follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 08-11-2023, 11:28 AM   #1
Bergycheese348

Drives: TRD Supercharged 2016 FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Slippery TRD Wheel and Shift Knob

I had purchased a brand new TRD shift knob two years ago and have felt it become more slippery compared to the grippier feel when new, and I just received a used TRD MOMO steering wheel the other day and the same has happened, but it feels a bit more slippery. Has anyone found a way to make them feel a bit more like they were new? Using these on track and, while I doubt my hands will slip, I would love to have them feeling like they used to. Thanks

T RD, Verus, Ace
Bergycheese348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2023, 12:22 PM   #2
RToyo86

Drives: 17 Asphalt 86
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,132 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Obvious question but have you cleaned it?

Slippery feel is dirt/grime/oils caked onto it.
RToyo86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2023, 01:41 PM   #3
Bergycheese348

Quote:
Originally Posted by RToyo86 View Post
Obvious question but have you cleaned it?

Slippery feel is dirt/grime/oils caked onto it.
Yes, cleaned with soapy water. I have done this numerous times with the shift knob, but did it once with the wheel since I just got it and have been extremely busy since

T RD, Verus, Ace
Old 09-11-2023, 10:35 AM   #4
RickyBobby

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S AT
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I use a damp, not soaking wet, melamine foam sponge, aka Mr.Clean Magic Eraser, gently on my steering wheel. It's equivalent to 3000-5000 grit sandpaper. You can pick up a generic 2 pack at Dollar General. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melamine_foam
RickyBobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 09:59 AM   #5
Desertnate
Spelling Impaired

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited WR Blue
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I've found a good maintenance routine keeps from having to go as aggressive as something like a Magic Eraser. The soapy water may not be enough to remove all the oils, dead skin, and other grime that accumulates on a steering wheel and shifter over time.

I try to wipe down mine every couple weeks with a good interior detailer. Look for the good ones that mention both protection AND cleaning abilities. There are many that will do one or the other, but not both. I makes light cleaning fast and easy.

Every 4~6 months I'll use a leather cleaner on those surfaces. They tend to be gentle enough to not damage the leather and it's protective coating, but will get through the grime to clean up the leather pretty well.

If the wheel is REALLY grimy, I'll wipe down the wheel with an automotive interior cleaner or a diluted automotive specific all purpose cleaner. I'll use that until all the black gunk stops coming up and will then shift to the leather cleaner. This gets the leather back to a nice satin/matte finish and a grippy feel.

There have been a couple wheels I've cleaned where it looked like the protective layer on the leather was pealing off, but it was actually just nastiness on the wheel. After a good deep cleaning it looked totally different.
Desertnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 11:10 AM   #6
Bergycheese348

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
I've found a good maintenance routine keeps from having to go as aggressive as something like a Magic Eraser. The soapy water may not be enough to remove all the oils, dead skin, and other grime that accumulates on a steering wheel and shifter over time.

I try to wipe down mine every couple weeks with a good interior detailer. Look for the good ones that mention both protection AND cleaning abilities. There are many that will do one or the other, but not both. I makes light cleaning fast and easy.

Every 4~6 months I'll use a leather cleaner on those surfaces. They tend to be gentle enough to not damage the leather and it's protective coating, but will get through the grime to clean up the leather pretty well.

If the wheel is REALLY grimy, I'll wipe down the wheel with an automotive interior cleaner or a diluted automotive specific all purpose cleaner. I'll use that until all the black gunk stops coming up and will then shift to the leather cleaner. This gets the leather back to a nice satin/matte finish and a grippy feel.

There have been a couple wheels I've cleaned where it looked like the protective layer on the leather was pealing off, but it was actually just nastiness on the wheel. After a good deep cleaning it looked totally different.
The issue I have is that the steering wheel is not normal fake leather or leather like on an Audi or something similar. On top of that it is a discontinued and generally rare wheel that I do not want to mess up, hence why magic eraser is out of the question. I guess I forgot to mention in the original post, but between the wheel and shift knob they both have a unique texture, and part of that texture is what made them more grippy, and it seems the texture is fading away hence why I was hoping someone with the same wheel had a maintenance routine lol. Will try what you suggest and see what happens.

T RD, Verus, Ace
Old 09-13-2023, 11:12 AM   #7
Bergycheese348

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyBobby View Post
I use a damp, not soaking wet, melamine foam sponge, aka Mr.Clean Magic Eraser, gently on my steering wheel. It's equivalent to 3000-5000 grit sandpaper. You can pick up a generic 2 pack at Dollar General. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melamine_foam
Do you use this specifically on the wheel and shift knob mentioned? On the OEM wheel that would seem fine but not sure about these. May sound like I am being precise and picky but I do not want to ruin these...as getting a brand new shift knob will cost me around $250, and new steering wheels are virtually non-existent

T RD, Verus, Ace
Old 09-15-2023, 04:45 PM   #8
RickyBobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergycheese348 View Post
Do you use this specifically on the wheel and shift knob mentioned? On the OEM wheel that would seem fine but not sure about these. May sound like I am being precise and picky but I do not want to ruin these...as getting a brand new shift knob will cost me around $250, and new steering wheels are virtually non-existent
Yes, I use them on my OEM steering wheel about every 3-4 months. Oil from my hands builds up on the steering wheel and makes it shiny and slippery. I have an AT so I don't use them on the shift knob that much. I saturate one of the erasers in water, then thoroughly ringe it out by hand before I use it. Any water left on the wheel after I use it I dry off with a paper towel. I have never used any soap or chemicals on the wheel. It's still it great shape after 10+ years.

I used one of the, still $1., Dollar Tree generic erasers on the wheel today. Here's before and after pics.
Before
Name:  P1013558.JPG
Views: 352
Size:  317.0 KB
After
Name:  P1013567.JPG
Views: 345
Size:  305.9 KB
Dollar Tree's generic eraser
Name:  P1013555.jpg
Views: 347
Size:  270.2 KB
After using on wheel
Name:  P1013573.JPG
Views: 342
Size:  261.8 KB

Take a pic of your steering wheel and post it so we can see what shape it's in and if possibly one of these erasers will work.
The Following User Says Thank You to RickyBobby For This Useful Post:
MrSkubi (09-19-2023)
Old 09-18-2023, 02:29 PM   #9
Bergycheese348

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyBobby View Post
Yes, I use them on my OEM steering wheel about every 3-4 months. Oil from my hands builds up on the steering wheel and makes it shiny and slippery. I have an AT so I don't use them on the shift knob that much. I saturate one of the erasers in water, then thoroughly ringe it out by hand before I use it. Any water left on the wheel after I use it I dry off with a paper towel. I have never used any soap or chemicals on the wheel. It's still it great shape after 10+ years.
I still do not think you realize I am talking about a different steering wheel than the OEM one. This is not my exact same wheel because I am at work and I am unable to go take a photo of it, but it is very similar (from the photos I see).

T RD, Verus, Ace
Old 09-21-2023, 12:44 PM   #10
RickyBobby

Yes, I know the TRD wheel is beefier and does not have the perforations like the OEM. If the eraser is out then try a leather cleaner and conditioner, i.e., https://www.amazon.com/Weiman-Condit...86&sr=1-2&th=1
Pics from an old for sale post:
Name:  IMG_5106.JPG
Views: 270
Size:  551.4 KB

Name:  IMG_5107.JPG
Views: 267
Size:  519.9 KB
Old 01-16-2024, 10:42 PM   #11
BigHugeFatGuy

Drives: 2016 FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Super dated, but it does sound like it needs a cleaning. Use a "safe" interior detail spray such as from Sonax or AmmoNYC. Both are effective cleaners, but guaranteed not to harm exotics or even people.
Spray on the wheel, or on a Scrub Ninja (on Amazon). Unlike a Magic Eraser, these are designed for car interiors and will change your life if you've never used one before. If not a Scrub Ninja, use a microfiber towel to work the spray in. Wipe off, and repeat if needed. I've never had to do it twice tho.
Also, sell me that wheel if you don't get it resolved.
BigHugeFatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote