follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 10-18-2014, 11:31 AM   #1611
AlumaFX

Drives: Kia Optima SX
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narcoden View Post
OK, my dashlinq4 came today and I have something strange going on.

Once I plug the unit in, my fog/running lights come on. But they don't come on full power, they are flickering. Turning the fog light on like normal brings them to full power however. Unplug the radio, and the lights go off.

Also, the clock in the car goes dark when I plug the radio in... If I turn the lights on, the clock come on, but only if you have the interior light volume wheel turned all the way up.

Should be plug and play right? Using the harness they sent with the unit fits everything OK.

I'm coming off the original generic android head unit from last year that was popular...

Any ideas?
Sounds like the dimmer might be shorted out. Try disconnecting that wire and see if that fixes it.
AlumaFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 09:56 PM   #1612
Narcoden

Drives: '13 Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlumaFX View Post
Sounds like the dimmer might be shorted out. Try disconnecting that wire and see if that fixes it.
Thank you! That does stop my car from acting up. Something must be wrong with my unit.

Sent from my Nexus 7
Narcoden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 07:47 PM   #1613
Necric

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Just got mine in, so far I love it! One question though. Mine seems to bug on increasing volume when I press the home button. Once I press it, the HU thinks its mapped to increasing the volume up and its spamming it. If I go to SPC it shows that key as blinking on volume up really fast. after I press it again once or twice it stops increasing the volume but keeps blinking on SPC. Any thoughts?

Or is this a known issue that I suck at searching for?

EDIT: Fixed it with a factory reset via settings.

Last edited by Necric; 10-21-2014 at 08:55 AM. Reason: Fixed
Necric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 01:47 AM   #1614
lamune

Drives: 14 WRB BRZ Limited MT
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Here's a summary of my Ca-Fi adventure...

What I bought:
  • Antenna cable for AM/FM :
  • [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004W34BBK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1"]Amazon.com : Scosche LSAAB Antenna Adapter for 2002-Up Dual Lexus : Vehicle Wiring Harnesses : Car Electronics[/ame]
  • USB adapter to retain the factory USB port. The male side of this connect goes on the Ca-Fi, while the GREY (the link's picture is brown, its wrong.) goes to the factory connector:
  • [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EAYYQDO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1"]Amazon.com : Axxess by Metra AX-TOYUSB USB Adaptor to Retain the OE USB in Select Toyota/Lexus Vehicles : Vehicle Audio Video Power Adapters : Car Electronics[/ame]
  • A MSD card for music/media/whatever

What you'll be missing:
  • The AUX jack, I never used AUX so meh.
  • HD radio, who still listens to radio? I can watch Twitch on this thing!
  • A laggy interface
  • Crappy sound quality

Installation:
  1. Remove factory HU.
  2. Pretty straight forward, pop panels, grab your 10mm and loosen 4 bolts. Disconnect all cables, take out factory HU.
  3. Remove the 2 side brackets from the factory HU, save these for the Ca-Fi.
  4. Align the brackets and install on the Ca-Fi.
  5. Put adapters on the factory harness. Again, straight forward, A goes to A, B goes to B. There are no confusing connectors or one's that look alike. Don't worry about all the connectors that aren't connected. They are the factory GPS antenna and SAT radio antenna.

EDIT: Please read this post, there are some extra wire steps for the factory amp to work correctly. http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...postcount=1653
    SVXdc also has some posts with some good info, at the time of this edit, his posts are in page 75
  6. Connect the Wifi adapter that came with the Ca-Fi on the USB port comes out of the HU.
  7. Don't forgot the GPS antenna.
  8. Reverse of step 1.
  9. Fire it up!
Optional 10. Flash the rooted rom from http://burmjeff.com/dashlinq4-rom/

Stuff that worked:
All the software that came with Ca-Fi. Resuming works as intended, GPS works.
Other third party apps.
Wifi tether from my phone. I made a NFC tag + this to toggle my phone's hotspot

Stuff that didn't for me:
1. Freezing Carhome for a custom launcher (I tried Apex). This messed up the resume feature. It resumed if I turned it back on within a couple of minutes, but longer duration, the HU restarts from scratch.
2. PowerAmp/Other media players. Resuming doesn't work. Sometimes, my amp (connected to amp on wire) wouldn't come back on when using these players unless I adjusted the volume. As soon as I did, the amp came back on. I had no issues with this on the stock apps. It is also very a PITA to use 3rd party media players + Carhome, since you can't change the defaults of what Carhome launches..
If you do want to freeze Carhome, make sure you've already installed your launcher + set the launcher as default with home2shortcut. If you don't, it'll be stuck on the Android logo screen.
3. My cheap [ame="http://www.amazon.com/ELM327-Bluetooth-CAN-BUS-Diagnostic-Scanner/dp/B0090ZJPMK"]ODBII [/ame]. Ca-Fi can find it and connect, but Torque said unable to talk to ECU

Overall impressions? Pretty good for something from China. Blends in nicely, looks OEM. It's slow compared to today's phones, but its still light-years faster than OEM and other Android HUs out there (some are still on 2.3 ???) If you've used an Android phone, you know how to use this. Unless someone is able to completely remove Carhome and have it resume, I'll be sticking with the apps that came standard.

Consult this Google Doc for other issues/info.

Whew! Wall of text.. Thanks for reading.
Attached Images

Last edited by lamune; 11-15-2014 at 06:29 PM. Reason: added more steps
lamune is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lamune For This Useful Post:
arvidj (10-26-2014), DC2R (10-21-2014), MaximaZero (10-22-2014), protpibe (10-21-2014)
Old 10-21-2014, 07:43 AM   #1615
Narcoden

Drives: '13 Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Using tech support via email sucks. It's taking almost a week to work through my problems. Currently my amp only turns on when I turn the head lights on. It is wired up correctly. There is something clearly wrong with mine and no offers from Ca-Fi to just replace the thing already. Everything I get an email, I have to respond and wait... Sometimes it's days before I get an email back. Do they have a phone number for support?

Sent from my Nexus 7
Narcoden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 11:17 AM   #1616
DC2R

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Necric View Post
Just got mine in, so far I love it! One question though. Mine seems to bug on increasing volume when I press the home button. Once I press it, the HU thinks its mapped to increasing the volume up and its spamming it. If I go to SPC it shows that key as blinking on volume up really fast. after I press it again once or twice it stops increasing the volume but keeps blinking on SPC. Any thoughts?

Had the same experience after opening SWC app. I've hidden the SWC app and never touched since.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
DC2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 01:03 PM   #1617
B-R-Z
I love peanut butter

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Is there any custom ROMs available for CaFi, such as CM? I want this but don't want to be stuck with the stock build.
B-R-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 01:13 PM   #1618
Pwolf

Drives: 2013 GBS BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,380 Times in 560 Posts
Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamune View Post
HD radio, who still listens to radio?
I do...
Old 10-21-2014, 03:34 PM   #1619
DC2R

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-R-Z View Post
Is there any custom ROMs available for CaFi, such as CM? I want this but don't want to be stuck with the stock build.
There is currently no custom recovery so that is the first step in custom ROM loading

Old 10-21-2014, 03:59 PM   #1620
B-R-Z
I love peanut butter

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC2R View Post
There is currently no custom recovery so that is the first step in custom ROM loading

So the only thing available for now is root?
B-R-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 04:16 PM   #1621
Andrew025

Drives: Neptune GR86
Thanked 3,505 Times in 1,806 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC2R View Post

Case by case basis of course, but a custom ROM can be loaded without custom recovery.
Old 10-21-2014, 05:32 PM   #1622
lamune

Drives: 14 WRB BRZ Limited MT
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Is there a difference between removing Carhome via "factory.prop" and freezing Carhome (if you have root)??

If at all possible, I do want to go back to a custom launcher with resuming working fully. When I was testing, I had pretty sweet setup where the home button Apex, home in Apex went to Poweramp. When in PowerAmp, home went back to Apex.
Old 10-21-2014, 08:52 PM   #1623
protpibe

Drives: 4-Runner Sport - 13' BRZ SportTech
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Necric View Post

Mine did that too. It ended up being the steering wheel audio signal wire (orange I think?). I cut it and capped it off in the cafi harness
Old 10-22-2014, 05:56 PM   #1624
DC2R

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-R-Z View Post
So the only thing available for now is root?
Yes