follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 02-14-2019, 12:55 PM   #1
zac8

Drives: 2018 BRZ tS black and 2007 impreza
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Any opinions on WORKS stage 2 turbo kit and Corsa catback?

Pretty much planning on purchasing both in a few days... putting on my BRZ tS. Idea is trying to make it like it should of came from factory since being the tuned by sti model.... estimated power will be around 240 whp and 200 wtq on 93 pump.

anyone got some opinions or knowledge on the WORKS stage 2 turbo kit or the Corsa catback exhaust?

the turbo kit seems very safe with very conservative numbers.
zac8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 12:58 PM   #2
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
The works kits have odd powerbands from what I have seen posted. They make a lot of concessions to stay CARB certified.

Personally, I would look at different kits. The ptuning kit has a lot of satisfied customers and has been proven if you want to keep a similar turbo placement, otherwise there is p&l, JDL, and other front mount kits.

The corsa exhaust has been discussed at length on the forum. Good sound, quality and fitment. A bit on the heavier side.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Summerwolf For This Useful Post:
ATL BRZ (03-05-2019), Teseo (02-16-2019), zac8 (02-14-2019)
Old 02-14-2019, 01:05 PM   #3
zac8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwolf View Post
The works kits have odd powerbands from what I have seen posted. They make a lot of concessions to stay CARB certified.

Personally, I would look at different kits. The ptuning kit has a lot of satisfied customers and has been proven if you want to keep a similar turbo placement, otherwise there is p&l, JDL, and other front mount kits.

The corsa exhaust has been discussed at length on the forum. Good sound, quality and fitment. A bit on the heavier side.
I would be getting the non carb certified kit. It just seems to be the most reliable kit from the hp/tq numbers its producing
Old 02-14-2019, 01:22 PM   #4
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Quote:
Originally Posted by zac8 View Post
I would be getting the non carb certified kit. It just seems to be the most reliable kit from the hp/tq numbers its producing

I believe they're the same for either V1 or V2 that they're both CARB certified. The change would be in the tuning, but the kit is physically the same.

I would wager that the Ptuning or JDL etc would be the same, if not more reliable. You also have a much larger pool of long term examples running either kit. There aren't a whole ton of works kits running around.

If you really want a reliable FI solution at your power goal, JRSC or edelbrock springs to mind. Those are obviously supercharger kits but what is your actual goal with the car?
Old 02-14-2019, 01:39 PM   #5
zac8

Quote:
I believe they're the same for either V1 or V2 that they're both CARB certified. The change would be in the tuning, but the kit is physically the same.

I would wager that the Ptuning or JDL etc would be the same, if not more reliable. You also have a much larger pool of long term examples running either kit. There aren't a whole ton of works kits running around.

If you really want a reliable FI solution at your power goal, JRSC or edelbrock springs to mind. Those are obviously supercharger kits but what is your actual goal with the car?
my goal is pretty much reliability first and nothing too crazy in terms of power. I do not plan on tracking it. My budget is no more than 6k. Invoice from WORKS puts me around 4.8k for the kit with some add ons and a tune. I looked up the Ptuning kits and those are definitely out of my price range.
Old 02-14-2019, 02:00 PM   #6
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

6k budget would get you a full race or JDL kit installed. A base ptuning kit is 5795.00.

A JRSC kit is below 4k. Lots of options. Lots of reliable examples running around.

Do quite a bit of research and make your own decision.
Old 02-14-2019, 02:17 PM   #7
zac8

Quote:
6k budget would get you a full race or JDL kit installed. A base ptuning kit is 5795.00.

A JRSC kit is below 4k. Lots of options. Lots of reliable examples running around.

Do quite a bit of research and make your own decision.
Appreciate your feedback sir!
Old 02-14-2019, 02:32 PM   #8
HachiRokuX

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Corsa owner here. It sounds fantastic and makes the car go from almost whisper silent to sounding more like a V6/V8 engine.

Cold starts at 6am are brutal, I think my neighbors get annoyed sometimes. Also you will possibly get more attention from cops, try not to go WOT too much...

If I could do it all over again, I would choose the CSG Touring exhaust and pair it with an ace header to fly under the radar a bit more.

Jackson Racing pros:

-cheaper than Edelbrock
-makes the car sound like a Jet
-easy install (from what I’ve read)
-can install a blowoff valve for an even more unique sound while shifting
-reliable and track tested
-lighter than the edelbrock, giving you (potentially) better balance (25-50lbs from what I’ve read)

JRSC cons:

-centrifugal style supercharger, mainly builds boost in the higher RPMS

Edelbrock pros:

-Better powerband (it’s a roots style SC, lots of low end torque while still having lots in the high rpms).
-Edelbrock warranties your power train as long as you are under 36k miles or so.

Edelbrock Cons:

-slightly heavier than JRSC (50-100lbs)
-more invasive install as you have to put the Edelbrock manifold in your engine bay, on top of your engine
-mostly silent, no cool noises like JR SC.

Hope this helps in some way. I don’t know anything about turbos, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HachiRokuX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 02:48 PM   #9
zac8

Thanks @HachiRokuX

Sounds like the perfect cat back for me then =] I am pretty sure adding the turbo will quiet it down a bit, so i've heard... Thanks for the info on superchargers but I am having my brother install the turbo kit and hes already done a bunch of turbo installs.

Cops around here are pretty reasonable and i have never been pulled for my borla catback on Impreza. So I should be fine. Thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to zac8 For This Useful Post:
HachiRokuX (02-14-2019)
Old 02-14-2019, 04:02 PM   #10
HachiRokuX

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Any opinions on WORKS stage 2 turbo kit and Corsa catback?

Quote:
Thanks @HachiRokuX

Sounds like the perfect cat back for me then =] I am pretty sure adding the turbo will quiet it down a bit, so i've heard... Thanks for the info on superchargers but I am having my brother install the turbo kit and hes already done a bunch of turbo installs.

Cops around here are pretty reasonable and i have never been pulled for my borla catback on Impreza. So I should be fine. Thanks

I’ve heard a lot of 86 exhaust setups and the Corsa is definitely top 5, imo. In the cold it gets extra raspy and sounds incredible.

Edit: Amazon actually has it for 887.32, but you’ll have to wait a month to get it. The black tip version is much more expensive.

Last edited by HachiRokuX; 02-14-2019 at 04:13 PM.
HachiRokuX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 04:40 PM   #11
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Works is meh. JRSC is the sensible choice.
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 08:49 PM   #12
zac8

Quote:
Originally Posted by HachiRokuX View Post
I’ve heard a lot of 86 exhaust setups and the Corsa is definitely top 5, imo. In the cold it gets extra raspy and sounds incredible.

Edit: Amazon actually has it for 887.32, but you’ll have to wait a month to get it. The black tip version is much more expensive.

I am definitely going to get the black tips =] will look cool since car is black. does the exhaust ever make any pops for you?
The Following User Says Thank You to zac8 For This Useful Post:
HachiRokuX (02-14-2019)
Old 02-14-2019, 08:51 PM   #13
zac8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimon7777 View Post
Works is meh. JRSC is the sensible choice.
I like the power numbers but i'm not really looking for a supercharger. What do you feel is wrong with the works kit?
Old 02-14-2019, 09:13 PM   #14
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
I like the power numbers but i'm not really looking for a supercharger. What do you feel is wrong with the works kit?
I haven't looked recently, but when it first came out, it was a lot of money for a kit that got very little power. It was designed to be the only CARB compliant kit, and so it has compromises that other kits don't have.

If I were going to do a street turbo, those cheap SBD kits are just fine. If I wanted to pay a lot for a kit, the Ptuning stuff looks the best designed.

Then again I've had the car for 5+ years now and I haven't added a turbo or supercharger. With a header and tune, the car makes enough power to have fun while not so much that you cannot wring it out. We have other cars for acceleration.
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote