follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 03-16-2014, 10:31 PM   #337
leapoffaith_initial-d_frs

Drives: Scion frs raven black
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Needs a new low center custom high performance sport 4age

Sent from my SPH-M950 using Tapatalk
leapoffaith_initial-d_frs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 10:37 PM   #338
daiheadjai

Drives: 2003 S2000, 2008 Fit
Thanked 1,154 Times in 688 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by regal View Post
I pointed this out too.

It deeper than that INHO. I love the factor stock car as is too, today, this moment in time. But I truly believe there is truly something wrong with the FA20. When chevy's cheapest car (sonic) makes more torque at 1.6L than the 2.0 L FA20 something is wrong. When a Korean 4 cylinder Genesis coupe has 80% more torque, something ain't right.

This has nothing to do with being the fastist kid on the block. There isn't a turbo on the factory FA20 IMHO because there is something terribly wrong with D4-S + boxer combo. The engineers knew it. Subara said this platform would debut at 300 hp, well the engine just about did in a forester without D4-s but rather with Subaru DI. Being rated a don't buy from Consumer Reports is a big deal. When I bought this "Toyota" I thought 200k miles was a shoe-in. Now a repair that costs more than KBB looks inevitable before 100k.

Bullet proof reliability is what made Toyota overtake the mighty GM.. Smart low-mid income people save $'s until their 30's for a Toyota down payment because they want a car that never needs an engine or tranny. Then they drive it till they retire.

I hope we have that kind of reliability with the FR-S but it just don't look that way. I really hope I'm wrong.
You do realize the Sonic and Genesis coupe are both turbo cars right?
You do realize that turbo and supercharger applications basically deliver the same effects as increasing the displacement of an engine?
daiheadjai is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to daiheadjai For This Useful Post:
Pseud0logik (04-30-2014)
Old 03-17-2014, 03:00 AM   #339
regal

Drives: Scion FR-S/Toyota Yaris
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by daiheadjai View Post
You do realize the Sonic and Genesis coupe are both turbo cars right?
You do realize that turbo and supercharger applications basically deliver the same effects as increasing the displacement of an engine?

You didn't read my post do I have to repeat it ? I will.

Mods:
Clear fender side lights
Tactrix ZA1JB01C 2014 Calib
regal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 09:21 AM   #340
Vides990

Drives: 13 BRZ (sold) 20 BRZ TS (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodyo View Post
Thanks for the reply, and I did read your post. I've been on the forum for a while and I've read just about every failure thread as the "warranty" section is my favorite section.

It's hard for me personally to judge based on forum posts what issues will actually crop up for the majority of users. I hope you are wrong about the engine life of this car. However, I plan to engine swap and go dedicated track/speed machine if it does crap out in 5 years.
He is, him and whitigir (who doesnt even have one) bash the crap out of this car and spread overreactions/false information. The car is strong and there are considerably more cars that are 100% fine (other then the crickets) than the cars that are failing. Those two posters are best put on ignore, no clue what they're talking about.
Vides990 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vides990 For This Useful Post:
kodyo (03-17-2014)
Old 03-17-2014, 10:14 AM   #341
Mikem53

Drives: FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
First read ny last post, the we have define reliable. For a Toyoa it generally means the engine outlasts the sheet metal (rust.). But with this car we aren't even out of the bumper to bumper warranty and we have rod bearing, camshaft, rocker, di seal failures all reported failure at a moderately high frequency for a small membership car forum. add to that oil packs, overheating, head gaskets, Subaru's track records with WRX and STi'sand finally Consumer Reports says not to buy the car.

I just guessing this is about a 100k mile engine before it has to be oulled to fix something (back before they fixed the immediate di failures I was saying 30k mile -recall.) Oh I hope I am wrong. 'Cause I love this car and want to mod the heck out of it in 2018.
Regalnoia at its best.. You're comments about fa20 engine failures vs Toyota engines is so idiotic and pointless.. It's F-ing ridiculous..
How many people buy a corolla or a Camry to take to the track or use as a drift car? How many owners wind up their corollas and drop the clutch at stop lights?
You keep calling this engine "fragile" , torqueless... Etc.. Yet 100hp per L is nothing to complain about.. It lacks torque.. Just like you would expect a lightweight high revving roadster to be equipped. Yet most of the tq is available way down low and is very useable in the real world.. Allowing this car to get great mileage in the city and hwy when being driven as a commuter car.. Yet you can run it on the back roads and twisties all day long with adequate power and still get good mileage. Not much to complain about here..
You keep saying this engine is fragile and so many failures.. How many failures.. In the tens.. ? Maybe a hundred or so.. Most of them from abuse, bad tunes, track warriors.. The percentage seems to be very low for engine failures.. Some problems exist as in any new engine offering.. Many threads about failures on here are all over the place from the same people.. Self induced, most of them.. From bad mods or abuse. There just aren't that many on here like you would like us to believe.. Nor is your comparisons to other subies or toyota engines.
You have complained about gas mileage, power, reliability, the demise of scion, subarus engines, rattles... Just about everything that has to do with this car..
I think you bought the wrong car and just won't admit it.. So you blame the car, the designers,DI, Toyota, subaru and just about everything else related to this car..
It's really kinda funny to read such negative posts about a very affordable, extremely capable, great looking entry level sports car..
People on here running 400+ HP on a stock block with 12.5:1 CR, FI and all and not having any issues with their "fragile" FA20 setup..
Sell your car and buy a corolla.. Then maybe you will have something nice to say..
Mikem53 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mikem53 For This Useful Post:
Evil Jesus (03-17-2014), Pseud0logik (04-30-2014), raven1231 (03-17-2014), SuperDave (03-23-2014)
Old 03-17-2014, 10:28 AM   #342
BadRix

Drives: GT86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad86 View Post
Thanks! Beautiful. Does the drink holder fit underneath?
Yes, it does
BadRix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 10:36 AM   #343
Mikem53

Drives: FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tromatic
What's wrong with the current car? I have never seen a group of owners, of anything, so dissatisfied with something they own. It must suck to go for a drive and grind your teeth the whole way thinking of all the faults.

I pointed this out too.

OMG.. You pointed this out too! That's ripe..
Mikem53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 04:09 PM   #344
markitect

Drives: Scion FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I love my car, but if they improve it, someone else will when I upgrade.
markitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 04:33 PM   #345
thill

Drives: 2020 SS1LE (previous 13 BRZ owner)
Thanked 1,463 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
I pointed this out too.

It deeper than that INHO. I love the factor stock car as is too, today, this moment in time. But I truly believe there is truly something wrong with the FA20. When chevy's cheapest car (sonic) makes more torque at 1.6L than the 2.0 L FA20 something is wrong. When a Korean 4 cylinder Genesis coupe has 80% more torque, something ain't right.

This has nothing to do with being the fastist kid on the block. There isn't a turbo on the factory FA20 IMHO because there is something terribly wrong with D4-S + boxer combo. The engineers knew it. Subara said this platform would debut at 300 hp, well the engine just about did in a forester without D4-s but rather with Subaru DI. Being rated a don't buy from Consumer Reports is a big deal. When I bought this "Toyota" I thought 200k miles was a shoe-in. Now a repair that costs more than KBB looks inevitable before 100k.

Bullet proof reliability is what made Toyota overtake the mighty GM.. Smart low-mid income people save $'s until their 30's for a Toyota down payment because they want a car that never needs an engine or tranny. Then they drive it till they retire.

I hope we have that kind of reliability with the FR-S but it just don't look that way. I really hope I'm wrong.
Please sell your car and buy a Corolla.
thill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 04:40 PM   #346
Shawnofthedead

Drives: Black on black with so much class
At the end of the day I'd rather put forth the effort and hardwork in the car myself. If toyota would like to release a turbo sti package or trd supercharger to uphold the warrenty that would be greatly appreciated. First I must make a note to novice drivers purchasing this car or better yet waiting for a boosted option FIRST and foremost learn to drive this car at its current potential without traction control on this will teach you how to save your car instinctually. It's the same as any motor function with time and practice you'll become a better driver. Rear wheel drive car with FI are very tricky do the basics first wheels,tires, suspension than go from there.
Shawnofthedead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 04:41 PM   #347
tripjammer

Drives: WRB BRZ limited 6MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Come on people they have a perfectly good engine. The turbo 2.0 liter engine in the new 2015 WRX. Put that engine in the 2015 FR-s/BRZ as the base engine and call it a day.
tripjammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 04:44 PM   #348
[|=(86)=|]

Drives: 86
Quote:
I pointed this out too.

Maybe this is off-topic, but if I'm correct, both Sonic and GC inline 4 is turbo. Maybe that's why it has more tq than FR-S
[|=(86)=|] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 05:04 PM   #349
Vides990

Drives: 13 BRZ (sold) 20 BRZ TS (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripjammer View Post
Come on people they have a perfectly good engine. The turbo 2.0 liter engine in the new 2015 WRX. Put that engine in the 2015 FR-s/BRZ as the base engine and call it a day.
bottom mounted turbo doesnt fit........................how many times do people have to say it.
Vides990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 05:48 PM   #350
chrisl

Drives: 2006 Cayman S, 2007 Outback 2.5i
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
To paraphrase this in a way that might show you how ridiculous of a complaint this really is...

Quote:
I truly believe there is something wrong with the engine out of the Ferrari 458. When the smallest V6 you can buy in a Ford truck makes more torque at 3.5L than the 4.5L Ferrari, something is wrong. When a Japanese 6 cylinder GT-R makes 70lb-ft more torque, something ain't right.
Now, clearly, this argument doesn't hold water. Why? Because one of the engines mentioned above was designed to rev freely and produce power at high RPM, while the other two are turbo engines designed to produce boost at low to mid RPM. Of course the turbo engines will make more torque. That doesn't mean there's anything wrong with the high revving naturally aspirated engine though.

(Now, if you can find a similar-displacement, similarly cheap naturally aspirated engine that makes substantially more torque than the FA20, you might have a point. You won't find that though, since it doesn't exist)
chrisl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to chrisl For This Useful Post:
Apoc (03-17-2014), daiheadjai (03-17-2014), Evil Jesus (03-17-2014), JohnJuan (04-30-2014), Pseud0logik (04-30-2014), SuperDave (03-23-2014)