follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 06-18-2014, 03:24 PM   #1
DeLaRage

Drives: 2013 Raven FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
JDL UEL vs OFH

So, I haven't been able to find anything about this on the forums. If I go with the OFH I'll probably do the combo with OFT, but I'm just wondering which is better with the 2. And which would pair best with the nameless catted resonated op/dp? Also I have the greddy evo3.
DeLaRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 04:31 PM   #2
mkivsoopra

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 161 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I had the JDL + Nameless resonated/catted pipe + Milltek non-resonated catback. It was a good combo... Not too loud, not too quiet, and made 207 whp on the dynojet with OFT and E85, among other things.

Can't comment on the OFH though... I don't have any experience with it.
mkivsoopra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 04:38 PM   #3
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

Thanked 4,137 Times in 1,707 Posts
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeLaRage View Post
So, I haven't been able to find anything about this on the forums. If I go with the OFH I'll probably do the combo with OFT, but I'm just wondering which is better with the 2. And which would pair best with the nameless catted resonated op/dp? Also I have the greddy evo3.
With the JDL UEL you'll have better quality materials, better welds, a better designed low-angle merge collector, flex joints for durability, several coating options, and a lifetime warranty. I'm pretty sure you can use the appropriate OFT tunes with the JDL header and it will be fine should you decide to use that tuning option.

The OFH only has a one year warranty and none of the aforementioned features or coating options.

You get what you pay for.

Last edited by ATL BRZ; 06-18-2014 at 04:53 PM.
ATL BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 05:02 PM   #4
FR-S Matt
Banned

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S MT
Thanked 1,771 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL BRZ View Post
With the JDL UEL you'll have better quality materials, better welds, a better designed low-angle merge collector, flex joints for durability, several coating options, and a lifetime warranty. I'm pretty sure you can use the appropriate OFT tunes with the JDL header and it will be fine should you decide to use that tuning option.

The OFH only has a one year warranty and none of the aforementioned features or coating options.

I agree with everything in this post. You truly do get what you pay for. This is the top UEL header.
FR-S Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 08:21 AM   #5
Efferalgan

Drives: Toyota GT 86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
I'm running the UEL JDL + Hameless Combo but will be replacing the latter as it has "0" clearance against the engine block. Also, the header had nearly 0 clearance against the oil pan protective under plate, so I had to "modify" the aluminium plate with a hammer to gain 4-5 mm clearance.

Both are quality made stuff but fitments is far from ideal, at least when they are together. However, given that they both are hand made products, I believe it may vary from one piece to another, so luck is what you need to avoid these problems
Efferalgan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Efferalgan For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (06-21-2014)
Old 06-19-2014, 08:31 AM   #6
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efferalgan View Post
I'm running the UEL JDL + Hameless Combo but will be replacing the latter as it has "0" clearance against the engine block. Also, the header had nearly 0 clearance against the oil pan protective under plate, so I had to "modify" the aluminium plate with a hammer to gain 4-5 mm clearance.

Both are quality made stuff but fitments is far from ideal, at least when they are together. However, given that they both are hand made products, I believe it may vary from one piece to another, so luck is what you need to avoid these problems
Did you buy your JDL header used or new? The skid plate clearance issue was only present in the first few headers they made in the initial group buy last summer. Most of them were warrantied out and replaced by JDL, but maybe some were sold to second hand owners. All headers going forward from that point do not have any clearance issues anywhere as JDL revised their design and jigs.
Old 06-19-2014, 08:44 AM   #7
Efferalgan

Quote:
Did you buy your JDL header used or new? The skid plate clearance issue was only present in the first few headers they made in the initial group buy last summer. Most of them were warrantied out and replaced by JDL, but maybe some were sold to second hand owners. All headers going forward from that point do not have any clearance issues anywhere as JDL revised their design and jigs.
New one made around April 2014 with new flex joints.
Old 06-19-2014, 08:52 AM   #8
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efferalgan View Post
New one made around April 2014 with new flex joints.
That's bizarre. I haven't heard of that clearance issue in a long time. Regardless, you could warranty it.
The Following User Says Thank You to ATL BRZ For This Useful Post:
Efferalgan (06-19-2014)
Old 06-19-2014, 09:34 AM   #9
Efferalgan

Quote:
That's bizarre. I haven't heard of that clearance issue in a long time. Regardless, you could warranty it.
Shipment there and back would cost more than 1/3 of the cost of the unit. Anyway, I don't even consider it as a major problem. Maybe there even was a 1-2 mm clearance which is probably even enough given that the skid plate is mounted with many srews and hardly moves when car in motion but my mechanic suggested to increase it a bit to at least 5mm to be on the safe side. 3 hits with a hammer was enough to make this gap between the lowest point of the header and the skid plate, the bulge is almost unnoticeble. The Nameless FP/OP fitting issue is much more serious issue...
The Following User Says Thank You to Efferalgan For This Useful Post:
ATL BRZ (06-19-2014)
Old 06-21-2014, 08:59 AM   #10
DeLaRage

Drives: 2013 Raven FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:

That's exactly what I was thinking. I probably am going to end up getting the jdl uel, that 1 year warranty was scaring me a bit. then either jdl op and dp or nameless and decide on if ill be tuning with the oft later.
DeLaRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 09:04 AM   #11
ngabdala
Vortech Supercharged

Drives: WRB BRZ 6MT LTD
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I'm running the JDL UEL with their OP and HFC FP. I have it paired with the Perrin 2.5" resonated exhaust. It sounds amazing and the quality is great. My tuner couldn't believe how much more power I was getting after the JDL parts were installed. It truly felt like a whole new animal/car I was driving.

I'm also running the Vortech SC so I can't speak to what it's like on an N/A build. I can tell you that the sound is intoxicating.