follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 01-11-2020, 03:56 AM   #1
durtdonthurt

Drives: White series.blue / CWP tS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Value for Edelbrock SC series.blue

Please let me know if this is the incorrect place to post this...

Hey guys selling my salvaged title Edelbrock SC series.blue CWP BRZ but didn't know where to post for getting help for a fair number. Original Owner, 29,000 miles, all stock other than Pro tuned Edelbrock SC installed at 27,000 miles. Damage was mainly cosmetic (front bumper - paint stressed, dented hood, windshield, airbag) No structural damage at all. Replaced bumper, hood and airbag with OEM parts. Shouldn't have been totaled but I fought insurance for a long time because they didn't want to pay me diminished value so I had to get them to total it.

Anyway, what would be a fair price? I considered returning it to stock and selling the Edelbrock SC separately but don't want to waste my labor and pro tune if someone is looking for it.

Thoughts?

Thanks for your input!
durtdonthurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 07:36 AM   #2
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
What's a salvage title car worth? 11-12k with that mileage maybe? The supercharger doesnt add a ton of value, and being a series.blue helps, but it's still a salvage title.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 10:07 AM   #3
pogofx

Drives: 2018 BRZ Limited
This may not help, but one of the real issues with selling a salvage title or a dealer buyback title (aka lemon law) is not the car itself, but the fact that most banks won't loan money on them. That instantly eliminates a large portion of potential buyers.

I ran into this when I sold a Mini Cooper that had been lemon lawed. I got a good deal on it. It was flawless with tons of options. It had been lemon lawed by the first owner for a check engine light that ended up being a bad spark plug. Mini Cooper fixed it, warrantied it and sold it at auction to a small used car dealer. I eventually ended up with it and it ran perfectly for a couple of years. I sold it when I got the BRZ and was able to put a low price on it since I got such a good deal. I had a lot of people want to buy it, but without financing, none could. I eventually sold it for around 10,000 and ended up financing it for the individual (I have direct withdrawal for the payment from their paycheck). I never realized how difficult it was going to be to sell that car just because it said "Dealer Buyback" in small writing on the corner of the title. The car was perfect.
pogofx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pogofx For This Useful Post:
Lantanafrs2 (06-29-2020)
Old 01-11-2020, 02:29 PM   #4
durtdonthurt

Drives: White series.blue / CWP tS
Thanks for the input. The car is immaculate and probably nicer than most 2015's out there actually. I installed the SC and had it pro tuned just 2000 miles before the accident. I have pics of the damage and there is no structural at all as it was involved in a vehicle vs pedestrian trying to cross the highway. The only reason for it being totaled was because I had to fight them for the value for so long and they weren't going to pay me diminished value if I were to have them fix it. So unfortunately I had to go this route. I am the original owner so hopefully that will help if I can show all of that? Here are some pics...

Name:  resize 1.jpg
Views: 794
Size:  400.2 KB

Name:  resize 2.jpg
Views: 814
Size:  410.9 KB

Name:  resize 3.jpg
Views: 809
Size:  427.9 KB

Name:  resize 4.jpg
Views: 795
Size:  546.9 KB

Name:  resize 5.jpg
Views: 787
Size:  391.9 KB
durtdonthurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 09:11 PM   #5
xwd

Drives: 2013 DGM Subaru BRZ (Subie #9)
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
There is plenty of info out there on how much of a hit you take on a salvage title car. I would say even in really good condition it's going to be 25% less than a non-salvage car. The supercharger unfortunately doesn't really add much value unless you can find the right buyer. I'd just list the thing for sale for what you think it's worth and see if you can hit that number.
xwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 09:39 PM   #6
Kiske

Drives: RX-7 / BRZ
Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,081 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Clean titled, non wrecked Series.Blue and Series.HyperBlue seem to hover around +/-18k(>50k mile car.) Cheapest one around me is 16k with 3 owner, an accident reported and 60k on the ODO. Given the FRS's are even lower in cost (around 14k) I would venture to put 14K as asking price and see what you get. I would only expect 11-12k unless you found that one perfect buyer whom is specifically targeting the car, though you might be sitting on it for a long time.

Your better of reverting back to stock as at best the S/C's might bring you an extra $500 to the sale, where as sold outright you could probably get around $3400 without lowering the price of the car.

Also a fun note, a '14 BRZ Limited with >20k miles on it is only valued at $12,350 at my local dealer (trading up value.) FML
Old 01-19-2020, 08:46 AM   #7
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
It's on Facebook for 22k?
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 09:49 AM   #8
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
How was the damage caused? Rear end somebody? Low speed contact? Hit a fixed object?
Old 01-20-2020, 11:16 AM   #9
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,804 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
The biggest thing that will sway a potential buyer is someone who wants the Series Blue because anyone can buy the supercharger and get it tuned, but that is a pre-refresh special edition, so I don't know if it holds much market value. The supercharger adds value to the right buyer who would want to add that supercharger and who doesn't mind the car being modified by someone else first. Sometimes adding forced induction or other mods reduces the value to potential buyers because they see it as a modified and aggressively driven vehicle. This is why people remove the track tires, brakes and supercharger and convert it to stock then say lightly-used, never-raced, commuted-by-an-old-lady-to-work, stock car for sale, which is annoying.

What you need to do is fully disclose your car's history and present your case. If you say the car is salvaged, but it shouldn't have been then demonstrate that fact. Spend a hundred bucks and have the car appraised or reviewed by an independent company. That report, the pictures of the damage and the repair bill and/or parts bill is your evidence backing up your claim that the car is sound. Even then, that could persuade a buyer who wants to own the car for a long time or forever, but it won't persuade anyone who cares about resale value because, as hard as it is for you to convince a buyer the car is good, it'll be twice as hard for someone who is a second or third owner who is selling after a year or two of ownership.

As it was stated, even if you can demonstrate the car is sound, the market for someone who can spend cash on this car is less than the market for those who could finance a car, and financing a salvaged car means putting down a larger chunk of the value of the car. If the car is worth $20k with a clean title and $15k with a salvage title, but you want $18.5K (for example) because the car is clean to you, plus you want some money for the Edelbrock kit and the Series Blue, so you want to sell it for $22k then here is the problem:

--Maybe the bank normally wants 20% down to cover the cost of the car if the buyer defaults, and they need to sell the car quickly for a loss on its value.
--But now the salvage title means they want 40% down to cover the cost of the car if the buyer defaults.
--They value the supercharger at $0.00, or at best, 1/4 the retail cost of the parts.
--They value the series blue at $0.00 because they aren't savvy about special editions.
--They value the car at $15k, and they want 40% of the value as "insurance" in case the buyer defaults, so they will only lend out $9k because $9k is a quick sale to them--not $11k, not $13k and not $15k.
--But you want $22k, so that means a buyer needs to pay you $13k in cash.

See the financing problem and buyer problem? Can you imagine a lot of buyers wanting to spend $13k in cash as down payment on a salvage car? Using the 20% rule, they could put $13k as a deposit to finance a $65k car or less, so they aren't hurting for opportunities to get into a car.

I would consider selling the Edelbrock kit for cash. I would get the car appraised for the soundness of the car (is the frame straight, car in alignment, engine sound, etc). I would present everything in full disclosure: damage to the car with pictures and the cost of the repairs/parts. Then I would price the car at a discount because that is what salvage car buyers look for--a deal. I would take a loss on the car and move on. Depending on how fast you need or want to sell the car will greatly change the price too unless you are lucky.
sftateofmind (02-21-2020), Tcoat (01-20-2020)
Old 01-20-2020, 12:15 PM   #10
davesrave

Drives: 2014 Boxster S; 2015 Macan S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by durtdonthurt View Post
Please let me know if this is the incorrect place to post this...

Hey guys selling my salvaged title Edelbrock SC series.blue CWP BRZ but didn't know where to post for getting help for a fair number. Original Owner, 29,000 miles, all stock other than Pro tuned Edelbrock SC installed at 27,000 miles. Damage was mainly cosmetic (front bumper - paint stressed, dented hood, windshield, airbag) No structural damage at all. Replaced bumper, hood and airbag with OEM parts. Shouldn't have been totaled but I fought insurance for a long time because they didn't want to pay me diminished value so I had to get them to total it.

Anyway, what would be a fair price? I considered returning it to stock and selling the Edelbrock SC separately but don't want to waste my labor and pro tune if someone is looking for it.

Thoughts?

Thanks for your input!
Just curious. Why are you selling it?
davesrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 06:02 PM   #11
sftateofmind
Evening Primrose

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
What insurance companies are ya'll signed up with so I make sure never to go with them. I keep seeing people make post about their titles being salvaged & the damage does not add up.

My wreck included my engine dying, airbags being deployed, both doors being repaired, all my wheels being re done and a shit ton of paint. No salvage title. I'm so confused.
sftateofmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 07:50 PM   #12
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sftateofmind View Post
What insurance companies are ya'll signed up with so I make sure never to go with them. I keep seeing people make post about their titles being salvaged & the damage does not add up.

My wreck included my engine dying, airbags being deployed, both doors being repaired, all my wheels being re done and a shit ton of paint. No salvage title. I'm so confused.
Cost must not have hit the total threshold.
why? (02-22-2020)
Old 06-29-2020, 03:28 PM   #13
sftateofmind
Evening Primrose

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
The likely scenario but I’m curious why others is so low. The damage I’m seeing some folks endure & get a salvage title is low imo.
sftateofmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 04:38 PM   #14
Ernest72

Drives: 16 Silver BRZ, 04 Silver WRX wagon
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Keep it or give it away at a deal unless you find that right buyer.

No salvage for me unless it was a track toy build, then I would consider. Most just don’t want to deal with it.

Good luck.
Ernest72 is offline   Reply With Quote