follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 11-11-2015, 01:33 AM   #1
jsalaz03

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited (MT)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question First Post Please be gentle. Might need New clutch, suggestions plz?

Hi guys, Just got my 2014 pearl white Subaru Brz (Manual Trans) about a month ago. I learned how to drive stick in this car, and it currently has about 11,200 miles. I bought it used with 8500 miles, and am the happiest guy right now, great car. Anyways, I recently ran into a problem with my clutch one day out of no where going really soft on me. when I originally bought the car it was fine. I did learn in this car and I know that puts alot of strain on the clutch but I learned really quick and am now able to drive with no problems, plus i've only put like 3k miles on it. Unfortunately after the clutch feeling super soft, the car revs up slower, and I am afraid that the cars clutch is slipping. The clutch still catches but barely, and it just doesnt pull like it did before the softer clutch. I'm going to get a shop to look at it soon and see what the deal is. when I was learning MT, I wasn't driving the car recklessly. then again I am the second owner and IDK how the person before me drove.
Hopefully I don't need a new clutch, but I'm preparing for the worst. Any suggestions on aftermarket clutch kits? thanks guys

Mods
-Perrin cold air intake
-Invidia N1 catback

fluids
- I Changed my fluidswhen I got the car to Motul. changed engine oil, trans oil, and differential.

Last edited by jsalaz03; 11-11-2015 at 01:44 AM.
jsalaz03 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jsalaz03 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (11-11-2015)
Old 11-11-2015, 01:49 AM   #2
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,819 Times in 16,427 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsalaz03 View Post
Hi guys, Just got my 2014 pearl white Subaru Brz (Manual Trans) about a month ago. .
Well, jsalaz03 ....... CONGRATULATIONS on your purchase and WELCOME to ... The Group ......

I would suggest that you bleed the clutch hydraulic system, to make sure there isn't any air in the lines (which could make the clutch feel "soft".)

Next, I'd suggest you check the clutch adjustment.

NOTE: Usually a engine will rev up faster, if the clutch is slipping.

Worst case is that the clutch disk is wore out and needs to be replaced.

To check that, warm up the car, set the emergency brake, put it in second gear, rev the engine to about 2,500 rpms and slowly let out the clutch. If the engine stalls, the clutch still has some life. Of course, if the engine keeps running, the clutch is slipping and should be replaced.

If you have to replace the clutch, I'd suggest replacing the throw out bearing also (they seem to be weak on some of these cars).

From what I read, unless you are going to track the car hard and/or up the power of the engine a bunch, the OEM clutch is OK as a replacement.

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
MisterSheep (11-11-2015), Tcoat (11-11-2015)
Old 11-11-2015, 02:34 AM   #3
jsalaz03

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Well, jsalaz03 ....... CONGRATULATIONS on your purchase and WELCOME to ... The Group ......

humfrz
Thank you for the reply and the welcome. I will try out what you said about the clutch disc when I get home. And yeah I thought a clutch bleed would be a good idea. I'll prob use ATE Gold for the clutch bleed. Im going tomorrow afternoon to get the clutch checked out.

Also I plan to put a Borla or Tomei header in the car and finally get it tuned with ECU Tek. So If I do get a clutch I guess the OEM will do in the case that I have to change it.

I appreciate it
The Following User Says Thank You to jsalaz03 For This Useful Post:
humfrz (11-11-2015)
Old 11-11-2015, 09:33 AM   #4
86Tony

Drives: 2015 AOZORA EDITION
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Thank you for the reply and the welcome. I will try out what you said about the clutch disc when I get home. And yeah I thought a clutch bleed would be a good idea. I'll prob use ATE Gold for the clutch bleed. Im going tomorrow afternoon to get the clutch checked out.

Also I plan to put a Borla or Tomei header in the car and finally get it tuned with ECU Tek. So If I do get a clutch I guess the OEM will do in the case that I have to change it.

I appreciate it
If you going to buy a new clutch i would suggest gettin a ACT clutch kit.
86Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 10:11 AM   #5
radroach

Drives: car
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
I think the throwout bearing wearing out is what causes the change in clutch feel. My clutch felt soft going somewhere after 15-20k miles, couldn't chirp 2nd. After changing the clutch assembly / throwout bearing, it tightened that up again and can chirp 2nd again, however the clutch feel is lighter, probably due to the new parts and fresh lube.

Anyway, just saying it's probably the throwout bearing thats causing the change in feel.
radroach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 10:23 AM   #6
shattered_memory

Drives: Satin White BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Take it to the subaru dealer for them to check out the problem. You are still under warranty. I may be wrong, but a service advisor told me that the clutch is covered for the first 12,000 miles.
shattered_memory is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shattered_memory For This Useful Post:
MisterSheep (11-11-2015)
Old 11-11-2015, 02:36 PM   #7
Spartarus
...Just add nauseum

Drives: 2003 (AP1) S2000
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
You say it revs up slower. I assume you're saying it revs up slower with the clutch depressed?

You said the pedal suddenly went soft. I suspect it is dragging and not disengaging fully, possibly air in the line from low fluid level. Possibly a leak. Did you check the clutch fluid level?

The slave cylinder is sitting right on top of the bellhousing, and are visible from above. the line goes to the reservoir, which is to the left of the brake booster, viewed from the front. Take a look at them. Post a picture.

There are many ways to displace.

-Spartarus
Spartarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 04:04 PM   #8
MisterSheep
Killed Scion

Drives: 2013 FR-S Whiteout
Thanked 7,307 Times in 4,485 Posts
Mentioned: 334 Post(s)
Tagged: 185 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by shattered_memory View Post
Take it to the subaru dealer for them to check out the problem. You are still under warranty. I may be wrong, but a service advisor told me that the clutch is covered for the first 12,000 miles.
depends on where you live but here they cover "1 warrantied clutch as long as it hasn't been abused/raced/clutch dropped at every light for hard launching." talked to a service manager at walnut creek subaru and he told me this. The warrantied clutch is redeemable in your bumper to bumper warranty. Unfortunately I have a FR-S and not a BRZ so he could not perform this through warranty because I don't hae a subaru. But he said they can do the job, just not warrantied.
Originally Posted by KR-S 86 View Post
What are you talking about? You just killed one of the worst brands in history according to enthusiasts. People will be worshipping you like sheep.
MisterSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 07:58 PM   #9
Packofcrows
hey you, yeah you <3

Drives: 2014 37J FR-S
Thanked 1,258 Times in 809 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Warm car up, sit still, slowly grandma style push clutch in, in neutral and out 2-3 times. Any rattle? Or odd noise?

If so, may be TOB.
Old 11-11-2015, 09:22 PM   #10
Mr.ac
[insert cool phrase here]

Drives: BRZ Premium
Thanked 1,558 Times in 930 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Make sure your clutch fluid is at top level. Low level would make it feel soft.
With only 11k miles it's a bit odd for low clutch life. Unless it was highly abused. If you could smell the clutch while learning to drive then yes it could be time to change it.
Mr.ac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 12:08 AM   #11
jsalaz03

Thanks for the replies everyone

Thank you every one for the replies. Been super helpful. Dumb question- Im new to the forum How do I thank people or tag them lol?

I Took my car to Subaru of morristown and one of their guys went with me in the car and test drove it. He said the clutch felt fine, and that it wasn't slipping. They also checked my Clutch fluid and the fluid was fine. It wasn't low.

I Also found out that my clutch is actually covered aong with my warrenty so that got me kinda feeling better . I suspect it may be the Throwout Bearings?

Some Subaru representative is going to come by Dec 12th and drive my car. unfortunately the guys that were there haven't really driven a BRz so they couldn't tell if it lost power or not.
Old 11-14-2015, 12:11 AM   #12
jsalaz03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.ac View Post
Make sure your clutch fluid is at top level. Low level would make it feel soft.
With only 11k miles it's a bit odd for low clutch life. Unless it was highly abused. If you could smell the clutch while learning to drive then yes it could be time to change it.
I Have not smelled anything strange.
Old 11-14-2015, 12:17 AM   #13
jsalaz03

Quote:
Originally Posted by radroach View Post
I think the throwout bearing wearing out is what causes the change in clutch feel. My clutch felt soft going somewhere after 15-20k miles, couldn't chirp 2nd. After changing the clutch assembly / throwout bearing, it tightened that up again and can chirp 2nd again, however the clutch feel is lighter, probably due to the new parts and fresh lube.

Anyway, just saying it's probably the throwout bearing thats causing the change in feel.
Is there any way I can find out that its the throwout baring. Starting to think it is not the clutch
Old 11-14-2015, 12:35 AM   #14
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,819 Times in 16,427 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Thank you every one for the replies. Been super helpful. Dumb question- Im new to the forum How do I thank people or tag them lol?

I Took my car to Subaru of morristown and one of their guys went with me in the car and test drove it. He said the clutch felt fine, and that it wasn't slipping. They also checked my Clutch fluid and the fluid was fine. It wasn't low.

I Also found out that my clutch is actually covered aong with my warrenty so that got me kinda feeling better . I suspect it may be the Throwout Bearings?

Some Subaru representative is going to come by Dec 12th and drive my car. unfortunately the guys that were there haven't really driven a BRz so they couldn't tell if it lost power or not.
Good you got it checked out at the dealer. That dealership must not sell many BRZs ....... if no one there had ever driven one.

Although the clutch fluid level is up to full ...... there could still be air in the lines ..... that could give it a spongy feel.

I don't believe your perceived "loss of power" has anything to do with the clutch. Are you still using premium (high test) gasoline .... ??

I don't think a bad throw out bearing would be contributing to a soft clutch pedal or any loss of power.

However, it should hold together until the expert checks it out next month.

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clutch adjustment, no worries, transmission