follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 08-26-2014, 12:13 PM   #5223
choi0706

Drives: t
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
which pulley size are you on?
choi0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 12:38 PM   #5224
TemeCal

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by choi0706 View Post
which pulley size are you on?
70mm
TemeCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 01:27 PM   #5225
xxscaxx

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TemeCal View Post
When my engine is cold (sitting for >4hrs), and I start it...it'll squeak shortly. It goes away within 30sec(?), or once I start driving. It sounds like it's coming from the alternator pulley, but I could be wrong.

Initially, I thought it was the idler pulley so I replaced that. No luck. Others speculated that it could be the "blue" gates belt I installed. I haven't tried going back to the standard "black" belt, so I can't confirm if this works.
I'm running the blue gates belt but the squeak is definitely coming from my alternator pulley. When I had the belt off to replace the idler pulley thinking the squeak was from that, moving the alternator pulley caused the squeal with my hand.
xxscaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to xxscaxx For This Useful Post:
TemeCal (08-26-2014)
Old 08-27-2014, 10:28 PM   #5226
bakilman

Drives: White FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I've noticed a little bit of chatter from the supercharger today. Haven't quite noticed it this loud before. It sounds like she's whistling a tad louder at idle as well. I have about 5k miles on it including a pair of 1k runs with only gas stops when I traveled back home. I'm planning on triple checking the oil tomorrow. Has anyone else experienced this or does anyone have other suggestions.
bakilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 11:06 PM   #5227
TemeCal

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakilman View Post
I've noticed a little bit of chatter from the supercharger today. Haven't quite noticed it this loud before. It sounds like she's whistling a tad louder at idle as well. I have about 5k miles on it including a pair of 1k runs with only gas stops when I traveled back home. I'm planning on triple checking the oil tomorrow. Has anyone else experienced this or does anyone have other suggestions.
Not sure what you mean by chatter. When my oil was low, it made a slight clanking(?) sound. I now get in the habit of checking my oil at every oil change. Mine has been low every time. It seems to be pretty common, so it'd be a smart move to check it!
Old 08-27-2014, 11:31 PM   #5228
J.C.

Drives: '13 Raven FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Idler Pulley issue

Hey guys, I was hoping someone could help me out with an issue I'm having with my idler pulley.

I'm a tech at Toyota and normally bring in my car to do maintenance when needed. Today I noticed a weird bell/metallic noise coming from my engine bay after testing out the Perrin CBE I installed and revving the engine. This noise ONLY occurs when I let go of the throttle at 4k rpm and goes off exactly at 3500rpm to 3000rpm then goes away.

Luckily the master tech was still around and he offered to take a stethoscope tool to pinpoint where the sound was coming from. At first I thought it could have been the Perrin accessory pulleys I installed (the alternator pulley) but after checking each pulley he located the sound coming from the idler pulley. He also noted that the pulley seemed to be "walking", as in it was wiggling from slightly tugging back and forth on it (which it isn't supposed to do).

Could it be that the bearing inside the pulley is going bad? I checked if the bolt was torqued correctly and it was. I'm thinking about contacting Innovate tomorrow to see if they can send me a new idler pulley.

Any help is appreciated!
J.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 12:49 AM   #5229
TemeCal

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.C. View Post
Hey guys, I was hoping someone could help me out with an issue I'm having with my idler pulley.

I'm a tech at Toyota and normally bring in my car to do maintenance when needed. Today I noticed a weird bell/metallic noise coming from my engine bay after testing out the Perrin CBE I installed and revving the engine. This noise ONLY occurs when I let go of the throttle at 4k rpm and goes off exactly at 3500rpm to 3000rpm then goes away.

Luckily the master tech was still around and he offered to take a stethoscope tool to pinpoint where the sound was coming from. At first I thought it could have been the Perrin accessory pulleys I installed (the alternator pulley) but after checking each pulley he located the sound coming from the idler pulley. He also noted that the pulley seemed to be "walking", as in it was wiggling from slightly tugging back and forth on it (which it isn't supposed to do).

Could it be that the bearing inside the pulley is going bad? I checked if the bolt was torqued correctly and it was. I'm thinking about contacting Innovate tomorrow to see if they can send me a new idler pulley.

Any help is appreciated!

Idler pullys are cheap. I'd just run to your local auto parts store and pick one up.

Part number: Gates 38018
The Following User Says Thank You to TemeCal For This Useful Post:
J.C. (08-28-2014)
Old 08-28-2014, 07:42 AM   #5230
sam69

Drives: GT 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.C. View Post

Any help is appreciated!

My idler pulley does the same and tends to bounce / chatter a bit as well

Have mentioned it to Sprintex but as usual their car does not have this problem so not sure what the cure is.
sam69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 12:07 PM   #5231
J.C.

Drives: '13 Raven FR-S
Innovate (Sprintex) Supercharger Owners Topic

I just picked up the replacement Gates pulley today. I'll report back if it fixes the problem for me.

I also got in touch with Adam from Innovate. He said he experiences the same weird sound except when his AC is on. Turns out it was the OEM idler itself. After changing that it was a lot quieter.

Last edited by J.C.; 08-28-2014 at 01:01 PM.
J.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 02:32 PM   #5232
Boofneenee
Go-Kart Enthusiast

Drives: Toyota Scion FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Maybe I missed it but have they developed a tune for the OFT yet?
Old 08-28-2014, 05:53 PM   #5233
DeliciousTuning
PhoneFlash by EcuTeK

Drives: Edelbrock Equipped - Subaru BRZ
Thanked 1,682 Times in 581 Posts
Mentioned: 403 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8686 View Post
I remimber that the complete tune kit comes with two free revisions.
based on your experince, Do I need more than that to get the maximum out of my headers and exhaust with Innovate SC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We are actually working on a new tune that uses a complete header back exhaust system running our new FlexFuel Kit. So far we have seen some pretty impressive results so yes there is the potential for more power.

Send us some logs and we can see what we might be able to do to improve the power a bit more with your headers.

I know there are quite a few of you looking for the 300whp mark and we have that setup now in place. We can not announce anything as of yet, but we will state it requires our new FlexFuel Kit, 69mm pulley, and full header back exhaust system. Just can not say which one and what power numbers right now.

Cheers,
William Knose
Delicious Tuning
DeliciousTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DeliciousTuning For This Useful Post:
8686 (08-29-2014), brianhj (08-29-2014)
Old 08-28-2014, 06:28 PM   #5234
Khorne
Super 86

Drives: Red 86 GTS
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boofneenee View Post
Maybe I missed it but have they developed a tune for the OFT yet?
Not yet, they had some issues with their car being taken off the street a few weeks ago with a defect notice (Australia sucks).
Khorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 09:25 PM   #5235
Boofneenee
Go-Kart Enthusiast

Drives: Toyota Scion FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khorne View Post
Not yet, they had some issues with their car being taken off the street a few weeks ago with a defect notice (Australia sucks).
do you know if the tune will be free like all of the OFT tunes?
Old 08-29-2014, 02:34 AM   #5236
Khorne
Super 86

Drives: Red 86 GTS
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boofneenee View Post
do you know if the tune will be free like all of the OFT tunes?
No idea sorry, i know they aren't associated with Shiv but using the tablet manufacturer to help with the tuning.
They will be selling the tablets directly, but no idea if they will be distributing the tunes.
Khorne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Khorne For This Useful Post:
Boofneenee (08-29-2014)

Tags
2 whp better than n/a e85, 2 whp? you're an idiot., 2screwsbetterthan0screw, 65 whp better than na e85, bspt fittings ftl, hate u all me no have sc, im just here for the tags, inorite!, it's no turbo but, only big numbers matter, screwyou, whine sexier than turbo, whines_more_than_your_gf, wts grey market butthurt.