follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 07-16-2013, 05:23 PM   #1
l0aded
Addicted

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Help installing backup camera / setting up AV on BeSpoke?

The guides on the forum are extremely useful but..

I have a few questions if someone can answer though as I am a little confused. I am trying to install my Boyo camera using the fuse tap method and setup AV to eventually install MHL mirroring for my phone.

The Boyo camera has a long cable that eventually becomes one yellow RCA connector head (male) and a red and black wire, similar to this setup:

I bought a 16 pin adapter to plug into my headunit and am following this diagram:

So for the questions:

1) Where do the 3 (or 4) wires from the Boyo cam go into?
Yellow RCA: V+ on 16pin?
Red: 12v?
Black: V- on 16pin?
Trigger Wire: slot 2 in 28pin to 12V fuse?

I am guessing I should strip the yellow RCA is the video wire and need to expose the wires and put it into the V+ in the 16pin adapter, the black wire is the ground which goes to the V- in the 16 pin adapter. I'm not really sure about the red wire but I assume this is the wire I put into the 12V fuse?

2) For the AV part, if I follow the guide in the A/V Hidden Options guide (http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35778), will I lose the ability to play from my USB thumb drive in the front USB slot? For some reason my BeSpoke doesn't even show an AUX (has CD and USB).

3) Can someone confirm this: to setup AV, it looks like I need to ground slot 14 (VV-) and 27 (VA-), place the video RCA cable into slot 13 (VV+) and the audio cables into 28 (VAL+) and 26 (VAR+). Then anything I connect to the 3 RCA cables should output to the AV correct?

4) What gauge wires go into the 16 and 28 pin slots?

Phantom Supercharger | Tsudo Cat-Back Exhaust | K&N Drop-in Filter | Winjet Headlights | Opti-coated | 35/20 Tint | Radar/Dashcam Hardwired | OFT tuned | OEM Audio+ Reference 400CF | Uber Sound Deadened | LED DRL strips | JPM Coachworks Kneepads

Last edited by l0aded; 07-16-2013 at 08:06 PM.
l0aded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:11 PM   #2
chadstyle

Drives: 2013 Subaru BR-Z Limited
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
You're making this much harder than it needs to be...spend $12 (pretty sure that was price) and buy the harness that is sold by one of the forum members. It has a standard female RCA connector plus 6V and ground. Almost all cameras work on 6V and this is the OEM output for a camera.

If you REALLY want to hack up the video RCA for V+/- then you may be able to find some pictures on the same thread that shows the pin locations.

I'm on mobile right now so I'll try to remember to dig up the link for you later if you can't find it.
Old 07-17-2013, 03:49 AM   #3
l0aded
Addicted

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadstyle View Post
You're making this much harder than it needs to be...spend $12 (pretty sure that was price) and buy the harness that is sold by one of the forum members. It has a standard female RCA connector plus 6V and ground. Almost all cameras work on 6V and this is the OEM output for a camera.

If you REALLY want to hack up the video RCA for V+/- then you may be able to find some pictures on the same thread that shows the pin locations.

I'm on mobile right now so I'll try to remember to dig up the link for you later if you can't find it.

Thanks for the input. I already bought some cheapo stuff off ebay:
- 16-pin connector
- 3.5mm Female Audio Jack To 2 RCA Male Cable with 3.5mm to RCA component adapter (to connect to the yellow RCA component cable that comes on the camera)

so ideally going to try to use these even if I have to strip and solder, just need to know which to what.

For the Vehicle Speed Sensing some guides say you need to use a switch, can you just ground it instead or does it need to be switched?
Phantom Supercharger | Tsudo Cat-Back Exhaust | K&N Drop-in Filter | Winjet Headlights | Opti-coated | 35/20 Tint | Radar/Dashcam Hardwired | OFT tuned | OEM Audio+ Reference 400CF | Uber Sound Deadened | LED DRL strips | JPM Coachworks Kneepads
Old 07-17-2013, 08:55 AM   #4
Foobar
SLO NO MO

Drives: '19 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Thanked 1,062 Times in 738 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by l0aded View Post
1) Where do the 3 (or 4) wires from the Boyo cam go into?
Yellow RCA: V+ on 16pin?
Red: 12v?
Black: V- on 16pin?
Trigger Wire: slot 2 in 28pin to 12V fuse?

I am guessing I should strip the yellow RCA is the video wire and need to expose the wires and put it into the V+ in the 16pin adapter, the black wire is the ground which goes to the V- in the 16 pin adapter. I'm not really sure about the red wire but I assume this is the wire I put into the 12V fuse?
I agree with Chad, it's easiest to go with svxdc's pre-pinned wires and just shove them into the 16-pin harness. In any event, assuming the Bespoke is similar to the F10 on the BRZ, you take the Boyo's video (the yellow and black wires that eventually fit into the composite RCA connector) and they go in V+ and V- on the 16-pin. You can take power from the pin right next to V+ but make sure your camera can work with 6 volts as it doesn't do 12. I have the Boyo ultraslim license plate camera and it works fine on 6 volts. If you absolutely need 12 volts, then you can go the complicated route and use a relay on the CA+ 6V line to control another 12V source so that the HU powers the camera only when needed, or go brute force simple method and just run your camera's power line directly to an Accessory 12V (either directly to the fusebox or through any number of existing lines that you'd splice into). The downside to this is your camera will always be powered so long as the car is on. This may lead to a shortened life for the camera. You should also have a ground wire on the camera, just ground it to any convenient screw/bolt that's grounded to chassis.

That's all you need for a functioning rear camera. You can connect the parking ground to any ground point (I picked a side screw on the HU itself) and connect an inline switch on the VSS (SPD on that diagram I believe - it was green/pink) line on the 28-pin so that you can control full functionality even while the vehicle is in motion and not parked. That said, if the Bespoke firmware uses GPS as a backup VSS signal, then this won't work. Some firmware versions on the F10 work and some don't.
Foobar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Foobar For This Useful Post:
l0aded (07-17-2013)
Old 07-17-2013, 09:37 AM   #5
chadstyle

Thanks for the detailed explanation @Foobar! I was away from my computer on mobile and wanted to help but it was way too much while out with the family. I appreciate it!!
Old 07-17-2013, 10:16 AM   #6
Foobar
SLO NO MO

Garage
Hey no problem - I realize my explanation can be a bit confusing, so if anyone has any questions, feel free to ask for more clarity - I'm going by memory but I can double-check all of my connections if need be to confirm.

Also, I should point out that the black wire on the Boyo loom above is most likely ground. The yellow RCA connector actually has two wires connected to it, the tip (V+) and the shield part (V-).
Old 07-17-2013, 02:15 PM   #7
l0aded
Addicted

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foobar View Post
Hey no problem - I realize my explanation can be a bit confusing, so if anyone has any questions, feel free to ask for more clarity - I'm going by memory but I can double-check all of my connections if need be to confirm.

Also, I should point out that the black wire on the Boyo loom above is most likely ground. The yellow RCA connector actually has two wires connected to it, the tip (V+) and the shield part (V-).
Thanks your advice has been extremeley helpful. So from what I am reading it goes something like this:

I read here (http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...=backup+camera that he put a wire into the 28-pin adapter slot 2 (REV), is this unnecessary? Or if I put the camera's 12V red wire into this slot will it only power on when it goes into reverse since it is also 12V from what the guy is saying. Oh my Boyo VTL425HD requires 12V to power.
Old 07-17-2013, 03:42 PM   #8
Foobar
SLO NO MO

Garage
The reverse line to Pin 2 is to tell the HU to turn on the camera and select it as a display input. I'm not sure if it provides a 12V signal to do so.

On the BRZ F10, we needed to use an always on accessory source or the CA+ line on the 16 pin due to the HU checking for a legitimate video signal at power on. If it doesn't detect a working signal at that time, it doesn't enable the functionality. If the Bespoke doesn't do that and the REV is a 0/12V signal when gear is in R, then that would work as a power source yeah.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
l0aded (07-17-2013)
Old 07-17-2013, 03:57 PM   #9
l0aded
Addicted

Garage
Quote:
The reverse line to Pin 2 is to tell the HU to turn on the camera and select it as a display input. I'm not sure if it provides a 12V signal to do so.

On the BRZ F10, we needed to use an always on accessory source or the CA+ line on the 16 pin due to the HU checking for a legitimate video signal at power on. If it doesn't detect a working signal at that time, it doesn't enable the functionality. If the Bespoke doesn't do that and the REV is a 0/12V signal when gear is in R, then that would work as a power source yeah.

Sounds good. I'll probably try the 28pin first to see if that works. For the SPST switch is there any specific rating required / will the wrong switch blow anything or will something like this work? (http://www.frys.com/product/2874744?...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG)

Also from the yellow RCA cable from the camera, if I attach it to this: http://www.frys.com/product/1646557?...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG , does the polarity matter or can the red go the V+ or V-?

Thanks a bunch btw, cleared up a lot for me.

Last edited by l0aded; 07-17-2013 at 04:07 PM.
Old 07-17-2013, 04:01 PM   #10
chadstyle

Quote:

BRZ Limited radio checks for signal on startup as well. I haven't tested the Bespoke HU but it seems to function the same. I would imagine so as they use the same harness.
Old 07-17-2013, 04:01 PM   #11
Foobar
SLO NO MO

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by l0aded View Post
Sounds good. I'll probably try the 28pin first to see if that works. For the SPST switch is there any specific rating required / will the wrong switch blow anything or will something like this work? (http://www.frys.com/product/2874744?...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG)
That should work.

l0aded (07-17-2013)
Old 07-18-2013, 08:05 PM   #12
l0aded
Addicted

Garage
Think I am ready to install over the weekend. I made my harness out of the following:
1) 16-pin from ebay
2) Yellow component cable from my old PS1 connection
3) RCA coupler (female to female) to connect the camera male head to the ps1 male head.

Red goes to slot 2 in 28pin (REV) which supposedly supplies 12V
Black goes to ground.