with and aftermarket clutch and have further tranny issues down the road the same dealer (and most others) could deny warranty coverage due to an aftermarket clutch being installed. Be an odd situation but is possible.
Old 12-01-2016, 10:07 AM   #12
kmbkk
First 86 Driver Baby!

Drives: FR-S, Flex
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Thank you all.

If the dealership is willing to install it at no cost, I don't see a reason not to do it, other than warranty denial @Tcoat mentioned.

I've been happy with my Comp Stage 3 clutch. It does occasionally have some vibration in stop and go traffic, but nothing significant. I don't think you'll need a stage 3, though. FWIW I used an OEM pilot bearing instead of the one provided with the clutch kit. If you're hesitant to try Comp Clutches, though, you can look at South Bend clutches. I was heading that direction but got a really good deal on the CC.
kmbkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 12:41 PM   #13
WNDSRFR

Drives: FR-S,GTI
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
When I had my transmission replaced way back when, the service manager also offered to change the clutch. He asked if there was anything else I wanted him to do while the transmission was out. I declined since the car was new.

Now I'm going to install a Exedy Stage 1 clutch this weekend. I burned up my clutch last week at 93,000 miles and the smell is still stuck in my nose. What a stink.
I have the Phantom Electric Supercharger so the car has a lot more low end torque than most. And I just got some new super grippy tires. So, when I dumped the clutch in third gear, instead of the wheels spinning, the clutch spun instead. Oh Well.
I'm planning on doing the install myself in the garage. I'll let you know how it went.
WNDSRFR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WNDSRFR For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (12-01-2016)
Old 12-11-2016, 06:54 PM   #14
jwvand02

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
There were a lot of issues with some of the early Exedy clutches, a lot of people reported that they wouldn't fully disengage (the stage 2, if I'm not mistaken). They revised the design and reportedly fixed the problem.

If you're not planning on breaking 200wtq, I probably wouldn't worry too much about replacing the clutch though. I'm somewhere in the 240 range and having issues with mine slipping a litte, but only if I'm at 80%+ throttle and in a high gear.
jwvand02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jwvand02 For This Useful Post:
nikitopo (03-14-2018)