follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > ASIA

User Tag List

Old 04-03-2013, 01:23 AM   #29
Acid18

Drives: 2013 GT86 Lightning Red
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Better double check it with them as i have not heard of a 12k service.. You should be going back on a 15k service instead..
Mods: VDS Headers, Milltek Header Back System Resonated, H&R Sport Springs, AFE Magnum Flow Drop In filter, Stock Flat Black Dipped Rims, Black Dipped bumper tongue, Blacked out LED Headlights, Blacked out Tail lights
Acid18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:13 AM   #30
FT86Dubai

Drives: 2013 Toyota 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid18 View Post
Better double check it with them as i have not heard of a 12k service.. You should be going back on a 15k service instead..
Thats what the sticker they put says

Old 04-03-2013, 11:39 AM   #31
RevoG

Drives: Hot Lava 86 MT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Sticker is wrong. They put a stickeron mine that said 5k. When I queried it the service advisor came back and apologised for the wrong service interval and told me it is every 7500 km. I even have it in writing.
JR Supercharger, JR RS Pulley, JR Oil cooler, JDL UEL header, Dual resonated 3" JDL Overpipe Front pipe, Perrin 3" resonated cat back exhaust, Upgraded Koyorad radiator, ECUTek tune, Enkei RS05RR 18x9.5, Bridgestone RE003 265/35/18, KW V3 Coilovers, Valenti sequential taillights, Kartboy short shifter kit
RevoG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:18 PM   #32
FT86Dubai

I agree with you, but according to the 7500km service receipt I uploaded earlier in this thread. They used 5w30 oil which I believe is only suitable for 5000km.
Old 04-07-2013, 04:35 AM   #33
Acid18

i cant say that it will only take till 5km but if i consider the Weather herein UAE probably the Best option of oil is 5W30 which can stand the heat that we have here in the UAE.

I have read this post here in the forum might as well copy it for reference.

The problem with trying to understand engine oil is the discussion tends to get either over simplified or overly complicated.
Folks often confuse the simple explanation with perpheral stuff that is often more complicated than their original question.

If you want to keep it simple, here is some info:

1) auto manufacturers make recommendations based on what they believe are the requirements they confront which do include things like:

- durability(to satisfy their warranty a ongoing quality goals)
- performance(starting, power, etc. in so far as it relates to oil selection)
- fuel economy requirements, (which includes emissions requirements such as reduced CO2, and can be either legislated or targeted)
- climates where the vehicle is sold or operated
- design requirements/limitations

The needs of all of these requirements have to be balanced. There are many ways to design an engine oil to meet a set of requirements. There are also many ways to get them to exceed requirements(adding features & benefits)

2) They select from co-operatively developed(between oil producers and vehicle manufacturers) industry standards for oils, such as ILSAC, API, JASO, SAE as the lubricant performance descriptors. Some even include their own or in some cases proprietary specifications.

3) They make recommendations that involve a performance category(such as API, ILSAC,ACEA, etc.) and a viscosity grade( SAE).

4) They tell you how often in their experience and with the criteria of 1)to change the oil to cover both what they categorize as normal and in some cases additionally severe use. They do that so you don't have to spend your time trying to figure it out by testing the oil yourself to determine what might be appropriate for the specific conditions assoicated with you operating your vehicle.

So the simplest recommendation is to follow what the manufacturer says!

So in this quote, saying all the grades are fine is a simiplification. To say they are all useless and too thick at low temperature, and they are all useless when overheated is a simplification. To consider it over simplification depends on your expectations? As an example it would definitely be an over simplification if you are suggesting that a 20W-50 will start at -35 with no potential short or long term effects.

If you want to understand a little bit more I would offer this:

Select a performance category(API, ILSAC,ACEA, etc.) based on what the manufacturer recommends. That is the minimum required. To understand the differences between these performance categories and what they mean requires way more time and research than most folks probably care to invest. For those who are willing to understand the details, I commend your enthusiasm, but caution that you have chosen a path that may be more challenging than you wish to undertake. Have fun if you choose to proceed, it can be quite fascinating.

Viscosity Grade understanding is usually where people focus their attention, but it is only one part of oil understanding that relates specifically to how the product moves. SAE viscosity grades are a catergorization, that is a "code" supposed to simplify something which is actually quite complex.

&&W-?? as in 5W-30

The &&W part represents low temperature performance defined by two critical areas:

1) Startability: Lower CCS(cold cranking simulator) viscosity guarantees starting to a minimum temperature by definition.
2) Pumpability: Lower MRV(Mini rotary viscometer) viscosity guarantees pumping to a minimum temperature by definition. Pumpability(oil will deliver to the pump and be delivered by the pump) for a grade is measured at 5 degrees C less than starting so if an oil is going to guarantee starting at a particular temperature it will be sure to pump.

definition of minimums:
http://www.infineum.com/Documents/AP...ils%202010.pdf
You also have to be careful to consult the latest version of the SAE system as it has changed over ther last 30 years.

So you see from a low temperature starting and pumping perspective a 5W-30 is guaranteed to start down to -30 C and pump down to -35 C. It may start and pump below those temperatures, but it is not guaranteed by definition to do so. So if you live in a place where the ambient temperature and engine temperature are -35C it is not within the relm of reason to expect an engine with a 20W-&& to pump or start at that temperature because it is only guaranteed to start down to -15C and pump to -20C? It is possible(but unlikely) it could pump and start but you would be severly stressing things due to the higher viscosity relative to the temperature. These viscosity codes also represent a range, so its possible to design at the high end of the range or alternatively anywhere in the range. You can also design so that you may have 5W starting, but 0W pumping(a case where the SAE grade has to be defined by the higher characteristic even though one part is lower)!

The ??: represents high temperature performance.

kinematic viscosity at 100 degC relates to flow(under gravitational shear loads) at 100 degC. Think basically about a cup(its actually a very small diameter glass tube) with a very small hole in the bottom and oil at 100C flowing through it. Back in 1911 when the first SAE J300 was issued this was all that was used to categorize oil viscosity grading SAE 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60. There was no "&&W" part in those days!

HTHS Viscosity: represents viscosity under shear loads and temperature conditions in the connecting rod bearings(where highest hydrodynamic loads and temperatures are experienced. Too thin and you get metal to metal contact, too thick and it impacts power and fuel economy.

Oil producers use the SAE system and engine manufacturers use the SAE system and when they make a recommendation for use of a viscosity grade for an operating temperature range they will have aligned their engine design with a clear understanding of how the viscosity grade recommendation will perform. Will other grades work? Probably but only they are likely to know how well for particular circumstances.

Now in the FRS/BRZ case they leave the question about more severe applications pretty open by suggesting that something thicker should be considered. Bearing in mind the primary 0W-20 recommendation it kind of begs the question whether there is a grade that might just be inappropriately too thick(keeping in mind the grades and their temperature relationship): A worthy question that no one seems to want to ask, where the only folks that should know are likely the engine manufacturer or the oil producer?
Mods: VDS Headers, Milltek Header Back System Resonated, H&R Sport Springs, AFE Magnum Flow Drop In filter, Stock Flat Black Dipped Rims, Black Dipped bumper tongue, Blacked out LED Headlights, Blacked out Tail lights
The Following User Says Thank You to Acid18 For This Useful Post:
FT86Dubai (04-07-2013)
Old 04-07-2013, 06:41 AM   #34
gzpermadi

Drives: Toyota 86 Silver
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
correct, although I am no chemist.
As far as I understand oil should be thin enough for cold starting while at the same time should be thick enough when engine running at 100C.

So 0W, 5W, 10W would not really matter since we never see temperature below 0C here.
What more important is the rating after W where 0W30 will be thicker than 0W20 at maximum temp.

For me as long as AFM will still honour the warranty by using 5W30 then I am ok
Who knows if the engine blown in 2 years then they will replace the car with the new 86 turbo
gzpermadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:59 AM   #35
Acid18

Quote:
Originally Posted by gzpermadi View Post
correct, although I am no chemist.
As far as I understand oil should be thin enough for cold starting while at the same time should be thick enough when engine running at 100C.

So 0W, 5W, 10W would not really matter since we never see temperature below 0C here.
What more important is the rating after W where 0W30 will be thicker than 0W20 at maximum temp.

For me as long as AFM will still honour the warranty by using 5W30 then I am ok
Who knows if the engine blown in 2 years then they will replace the car with the new 86 turbo
agree!!
Old 04-07-2013, 10:55 AM   #36
gzpermadi

Drives: Toyota 86 Silver
Garage
Just picked up the car from work today.
done 1K service, they use 5W30 and 75W90 for the gearbox/LSD oil.

The reason I asked to change the gear oil is because of this thread:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19218

Since gearbox is new maybe by doing the oil change will clean up the metal shavings.
I always change the gear oil once a year for my previous cars.

Cost is AED 465 tho
gzpermadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:22 AM   #37
rick

Drives: 86
There should be some advantage given to customers who go for an annual maintenance contract.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:39 PM   #38
Imti
~Hachi Roku~

Drives: 2013 Firestorm GT86 A/T
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick View Post
There should be some advantage given to customers who go for an annual maintenance contract.
They do provide an advantage for contract customers.

40% off parts &
20% off labor.

I learned this recently when I was offered the unpainted GT86 spoiler at AED1191 instead of AED1985! Pair of exhaust tips for AED336!

-----------------------

They also seem to have had their act together regarding service intervals & charges. Still expensive though. FYI, major service at 30K, 60K and 100K.

Toyota Al-Futtaim UAE annual service contract charges (FT86), same price for AT/MN models.
  • 7500km-22,500km (01 Year) = AED 3,050
  • 7500km-45,000km (02 Year) = AED 6,780 (paid in 2 installments)
  • 7500km-37,500km (03 Year) = AED 5,500 (paid in 2 installments)
  • 7500km-60,000km (04 Year) = AED 9,370 (didn't say)
  • 7500km-100,500km (05 Year) = AED 17,740 (didn't say)

UAE - Lightning Red Mid-Spec - Delivered 25th July'12 > IT'S HERE <

Last edited by Imti; 04-18-2013 at 08:16 PM.
Imti is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Imti For This Useful Post:
AbsolutKev86 (04-19-2013), gzpermadi (04-19-2013), hayolas (04-19-2013)
Old 04-19-2013, 02:02 AM   #39
hayolas

Drives: Toyota 86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Thx Imti useful info....was the spoiler available in stock or they have to order it for you? Would they also have the TRD spoiler?! We didn't see any TRD parts here in Aft Abu Dhabi
hayolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:46 AM   #40
Imti
~Hachi Roku~

Drives: 2013 Firestorm GT86 A/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by hayolas View Post
Thx Imti useful info....was the spoiler available in stock or they have to order it for you? Would they also have the TRD spoiler?! We didn't see any TRD parts here in Aft Abu Dhabi
No, not in stock. No ordering unless you willing to pay shipping which is for absurd amounts, trust me.

They asked me to call them end of April or in the 1st week of May. What happens is that their shipment from Japan, which include parts from all toyota models, arrives during that period. So your choice of item; either it is on their shipment or it isn't. Basically, a waiting game for end user.

As for TRD spoiler or bodykit, that was my initial query to them. And they seem oblivious to the prices(individual or full kit) let alone availability.

I believe our best bet till then is this link at www.japanparts.com. Where you can have it shipped unpainted TRD spoiler for AED1250 (as per current rates). And painted TRD spoiler shipped for AED1450. Installation should be a cinch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japanparts
Unpainted. 37J White or D4S Black painted is 5000JPY more (other color is not available at all). If painted one is needed, then please put which color you need in comments place. Then, we'll announce how to make the difference of 5000JPY.

UAE - Lightning Red Mid-Spec - Delivered 25th July'12 > IT'S HERE <
Imti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 02:31 AM   #41
hayolas

Drives: Toyota 86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Thanks Imti I guess this is the best solution. Al futtaim motors care more for the sale of camry's and corollas I guess and they don't know how to handle car enthusiasts
hayolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 03:05 AM   #42
FT86Dubai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imti View Post
No, not in stock. No ordering unless you willing to pay shipping which is for absurd amounts, trust me.

They asked me to call them end of April or in the 1st week of May. What happens is that their shipment from Japan, which include parts from all toyota models, arrives during that period. So your choice of item; either it is on their shipment or it isn't. Basically, a waiting game for end user.

As for TRD spoiler or bodykit, that was my initial query to them. And they seem oblivious to the prices(individual or full kit) let alone availability.

I believe our best bet till then is this link at www.japanparts.com. Where you can have it shipped unpainted TRD spoiler for AED1250 (as per current rates). And painted TRD spoiler shipped for AED1450. Installation should be a cinch?
TRD Parts are very expensive from Al Futtaim. One time I got a quote on a 5.7 TRD supercharger and it was latterly a little less than the price of two ordered from the US.

In regards to servicing my car at 12k km as noted on the door sticker. I took the car today and they said the next service as at 15k km. You guys werr right.