follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 06-29-2016, 12:42 PM   #29
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,476 Times in 4,997 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
More likely the 750iL because remote control car:
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBlOc79L0So"]Beamer Screamer (chase scene from Tomorrow Never Dies) James Bond 007 BMW 750il 7 series - YouTube[/ame]

@industrial When it comes to living with a BMW everyday, any M5 lands pretty high up on the list of "I could live with that"

If my 86 got totaled I'd start hunting for an E34 to test drive... Shame the estates are so hard to find
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 01:39 PM   #30
krayzie
Drive From Home

Drives: BRZ STI Performance
Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,007 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k View Post
I mean...

All the reasons you stated for LIKING that M5 are for what all modern BMWs have turned into. Straightline speed. i.e. characteristics that traditional BMW fans look down upon.
Sit inside an old quality Bimmer from the 80's and 90's then sit inside the pos they call BMW today. That and the sporty sideskirts are now just black decals with a piece of foam covering the bottom of the steering rack. What an eye opener when I went to the autoshow this year.
krayzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 02:44 PM   #31
industrial
Add lightness!

Drives: 17' WRX
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k View Post
I mean...

All the reasons you stated for LIKING that M5 are for what all modern BMWs have turned into. Straightline speed. i.e. characteristics that traditional BMW fans look down upon.
This isn't wrong for sure. Say what you want about where BMW has gone but that V10 is amazing and can't be compared with the FI stuff they have now. With the e60, you have a legit supercar engine in a practical "sleeper" sedan. Something about that really appeals to me.
industrial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 03:29 PM   #32
WolfpackS2k

Drives: '12 C63 P31, '23 GRC
Thanked 2,072 Times in 1,185 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Garage
I won't argue that. But you placed a high value on the car's merit of straight line speed, which is something that modern BMWs have in spades, haha.

I think that gen 5 Series's styling to be cheap and Pontiac-like, but there's no arguing the awesomeness of that V10.
Old 06-29-2016, 05:06 PM   #33
Dark
Elite Padawan

Drives: '15 WRX, 15 GLA250, and 2 feet
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
The best BMW are the ones not in a repair shop.
krayzie (06-29-2016)
Old 07-16-2016, 10:33 AM   #34
Re_Invention

Drives: '22 Tacoma, '19 Macan, '22 BRZ
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)

I was at the Louwman Museum a few days ago and saw a visitor parked mille style rallye 2002, since then I've been toying with the idea of picking up a roundie 2002 and doing a similar albeit hack-pseudo rallye-esque car build. Wouldn't need much and I think it'd be a fun 'time piece' to have in the garage. Collect various memorabilia from the era and leisurely track down original parts... But damned if they haven't risen in value to an uncomfortable buy in price. What happened to $6-9k tii's from a few years ago!? For a novelty car $15-20k is a lot. Bavarias are still reasonably priced though.

Several rags are running the 'best of BMW' in lieu of their centennial anniversary. It's interesting to read the golden cars compared to one another.

I really like BMW cars but I don't love 'em. BMW's are sensible options for enthusiasts and that creates a catch-22, at the end of the day I'd rather have two cars: comfortable and sporty with minimal compromises or unique features to each - different views on enthusiasm is all.

What they have created for themselves is remarkable though and I could see myself as a die-hard brand fan in another life. I really like the Bangle design (particularly the Z4! WOW!) and clown-shoe of yesteryear. The past is a bit checkered. Granted the 507 is one of the best looking automobiles ever made. One of the magazines opens with a theory that the origin of BMW relative to its geography is the reason for its success. It's ethnogenesis in antiquity (goths, franks, saxons, lombards, etc. forming the Germanic tribes and cultural strings) and more current placement between Milan and Berlin creating a unique culture of and by design. I'm not doing the article justice in a few short words but it's an interesting thought - BMW has this Alfa Romeo'ness to it in that regards, outshining the stale nature of the Auto Union cars and positioning themselves as attainable under the cache of Porsche products with emotional passion driving above and beyond their Mercedes rivals. The directors in charge also have a lot to do with that. They let engineers who drive lead product development for their legacy products. Not sure if that's still the case because the way world turns but hence the i8 above. That thing is freakin' awesome and is a sure shine of auto enthusiasm moving forward. Can't wait for NSX/i8 comparos to come out and see how they'll keep improving on the sport hybrid segment.
Re_Invention is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Re_Invention For This Useful Post:
DarkSunrise (07-17-2016)
Old 07-16-2016, 07:33 PM   #35
Talus1

Drives: '06 Cayman, ‘23 BRZ Sport-Tech
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
This one for general awesomeness and because I used to read about it as a kid:

Name:  bmw-imsa-3-csl-images-18.jpg
Views: 423
Size:  384.0 KB

And this one because I got to see it at Mosport back in '77 against the all conquering 934s and one bellowing Bob Tullius XJS.

Name:  fc5465fec3937f96150cdf5fa4039797.jpg
Views: 490
Size:  43.7 KB
DarkSunrise (07-17-2016), Juvenile (07-17-2016), ScoobsMcGee (07-19-2016)
Old 07-16-2016, 07:38 PM   #36
Talus1

Drives: '06 Cayman, ‘23 BRZ Sport-Tech
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Or there's this manual M5...

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrLYQnjzH7w"]The Hire: Star (BMW short film starring Madonna) HQ - YouTube[/ame]
krayzie (07-16-2016)
Old 07-16-2016, 11:33 PM   #37
krayzie
Drive From Home

Drives: BRZ STI Performance
Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,007 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talus1 View Post
Or there's this manual M5...
YouTube wasn't even invented yet I remember.
krayzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 01:16 AM   #38
PWBRZ

Drives: 2013 BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I vote for the FW27

PWBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PWBRZ For This Useful Post:
DarkSunrise (07-17-2016)
Old 07-17-2016, 06:29 AM   #39
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Re_Invention View Post
I was at the Louwman Museum a few days ago and saw a visitor parked mille style rallye 2002, since then I've been toying with the idea of picking up a roundie 2002 and doing a similar albeit hack-pseudo rallye-esque car build. Wouldn't need much and I think it'd be a fun 'time piece' to have in the garage. Collect various memorabilia from the era and leisurely track down original parts... But damned if they haven't risen in value to an uncomfortable buy in price. What happened to $6-9k tii's from a few years ago!? For a novelty car $15-20k is a lot. Bavarias are still reasonably priced though.

Several rags are running the 'best of BMW' in lieu of their centennial anniversary. It's interesting to read the golden cars compared to one another.

I really like BMW cars but I don't love 'em. BMW's are sensible options for enthusiasts and that creates a catch-22, at the end of the day I'd rather have two cars: comfortable and sporty with minimal compromises or unique features to each - different views on enthusiasm is all.

What they have created for themselves is remarkable though and I could see myself as a die-hard brand fan in another life. I really like the Bangle design (particularly the Z4! WOW!) and clown-shoe of yesteryear. The past is a bit checkered. Granted the 507 is one of the best looking automobiles ever made. One of the magazines opens with a theory that the origin of BMW relative to its geography is the reason for its success. It's ethnogenesis in antiquity (goths, franks, saxons, lombards, etc. forming the Germanic tribes and cultural strings) and more current placement between Milan and Berlin creating a unique culture of and by design. I'm not doing the article justice in a few short words but it's an interesting thought - BMW has this Alfa Romeo'ness to it in that regards, outshining the stale nature of the Auto Union cars and positioning themselves as attainable under the cache of Porsche products with emotional passion driving above and beyond their Mercedes rivals. The directors in charge also have a lot to do with that. They let engineers who drive lead product development for their legacy products. Not sure if that's still the case because the way world turns but hence the i8 above. That thing is freakin' awesome and is a sure shine of auto enthusiasm moving forward. Can't wait for NSX/i8 comparos to come out and see how they'll keep improving on the sport hybrid segment.
Well written comment! Makes me want to read the article you reference with regard to the origin of BMW. Do you remember which magazine wrote it?

Also agree with the bolded text above. BMW's brand identity is combining luxury with sport, but I think it makes sense to separate out the comfortable/daily driver from the sporty car if you can swing a second car. It makes even more sense if you do track events since common track mods can absolutely kill daily driveability and comfort. Sometimes at the track I'll see a fully caged/gutted M3 and it makes me wonder if it was a waste of money paying for a BMW and throwing out the luxury part of the car. Something like a Mustang GT (basically an M4 without the luxury) seems like a better place to start for an all-out track build.

That said, if I ever needed to simplify and have just one car for everything, it'd probably be an M3 sedan.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 01:36 PM   #40
Packofcrows
hey you, yeah you <3

Drives: 2014 37J FR-S
Thanked 1,257 Times in 809 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
135i is really nice!
Old 07-17-2016, 02:57 PM   #41
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,476 Times in 4,997 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
Well written comment! Makes me want to read the article you reference with regard to the origin of BMW. Do you remember which magazine wrote it?

Also agree with the bolded text above. BMW's brand identity is combining luxury with sport, but I think it makes sense to separate out the comfortable/daily driver from the sporty car if you can swing a second car. It makes even more sense if you do track events since common track mods can absolutely kill daily driveability and comfort. Sometimes at the track I'll see a fully caged/gutted M3 and it makes me wonder if it was a waste of money paying for a BMW and throwing out the luxury part of the car. Something like a Mustang GT (basically an M4 without the luxury) seems like a better place to start for an all-out track build.

That said, if I ever needed to simplify and have just one car for everything, it'd probably be an M3 sedan.
For converting a BMW to track use, their robust powertrains and chassis even after they 'lost their identity' mean it's a good platform. I bet in 10 years salvage M cars will litter track days even more than they do now given how solid the baseline of the car is, rip out all the crap and go racing. I mean if you've already got to be extra meticulous on a racecar, might as well get OBDII and 300+ hp to go with it. I met a guy who's on his second E46 M3 that's a salvage title for autocross because it's cheap speed.

For me the growing attaction is the combination of luxury and sporty, if I got one it'd be a DD first and a track/autox-er second. I'd live with the body roll and mod it just enough to keep it balanced and low cost on consumables (read camber).

If my car got totaled today I'd be hunting for an E36 M3 4 door in techno violet or an E34 M5 to test drive, if they lived up to the hype they'd probably be my next car. Presuming nothing else felt better to drive in the price range.

strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
DarkSunrise (07-17-2016)
Old 07-19-2016, 07:26 AM   #42
Deep Six

Drives: 2013 FRS / 2013 427 Vert
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Best BMW ever was this one that I borrowed for a track weekend and came to realize that 2600 lbs and 200whp could be a really fun package compared to trying to track a 600hp sedan. I bought my FRS used from a friend after this weekend.

2013 FR-S Asphalt BC Coils/Rev Works UEL header/HKS Front Pipe/Racing Brake BBK/Shorai LW Battery/ACT 6 Puck Clutch/FBM Radiator & Oil Pan/JR Oil Cooler/Jackson Racing High Boost C30/Rev Works Built Motor
2016 Audi TTS APR Tuned
Deep Six is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Deep Six For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (07-19-2016)