follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 04-17-2014, 01:53 PM   #15
LittleMonster

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fett4Real View Post
Take the black wire that comes from the strip add some wire to it and connect it to the body of the card...A ground. I havent looked but normally there are grounding points all around the engine bay
Awesome thanks. I actually ended up leaving the black wire connected and taking the red wire from both LED strips to that circuit. Worked like a charm. Although the LEDs turn off when the high beam is on, is this normal?
LittleMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 03:40 PM   #16
FRS_Sovereign
Manual Noob

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S MT Asphalt
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevorovert View Post
I don't think that it's the one labeled HAZ for hazard, although I could be wrong. It had an X on it. I remember seeing HAZ and not using it. This slot did not have a fuse in it. I just used a multimeter and checked for live slots

edit

found it.
It's the one circled in red without the red X over it.
Got it thanks can't wait to do this!!
FRS_Sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FRS_Sovereign For This Useful Post:
86-tundra (04-17-2014)
Old 04-17-2014, 04:02 PM   #17
86-tundra
Troll Hunter

Drives: fr-s, tundra
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMonster View Post
Awesome thanks. I actually ended up leaving the black wire connected and taking the red wire from both LED strips to that circuit. Worked like a charm. Although the LEDs turn off when the high beam is on, is this normal?
Actually not sure if mine do this or not. You added that circuit to the same fuse location? Where did you hook up the black wire to?
Old 04-17-2014, 07:13 PM   #18
LittleMonster

Drives: Scion FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevorovert View Post
Actually not sure if mine do this or not. You added that circuit to the same fuse location? Where did you hook up the black wire to?
Yes the same location to the left of the 30 Fuse. I actually left the black wire connected to the factory harness. I am actually running into a separate issue now that I did not notice before. While the lights turn on with ignition, they turn right back off as soon as I release the E-Brake.
LittleMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 07:36 PM   #19
Fett4Real
AKA Mugen Dom

Drives: 2013 FR-S, 2007 FJ Voodoo Blue
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Because there is power flowing through that black wire you left hooked up... you need it to have its own ground. The red wire is hot all the time unless you turn on your lowbeams... theres a few points I looked around while the bumper was off to ground to.. just find a bolt on the metal part of the car....wire brush a little or sand paper to get it to the bare metal...and connect the black wire to that. I FINALLY got the sidemarkers off right before I had to goto work...drove the FJ and will hopefully pull the stock lights off when I get home. Unless the wife says no lol...Im not sure if the sealant I used on the 1 winjet is fully sealed or not though...grabbed windshield sealant but it was a very runny silicone compared to the RTV I normally use...if it fogs up I guess I'll take it apart and reseal it.
Fett4Real is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fett4Real For This Useful Post:
86-tundra (04-18-2014)
Old 04-17-2014, 11:14 PM   #20
Liselotte

Drives: Scion FR-S (2013)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I bought a couple of these fuses and the add-on-circuit. I hope it is right. Question: do i have to do anything to the end part (blue area) of the add-on-circuit? Also, is the bussmann fuses needed or not?

Thanks

Liselotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 12:01 AM   #21
86-tundra
Troll Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liselotte View Post
I bought a couple of these fuses and the add-on-circuit. I hope it is right. Question: do i have to do anything to the end part (blue area) of the add-on-circuit? Also, is the bussmann fuses needed or not?

Thanks

The add a circuit is right. Combine the two red wires coming from the head lights and connect them to that blue butt connector.. Then ground each black wire from the headlights to a bolt on the side of the car
Old 04-18-2014, 12:02 AM   #22
86-tundra
Troll Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fett4Real View Post
Because there is power flowing through that black wire you left hooked up... you need it to have its own ground. The red wire is hot all the time unless you turn on your lowbeams... theres a few points I looked around while the bumper was off to ground to.. just find a bolt on the metal part of the car....wire brush a little or sand paper to get it to the bare metal...and connect the black wire to that. I FINALLY got the sidemarkers off right before I had to goto work...drove the FJ and will hopefully pull the stock lights off when I get home. Unless the wife says no lol...Im not sure if the sealant I used on the 1 winjet is fully sealed or not though...grabbed windshield sealant but it was a very runny silicone compared to the RTV I normally use...if it fogs up I guess I'll take it apart and reseal it.
I read "drove the fj" and for a second thought I was reading my own post.

Fj plus frs is win
Old 04-18-2014, 12:05 AM   #23
Fett4Real
AKA Mugen Dom

Yeh shame theyre stopping production on em
Old 04-18-2014, 12:09 AM   #24
ProjectGT86

Drives: Fire Storm Red Slush box gt86/frs
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
This post has been bookmarked great job man, I wanted to paint the bottoms black too because the OEM ones are half chrom half black, FTEIGHTYSIX has an option to have the Winjet headlights retrofitted with the Ds2 projectors and new ballast + DRL mod, but I'm not sure if they'll do the paint on the bottom
ProjectGT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ProjectGT86 For This Useful Post:
86-tundra (04-19-2014)
Old 04-18-2014, 09:36 AM   #25
ahquit

Drives: Whiteout FR-S
For those who have already painted your winjets, what lines did you use to paint the sides? Did you follow the crease where the "projector bulge" (for lack of a better word) meets the side? I ask because if you follow this crease/line all the way up the side of the headlight, it ends up curving along the top of the headlight... so did you end up with a small black painted part all along the side AND the top of the headlight?

I put together a crude MS paint with a red arrow of the crease/line I'm talking about and how it ends up curving on top of the headlight.

ahquit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 03:32 PM   #26
Fett4Real
AKA Mugen Dom

Exactly. ..same as the OP just no retrofit...5k HID kit.
Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1397849527955.jpg
Views: 2215
Size:  55.1 KBName:  uploadfromtaptalk1397849539130.jpg
Views: 2296
Size:  57.2 KBName:  uploadfromtaptalk1397849550420.jpg
Views: 2189
Size:  58.3 KB

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fett4Real For This Useful Post:
86-tundra (04-19-2014), BlackieChanz (04-17-2018)
Old 04-19-2014, 12:25 AM   #27
86-tundra
Troll Hunter

Nice!! Looks great
Old 04-19-2014, 12:26 AM   #28
86-tundra
Troll Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahquit View Post
For those who have already painted your winjets, what lines did you use to paint the sides? Did you follow the crease where the "projector bulge" (for lack of a better word) meets the side? I ask because if you follow this crease/line all the way up the side of the headlight, it ends up curving along the top of the headlight... so did you end up with a small black painted part all along the side AND the top of the headlight?

I put together a crude MS paint with a red arrow of the crease/line I'm talking about and how it ends up curving on top of the headlight.

I did follow it, basically where the red line is. I followed the crease up to the most logical place at the top. It looks natural that way, you won't ever see it anyways. I stopped where the line stops following the Y plane and moves to the X plane, if you know what I mean.

I am looking at your pic, I stopped right above there the comb lines are. So if you see the lines that look like a comb, go up until you see the next crease coming across, I stopped there. this is hard to describe but I am feeling lazy