follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 02-19-2010, 10:48 AM   #1
BlackArtsViper

Drives: 1986 Toyota Corolla GTS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Exclamation Toyota FT-86 redesign rumors UNTRUE! Production version rumored to be shown at Geneva

Also as reported on FT86club Homepage.
__________________________________________________ ____
Fri Feb 19 2010

Toyota FT-86 - what you see is what you'll get

Steve Sutcliffe / Autocar

On the site today you'll notice a story on the Toyota FT-86 Concept. Since I wrote it various rumours have been doing the rounds on the internet about the validity of the car’s design. According to these rumours “an unofficial source in Japan” has claimed that the final design hasn’t been signed off yet, the insinuation being that the car we photographed bears little true resemblance to the one that will go on sale in 2012.

I was, I admit, a bit shocked by these rumours, having recently spent a day with the car and some of the people responsible for its design. So I started to do some digging, and it now seems that the situation is a wee bit more complicated than it first appeared.

What I can gather, having communicated with numerous official, unofficial sources within and outside Toyota, is this. In 2012 Toyota will definitely launch a rear-wheel-drive coupe that will have an unusually low centre of gravity, and for a target price of less than £20k equivalent to today’s money. But its final production design has indeed not yet been finalised.

However, what I can also tell you is that, unofficially and very much on the QT, Akio Toyoda himself loves the current design just as it is, especially the rear end. He’s also taken particularly keen note of the enthusiastic way in which the FT-86 concept has been received by its critics. And so, basically, it would seem he wants to keep the production car’s design as close as possible to that of the concept, once various aspects have been integrated to make it production friendly; such as pedestrian crash protection etc.

In other words, and despite nothing yet being officially official or otherwise, what you see is what we’ll get.

Which is very good news if you ask me.

---------------------------

In the metal, says Sutcliffe, the charm of the FT-86 is achingly apparent. For starters, it's no more than two-thirds of the size you'd expect it to be. The Audi TT - not a big car - dwarfs it.

Beyond that, the most striking aspect of the car is how low the bonnet line is and how snugly the whole car seems to hug the ground as a result. This is because the engine is derived from Subaru's famous flat-four 2.0-litre 'boxer' unit.

Senior Toyota designer Cech estimates than the bonnet is around 100mm lower than it would be with a conventional four-cylinder engine in place, but cautions: "It won't be quite as low for the production car. Unfortunately, we have to raise it maybe 50mm to meet pedestrian crash protection legislation."

Mechanically, the car is fairly conventional. Suspension is probably wishbones at the front and almost certainly multi-link at the rear, transmission a six-speed manual and the chassis conventional rear-wheel drive.

What will make it special, claims Toyota, is the ultra-light kerb weight, which may be as low as 1250kg in production trim, its purity of response, its handling agility and the fact it will have a proper limited slip differential.

Another distinguishing feature will be its interior, and in particular its dashboard, which may even include software that provides data acquisition for a host of circuits.

Sutcliffe concludes that the FT-86 is a deadly serious attempt to take a slice of the lucrative affordable coupe market , as well as recapture and repackage the DNA that made Toyota's cars so popular in the past. "The sooner it goes into production, the better," he says.

For the full Toyota FT-86 story, buy this week's Autocar magazine, on sale now.

--------------------------

Q&A Jaromir Cech, Toyota FT-86 designer

19 February 2010

The Toyota FT-86 concept will be a production reality by 2012, arriving in the UK with a target price of less than £20,000 for the entry level model.

To find out more about the car, which rumours suggest will be formally confirmed for production at the upcoming Geneva motor show, Autocar sent Steve Sutcliffe to meet its designer, Jaromir Cech.

What was the design brief for the car?

The first ideas we had came after some feedback we got from the engineering people. They told us they’d been testing this car, and that it drove just like a go-kart on the track. And so we thought, ‘Well, we need to make a car that looks like it drives like a go-kart.’

So when did you first start designing it?

A little over two years ago, since when the idea has been refined, obviously, but still with those same themes at the centre: driver focus, purity of form and functional beauty.

Were there any influences apart from the original rear-drive Corolla?

The Corolla represents a lot of the FT’s basic design influence, but really there are a number of cars that we looked at, from the Supra to the original MR2.

You were primarily responsible for the interior; which bits are you most proud of, and which aspect do you think will make it into production?

I’m proud of the interior. It’s deliberately extremely driver-orientated and contains quite a few fresh ideas, especially within the modular dash design.

I’m not sure whether the zips idea for the doorbins will make it into production — it may prove too difficult to mass-produce — but I hope one day we’ll see something like it in a production Toyota because it’s a simple but also functional solution.

And like I say, that’s the key design theme for the whole car: functional beauty. That came right from the very top.

Also some new pics from the interview:

Name:  ft86.jpg
Views: 5529
Size:  45.5 KB

Name:  ft86-1.jpg
Views: 26290
Size:  40.3 KB

Name:  ft86-2.jpg
Views: 13041
Size:  39.7 KB

Name:  ft86-3.jpg
Views: 11794
Size:  37.8 KB

Name:  ft86-8.jpg
Views: 6679
Size:  34.1 KB

Name:  ft86-5.jpg
Views: 5860
Size:  55.9 KB

Name:  ft86-6.jpg
Views: 5894
Size:  41.6 KB

Name:  ft86-4.jpg
Views: 5845
Size:  40.5 KB

Anyone see this yet? Sigh of relief maybe? I think so.
http://jalopnik.com/5475549/toyota-f...ly-exaggerated

Also links to original Q&A with the FT-86 designer:
http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsAr...llCars/247568/
Attached Images

BlackArtsViper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 11:12 AM   #2
vh_supra26
Site Moderator

Drives: Supra
Thanked 2,181 Times in 964 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
^
Thanks for update
vh_supra26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 11:53 AM   #3
TheRoadWarrior
Much damage?

Drives: Renaultsport Clio200
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Thank ***k for that!
TheRoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 11:54 AM   #4
YourFearlessLeader
Team ScioNRG President

Drives: 2017 WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
hmmm im trying to find where he said the redesign rumors were untrue....
Old 02-19-2010, 11:56 AM   #5
Axel

Drives: '13 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Here's the Jalopnik article...

Toyota FT-86: Rumors Of My Redesign Have Been Greatly Exaggerated

There have been some filthy rumors floating 'round the internet about a possible redesign of the almost-too-good-to-be-true Toyota FT-86. Turns out, they're completely untrue.

A two-door Toyota that's rear wheel drive, Subaru boxer-powered and actually pretty cool looking?! Unpossible! No, it's true, but the pessimists at Japanese buff book Holiday Auto ran a salacious tale of redesign claiming infighting between Toyota Europe Design Development and Toyota Technical Center's design groups and a pending redesign as a result.

Well, Jaromir Cech, senior designer at Toyota Europe Design Development, has come out and quashed those rumors. The FT-86 we know and can't wait for is in no danger of a major redesign. The only thing the car's in for is dimension-stretching to meet crash and pedestrian impact requirements. Also, a realistic interior treatment.
We're told to expect the production version of the FT-86 at Geneva. We hope so — it's a Toyota that's actually got us giddy with excitement.

Axel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 11:57 AM   #6
YourFearlessLeader
Team ScioNRG President

Drives: 2017 WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
oh thank god!
Old 02-19-2010, 11:59 AM   #7
Hachiroku
Administrator

Drives: Boxster 986
Thanked 1,977 Times in 344 Posts
Mentioned: 171 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourFearlessLeader View Post
hmmm im trying to find where he said the redesign rumors were untrue....
I think it's implied in that the senior designer at ED2 is talking about his design (in a very recent interview no less) of the original FT-86 as the one and only current design of the car, as well as the one that will be tweaked for production.
Hachiroku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 12:00 PM   #8
vh_supra26
Site Moderator

I can't wait
Old 02-19-2010, 12:04 PM   #9
AlxSTi
alexsoldit.com

Drives: 2006 Subaru STi
Hm.. whats up with the zippers on the dash? Not really feeling the interior..
AlxSTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 12:08 PM   #10
BlackArtsViper

Looks like I've been moved. :P
It looks way better now anyways. Thanks(Hachiroku?)

My favourite part, comparing the FT with to gokart. I've always compared my 86 to a gokart. Not in performance obviously, but in fun. It always does exactly what I tell it to and never complains. Well, except when you ask it for some heat... it's so cold right now...

And I like the zippers. Hopefully you can get replacement dash skins. Cracked dashs are no fun!
Old 02-19-2010, 12:08 PM   #11
vh_supra26
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlxSTi View Post
Hm.. whats up with the zippers on the dash? Not really feeling the interior..
Articel said it probably won't make it into production.
Old 02-19-2010, 12:20 PM   #12
no_name

Drives: 2005 Hyundai Accent
Quote:
They told us they’d been testing this car, and that it drove just like a go-kart on the track.
I think that's the only actual comment on it's driving characteristics so far. I LIKE IT.
no_name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 12:23 PM   #13
Midship Runabout
formerly Dixie Normous

Drives: The ladies wild!
no way in hell the interior will look like that for production. and yes the zippers are kind of dumb
Midship Runabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 12:30 PM   #14
BlackArtsViper

lol.
Zippers are awesome!