follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 06-22-2016, 09:00 PM   #1
ChrisJ

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Another Backup Cam Doesn't Work Thread

Hello,

I bought a Roadshop backup cam and installed it into the BRZ head. The camera worked perfectly for several months. Then the camera stopped working entirely. The diagnostic screen says the backup camera is not detected.

I pulled the head and all the connectors and cables look fine. I soldered the connections and they're solid.

Went to the dealer and they didn't help.

I cut the power wire and confirmed that camera is not getting power from the head. This is in reverse. I was hoping to get a little help before I go further.

The next step will be to confirm that the camera runs with an independent power source. Assuming it does,

1) What's a good place to pull power for the camera? I'd rather tap into a tail light or reverse light than connect to another line in the dash.

2) Has anyone heard of a command to disable the backup camera? I was reading this for a Subaru Outback

The rear view display has two levels of ON/OFF-ness:

1) Briefly pressing the power button (while in reverse)
toggles the display ON/OFF, but it reverts to ON when
the ignition is turned off then back on.

2) Holding the power button down for 12-15 seconds
(while in reverse) disables the display, and it remains
disabled until you repeat the 12-15 sec button press.

(see 2011 Owners Manual pages 3-36, 3-37)

So this isn't 2011 and it's not an Outback, but still. . .

3) Can anyone tell me which fuse controls the backup camera line?

Thanks to all of you in advance.
ChrisJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 09:31 PM   #2
SVXdc
Radio wiring harness guru

Drives: 1996 SVX L AWD
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Which BRZ head unit model? (find the number printed on the front, as well as the numbers on the mfr's sticker on the top)

Is this really in a Toyota MR2, or do you need to update your profile? (in other words, what car year and model is this?)

Subaru BRZ Fujitsu Ten HUs check for the camera each time you turn your key from OFF to ACC. The HU will decide you don't have a camera (and thus disable the camera function) if it does not see the camera video signal during that test.

That could be caused by no video signal from the camera, which could be due to any of these reasons:
  • Dead camera
  • Bad connection from camera video signal to HU
  • Bad connection on power lead from HU to camera
The 6 Volt camera power comes directly from the HU to the camera -- there is no separate fuse.

Narrow down the location of the problem:
  • Check that the camera provides a good video signal (temporarily connect it to the composite input on a monitor or TV). Initially leave everything else as it was, including the camera powered from the HU. If that doesn't work, power your aftermarket camera from 12V. Then try 6V (using batteries).
  • Connect a known good NTSC composite video signal to the HU's rear camera input, and verify that it displays that image. Use anything handy (digital camera with appropriate cable, camcorder, game console, DVD player, VCR, etc.).
  • Verify that the OEM HU supplies the 6V power. When the camera is not working or disconnected, the HU will only do this for a few seconds immediately after you turn the key from OFF to ACC.
See this guide for more information and tips.
Old 06-25-2016, 10:16 PM   #3
stevesnj

Drives: 2016 FR-S Oceanic Blue
Thanked 1,601 Times in 923 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Hook it to the reverse light positive.

My 2016 Build thread

TRD Exhaust with custom quad tips, TRD Lowering Springs,TRD Quick shifter,LED;DRL, Projectors, and turn signals. Re-badge, 86 Nanny, WinmaxW2 Pads, K&N Drop In, Antenna delete
stevesnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 05:32 PM   #4
SVXdc
Radio wiring harness guru

Drives: 1996 SVX L AWD
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevesnj View Post
Hook it to the reverse light positive.
Toyota head units (and some of Subaru's) won't work that way -- the HU will fail to see the camera during the HU's boot-up check.
Old 07-01-2016, 04:10 PM   #5
techie182

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Im also having problem but totally opposite from your situation. My camera is getting constant power when gear is in drive. Camera has built in led lights so I can see when its getting power.
Damn i was hoping i could just tap it to reverse light.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
techie182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 10:09 PM   #6
stevesnj

Drives: 2016 FR-S Oceanic Blue
Thanked 1,601 Times in 923 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
If I had the 2016 wiring diagram for my car i can find out where the cam gets power from... in the FSM it just shows a connector. Probably 2-3 wires.
Attached Images

My 2016 Build thread

TRD Exhaust with custom quad tips, TRD Lowering Springs,TRD Quick shifter,LED;DRL, Projectors, and turn signals. Re-badge, 86 Nanny, WinmaxW2 Pads, K&N Drop In, Antenna delete
stevesnj is offline   Reply With Quote