follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 07-14-2013, 11:16 AM   #71
regal

Drives: Scion FR-S/Toyota Yaris
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ft_sjo View Post
Sometimes I wonder if you're just plain stupid, or are only interested in listening to yourself and/or whatever on Google matches your delusions? Most modern vehicles have adaptive spark strategies which constantly advance the spark angle until a knock event occurs.. KNOCK HAS TO OCCUR FOR THIS TO WORK.

End of discussion. Stop spreading FUD and paranoia.
Anyone who claims detonation is normal is just plain stupid. Most modern vehicle that operate this way don't have ringland and rod bearing failures like a Subaru boxer, you obviously have little experience with these types of engines.

The knock strategies in newer cars are to allow the cars to run as lean as possible to meet regulations making them less reliable than cars of old, the problem is only magnified with Subaru H4's.

The solution is simple, have the knock tuned out, why does this truth strike such a nerve, why chance it ?

Mods:
Clear fender side lights
Tactrix ZA1JB01C 2014 Calib
regal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 12:27 PM   #72
ft_sjo
Banned

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
OK, @regal, i've struck you off my christmas card list. It's hopeless, you can't be educated, you can't be steered away from your ill-understood pre-conceptions. Good luck with your mission.
ft_sjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 01:28 PM   #73
bestwheelbase

Drives: 1985 P-Type
Thanked 2,058 Times in 1,098 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Okay you gotta admit, the christmas card part was funny.
bestwheelbase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 03:15 PM   #74
vgi

Drives: frs
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quote:
Sometimes I wonder if you're just plain stupid, or are only interested in listening to yourself and/or whatever on Google matches your delusions? Most modern vehicles have adaptive spark strategies which constantly advance the spark angle until a knock event occurs.. KNOCK HAS TO OCCUR FOR THIS TO WORK.

End of discussion. Stop spreading FUD and paranoia.
imo, regardless how much you're full of yourself you have to either respect other members or keep your hands off the keyboard posting here your genius opinions. this way the forum will stay constructive rather than 'you stupid' nonsense you type here.
vgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 03:27 PM   #75
ft_sjo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgi View Post
imo, regardless how much you're full of yourself you have to either respect other members or keep your hands off the keyboard posting here your genius opinions. this way the forum will stay constructive rather than 'you stupid' nonsense you type here.
It was perfectly constructive. If I just said "you're stupid derrrrrr" and left it that, then sure flame away. But if you continue reading you'll notice I posted some facts, not opinion, which are useful if you read and understand them.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:21 AM   #76
Mikem53

Drives: FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
There are different severities of "knock". An engine is running most efficiently just before some ping/knock. Why do you think the OEM would allow destructive knock to occur in an engine they fully warrant? Seriously.. Don't you think they would be concerned about all this ? You focus on a few isolated extreme cases with only partial facts and determine the car is not safe to drive and will self destruct in xxx amount of miles. All based on paranoia and a few track failures which you read about.
A knock sensor detects knock and pulls timing to prevent severe detonation..
As @ft_sjo mentioned, some knock has to occur and be detected by the sensors before timing is pulled back and sampled again. That's how it works and how they keep the engines most optimized aggressive timing. It's not a flaw in the system. Somehow I think they might have one or two capable engineers that know a thing or two about these engines.. Maybe even more than you think you know.
I think you hear the word "knock" and immediately think engine death.. When in fact these piezo knock sensors are tuned to hear lead-in knock frequencies that are not destructive but on the threshold of "knock".
Oh hell.. Like talking to a brick.. Enjoy your paranoid knock delemia.. You seem to get off on it..

Quote:
Originally Posted by regal View Post
Anyone who claims detonation is normal is just plain stupid. Most modern vehicle that operate this way don't have ringland and rod bearing failures like a Subaru boxer, you obviously have little experience with these types of engines.

The knock strategies in newer cars are to allow the cars to run as lean as possible to meet regulations making them less reliable than cars of old, the problem is only magnified with Subaru H4's.

The solution is simple, have the knock tuned out, why does this truth strike such a nerve, why chance it ?
Mikem53 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mikem53 For This Useful Post:
ft_sjo (07-15-2013)
Old 07-15-2013, 11:21 AM   #77
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by robispec View Post
and my response

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...34#post1068034

again Mike drove a car on the track KNOWING that the seal had already failed. They had taken the car to the dealer and they said bring it back when it has a code... It was popping going out on the track....and once you have heard this sound you KNOW that the seal is bad. Mike knew this and drove it anyway...
I was referring to a different day (when the problem originally appeared); we were running roughly a 1:1 100/91 mix the day the problem manifested itself again.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
FRSBRZGT86FAN (07-15-2013)
Old 07-15-2013, 03:56 PM   #78
l0aded
Addicted

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
All of the above is perfectly normal and not a problem.
Thank you. Can you confirm something though. After looking at it more carefully my AFR goes to 20+ whenever I am in free rev (in gear moving but 0 foot on the throttle).

FWIW the car feels fine though and I haven't heard knocking after I switched my tune.

And to add to the discussion my AFR during WOT is around 12.
Phantom Supercharger | Tsudo Cat-Back Exhaust | K&N Drop-in Filter | Winjet Headlights | Opti-coated | 35/20 Tint | Radar/Dashcam Hardwired | OFT tuned | OEM Audio+ Reference 400CF | Uber Sound Deadened | LED DRL strips | JPM Coachworks Kneepads
l0aded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 04:14 PM   #79
ft_sjo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by l0aded View Post
Thank you. Can you confirm something though. After looking at it more carefully my AFR goes to 20+ whenever I am in free rev (in gear moving but 0 foot on the throttle).

FWIW the car feels fine though and I haven't heard knocking after I switched my tune.

And to add to the discussion my AFR during WOT is around 12.
Most fuel injection cars have 'fuel cut on over-run', to save fuel. It shows as 20:1 as that's the highest the oxygen sensor is calibrated for. In actual fact it's just mainly air passing through the engine, a wheel-driven air pump, to be exact!
The Following User Says Thank You to ft_sjo For This Useful Post:
l0aded (07-15-2013)
Old 07-15-2013, 04:18 PM   #80
Dezoris

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,997 Times in 1,095 Posts
Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Do you guys have a link for the DI seal tool?
All my seals came in and associated parts. I need to get this crap checked ASAP.
Old 07-15-2013, 04:22 PM   #81
l0aded
Addicted

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Most fuel injection cars have 'fuel cut on over-run', to save fuel. It shows as 20:1 as that's the highest the oxygen sensor is calibrated for. In actual fact it's just mainly air passing through the engine, a wheel-driven air pump, to be exact!
Phew that's a relief.
Phantom Supercharger | Tsudo Cat-Back Exhaust | K&N Drop-in Filter | Winjet Headlights | Opti-coated | 35/20 Tint | Radar/Dashcam Hardwired | OFT tuned | OEM Audio+ Reference 400CF | Uber Sound Deadened | LED DRL strips | JPM Coachworks Kneepads
l0aded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:58 PM   #82
vgi

Drives: frs
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezoris View Post
Do you guys have a link for the DI seal tool?
All my seals came in and associated parts. I need to get this crap checked ASAP.
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...&postcount=103

PS see you found it already in another thread

Last edited by vgi; 07-15-2013 at 09:38 PM.
vgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:24 AM   #83
Synack
Boosted

Drives: Sideways
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
I don't how to put this anymore plainly. My car was having idle issues and the popping. All of the tell tale signs of the DI issue. We yanked the injectors and replaced the seals. The problem was then solved. Just replace the seals and update your ECU and call it a day guys.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:10 AM   #84
wootwoot

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synack View Post
I don't how to put this anymore plainly. My car was having idle issues and the popping. All of the tell tale signs of the DI issue. We yanked the injectors and replaced the seals. The problem was then solved. Just replace the seals and update your ECU and call it a day guys.
This is a car forum.... Informed and reasonable responses are not welcome
wootwoot is offline   Reply With Quote