follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 06-18-2012, 08:12 PM   #1
FR-SWhitout813

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S (Whiteout)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Extended warranties, added fees and GAP insurance on thr FR-S?

I got GAP and the extended warranties from the dealer and plan on canceling all of them to take 4000.00+ off of my loan. Not sure about the GAP though I paid 799.00 in the loan can I find it cheaper elsewhere?

Last edited by FR-SWhitout813; 06-18-2012 at 09:16 PM. Reason: Title change
FR-SWhitout813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 08:18 PM   #2
Celicadude

Drives: Celica gts
Dude definitely get all that crap off of there. See if your insurance company can give you gap insurance if you absolutely must have it. Dealers sell this, extended warranties, paint protection etc etc, for huge markups. Its not worth buying any of it from the dealer. I know this because I use to work for a stealership.
Celicadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 08:22 PM   #3
sirhc

Drives: fr-s
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
yeah you need gap if your paying for all that extra crap. if your under value there is no need for gap , it only pays for what what your insurance doesnt if your upside down. however i dont know if you will be able to get all of your money back once you cancel. they will pro-rate you.

if you absolutly need your gap then yes generally the bank will sell you gap but only when you finance with them and it has to be done at signing you cant add it later. generally its between 199-350 from a bank
sirhc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 08:38 PM   #4
FR-SWhitout813

Garage
Why can't I quote or click reply! CelicaDude... we definitely didn't get the best deal. Was a spur of the moment thing that lasted all day and just wanted to leave asap. I wish I found this forum first. I definitely plan on making up for it a little by canceling this crap. I think I should be able to get it 100% refunded. Paint protection was already on the sticker. Geico doesn't offer GAP. ANything else I can get refunded?
Old 06-18-2012, 08:47 PM   #5
fistpoint

Drives: Supercharged Golf Cart
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
My opinion is simple, put more down and you won't need GAP insurance. If you can't put more down, perhaps you shouldn't be buying?

This is the way home buying used to be decades ago(large down payment). While it prevented many from owning sooner than they could have, it certainly prevented the mess that we saw a few years ago.
fistpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:00 PM   #6
FR-SWhitout813

Garage
Yeah unfortunetly we paid over sticker because of course there was no sticker. Very unprepaired and didn't even negotiate...never thought I would be that guy. Luckily they didn't rip me too bad! It was all about getting approved and seeing what we could get in a trade. That's all in the past anyway and I plan on making it better by dropping this stuff.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:01 PM   #7
FR-SWhitout813

Garage
ToyoGaurd another add on to the sticker that we didn't need 699.00 as well as 399.00 tint! lol
Old 06-18-2012, 09:02 PM   #8
FR-SWhitout813

Garage
BUT we LOVE our FR-S!
Old 06-18-2012, 09:27 PM   #9
civicdrivr

Drives: 2018 Golf R
Thanked 1,095 Times in 647 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
Wow, I secured financing through my credit union and got gap insurance for just over $200. Still debating if I should cancel it though since the loan amount was less then the value of the car by a few thousand.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:45 PM   #10
Celicadude

Drives: Celica gts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-SWhitout813 View Post
Why can't I quote or click reply! CelicaDude... we definitely didn't get the best deal. Was a spur of the moment thing that lasted all day and just wanted to leave asap. I wish I found this forum first. I definitely plan on making up for it a little by canceling this crap. I think I should be able to get it 100% refunded. Paint protection was already on the sticker. Geico doesn't offer GAP. ANything else I can get refunded?

It's cool they got me too when I bought my car. I had them take off the GAP when i went in to finalize the paperwork, told them my car insurance covers me. They don't have to know if you have it or not. But I'd definitely push for it. The extended warranty I'm not sure about but it doesn't hurt to bug the hell out of them to remove it. Always remember, the squeaky wheel gets the oil.

I hate how they try to wear you down by keeping you there the whole day to the point where you give up and buy all the crap. Trick is to get to the dealership late, sales and finance will want to go home so bad they'll give you whatever you want.

The paint protection is bullshit, just a wax job and not even a good one. I'm afraid to ask how much they charged for it. But hey at least you got the car, which is totally awesome, so its not all bad.

Oh and to reply just hit the quote button in the lower left of the box.
Celicadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:59 PM   #11
Alias
Resident Genius

Drives: Subaru Legacy GT, 1990 Geo Prizm
Just out of curiosity, after they added all those charges on, what was your out the door price?
Alias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 10:13 PM   #12
Memphis

Drives: Scion FantasticRoad-Sex
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
My GAP insurance is only $68 a year :p Its great to have. If anything happens to my car I dont have to worry about it going to a repair shop. Im to anal to drive a previously wrecked car. :p
Memphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 10:29 PM   #13
sirhc

Drives: fr-s
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis View Post
My GAP insurance is only $68 a year :p Its great to have. If anything happens to my car I dont have to worry about it going to a repair shop. Im to anal to drive a previously wrecked car. :p

it is great to have if you over pay for your car like when carrying over negative equity. but as an fyi the prices in finance are also negotiable.
also I dont see any reason in putting an extended warranty on a new car. you do know that you can add those down the line if you decide to keep the car once your 3/36 is over and if you sell your car before that then you will loose thousands on those extended warranty.

and not to bash anyone that did but why would you pay over msrp. and then again I think its messed up that dealers overcharge on the msrp. I got 24958 or what ever msrp is out the door.
sirhc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 10:33 PM   #14
Memphis

Drives: Scion FantasticRoad-Sex
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhc View Post
it is great to have if you over pay for your car like when carrying over negative equity. but as an fyi the prices in finance are also negotiable.
also I dont see any reason in putting an extended warranty on a new car. you do know that you can add those down the line if you decide to keep the car once your 3/36 is over and if you sell your car before that then you will loose thousands on those extended warranty.

and not to bash anyone that did but why would you pay over msrp. and then again I think its messed up that dealers overcharge on the msrp. I got 24958 or what ever msrp is out the door.
I got mine at msrp..... and I didnt get an extended warranty.
Memphis is offline   Reply With Quote