follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 05-01-2013, 01:38 PM   #29
Freetime

Drives: Raven Manual FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by invzabomaster View Post
i've noticed this annoying problem too. Never had this on my past two Civics. Post #11 does NOT work. its prolly a design flaw.
Yes it does. You have to make sure that the fan is ON when you change the temperature to the cold side. then turn the fan back off. You can't just move the temp control while the fan is off. It doesn't do anything.
Freetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 01:49 PM   #30
flippy

Drives: 2013 Firestorm Scion FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBR600RR View Post
Every single car I have ever owned has done this.

two ways to solve the non-issue:

1 - turn your air temp knob all the way to the cold/blue side
2 - turn on the air recirculation
I think if this doesnt work for your cars something is definitely wrong with the HVAC
flippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:24 AM   #31
frosty86

Drives: '13 FR-S (Whiteout) Manual
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I turned the notch to blue max a/c, pressed the re-circulation button (on) after setting it to the coldest possible, turned the A/C on and then back off. Still, warm air creeped through the vents to bug me. I even turned the slider notch on the AC vents so they don't blow any air at all. Then hot air started seeping into the leg room through the cracks and spacing of the interior panels (Passenger side too)

None of my cars ever did this before...EVER... and i drove a camry and a subaru wrx in that order. So quit telling me it's "normal" when it's not. Oh and on top of that, A/C is starting to smell like shit.
frosty86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:54 PM   #32
blunova
"Slyde"

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by shu5892001 View Post
no disrespect but have you ever driven a car before? Your own car? Parents car?

EVERY CAR IS LIKE THIS
I just saw this and had to reply since I made this thread.

I love how people think they can start things with "no disrespect but.." and then say something insulting. Like that makes it ok?

Anyway, yep, I sure have driven cars before. And no, not every car is like this as neither my Chevy or Ford worked this way. You would get cool air from the outside if it was cool outside - not warm air. Thanks for asking, though!!
blunova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 02:08 PM   #33
jshadeck

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout 6MT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikem53 View Post
this is not a lexus and is minimal on noise and temp isolation materials..
Agreed with this response. But this happened even w my lexus

OP, yes this is normal with some cars, i would bet its the same cars that suffer from one form of heat soak or another. (As my supras, is300, and now this car seem to suffer a bit) possibly in part due to the undercover beneath the engine? If u have ur knob set to cool, and turn the fan one click it should go away w out causing any real noise etc. or close ur vents
Old 05-06-2013, 04:32 PM   #34
BagOfArms

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S (Asphalt)
Garage
I had this problem with my Rabbit, too. With the fan off and the temperature knob set to cool, it would be warm. With the knob set to hot, it would be hot. It hasn't been cold enough here to use the heat yet, so i can't say much about the FR-S in this regard.
BagOfArms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 01:04 PM   #35
FRiSson

Drives: FR-S MT
Anyone come up with a solution for the warmed air problem? Air coming through my vents with temp set all the way counterclockwise is warmer than the outside air. I do not like using the recirculation button since the air gets stuffy and humid. I do keep the fan on all the time though.

Last edited by FRiSson; 05-22-2013 at 01:27 PM.
FRiSson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 01:17 PM   #36
Tylub

Drives: Raven Black FR-S
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRiSson View Post
Anyone come up with a solution for the warmed air problem? Air coming through my vents with temp set all the way counterclockwise is warmer than the outside air. I do not like using the recirculation button since the air gets stuffy and humid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BagOfArms View Post
I had this problem with my Rabbit, too. With the fan off and the temperature knob set to cool, it would be warm. With the knob set to hot, it would be hot. It hasn't been cold enough here to use the heat yet, so i can't say much about the FR-S in this regard.
the air coming through the vents when the fan is OFF and the recirculation button is OFF is from the outside

basically the vents stay open and whatever air temperature is outside will come into the car, (after it's been slightly warmed up by the engine bay heat of course). Every car is like this. the reason when the temp. dial is turned to heat is more dramatic is because now the heat from the engine bay is now blowing into your cabin... thus = free heater without wasting your gas turning on the heater.

great feature for canyon runs too with your windows down at night...

however if you do not want the air to flow from into your cabin via vents, then just press the recirculation button and DONE... no more air.

and if it's too stuffy, roll down the window or just turn on the A/C

:happy0180:

instagram @Tylub
Mods: Tomei UELs, Tomei OP, Perrin Catted FP, ARK DT-S, Perrin LW Crank Pulley, Enkei RPF1, RSR Sporti, Supertek Intake Tube, Perrin CAI, Stoptech SS lines/brakes/slotted rotors, Cusco MCB brace/Strut Bar
Tylub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 01:32 PM   #37
FRiSson

Drives: FR-S MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylub View Post
the air coming through the vents when the fan is OFF and the recirculation button is OFF is from the outside

basically the vents stay open and whatever air temperature is outside will come into the car, (after it's been slightly warmed up by the engine bay heat of course). Every car is like this. the reason when the temp. dial is turned to heat is more dramatic is because now the heat from the engine bay is now blowing into your cabin... thus = free heater without wasting your gas turning on the heater.

great feature for canyon runs too with your windows down at night...

however if you do not want the air to flow from into your cabin via vents, then just press the recirculation button and DONE... no more air.

and if it's too stuffy, roll down the window or just turn on the A/C

It reflects poor design on Toyota's part that the outside cabin air intake tubes are insufficiently insulated from engine compartment heat.

Your statement about saving gas is obviated by the fact that even when the temperature outside is 60 farenheit I must turn on my air conditioner to maintain a comfortable cabin temperature. These are times when I keep my windows closed due to traffic noise.
FRiSson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 03:13 PM   #38
Tylub

Drives: Raven Black FR-S
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
It reflects poor design on Toyota's part that the outside cabin air intake tubes are insufficiently insulated from engine compartment heat.

Your statement about saving gas is obviated by the fact that even when the temperature outside is 60 farenheit I must turn on my air conditioner to maintain a comfortable cabin temperature. These are times when I keep my windows closed due to traffic noise.
well it's not only Toyota that has this "feature" as stated in other posts, but many manufacturers have this and is in fact "normal". My past cars all have it... along with cars I drive or sit in. (Mazda Rx-8 R3, Fiat 500c, Porsche cayman, BMWs, etc.)

but yes I agree with you as to it being cold and the interior air being warmed up... but what can you do eh?

instagram @Tylub
Mods: Tomei UELs, Tomei OP, Perrin Catted FP, ARK DT-S, Perrin LW Crank Pulley, Enkei RPF1, RSR Sporti, Supertek Intake Tube, Perrin CAI, Stoptech SS lines/brakes/slotted rotors, Cusco MCB brace/Strut Bar
Tylub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:32 AM   #39
zinithin

Drives: Scion frs, Manual, Hot lava
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylub View Post

Using your heater doesn't use more gas. A heater in effect recovers waste heat from the engine and discharges it into the cabin instead of sending the heat to the radiator to be lost to the outside air. In fact, if your engine is overheating you can turn on your heater to help cool it down.
zinithin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 11:41 PM   #40
notout86

Drives: GTS 86 auto
Quote:

I'm with you FRiSson. No previous cars of ours had this problem. If the temp control was minimised you got whatever temp. the air was going to the system.
Set to FRESH you got outside temp. Set to RECIRC you got cabin temp. The fan gave you more.
I have filled gaps on the engine compartment side and am confident there's no air getting in from there but it made no useful difference.
This is the only car we've had with a pollen filter so I wonder if it is something to do with that?
notout86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 02:01 AM   #41
fistpoint

Drives: Supercharged Golf Cart
Quote:
Originally Posted by fistpoint View Post
My RSX has always done this too. The air is warm because it's hot outside. If it were cold outside, you'd get cold air "leaking" through with the fan off.
Well well, the first relatively cool night we've had...and the air was still warm, almost hot. Not the same as I was thinking when comparing to my RSX which "leaks" air in even when the fan is off. The only time I move the temp lever is when it gets to be 50 degrees outside, that isn't the issue.

I'm going to revisit this thread when it really gets cold outside. If the air is still warm at that point, I won't be happy. A/C off is a luxury to me, and I love the cold outside air. If it's cold outside and your temp setting is all the way on blue, you shouldn't have warm air, period. We shall see.

I never use recirculate, ever. And I shouldn't have to start now.
fistpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fistpoint For This Useful Post:
Evil Jesus (09-08-2013)
Old 08-27-2013, 08:52 PM   #42
mike the snake

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
On my BRZ, my AC is capable of blowing icy cold, but it cycles on and off and never blows super icy cold (issue #1).

With the system off, my car blows warm air like other have stated. It blows harder when at speed, less when sitting. This tells me it has to do with something being open to the atmosphere, as high speeds equals more warm air blowing.

I think part of my issue#1 has to do with the AC having to overcome the warm air that's always blowing into the car.

Switching the fan on, temp to LO, and pushing the recirculating button, and then switching the system off doesn't change this.
mike the snake is offline   Reply With Quote