follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 07-02-2016, 09:21 AM   #29
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,844 Times in 1,635 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Cervy View Post
I like how you started off on-topic, but ended up going on a tangent about your furniture plans.
Yeah it was late and I was in 420 mode. The point is there are cheap replacement seats out there if there if no resolution with is possible with Toyota. And most likely they will call it normal wear but if it isnt really normal they should aknowledge and remedy.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
wbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 09:22 AM   #30
justatroll

Drives: Full race 4cyl boxer
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Both of my Supras had the same 'problem' in that the driver's side seat bolsters wore out before anything else on the car and they were both leather.

My BRZ shows zero abnormal wear on the seat and I am over 40k miles.

And to even think that the dealer would hear of such a thing as addressing seat wear under warranty is a bit foolish.
Let me guess it is only the OUTER bolster that is worn?
So maybe the OP should stop sliding into the seat.
Whats next: "my floor mats are too dirty"?
justatroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 09:33 AM   #31
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by justatroll View Post
Both of my Supras had the same 'problem' in that the driver's side seat bolsters wore out before anything else on the car and they were both leather.

My BRZ shows zero abnormal wear on the seat and I am over 40k miles.

And to even think that the dealer would hear of such a thing as addressing seat wear under warranty is a bit foolish.
Let me guess it is only the OUTER bolster that is worn?
So maybe the OP should stop sliding into the seat.
Whats next: "my floor mats are too dirty"?
I have had several new Acuras and a new Honda where the outer bolster wore excessively. Some companies use stronger leather than others like Porsche. Also, its worth trying to be slightly carefull with ingress and egress to avoid this. Never had cloth seats wear thru though.
Toyota vinyl, like in my wife's RAV4, that stuff never wears out.

Leather isnt the answer unless maybe only with certain brands. Also, I am same height and also not mh ideal weight presently, so OP and I might be similar.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
The Following User Says Thank You to wbradley For This Useful Post:
justatroll (07-02-2016)
Old 07-02-2016, 10:51 AM   #32
ZionsWrath
Thanks

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 3,100 Times in 1,498 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Weird. Pics would be nice OP.

I'm 5'10 220 or 230 with a substantial beer gut. Track my car hard enough to make my buttocks sore holding myself in the seat. I do feel the cushioning is very thin for my fat as I feel the metal frame of the seat. But I don't feel the seat is suffering any abnormal wear. I have about 42,000 miles and a couple dozen track days I lost count.

But yea without visual hard to say about yours OP
Old 07-02-2016, 11:01 AM   #33
billwot

Drives: '11 Cayman , '14 Camry, '11 Tacoma
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
this
Attached Images

billwot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 11:31 AM   #34
Toyarzee
Shibby!

Drives: '14 White FR-S, '01 turbo mini taco
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rastapete View Post
The first two replies to OP are like a poster for douchey vs helpful responses

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Is your only job on this forum to be a Deuch by attempting to point out who else may be? 3 pages of posts support my initial thoughts and opinions, but they are just that and nothing more. I didn't accuse the OP of anything, and I didn't call him out on BS, although unfortunately I did miss that he attempted to work with Toyota corporate... but he clarified through a subsequent rant.

If he put up pictures instead of 100000 word posts maybe we could be a bit more help. However, there are people with blown ecu's and axles that aren't getting help from warranty by subaru OR toyota.

On one side, I feel for a guy who's not getting respect he deserves regardless of the issue. On the other side... It's a fucking 3 year old seat with some evidence it's been sat on. Gtfo
Toyarzee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Toyarzee For This Useful Post:
justatroll (07-02-2016)
Old 07-02-2016, 11:50 AM   #35
Who8myrice

Drives: Ap2
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
My Frs got paint chips from hitting rocks on freeway.
I am going to buy Porsche or bmw next car, I am done with toyotas.
Who8myrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 01:36 PM   #36
joe strummer

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by twag4 View Post
Yes I am disappointed in Toyota! They actually told me to have the useless service manager, who I had just explained wouldn't even come see for herself. I literally wasted a half hour to be told no by someone who did not even look at the seat. The dealer is just a reflection of corporate policy in this case. They got burned once before, and now she cannot be bothered to even come take a look. And then Toyota's customer service wants me to go back to her to have her make a determination? Are you for real considering that a dealer problem? Even if I drug my ass in and out covered in sweat, that would be dirty, not worn the eff out. Even the service writer said it was unusual wear. And 2years and 11 months with 31000 miles is hardly old. I drive 20 miles round trip per day to work. I haven't gotten in and out enough times for this kind of wear. I had a 1996 Nissan pickup that I drove for 17 years straight, that had cloth seats that looks brand new the day I sold it. You have exceptionally low expectations for your money, huh? And also, I remember a Toyota in the 80s and 90s who backed their products unquestionably. They are suffering from General Motors disease. They believe they are too big to fail. They have a humongous facility they built in Mississippi that sits useless because of that attitude. Even General Motors will replace carpet and upholstery if it wears too quickly. Yes, to be clear, Toyota is disappointing. I will not be considering a Toyota product for my wife's new vehicle. She by the way drives a 2005 Nissan Pathfinder that has 195500 miles and the seats look really good. My less than 12000 miles a year little car has an ugly drivers seat due to wear (and stupid red wings). They covered it with a black t shirt. Yup, Toyota is disappointing. I will upgrade to leather in my future, but sooner rather than later. Wasn't planning on having to do it before the worthless warranty ran out though. If it wasn't this car (rear wheel drive lightweight fun mobile), I wouldn't even have considered the thing in the first place. Stupid scion didn't even offer us a better upholstery option. Now they are dead. Toyota really did their homework on that great idea huh? Toyota is disappointing!!!
tl;dr Crappy fabrics killed Scion.
Old 07-02-2016, 02:14 PM   #37
jeffchap

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Raven 6MT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by billwot View Post
this
32K and my seats still look like new. But I plan to do this anyway.
twag4 (07-02-2016)
Old 07-02-2016, 03:41 PM   #38
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,093 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Here's what my BRZ driver's side bolster looks like at almost 45k miles, with lots of track use and otherwise general neglect.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/142936...7668615058581/
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mav1178 For This Useful Post:
twag4 (07-02-2016)
Old 07-02-2016, 06:16 PM   #39
twag4

Drives: frs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Cervy View Post
I don't really know how to approach this. You mentioned your weight like it was the reason why your seats are wearing, and it seems like you're trying to get them to cover it under warranty. Is Toyota's warranty different than Subaru's? Because as far as I know, seats aren't including in the wear warranty, and it also doesn't qualify as a defective part. If the seats were like that when you got the car, then they probably would've covered the upholstery job. I don't want to doubt you, but you're making it seem like the seats were fine before, and something you did made them start to wear and fade.

Try what @humfrz suggested but you'll most likely have to spend money either repairing it or swapping the seats altogether.
I mentioned my weight so you guys didn't come after me for being 7' tall and 350 lbs. I'm not a huge guy, and I don't over stress the seats. That is all
Old 07-02-2016, 06:29 PM   #40
twag4

Drives: frs
Wow! I am foolish I guess for expecting a car company to provide a little durability in their installed equipment. Thanks to those of you with legitimate replies. If they won't cover the wear then fine. But, to not even look at it before they say no? This is ok with all you nay Sayers? I've been around a little while, and have owned multiple new cars with no such wear. You nay Sayers sure don't expect much for your money. I guess consumer low expectations are why the car makers don't stand behind their workmanship any more. I will, unlike those of you who find me foolish for having somewhat high expectations, vote with my wallet in the future. That is all I am trying to say. If this wouldn't bother you, it doesn't make me wrong for it bothering me. You young guys have just never experienced true customer service I guess. Thanks to widespread attitudes like this, the manufacturers don't have to provide higher quality and standards. You are the foolish and wrong ones in my opinion. It can be better than this. I have experienced better than this. Once again I find myself sorry for posting on this forum
Old 07-02-2016, 06:37 PM   #41
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Garage
Quote:
Wow! I am foolish I guess for expecting a car company to provide a little durability in their installed equipment. Thanks to those of you with legitimate replies. If they won't cover the wear then fine. But, to not even look at it before they say no? This is ok with all you nay Sayers? I've been around a little while, and have owned multiple new cars with no such wear. You nay Sayers sure don't expect much for your money. I guess consumer low expectations are why the car makers don't stand behind their workmanship any more. I will, unlike those of you who find me foolish for having somewhat high expectations, vote with my wallet in the future. That is all I am trying to say. If this wouldn't bother you, it doesn't make me wrong for it bothering me. You young guys have just never experienced true customer service I guess. Thanks to widespread attitudes like this, the manufacturers don't have to provide higher quality and standards. You are the foolish and wrong ones in my opinion. It can be better than this. I have experienced better than this. Once again I find myself sorry for posting on this forum
When the service manager brushed you off you should have decided to go to another dealer service then and there.
Old 07-02-2016, 06:44 PM   #42
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,521 Times in 18,922 Posts
Mentioned: 1107 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Once again I find myself sorry for posting on this forum
Oh, come on now. Gonna need to grow some thicker interweb skin if you're really feeling butthurt over these responses. Especially given the subject matter.

I can understand being upset over the lack of respect from the dealership but you're going to have to have a much, much thicker wallet before it gets loud enough to be heard. That's just the hard fact. This ain't no Benzo.

edit: and I totally get being bothered by it. I've learned to lower my expectations for the sake of my own emotional well-being.
If you get good results maybe that's a lesson for me.