follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 06-25-2013, 04:39 PM   #99
usptwins
Toyota Soul

Drives: 96 taco
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Simply put, Toyota has several motors that can handle way more hp more reliably than most domestics. You want lots of power? Swap a 2j. Nissan, want more reliable power, swap an RB25 or 26. You can't need more power than what either of these engines can handle reliably. You want a v8, there's plenty of import engines that can make more reliable power than any given domestic. Truth be told.

I do understand the satisfaction of completing a diff motor swap from another brand, but guess you can call me a "semi-purist" when it comes to imports. I personally would never buy an import and swap a domestic in it. It defeats the purpose of buying the car and vise-versa. I do love the older domestics btwn the 60-70's, and 80's-90's imports in their own way. Both can compete with each other.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:46 PM   #100
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,891 Times in 2,032 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by usptwins View Post
I do get it, i get that people like to fuck vehicles up with interbrand swaps for what point?
If you have to ask what the point is, you definitely do NOT get it.

Quote:
Cuz they have the money to do it?
If I had a shit-ton of money, I'd have a ~2750 lb. 650hp McLaren F1. I do not, so instead I own a ~2850 lb. 525hp FD RX-7 for about 2.5% of the $$$

Quote:
So they can laugh at people that actually would build the car how the aftermarket supplied for it.
The aftermarket supplies parts for a lot of domestic V8 swaps into imports. So my car *is* built based on what the aftermarket has supplied for it.

Quote:
Its stupid and nonsense to be a douche to the actual people who know the car and how to build it for what it was intended for.
Why would anyone build a car to someone else's wants? That's absurd!

My car was certainly not built "to be a douche" to anyone, but if people wanna hate it, I can live with that. If you ask me, the "stupid and nonsense" is on anyone who expects that others should only build up cars exactly as they would.

Quote:
That is why YOU don't get what im saying and why people call cars disgraces's due to the fact of someone putting a ridiculous motor in a physically decent if not perfect car for what reason??
To go fast, reliably, with minimum weight impact, and for minimum $$$.

Quote:
Because they can't afford to mod it with the aftermarket parts that are made specifically for this car?
Again, plenty of aftermarket parts made specifically to swap in domestic V8s.

Quote:
Or because they bought the WRONG car?
The *right* car often has the *wrong* engine in it!

Quote:
If you can afford a motor swap, you can afford to mod the original or updated version of the motor. Peace
Who are you to tell people how they should spend their money? In my case, no way I was sinking money into a rotary build...
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:09 PM   #101
usptwins
Toyota Soul

Thanks for you talking time out your day to try and decay my post. But, just one thing i can tell you is, no one said you had to buy an expensive car... Ha. Its called buy what you want when you can afford it. Thats not so hard right? And there are alot of people that do it because they can afford the cheaper motor sure. Thats what the domestic's are for. If you know your history about jap cars, then you know that they are mostly far more reliable than domestics, and they use what they have to survive. They don't need a BIG domestic V8 because they are more efficient with the smaller motors. I do understand the point of swapping your chevy V8 in anything you can get your hands on because its "cool" or because someone just said it couldn't be done. But in those cases, whats the fucking point? Seriously.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:37 PM   #102
ZDan

Quote:
Thanks for you talking time out your day to try and decay my post. But, just one thing i can tell you is, no one said you had to buy an expensive car... Ha. Its called buy what you want when you can afford it.
Or *build* what you want (also when you can afford to, natch).

Quote:
I do understand the point of swapping your chevy V8 in anything you can get your hands on because its "cool" or because someone just said it couldn't be done. But in those cases, whats the fucking point? Seriously.
The point: Performance/$$$ (reliability at the desired power level is also a factor in many cases)
Old 06-25-2013, 09:07 PM   #103
HunterGreene
Hail Magnet

Drives: Firestorm FR-S: "Artemis"
Thanked 3,195 Times in 1,633 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Thanks for you talking time out your day to try and decay my post. But, just one thing i can tell you is, no one said you had to buy an expensive car... Ha. Its called buy what you want when you can afford it. Thats not so hard right? And there are alot of people that do it because they can afford the cheaper motor sure. Thats what the domestic's are for. If you know your history about jap cars, then you know that they are mostly far more reliable than domestics, and they use what they have to survive. They don't need a BIG domestic V8 because they are more efficient with the smaller motors. I do understand the point of swapping your chevy V8 in anything you can get your hands on because its "cool" or because someone just said it couldn't be done. But in those cases, whats the fucking point? Seriously.
Well, I tried to explain it in a way that you would understand, and even if you did...you obviously still don't get the point.

Do yourself a favor, and unsubscribe from this thread. We aren't going to change your mind, and you are definitely not going to change mine. You successfully trolled this thread from being about something fun and interesting to a debate on the merits of engine swapping in the first place (and, IMO, taking a bit of an overly puritanical view).

I respect your opinion....but as things go, you are in the minority. Take care and drive safe.
HunterGreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:58 PM   #104
usptwins
Toyota Soul

I haven't trolled, i only posted about how confusing swapping a completely diff motor in a vehicle that doesn't come with it in its entire history. Thats not trolling. Thank you.

And im not tryn to change anyones mind. Everyone has their own opinions and niche's. I for one will always wonder why the fuck you would do such a thing. And talk shit about it.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:10 PM   #105
LSxJunkie
Douchebag

Drives: 2014 Mustang GT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
I haven't trolled, i only posted about how confusing swapping a completely diff motor in a vehicle that doesn't come with it in its entire history. Thats not trolling. Thank you.

And im not tryn to change anyones mind. Everyone has their own opinions and niche's. I for one will always wonder why the fuck you would do such a thing. And talk shit about it.
You're always going to talk shit. Isn't that the definition of trolling?

These'll probably give you a coronary.

Last edited by LSxJunkie; 06-25-2013 at 10:37 PM.
LSxJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LSxJunkie For This Useful Post:
HunterGreene (06-25-2013)
Old 06-25-2013, 10:48 PM   #106
Shit Luck

Drives: red frs
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
i started the thread so i am partly responsible for not trying to keep it on target...

I am a purist i guess... not so much on oe engines but on swaps that make sense..
i guess i get the lsx swaps, however i hate them with a passion.
if you are building a pure competition car and need the ls to compete because every other asshole is doing it ok.
however i will always love a properly built swap that doesnt involve an ls no matter what the platform.

And for the love of God leave Rotary cars the fuck alone people!!!!

anyway back to the goofy and confusing swaps.
:happy0180:
Shit Luck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shit Luck For This Useful Post:
usptwins (06-27-2013)
Old 06-26-2013, 03:10 PM   #107
ZDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shit Luck View Post
I am a purist i guess... not so much on oe engines but on swaps that make sense..
i guess i get the lsx swaps, however i hate them with a passion.
The two statements don't add up. LS engine swaps are popular because they *make sense*.

Quote:
if you are building a pure competition car and need the ls to compete because every other asshole is doing it ok.
I compete in time trials, but not against any other LS-swapped cars. And the car is primarily a street car, *far* from a pure competition car.

Quote:
however i will always love a properly built swap that doesnt involve an ls no matter what the platform.
Always hate LS swaps, always love "properly built" swaps? So you would blanketly label any LS swap as "not "properly built"...

Quote:
And for the love of God leave Rotary cars the fuck alone people!!!!
Rotary-powered cars will *always* be prime targets for swaps for many reasons. Short story is that they're great cars with relatively unreliable and short-lived engines. People get tired of rebuilding rotaries after a while!
Old 06-26-2013, 04:55 PM   #108
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDan View Post
The two statements don't add up. LS engine swaps are popular because they *make sense*.

I compete in time trials, but not against any other LS-swapped cars. And the car is primarily a street car, *far* from a pure competition car.

Always hate LS swaps, always love "properly built" swaps? So you would blanketly label any LS swap as "not "properly built"...

Rotary-powered cars will *always* be prime targets for swaps for many reasons. Short story is that they're great cars with relatively unreliable and short-lived engines. People get tired of rebuilding rotaries after a while!
After many OHV vs DOHC debates, we seem to have found common ground in the fact that magical fairy triangles belong in no car.

*Internet high-five*

Heh...

Because titanium.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:55 PM   #109
Shit Luck

If you put an ls in a 240, supra,or any other car where there is motor available and proven then it makes no sense other than pure lazyness.
don't give me the cheaper argument either, till you count in fan work, engine management, and the drive line mods you could have built a reliable and powerful oem motor.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:32 PM   #110
ZDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shit Luck View Post
If you put an ls in a 240, supra,or any other car where there is motor available and proven then it makes no sense other than pure lazyness.
That's hilarious! People go to GREAT effort and do a tremendous amount of work, out of *laziness*!

Quote:
don't give me the cheaper argument either, till you count in fan work, engine management, and the drive line mods you could have built a reliable and powerful oem motor.
Not too many people who have done these swaps would argue that it's CHEAP, either!

In the specific case of the rotary, there's no such thing as reliable, as far as I can tell. I met the highly respected author of a very detailed and extensive recipe for building a relatively modest *reliable* rotary turbo (~350 whp or so) at an event, and his had low compression on one rotor and was down ~50 or so whp. And he wasn't surprised at all. If you're running a rotary hard with any frequency, you're pulling it out and rebuilding regularly.

So, yeah, I guess I am "cheap" and "lazy" after all...
Old 06-26-2013, 06:56 PM   #111
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSxJunkie View Post
You're always going to talk shit. Isn't that the definition of trolling?

These'll probably give you a coronary.

Unholy mother of Satan, that LSx and Supra look like they were designed together. You can tell the potential handling just by looking at how far back the (aluminium vs iron) engine sits from the shock towers. Not even counting the Supra's ability to put down power coupled with the response of a large displacement NA V8...

Must say I'm pretty speechless.

Because titanium.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:08 PM   #112
Shit Luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDan View Post
That's hilarious! People go to GREAT effort and do a tremendous amount of work, out of *laziness*!

Not too many people who have done these swaps would argue that it's CHEAP, either!

In the specific case of the rotary, there's no such thing as reliable, as far as I can tell. I met the highly respected author of a very detailed and extensive recipe for building a relatively modest *reliable* rotary turbo (~350 whp or so) at an event, and his had low compression on one rotor and was down ~50 or so whp. And he wasn't surprised at all. If you're running a rotary hard with any frequency, you're pulling it out and rebuilding regularly.

So, yeah, I guess I am "cheap" and "lazy" after all...
if you buy a rotary car and then bitch about it being rotary arent you kind of a dumbass for buying it?

if you want a camaro or a corvette go buy one.
if you want a supra with an alloy v8 there are plenty of toyota options.
hell just look at what MA-Motorsports has done with their nissan drift program.