follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 02-14-2020, 07:26 PM   #1
Adrhe

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Subaru BRZ 2018 "Check SRS Airbag System" bypass

Hi, I was wondering if anyone knows how to bypass the "Check SRS Airbag System" on a Subaru BRZ 2018.

Here's some context to my question.
Recently I bought a 2018 BRZ from Copart with the steering wheel airbag deployed. Whenever I turn on the car the warning message "Check SRS Airbag System" appears. The airbag message goes away when you press the back button on the steering wheel, but comes back after a while of idle. This makes the instrument cluster display useless because the message blocks any other information such as engine temperature. I don't mind having the red airbag light on, but I do mind having the "Check SRS Airbag System" message appearing every 5 seconds after pressing the back button. Is there any thing I can do to hide/disable the message without having to fix the airbag system.
In addition, if there's no way to bypass or hide the airbag message like putting a resistor/short on the airbag module to trick the computer to think the airbag has been fix? I read that even after replacing airbag modules and sensors you need to erase the data crash on the computer. If that's the case can I buy a ABS/SRS scanner that can erase or hide the crash data. I'm trying to save the most I can without having to buy the airbag/ modules/ sensors.

Any idea or suggestion is greatly appreciated.
Attached Images

Adrhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 08:14 PM   #2
Grady

Drives: BRZ Yellow, 2019 Ranger, 2011 Evora
Thanked 1,475 Times in 771 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Sorry man but buy an airbag. If is a track toy and you have good harness and seat then ok. but if you are driving on public roads.... Put the airbag back in!
Grady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 10:46 AM   #3
Opie

Drives: '13 BRZ TLM Spec
Thanked 2,323 Times in 1,000 Posts
Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Garage
PM incoming
Old 02-19-2020, 06:26 PM   #4
RustyS14

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
You'll have to reset the airbag module to clear the code, the easiest way is to send it out to be reprogrammed. I've always used Safety Restore since they have a quick turnaround and only charge $50 bucks, but there are a few companies that can do it for you. https://www.safetyrestore.com/7-airb...-reset-service

You'll obviously have to either replace the airbag or wire in a resistor in addition to resetting the module to clear the code. You also might have to replace the seat belts or rebuild the SRS portion of them. A lot of times if one of the airbags has deployed the belts will create a code even if they haven't "locked" but sometimes you get lucky and haven't been triggered.
RustyS14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RustyS14 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (02-19-2020)

Tags
airbag, srs