follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 02-14-2014, 04:56 PM   #1
vinceqt

Drives: FR-S Monogram Whiteout 6MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Sub install with 2014 factory head unit

So I've been digging the forums and it seems like there will be no RCA ports for this head unit (my monogram coming in tomorrow ). Anyways I still can't find any DIY or any guides as to how the stock head unit can be used to install a subwoofer?

Help please! Would be nice to keep the nav and stock head unit look. Will eventually upgrade speakers later on, but I already have my sub from my old car.
vinceqt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 04:57 PM   #2
post_break
Professional Smartass

Drives: White Out FRS
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Garage
This : [ame="http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002BEQJ8/ref=pe_175190_21431760_M3T1_ST1_dp_2"]Amazon.com: Metra 70-1761 Radio Wiring Harness For Toyota 87-Up Power 4 Speaker: Car Electronics[/ame]

Plus this:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/PAC-SNI35-Adjustable-2-Channel-Converter/dp/B001EAWS3W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1392415018&sr=8-1&keywords=subwoofer+line+level"]PAC SNI35 Adjustable 2-Channel Line Out Converter : Amazon.com : Automotive[/ame]

Will get you RCA outputs to plug into the amp. Tap that wiring kit instead of the factory wires like I did whoops.
post_break is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 07:16 PM   #3
vinceqt

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by post_break View Post
This : Amazon.com: Metra 70-1761 Radio Wiring Harness For Toyota 87-Up Power 4 Speaker: Car Electronics

Plus this:

PAC SNI35 Adjustable 2-Channel Line Out Converter : Amazon.com : Automotive

Will get you RCA outputs to plug into the amp. Tap that wiring kit instead of the factory wires like I did whoops.
Hows the quality of the sound? Could you give a little details on the install?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
Old 02-21-2014, 02:50 AM   #4
vinceqt

Garage
bump
Old 02-21-2014, 09:21 AM   #5
post_break
Professional Smartass

Garage
Quality of sounds is just fine. If you're not sure on the install talk to a car audio shop. You're just tapping about 6 wires and running the lines to the trunk.
Old 02-21-2014, 09:36 AM   #6
mid_life_crisis

Drives: FR-S 10 #103 AT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Why run all that wiring when it's already there? All you need is power and a short ground lead, everything else is there. Check out the sticky at the top of the Electronics section and you'll find a couple of threads about tapping into the OEM amp harness. If you don't mind a little extra prep work, you can do it without cutting into any of the factory wiring.
mid_life_crisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 10:05 AM   #7
post_break
Professional Smartass

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mid_life_crisis View Post
Why run all that wiring when it's already there? All you need is power and a short ground lead, everything else is there. Check out the sticky at the top of the Electronics section and you'll find a couple of threads about tapping into the OEM amp harness. If you don't mind a little extra prep work, you can do it without cutting into any of the factory wiring.
Can you post the guide that uses the factory amp harness to get line level outputs? I didn't see it.

Nevermind, just found it.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42239
Old 02-21-2014, 10:35 AM   #8
mid_life_crisis

Drives: FR-S 10 #103 AT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Check the other guide too. That one is mostly about replacing the factory amp to get a little more grunt to the door speakers. If you want to add a sub in the trunk, you can order the male and female halves of the connector and rewire them to create a harness that goes in between the factory harness and the factory amp so you can tap into the full range signal and amp turn on leads without cutting into the factory harness. If you are going to that much trouble though, you might as well upgrade the amp for the doors while adding the sub.
mid_life_crisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 04:30 PM   #9
mtscaletta

Drives: Ultramarine MT Fr-s
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Not to revive a dead thread but I'm going to be making a plug and play harness for my fr-s using metra 70-1761, 71-1761, and xscorpion sc-lc07. If anyone is interested I'll post a diy. It cost me 24$ shipped and will allow me to add a sub without splicing into anything on the vehicle itself. I'll have all the parts and will be putting it together this Thursday.
mtscaletta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mtscaletta For This Useful Post:
FRSToyota86 (09-27-2015)
Old 05-21-2014, 10:23 AM   #10
B-R-Z
I love peanut butter

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
I'm going to be doing the same soon, but do not want to cut any stock wiring. Has anyone tried using the line-outs from the factory HU that feed the stock amp as pre-outs to go into an aftermarket amp? This would be cleaner than working with amplified signal I would imagine. This signal can then go into a cross-over to get low frequencies for a sub.

How is the xscorpion sc-lc07? Is it comparable in quality to the Audiocontrol LC2I? [ame="http://www.amazon.com/AudioControl-2-Channel-Converter-Subwoofer-Control/dp/B004CTBYGE"]Amazon.com: AudioControl LC2I 2-Channel Line Out Converter and Subwoofer Control: Electronics[/ame]
B-R-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 10:42 AM   #11
mtscaletta

The sc-lc07 is a simple line out converter with no gain adjustment or crossover and only one channel, so no not really comparable. Also, the sc-lc07 cost me like five dollars. Not wanting to cut any factor wiring is the reason I'm making this harness. By using those three cables I can create a harness that goes in between the two OE harnesses and adds the line out that way. If you look at the sticky at the top they have a link to someone doing what you were talking about using the stock amp. The harness I'm making could go by the head unit or by the amp, fyi. The amp uses the same connectors that you would be splicing into in the back of the unit I believe. So you could potentially have your rcas behind the head unit or in the trunk.
Old 05-21-2014, 10:50 AM   #12
B-R-Z
I love peanut butter

Garage
Eh, the price is right on that but I wouldn't want a full range signal going into a sub. I didn't know the factory amp used the same connectors as the head unit, that's awesome.
Old 05-21-2014, 10:53 AM   #13
mtscaletta

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-R-Z View Post
Eh, the price is right on that but I wouldn't want a full range signal going into a sub. I didn't know the factory amp used the same connectors as the head unit, that's awesome.
You don't get a full range signal. You tap into the signal going into the 2 rear stock "subs" which will be getting an adjusted signal from the stock radio. It will work just fine. Besides, even though it's not ideal, my amp has a crossover built into it which should work fine. I'm not going crazy though, just one 10 JL w1. If I were going for real power I would have to agree with you. And yeah I was pretty surprised when I found that out too, it's in one of the threads in the sticky at the top. If I didn't have an aftermarket HU with my sub lines ran already I'd be putting everything in the trunk.
Old 05-21-2014, 10:59 AM   #14
B-R-Z
I love peanut butter

Garage
Where are the stock subs? I didnt know there were any. Does the 13 BRZ have then or just 14?