follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 08-18-2018, 10:45 AM   #29
wild03

Drives: Silver 2017 Limited with PP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquachulator View Post
I honestly do not like the 3 blink flasher.

Sometimes Im a slow merger and the flashing just ends before im done merging....and sometimes I need to merge more than one lane and I have to flick it like 3 times.
My old corolla didn't have it, you flick the stalk for the signals, and flicked it up to cancel.

My Honda Fit sort of had it, but you held the stock dow
n for as long as you needed then let go.

My X1 has the 3 blink flasher, it is as advertised. BUT the other somewhat annoying quirk with these BMW's is that the stalk ALWAYS retracts to the neutral position. With the 3 blink flasher you push the stalk and let go. With a regular signal you feel the "click" and let go. So if I wanted to cancel a signal I almost always end up signalling the other way because of the 3 blink flasher.....

Honestly if you go from a car with none of these "luxury" stuff and then you get into a car with these luxury stuff...you kind of realize some of this stuff is unnecessary. Of course you get used to it but I yearn for the simpler stuff sometimes.

Maybe I'm mistaken but how is having the feature an inconvenience in your case?

for example, the common behavior I've seen on cars without it is:
1: move the switch up or down and hold before it locks. constant Blink.
2: move the switch up or down and let go before it locks: 1 blink or half a blink.
3: move the switch up or down until it locks: constant blink until steering wheel unlocks it or driver unlocks it.

The feature allows step two to blink 3 times.

If you do not want to use the feature, you just do not do step 2. a step that to me is useless on cars without this feature anyways.

I don't see how the feature is inconvenient to have in the scenario you described because in cars without the feature you would have to lock or hold the switch to get more blinks, and you just need to do the same in cars with the feature.

am I missing something? In other words, in my limited experiences the feature replaces s mode (flick) that I would never use otherwise, it does not affect the other modes.
wild03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 10:59 AM   #30
wild03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbowned View Post
Congrats and welcome! You got a great deal; I think I paid about $1,500 more and I thought I was getting a great deal! I did opt to pay $500 more to swap in the color BRZ I wanted, though. Get rid of those crappy OE tires right away and get some proper rubber!

As for the flasher, get the basic TapTurn on ft86speedfactory
Thanks, This one too is $60. Hmmm. Seems a little expensive, for a few electronic components...I'm curious of what it would take to accomplish this...In my amateur view, there should be voltage available to feed the light circuit, so tap that to feed a timer that controls a switch that triggers the relay. timer runs as long as there is signal from the switch.
Old 08-18-2018, 11:26 AM   #31
DrButtDrugs
yerp

Drives: 2015 WRX
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wild03 View Post
Thanks, This one too is $60. Hmmm. Seems a little expensive, for a few electronic components...I'm curious of what it would take to accomplish this...In my amateur view, there should be voltage available to feed the light circuit, so tap that to feed a timer that controls a switch that triggers the relay. timer runs as long as there is signal from the switch.
Would it cost more than $60 of your time to research, breadboard, test, design, build, and package your own tapturn module?
DrButtDrugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 12:45 PM   #32
Swabodda
Magnificent Bastard

Drives: '18 WRB BRZ tS 15/500 - 2013 Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquachulator View Post
I honestly do not like the 3 blink flasher.

Sometimes Im a slow merger and the flashing just ends before im done merging....and sometimes I need to merge more than one lane and I have to flick it like 3 times.

My old corolla didn't have it, you flick the stalk for the signals, and flicked it up to cancel.

My Honda Fit sort of had it, but you held the stock down for as long as you needed then let go.

My X1 has the 3 blink flasher, it is as advertised. BUT the other somewhat annoying quirk with these BMW's is that the stalk ALWAYS retracts to the neutral position. With the 3 blink flasher you push the stalk and let go. With a regular signal you feel the "click" and let go. So if I wanted to cancel a signal I almost always end up signalling the other way because of the 3 blink flasher.....

Honestly if you go from a car with none of these "luxury" stuff and then you get into a car with these luxury stuff...you kind of realize some of this stuff is unnecessary. Of course you get used to it but I yearn for the simpler stuff sometimes.
Cool, I had heard stories about newer BMWs having factory installed signals. All the BMW drivers around here must be in MY2016 and older.
Swabodda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 10:47 PM   #33
wild03

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrButtDrugs View Post
Would it cost more than $60 of your time to research, breadboard, test, design, build, and package your own tapturn module?
I wasn't talking about commercializing it, would be fast prototyping and for someone with an electronic background this would be a no brainier. Small board with wires that plugs between the plug and the factory relay.

Sometimes is fun to rig things.
Old 08-20-2018, 09:19 PM   #34
steel86gt

Drives: 2018 Steel Toyota 86 GT Black
Quote:
Thanks everyone, I pulled the trigger on the silver, I didn't hear back from the red car after they declined to lower the price.

I did managed them to drop the price by $200.

So it was $23,816 + $1300 fee and transfer, + $1507 tax, + $170 ($100 tag) misc fees = $26,800 out the door.

Car had 16 miles on ODO, drove it for a bit and i was sold,
Has performance package, homelink and mirror dimming, and wheel locks.
That's all I remember from the paper. I left the car at dealer until i get a ride there in a day or so.

Just to clarify, On the initial quote, salesman had $200 for the tag. on the final paperwork it lists $100. I had a Tag in the DMV from previous vehicle, so it actually costs them $100 less than original quote, Still $3300 less than invoice as per Edmunds. So i'm not complaining.
Is that for a manual or automatic trans?
steel86gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 10:21 PM   #35
NCtoBRZ

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ PP WRB
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel86gt View Post
Is that for a manual or automatic trans?
Well... it has the performance package, so it has to be a manual.
NCtoBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 06:17 PM   #36
MGPAX
Still 17!

Drives: 2014 Silver BRZ Limited
This gives me hope. I'm going to look at a new 2017 with PP and package #2 for 26K out the door. It all hinges on how much they give me for my 2014 with AT and the Weir built 4.88 rear end and Enkei 16" RPF1s. (and many other upgrades.)
I can't even decide if I want to lose my perfect car just to get an updated version and a maual. :/
I hope I don't miss the rear end torque and tinted mirrors and Whiteline rear sway too much!!
Pax
Old 09-07-2018, 06:24 PM   #37
wild03

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGPAX View Post
This gives me hope. I'm going to look at a new 2017 with PP and package #2 for 26K out the door. It all hinges on how much they give me for my 2014 with AT and the Weir built 4.88 rear end and Enkei 16" RPF1s. (and many other upgrades.)
I can't even decide if I want to lose my perfect car just to get an updated version and a maual. :/
I hope I don't miss the rear end torque and tinted mirrors and Whiteline rear sway too much!!
Pax
Can you revert to stock? I don't think the dealer cares about the upgrades.
Are those parts compatible with the 2017? maybe you can keep the parts and transfer to new car.

What does KBB says your car costs?

I was at the dealer yesterday and they had a 2017 on the lot. same as mine but different color. these car don;t seem to be selling in my area with the 2019 about to roll in. they had 2019 of other models already.
Old 09-07-2018, 06:28 PM   #38
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT, 2017 BMW X1
Thanked 2,223 Times in 1,205 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Maybe I'm mistaken but how is having the feature an inconvenience in your case?

for example, the common behavior I've seen on cars without it is:
1: move the switch up or down and hold before it locks. constant Blink.
2: move the switch up or down and let go before it locks: 1 blink or half a blink.
3: move the switch up or down until it locks: constant blink until steering wheel unlocks it or driver unlocks it.

The feature allows step two to blink 3 times.

If you do not want to use the feature, you just do not do step 2. a step that to me is useless on cars without this feature anyways.

I don't see how the feature is inconvenient to have in the scenario you described because in cars without the feature you would have to lock or hold the switch to get more blinks, and you just need to do the same in cars with the feature.

am I missing something? In other words, in my limited experiences the feature replaces s mode (flick) that I would never use otherwise, it does not affect the other modes.
Its just the behaviour of the stalk that I needed to get used to.
In BMW and I think all other luxury cars, the stalk just goes back to the neutral position regardless of what you do. Push it before the click to get the 3 blinks, goes back to neutral position when you let go. Push it after the click, still goes back to neutral position when you let go (the blinks stop after you make the turn)
In a non luxo car, you push it before the click, it'll go back to neutral after you let go. Push it after the click, it'll stay there when you let go. it'll cancel after you make the turn or push it back to neutral position.
Sasquachulator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sasquachulator For This Useful Post:
wild03 (09-07-2018)
Old 09-07-2018, 06:37 PM   #39
MGPAX
Still 17!

Drives: 2014 Silver BRZ Limited
I plan to pull every mod I can including the OFT tune before taking possession of the car. I sold the original wheels tho..and they won't fit over the PP Clampers. And the 4.88 would be too much for the rear end of a manual I think.

Quote:
Can you revert to stock? I don't think the dealer cares about the upgrades.
Are those parts compatible with the 2017? maybe you can keep the parts and transfer to new car.

What does KBB says your car costs?

I was at the dealer yesterday and they had a 2017 on the lot. same as mine but different color. these car don;t seem to be selling in my area with the 2019 about to roll in. they had 2019 of other models already.
Old 09-12-2018, 10:53 AM   #40
wild03

Received a note in the mail that my tag is ready for pickup at the dealer... ???
I thought it would ship to home from DMV and "get this" there's a $42 due.
Note lists a series of things that could cause this extra charge, wrong weight, 15 month sticker due to DoB...etc.
I thought the final price included tag. plus they had the advantage that it wasn't a new tag, they took advantage that i had a tag on hold at the DMV already. Hmmm.

My temp tag expires tomorrow. still waiting on salesman to call me about the metal key they owe me. and i'll pick both up tag and key in one drive.

Dealers never cease to amaze me. :o
The Following User Says Thank You to wild03 For This Useful Post:
carsebuco (09-12-2018)
Old 09-20-2018, 08:56 PM   #41
wild03

Had an interesting time at the dealer today, They had the metal key, FINALLY. salesman (who was not there today) told me he couldn't get fee waived, So i talked to manager and finance guy and manager thought that the tag was renewed till 12/2019, but when he saw it was not, he brought finance guy in. They told me that they couldn't control dmv, that my tag was expired. and that the allocated $100 they set aside to cover the cost of the tag didn't cover all the fees.
On my previous new vehicle purchase the dealer allocated $123 and that covered everything.
Why didn't they disclosed this at purchase time. The initial quote they gave me said tag included and they allocated $200. but when i made an offer for $200 less, they agreed and dropped $100 from the car and $100 from the tag allocation.

I call bullshit unless I'm missing something here.
Again my argument is that since they dealt in out-the-door price with all fees included that they should account for any extra fees, Or ask about tag to determine cost.

Anyways, While i was looking for email with original quote that clearly shows $200 for tag fees, the manager said that i got the car for a good price, bla..then asked me if in a firm tone "besides this issue was your experience good?" then i mention the key and my 2 trips "the key has been resolved...besides this issue was your experience good?" then i mentioned a scratch that they didn't resolve either..."mr...follow me" and he with the stroke of a pen made the charge go away and i was done.
Old 09-20-2018, 09:29 PM   #42
Venom86

Drives: Toyota 86 (AT
2017 86 cheaper and different rear spoiler than the brz. The body like front bumper is also different, so it’s truly up to you as far as looks and the audio add ons
Venom86 is offline   Reply With Quote