follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 09-27-2012, 11:33 AM   #1
michaelahess

Drives: '13 GBS BRZ Lim, 2006 Dodge RAM MC
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Steering Column Creak

So when my column is extended, even just a little, I get an irritating creak when my hands change position and when going over small bumps.

I've gone on a NVH rampage and killed many little squeaks and rattles, but this one eludes me.

Anyone else experience it and have a fix? Seems the column just isn't supported well enough to be fully extended.
Old 04-17-2013, 01:02 PM   #2
itsfun

Drives: SWP BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
This problem just hit me at 10k miles. It creaks at every turn! I haven't done significant testing other than hitting things and hoping the sound goes away. The sound happens with much less frequency with the steering wheel adjusted all the way in, but with the wheel all the way out the creaking returns and is very annoying.

Going to the dealer soon for this one...
itsfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 01:49 AM   #3
DaJo
FT86Club Vancouver

Drives: BRZ Sport-Tech; Drove: MR-S, AE86
Thanked 1,178 Times in 633 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I'm getting the same problem...

The noise is noticed when turning the wheel left and/or right... Sounds like the ticking noise is coming from the Rack & Pinion area near the steering column...

Something like this?

P.S. Also I think this thread should be in the Issues/Recall/TSB section... @Guff

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ebk9_pm4Jv8"]Subaru BRZ - Weird Ticking Noise - YouTube[/ame]

2013 BRZ Sport-Tech 6AT
Since '12 (OEM+ STI tS Build)
2015 Lexus IS250 AWD F-Sport 2 2015-2018
2018 Lexus NX300 F-Sport 3 Since '18
DaJo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DaJo For This Useful Post:
Guff (05-04-2013), jimmillion (06-02-2015)
Old 05-04-2013, 04:07 AM   #4
Nik33615

Drives: 2013 FR-S MT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I had a creaking sound from the front end and it sounded like the front sub-frame was slightly loose. I had my local dealer try to diagnose the problem and they called me back after having my car all day. They told me they needed to keep the car because they didn't know where the noise was coming from but they did hear it.
I told them that I have a background in auto mechanics (which I do) and to please check the front engine subframe bolts. They did and said they were in fact loose and tightened them and the noise is gone.
It is not abnormal for bolts especially suspension bolts on a new car to loosen up
and cause trouble.
Nik33615 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nik33615 For This Useful Post:
jimmillion (06-02-2015)
Old 05-04-2013, 07:46 PM   #5
tonytduc

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
me too
Old 07-22-2015, 01:15 AM   #6
amg

Drives: FR-S: Firestorm
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaJo View Post

The noise is noticed when turning the wheel left and/or right... Sounds like the ticking noise is coming from the Rack & Pinion area near the steering column...

Something like this?

P.S. Also I think this thread should be in the Issues/Recall/TSB section... @Guff

Hey DaJo, were you able to resolve this? I believe I am having the same noises occurring in my car. I thought it was the front under cover at first, but the noise was still there after retightening the bolts. Thanks!
amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 02:16 PM   #7
simpleisbest
Senior Citizen

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:

Something like this?

I've had this same problem. Turned out to be sway bar bind. I removed the sway bar, cleaned the bushings, regreased, reinstalled and all was good.

When you turn the wheel (even when parked), you put some load on the sway bar. If the bar is binded up due to mis-alignment or dirty bushings, it can make noise.
simpleisbest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to simpleisbest For This Useful Post:
Cybmx (02-18-2016)
Old 02-18-2016, 11:16 AM   #8
Cybmx

Drives: 2016 Hyperblue Brz
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by simpleisbest View Post
I've had this same problem. Turned out to be sway bar bind. I removed the sway bar, cleaned the bushings, regreased, reinstalled and all was good.

When you turn the wheel (even when parked), you put some load on the sway bar. If the bar is binded up due to mis-alignment or dirty bushings, it can make noise.
Just saw this, and I have the same issue on my brand new brz with less than 4000 miles. I will check the sway bar to see.
Cybmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 11:40 PM   #9
jinyang1590

Drives: 2015 BRZ WRB
Well guys I had the same problem, I brought it to the dealer about a month ago to see if they can fix it for me but they gave me the old "we can't replicate your problem, come back when it becomes more prevalent" so i decided to take this on myself. The noise, assuming everyone is experiencing the same noise, mine was coming from the steering column and it was like a click or a creak and heard sometimes during turns and while going over bumps. But to fix it, I took off the steering column cover, it comes off very easily you just turn your steering wheel to the side and it will reveal a philips screw near each of the stalks (turn signal stalk and wiper stalk) then you can just pull part the cover. Once you have the cover off, I realized that the noise was coming from the steering wheel position lock mechanism, and that there is a nut located on the right side of that column that you can turn to tighten the position lock mechanism. Once I tightened that nut up the noise went away.

However I should note that after I fixed this issue, my car failed to start, I don't know if I touched something related to the steering wheel lockout module, but my car will be at the dealer getting it fixed tomorrow, I will let you guys know if my car not starting was related to me tightening that nut and I will also let you guys know what to be aware of so you don't run into the same issue I'm having.

Last edited by jinyang1590; 03-04-2016 at 08:39 AM.
jinyang1590 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 11:33 PM   #10
N1rve

Drives: 2019 BMW ///M4
Thanked 1,167 Times in 714 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinyang1590 View Post
Well guys I had the same problem, I brought it to the dealer about a month ago to see if they can fix it for me but they gave me the old "we can't replicate your problem, come back when it becomes more prevalent" so i decided to take this on myself. The noise, assuming everyone is experiencing the same noise, mine was coming from the steering column and it was like a click or a creak and heard sometimes during turns and while going over bumps. But to fix it, I took off the steering column cover, it comes off very easily you just turn your steering wheel to the side and it will reveal a philips screw near each of the stalks (turn signal stalk and wiper stalk) then you can just pull part the cover. Once you have the cover off, I realized that the noise was coming from the steering wheel position lock mechanism, and that there is a nut located on the right side of that column that you can turn to tighten the position lock mechanism. Once I tightened that nut up the noise went away.

However I should note that after I fixed this issue, my car failed to start, I don't know if I touched something related to the steering wheel lockout module, but my car will be at the dealer getting it fixed tomorrow, I will let you guys know if my start not starting was related to me tightening that nut and I also let you guys know what to be aware of so you don't run into the same issue I'm having.
Well that's unfortunate.

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
N1rve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 11:26 AM   #11
jinyang1590

Drives: 2015 BRZ WRB
Update: the service tech said it was a blown steering lockout fuse. I must've shorted something out by mistake when I was tinkering around there.

So i guess for anyone tightening up the steering wheel position lock nut, be careful not to short out anything!
jinyang1590 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jinyang1590 For This Useful Post:
humfrz (03-04-2016), Tan (03-04-2016)
Old 06-26-2018, 12:21 PM   #12
R2

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:

Something like this?

I'm having a similar sounding problem, what was the issue/fix?
R2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 01:14 AM   #13
DaJo
FT86Club Vancouver

Drives: BRZ Sport-Tech; Drove: MR-S, AE86
Thanked 1,178 Times in 633 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by R2 View Post
I'm having a similar sounding problem, what was the issue/fix?

After 5 years, there really wasn't a fix (for me anyways). I am either going deaf/don't care anymore or it has solved itself... Haha I'm curious to know if anyone else had their issues fixed.

2013 BRZ Sport-Tech 6AT
Since '12 (OEM+ STI tS Build)
2015 Lexus IS250 AWD F-Sport 2 2015-2018
2018 Lexus NX300 F-Sport 3 Since '18
DaJo is offline   Reply With Quote