follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 10-28-2014, 09:23 PM   #57
rs999

Drives: VW MK6 GTI | 13 Mustang GT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas BRZ View Post
Gosh, but each one of those aspects about this car is a plus for me and serves a purpose, hence my reason to happily opt for this vehicle... Especially since it places so much importance on the driving experience. Well, that's the way I see it anyway.
10. The difference in acceleration between the accelerator pedal depressed halfway and to the floor is ZERO.

You'll see this in highway passing situations where you downshift 6-5 to get around something and your pedal is down to the floor and the car falls on its face.

Matt Farah has also noted this in his Smoking Tire videos for the FR-S and new FR-S TRD.

2:28 and 2:55 in this video:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PytQuKbITLs"]Scion FRS (GT86) With TRD Accessories - (Track) One Take - YouTube[/ame]
Old 10-28-2014, 09:58 PM   #58
InspGadgt

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S (Asphalt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatrapp_eh View Post
I have a 2015 put gas in it all the time that has ethanol in it without a problem. Anyone have a problem with crickets in a 2015? Just wondering if they have fixed this.
I get them on occasion depending on where I go to get gas. The cheap gas here locally really makes it chirp a lot. Union 76 just a little bit. Chevron, no chirping at all.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 10:12 PM   #59
Texas BRZ
Sports Car = Anti-Drug

Drives: 2014 Honda CBR600RR
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rs999 View Post
10. The difference in acceleration between the accelerator pedal depressed halfway and to the floor is ZERO.

You'll see this in highway passing situations where you downshift 6-5 to get around something and your pedal is down to the floor and the car falls on its face.

Matt Farah has also noted this in his Smoking Tire videos for the FR-S and new FR-S TRD.

2:28 and 2:55 in this video:

It's not fair to put our car in a disadvantage by misplacing and misunderstanding its talents. You're focusing on the lack of power burst when downshifting from 6th to 5th, which is clearly not the importance of this car. You saw in the video which you posted, the SS has more than twice the juice of our car and the FR-S is still doing so well. If Mr. Farah would have shut the damn video and stopped talking while instead purely focusing on driving, he would have surely received a point by.

This is more of a momentum car, you need to understand. The 200 hp engine compliments the car and doesn't dominate it... Which is a very good thing for someone like myself who truly wants to feel like a hero when getting the absolute max out of man & machine's undiluted combined effort and oneness.

Texas BRZ
Texas BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texas BRZ For This Useful Post:
Jond63 (10-29-2014), Tcoat (10-29-2014)
Old 10-28-2014, 10:39 PM   #60
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,522 Times in 18,923 Posts
Mentioned: 1107 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatalelement View Post
Fyi in the door there is a drink holder. It doesn't hold a large fast food soda, but that's probably a good thing. Center drink holder, especially when using cigarette lighter for charger, does indeed require some pretty rough body twisting haha.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
Your username always sounds like a French word in my head.
Old 10-28-2014, 11:47 PM   #61
Teseo

Drives: frs
Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,769 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
No turbo nor awd
No transmission oil cooler for AT
Analog instrument cluster (why toyota did not use it the same as LFA?)
Teseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 12:14 AM   #62
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas BRZ View Post
It's not fair to put our car in a disadvantage by misplacing and misunderstanding its talents. You're focusing on the lack of power burst when downshifting from 6th to 5th, which is clearly not the importance of this car. You saw in the video which you posted, the SS has more than twice the juice of our car and the FR-S is still doing so well. If Mr. Farah would have shut the damn video and stopped talking while instead purely focusing on driving, he would have surely received a point by.

This is more of a momentum car, you need to understand. The 200 hp engine compliments the car and doesn't dominate it... Which is a very good thing for someone like myself who truly wants to feel like a hero when getting the absolute max out of man & machine's undiluted combined effort and oneness.
Honestly, everyone whining about the lack of power should've walked away after the test drive. They bought the wrong car.

NA All Day! Just shut up & drive.
Old 10-29-2014, 12:25 AM   #63
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teseo View Post
No turbo nor awd
No transmission oil cooler for AT
I can't tell if this is sarcasm or just plain trolling but...

No turbo nor awd- make the argument for a drivers car that requires you to go fast without power or awd but driver skill, not to mention it makes the car more fun without awd
No transmission oil cooler for AT- you only need it if your running auto x or constant hard track days in higher temps although having one would help, however it would up the price
LFA cluster- Would shoot the price up of this car and make it unachievable to the main audience
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FRSBRZGT86FAN For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (10-29-2014), VacantSky (10-29-2014)
Old 10-29-2014, 12:58 AM   #64
VacantSky
The Angry Brit

Drives: 1991 E30 318iS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
AWD is damn near impossible in this car. Take a look at how far back the engine sits. Then realize how far forward it would have to go in order for an AWD trans to fit. Then realise that would throw off the balance of the car. Then you've got to think, oh it's a sports car, it only makes sense for it to be RWD. Because that's what it is designed to be, a sports car, a drivers car.

No turbo... do people even do research on this car???!!?? Like, if before my purchase I had no idea what an AE86 was, I'd wonder why this thing is so focused around the number 86. Why is it called a GT86? Why are the exhaust tips 86mm? Why is the stroke and bore 86mm? Because it's a throw back to a very popular car Toyota used to make. The 1983-1987 Corrola/Trueno/Levin (chassis code AE86). Light weight - high revving NA - front engine rwd - which is easy to get sideways, and relatively easy to control whilst doing so. And it's designed after the Toyota 2000GT. Oh so that's where it gets its name and general design ideas from... It was never designed to be a speed/snow deamon. Just because Subaru produced it doesn't mean OMG IT NEEDS AWD AND TURBOOOOOOOOO. Subaru Produced it because Toyota owns 16.5% of Fuji Heavy Industries, and Subaru liked the idea of it and wanted to make their own model once Toyota showed them a pre-production version of the car.

As for the gauges... what's easier to see and process on a tach while under hard acceleration? A big needle traveling between big numbers? Or a read out of 4 numbers (eg: 3795) rapidly increasing. I'd guess the Big needle. I work on MC-130J aircraft for the chair force, our whole cockpit is glass. Everything is digitally displayed on the plasma screens. Guess how all the engine readings are displayed? As gauges..

When I first test drove the car I was pleasantly surprised how how well it picked up speed. I also pulled up to the dealership in a 400whp JDM STI swapped SAAB 9-2x. So for reference sake, I know what a fast car feels like. This car isn't slow, as mentioned above its a momentum car. Keep the speed up, rev it's nuts of, and smile at how it carves corners better than 90% of cars on the road at a great price.

[ame]http://youtu.be/tykzAyISnNk[/ame]

Last edited by VacantSky; 10-29-2014 at 01:08 AM.
VacantSky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VacantSky For This Useful Post:
FRSBRZGT86FAN (10-29-2014), Tcoat (10-29-2014)
Old 10-29-2014, 12:59 AM   #65
brianhj

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teseo View Post
I know right? Why didn't they use the LFA wheels and exhaust and engine too? It just doesn't make any sense
brianhj is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to brianhj For This Useful Post:
FRSBRZGT86FAN (10-29-2014)
Old 10-29-2014, 01:14 AM   #66
itsatrapp_eh

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by VacantSky View Post
This car isn't slow, as mentioned above its a momentum car. Keep the speed up, rev it's nuts of, and smile at how it carves corners better than 90% of cars on the road at a great price.
Well said, this is exactly what I think every time I hear someone complain about how fast the car isn't.
itsatrapp_eh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 07:25 AM   #67
Teseo

Drives: frs
Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,769 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
I can't tell if this is sarcasm or just plain trolling but...

No turbo nor awd- make the argument for a drivers car that requires you to go fast without power or awd but driver skill, not to mention it makes the car more fun without awd
No transmission oil cooler for AT- you only need it if your running auto x or constant hard track days in higher temps although having one would help, however it would up the price
LFA cluster- Would shoot the price up of this car and make it unachievable to the main audience
All those option can be done with different trim model.
Like nissan do with the GTR with nismo edition or the track pack,
You have option to choice and the trd version is just waste money for some spoilers
and exhaust etc.
Teseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 07:29 AM   #68
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gramicci101 View Post
If you're looking at FI systems from a heat perspective, I think you have it backwards. Turbos generate much more heat than superchargers.

For blind spots, anyone who has major blind spots has their side mirrors adjusted incorrectly. Your side mirror should pick up a car just as it's leaving the rear view mirror, and once it leaves the side mirror you can do a head check and see the car directly. You'll have very very minor blind spots immediately next to your rear wheels, but nothing big enough to fit a car into.

Cons:
Interior space
No long term testing on the various FI kits out there (50K+ miles)

Pros:
The most fun to drive.
There was an article in r&t showing that that's the correct way to setup your mirrors you shouldn't be able to see the body of your own car
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FRSBRZGT86FAN For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (10-29-2014)
Old 10-29-2014, 09:54 AM   #69
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,284 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
There was an article in r&t showing that that's the correct way to setup your mirrors you shouldn't be able to see the body of your own car
I have this battle with my wife all the time. She sets the mirrors so far in you can see the door handles on her back doors. Then she leans way over the armrest to see what is in the other lane whenever she passes (albeit that is a very rare occasion anyway)
Old 10-29-2014, 11:59 AM   #70
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
I have this battle with my wife all the time. She sets the mirrors so far in you can see the door handles on her back doors. Then she leans way over the armrest to see what is in the other lane whenever she passes (albeit that is a very rare occasion anyway)
I'll be honest. I used to do that too. I think it was in listening to Car Talk in my late 20s that I learned the correct way to adjust the mirrors. For a while I trained myself by leaning my head against the window and adjusting so I could just sight down the side of the car through the inboard side of the mirror's view.

It's good practice to watch a vehicle from the rear view mirror as it approaches and observe how the rear of the vehicle can still be seen in the rear view while the rest of the vehicle can be seen in the side view as it passes.

I think it was the security of having a fixed reference that drove me to adjust my mirrors incorrectly for all those years.

Edit: <doh!> @gramicci101, I just repeated your statement. Ima stoopid.

Last edited by Ultramaroon; 10-29-2014 at 12:12 PM.
Ultramaroon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ultramaroon For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (10-29-2014)