follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 03-24-2014, 06:52 AM   #1
modman

Drives: 2013 BRZ - 2009 E90 M3 - 2008 X5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Shop install supercharger - told drop of AM pick up sameday PM - 3 weeks l8r waiting.

Let me start off with this:

Now this is a good shop, fairly reputable and the sales person I have been working with has been really nice.
----

Now I decided to get the jackson kit installed. Was told I would be able to pick it up same day. All day waiting excited , keep bugging them im sure asking for updates and finally they tell me there is an issue. They ECU flash from Jackson is ony compatible with manuals. So they were going to have another shop do the tune, this shop would send them a temporary tune to get the car back to me usable and then fine tune it on dyno in a couple weeks when they could ft me in at this other shop to do the dyno tuning.

I dropped my car on monday afternoon, tuesday is when they told me the issue.. They said as soon as they got the temp tune they would call me and i could pick it up, wed comes around still not ready, thursday, still not ready, friday finally they call me up at end of day and tell me its ready.

I missed the call and asked if it was possible to pick it up saturday , got a maybe , then saturday was told no, something came up the boss had to do some stuff and close up shop...

I rescheduled a trip i had because of this, so I ended up having to go out of town so i couldnt pick it up monday, i dunno i got back thursday. I got to shop all excited, ready to turn it on and oh was so excited. I asked for the keys, 10 minutes later my sales guy says , "the tune has the RPM limiter set to 4500"...
I am like uh wtf?? Why?? For safety reasons.. I was like why did you not tell me this last week?? or anytime between last week and today?? He said he just found out... I took the car for a spin, its not driveable like that and the dyno tune wasnt set for another 2.5 weeks. SO i told them I wanted to leave it there as the car was not driveable , not completed in my opinion.

He tells me ok, let me go talk to his boss. He comes back and says , thats fine but we are going to have to charge you a $150.00 each way to the shop thats doing the dyno...I am like WTF?? $300.00 for total of 40 minutes driving?

I said, fine I will drive it.. But after thinking about it.. This is complete bullsh!t..
They tried to deliver a car to me with an unusable tune, and admitted it was there fault, and that they would take care of it and get it dyno tuned.

Now they want me to pay an additional 300 dollars to drive the car 20 minutes away and 20 minutes back? They said I could drive it, but before i could leave the premise i would have to pay the invoice in full. Why would I pay the invoice in full before the car is done? Why would I risk being liable for a catastrophic failure during the transit to the shop because they put an unusable tune on to it?

With the supercharger and all the other things i have being done to it in the last couple of weeks ive spent between 8-10k, and spent probably another 6k in october.

Since there was downtime and it was just sitting there i decided to get some more stuff done, and after dwelling on it for a few days , i am pretty dam pissed that they wont take responsibility for there screw up and is trying to make me cough up an extra 300 dollars for 40 minutes round trip drive.

What if I was in another state and had my car shipped there?
Ive been in the modding hobby for years, from dsm's, to evos, to bmws. Dealt with tons and tons of shops. I cannot imagine any shop every doing this to me, infact when ive had turbos installed and it needed to be dyno tuned at another shop , i was never expected to drive it there??

What do you guys think I should do, I have about 3-4k worth of additional work im giving them this week, i've asked nicely multiple times to reconsider. They tried to pass off the car to me as completed when it wasn't. The last time I worked with this shop they were great, and sales guy is still a great guy but they need to get there head out of there asses and learn what customer service is and what customer retention is.

Do you guys think I should just cancel all the work i requested this weke prior to get it on to dyno if they wont take it there without raping me 300 dollars?
Oh and did i mention that I cannot drive the car to the dyno shop without paying the rest of the balance even though ive already paid them 2/3 of it.

If i leave, the car blows up from there temp tune, there paid up, im shit out of luck. Am I blowing this out of proportion or not ?
Your advice is appreciated.

P.S. its 5am and havent slept yet so please forgive grammatical errors you grammar police!
modman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 07:10 AM   #2
vgarcin
Swiss Alps Driver

Drives: Toyota gt86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
It just seems that they're delivering what they promised they would deliver; not their fault that the tune you gave them wasn't the correct one to begin with?
vgarcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 07:14 AM   #3
Boofneenee
Go-Kart Enthusiast

Drives: Toyota Scion FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
If u don't mind me asking how much are they charging you for then sc install? For future reference when I get one.
The Following User Says Thank You to Boofneenee For This Useful Post:
germgerm (03-24-2014)
Old 03-24-2014, 08:12 AM   #4
modman

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgarcin View Post
It just seems that they're delivering what they promised they would deliver; not their fault that the tune you gave them wasn't the correct one to begin with?
No, I did not provide them with a tune. They sold me the supercharger with a premade TUNE from the supercharger manufacturer.. They told me they've installed it on other cars and the tune from the manufacturer works great. They never checked to see if the tune provided by the manufacturer they sold me the setup from supported AUTO. So now they have to take it to a shop and have them tune it on a DYNO.

I bought the setup from them and they were supposed to deliver it with a fully functional tune, because the tune from jackson is manual only ... In order to deliver it completed and driveable , they now need to dyno tune it, and want me to pay them 300 dollars to drive it 20 minutes away to the shop to do the dyno. That is beside the fact the most valuable part of this jackson supercharger in my opinion is the tune as they spent many many many months perfecting it, which I doubt i will get the same quality tune from putting the car on a dyno for 15 minutes..
Old 03-24-2014, 08:58 AM   #5
Model Citizen
Lacking brains

Drives: frz
So, they sold you an unusable tune on their advice?
Model Citizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 09:01 AM   #6
modman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model Citizen View Post
So, they sold you an unusable tune on their advice?
Yes, and now they need to take it to another shop to tune it on there dyno and want me to pay them 300 dollars to drive the car and drop it off and pick it up and bring it back to shop when it is done. The other shops like 20 min way.
Old 03-24-2014, 09:07 AM   #7
CajunFRS

Drives: Challenger R/T, CRX SI,
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
If you pay or drive your car to another dyno then that's when I'd cut them off. I'd also dispute what you owe them. Even if its worth heading to small claims court.

If none of that sounds good then suck it up and let them rip you off.
CajunFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 09:32 AM   #8
AdrianG
Generally Well Liked

Drives: '08 STi Hatch, '11 Outback 3.6R
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
It sounds like the $300 transit fee is probably just to cover the dyno time on their end so they'll still make something off doing the job. If you're not happy with them I think the amicable thing to do would be to pay the quoted amount minus a certain amount for the tune that was not delivered, and move forward with finding a tuner yourself.

The person you choose to tune your car is probably going to be the biggest factor in how well your car drives and performs when you get it back.
AdrianG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 01:02 PM   #9
Dynotronics1

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianG View Post
It sounds like the $300 transit fee is probably just to cover the dyno time on their end so they'll still make something off doing the job. If you're not happy with them I think the amicable thing to do would be to pay the quoted amount minus a certain amount for the tune that was not delivered, and move forward with finding a tuner yourself.

The person you choose to tune your car is probably going to be the biggest factor in how well your car drives and performs when you get it back.
find out who the tuner is and give them a call. We have done quite a few sc calibrations remotely without need to set the rev limiter in a "safe" mode.
Dynotronics1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 01:09 PM   #10
modman

Quote:
Originally Posted by modman View Post
Yes, and now they need to take it to another shop to tune it on there dyno and want me to pay them 300 dollars to drive the car and drop it off and pick it up and bring it back to shop when it is done. The other shops like 20 min way.
No, the kit is $4999 if you get it with the tune from Jackson ,
They also sell a version of it for $3999 called a do-it-yourself tune kit.
Since the map from Jackson didn't work we went with the do-it-yourself kit.
But they claim that the tune at the Dino is going to cost of thousand dollars.

Which seems quite expensive for a Dyno tune , but I never questioned it I just wanted to get my car back. So no the $300 is not them charging me to tune the car.
Old 03-24-2014, 01:34 PM   #11
ProTekk

Drives: Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Thousands for a tune? Heh, walk away now.

Sent from my hlte using Tapatalk
ProTekk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 01:57 PM   #12
jupillam

Drives: White out Scion Frs
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by modman View Post
No, the kit is $4999 if you get it with the tune from Jackson ,
They also sell a version of it for $3999 called a do-it-yourself tune kit.
Since the map from Jackson didn't work we went with the do-it-yourself kit.
But they claim that the tune at the Dino is going to cost of thousand dollars.

Which seems quite expensive for a Dyno tune , but I never questioned it I just wanted to get my car back. So no the $300 is not them charging me to tune the car.
1k for an incomplete tune ! this is complete bullshit. (if u were to live here in Socal, i would've just let u borrow my OFT)
Old 03-24-2014, 02:03 PM   #13
pheoxs
Hold my beer n watch this

Drives: '14 Fiesta ST / '91 240sx
Quote:
Originally Posted by jupillam View Post
1k for an incomplete tune ! this is complete bullshit. (if u were to live here in Socal, i would've just let u borrow my OFT)
It's not an incomplete tune though. The tuning shop gave him a base safe tune so that he could get the car to the dyno. They probably put the 4500 rpm limit on so that he wouldn't go blasting around on a base tune that hasn't been adjusted.

If its 300$ Ecutek license (since the DIY kits usually don't come with the license) and 700$ for a full dyno tune, I don't see that has hugely unreasonable. A bit more expensive than other options yes, but not unreal. That's about inline with what local places here charge for dyno tunes.
Old 03-24-2014, 02:08 PM   #14
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer

Drives: 2006 Honda S2000
Thanked 5,759 Times in 3,055 Posts
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Tagged: 10 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to King Tut
I sure hope this isn't IND. I partially blame the OP because he did not do his own research to realize that Jackson Racing does not have an automatic tune:

http://jacksonracing.com/jackson-rac...stem-released/

With that being said I would probably take your car from the shop and no longer do business with them. Try and get as much money as you can back and then get a tune from a vendor on here that sells an automatic JR tune or work with some of the new tuners to help you get a running tune. Make sure you get an EcuTek cable and license dongle out of the shop. Any tuning shop worth anything should have been able to get you a drivable tune in under a day. Then you could fine tune that a later date on the dyno.