follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 01-10-2017, 06:20 AM   #43
flyboy
New here!

Drives: 2013 FRS 10 Series
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
@Overdrive thanks for all the advise. I think a trickle charger wouldn't be a bad thing. As they say prevention is better than cure. I have had a dead battery on my motorcycle and a car. I guess it was just because of the fact that it sat they for couple of weeks then drive a week and sat again for few more weeks.

BTW, I got a quote for the 205/55/16; the Blizzaks WS80 are $798 and Nokian 8's(studded) are for $822. The wheels are extra $380, but will try to find if I can get them cheaper somewhere. I am getting more inclined for the studded Nokians because of the ice and it wears out much less and seems to be pretty close to a performance tire too.
@Guru I don't understand the winter beater concept either. Not that rich either to afford two cars and take care of them all.

The steel wheels though, what are the specs for that? 16x6.5 5-100 or something different?

My only concern is the drive from the parking lot to the tire store (a 3 mile journey). It hasn't snowed in a while though. Any suggestions, should I be worried coz of the stock tires on them. Will take it really slow.

flyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 06:23 AM   #44
flyboy
New here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-Sky View Post
Just let you know there is a button under the steer wheel that can turn it on and off. Maybe it is off. @@ You should try it, maybe you are the lucky one too ^^

p.S this is a magical button that other FRS dont have !!!
Haha, I will look for that. I am out of town for few.. can't wait to gete back to get it all preped up for the winter and drive around!
Old 01-10-2017, 06:28 AM   #45
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,285 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy View Post
@Overdrive thanks for all the advise. I think a trickle charger wouldn't be a bad thing. As they say prevention is better than cure. I have had a dead battery on my motorcycle and a car. I guess it was just because of the fact that it sat they for couple of weeks then drive a week and sat again for few more weeks.

BTW, I got a quote for the 205/55/16; the Blizzaks WS80 are $798 and Nokian 8's(studded) are for $822. The wheels are extra $380, but will try to find if I can get them cheaper somewhere. I am getting more inclined for the studded Nokians because of the ice and it wears out much less and seems to be pretty close to a performance tire too.
@Guru I don't understand the winter beater concept either. Not that rich either to afford two cars and take care of them all.

The steel wheels though, what are the specs for that? 16x6.5 5-100 or something different?

My only concern is the drive from the parking lot to the tire store (a 3 mile journey). It hasn't snowed in a while though. Any suggestions, should I be worried coz of the stock tires on them. Will take it really slow.

will need a wheel bore size of 56.1
Old 01-10-2017, 08:43 AM   #46
gravitylover

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium 6MT White
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Really, just head for a salvage yard and grab some wheels from another Subaru like a Forester or older WRX/2.5RS if you want 16". You should be able to get them pretty inexpensively, certainly less than $380. I use the 17's from an Outback. The few mm's difference in offset is pretty meaningless IMO and this is the third winter I'm running them with no problems. Get the studded tires or an ice tire where you are, I'm not sold on the WS80's being the best choice.

Quote:

Old 01-10-2017, 08:47 AM   #47
Guru Woodman

Drives: 2015 BRZ Sport Tech CWP
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
+ on the Nokian Hakkapeliitta 8's. The name alone is worth it. We are not allowed to have studded tires here but if I could it would have been my choice.

Old 01-10-2017, 09:31 AM   #48
ChinatownDragon

Drives: 2016 Ablaze FR-S MT
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
If you are on stock tires don't drive if under 7C degrees (44F) even if there is NO snow. Snow is not the issue with summer tires the cold is.
With snow tires the number becomes closer to 14 inches (35cm).

14 inches on stock height only right? I put Blizzaks on but still have yet to find enough courage to drive on any snow. Used to be a wild child and go out in blizzards in my camry with all seasons though
ChinatownDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 09:31 AM   #49
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guru Woodman View Post
+ on the Nokian Hakkapeliitta 8's. The name alone is worth it. We are not allowed to have studded tires here but if I could it would have been my choice.

I sometimes miss studded tires!
Old 01-10-2017, 09:36 AM   #50
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinatownDragon View Post
14 inches on stock height only right? I put Blizzaks on but still have yet to find enough courage to drive on any snow. Used to be a wild child and go out in blizzards in my camry with all seasons though
Nope. I am dropped 1 1/2 and have had zero issues up to 14 inches of snow. That is the deepest I have come across yet so don't really know where my limit is. Now, that was nice fluffy stuff so that helped. Since I usually am the first one to leave my street in the mornings I am frequently the snowplow for the neighbors. They tolerate my noise because I leave a nice 3 inch high path for them.
I would rather drive thorough deep snow than packed snow/ice anyway.
Attached Images

Old 01-10-2017, 09:40 AM   #51
daiheadjai

Drives: 2003 S2000, 2008 Fit
Thanked 1,154 Times in 688 Posts
Be gentle with all your inputs: no hard braking or flooring the gas, or quick direction changes. Look farther ahead so you can anticipate your next move.
Smooth is safe.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
daiheadjai is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to daiheadjai For This Useful Post:
Overdrive (01-10-2017), Tcoat (01-10-2017)
Old 01-10-2017, 10:13 AM   #52
flyboy
New here!

@Guru just the sound of the name makes you want to get them, Hakkapeliitta means light cavalry men. I guess it will be the Nokians.

Didn't knew studs were not allowed in Canada! Thanks for all the advise though guys. I hope I can find the steelies, but it shouldn't be a problem 1 out of every 2 cars is a Subaru in Anchorage!!
Old 01-10-2017, 10:27 AM   #53
Overdrive
Sittin' Sideways

Drives: 2016 Toyota FR-S
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
I think finding used Subaru wheels is a good choice suggested to you a few posts back. You should be able to get a set cheaply. They don't have to be pretty and perfect, just whole and able to hold air and be balanced. The offset is close enough that fitment will work and you won't have any concerns of rubbing or contacting brake/suspension pieces. Buying new steelies is kinda highway robbery. Find a used set that someone else ate the new cost on, and save yourself some money. You might even find a set of used wheels with tires for sale locally like I did, and spend less than half that high cost you posted earlier for a set of wheels with tires mounted, maybe even with TPMS already installed, too.

Also, make sure you get a maintainer and not just a charger. A maintainer will stop charging fully when the battery is 100%, and then just maintains (heheh) the full charge safely from there so your battery doesn't get overcharged.

Last edited by Overdrive; 01-11-2017 at 12:04 AM.
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Overdrive For This Useful Post:
why? (01-10-2017)
Old 01-10-2017, 10:28 AM   #54
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,845 Times in 16,434 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdrive View Post
Word of warning, make sure you plug the battery in as soon as you're parked in the garage. If the battery cools down and ends up frozen, you do not want to attempt charging a frozen battery. If you start charging it before it can cool that far though, it'll be fine.............

Good essay, there Overdrive ......

But, you lost me when you talked about a battery freezing, when it's in your car parked, in a garage.

Where in the USA do you live .....?? I figure if a battery freezes inside of a garage, it is either very low on charge ........ OR you really need to move to a warmer climate ......

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 10:41 AM   #55
Guru Woodman

Drives: 2015 BRZ Sport Tech CWP
Quote:
@Guru just the sound of the name makes you want to get them, Hakkapeliitta means light cavalry men. I guess it will be the Nokians.

Didn't knew studs were not allowed in Canada! Thanks for all the advise though guys. I hope I can find the steelies, but it shouldn't be a problem 1 out of every 2 cars is a Subaru in Anchorage!!
How cool is that! A Hakkapeliitta riding through a Hakkapeliitta

I had to settle for the R2's. Also an amazing winter tire.
Old 01-10-2017, 11:06 AM   #56
Overdrive
Sittin' Sideways

Drives: 2016 Toyota FR-S
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Good essay, there Overdrive ......

But, you lost me when you talked about a battery freezing, when it's in your car parked, in a garage.

Where in the USA do you live .....?? I figure if a battery freezes inside of a garage, it is either very low on charge ........ OR you really need to move to a warmer climate ......

humfrz
Not talking from a personal experience there, just something I know can happen, and according to the OP he deals with much lower temps on the regular than I do, and below freezing at that. Why take a chance? Plug it in when you park it on that last day of driving, and never worry about the car being dead.