follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 03-20-2015, 07:56 AM   #967
rlpaul

Drives: point A to point C. Screw point B!
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Not saying this to anyone in particular, so please don't take offense, but sometimes the way information is presented is confusing.

I sent an email to @Diode Dynamics since I was having issues with my module as well. I outlined each step I had taken to get the module to function, which features appeared to function, and also outlined the functionality that I was getting with the OEM module. They responded fairly quickly with an RMA. I didn't ask for one, just outlined what was happening.

As someone who works in a customer facing job, I can gaurantee that at least 50% of the people you talk to are unable to articulate the problem they're having when experiencing something wrong, and typically just demand something. I advise taking a deep breath, explain step-by-step what the issue is, what you have done to install/correct, and I'm sure Diode Dynamics will provide the customer support everybody has come to expect from them.
rlpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rlpaul For This Useful Post:
Diode Dynamics (03-20-2015)
Old 03-20-2015, 09:41 AM   #968
xkalelx

Drives: 2013 BRZ black
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
I noticed mine were not functioning correctly last week. Popped the hood and did a wiggle test. The jumpers were loose and making poor connections. Pulled out my pocket knife and gently bent the tabs in the red jumpers to apply more pressure on the pins in the harness. Works fine now with no issues. Haven't had an issue with the module. I'm curious if maybe these loose jumpers are the culprit for other people and not their module at all.

To the people with issues, check your jumpers and do a wiggle test to see if they have adequate electrical continuity.

Best of luck to all and thanks DD for the good customer service.
xkalelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 09:57 AM   #969
VoiD

Drives: 13 WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Installed mine yesterday. Took less than 5 minutes. Working perfectly.
Old 03-20-2015, 10:01 AM   #970
rlpaul

Drives: point A to point C. Screw point B!
Quote:
Originally Posted by xkalelx View Post
tl;dr
check your jumpers and do a wiggle test to see if they have adequate electrical continuity.
Huh, didn't think to check this. Was going to pull the kit off today as my RMA is inbound, but I may check this real quick since I'll be in there. I remember the jumpers having good friction when I tried the off setting, then the on setting again, but didn't actually look to see if there was metal on metal.
rlpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 10:44 AM   #971
BRZoomTX

Drives: '13 BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diode Dynamics View Post
Just to be clear, this is not a common issue. Nearly all customers are seeing perfect operation upon initial installation. You can see that another forum member above who initially reported this ended up having a loose connection in their ebrake.

We are checking all relays before shipment now. We are testing all modules. It is extremely unlikely that anything is arriving DOA.

All emails are replied to within 24 hours, usually much faster. You can please feel free to call anytime during business hours, if you'd like to discuss your issue immediately. It's likely that we will send a replacement to resolve the issue you're experiencing.

I understand that it's frustrating that our representatives are hesitant to ship replacements. Unfortunately, we did not anticipate so much confusion over when DRLs actually come on. Replacement does not fix that problem, so we're currently focused on ensuring each customer fully understands how the module is supposed to work.

We're now shipping with large, clear notes in the instructions, regarding when the DRLs come on.

Thanks,
Paul
Thank you for the clarification. To date I have still not received a reply to my ticket through your support ticket system, however I did receive a response when emailing the contact address. An RMA has already been set up for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheeseballs View Post
I sent emails and an RMA request stating the exact same problem and the steps I took installing and troubleshooting. They told me to drive the car around and see if it works and then proceeded to inexplicably close my RMA saying it was resolved without any response from me. The follow up email I sent days ago asking for explanation hasn't been responded to either. Simply unreal.

And yes, I know when the DRL's are supposed to come on. When switching out the factory fuse with the Diode Dynamics fuse turns off the DRL with the stalk in the off position, it's not user error. It's a faulty product. I tested it with the car running and e-brake down. Switch back to the factory fuse and the car running and the DRL's turn on immediately, but of course it must be user error right?

At least Paypal and American Express will have my back.
Below is the video I sent in to DD showing my problem. Is this the same issue you are having? If so, give DD a chance to resolve the issue before you start submitting claims. I'm sure they'll make it right if the relay is bad.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbkylJ81rIs"]DD - AlwaysOn Harness - YouTube[/ame]

If anyone else is having the same problem as in my video, please take the following steps with the headlight switch in the OFF position:

1) Check the e-brake button under the e-brake cover. Pull up the ebrake, pop off the cover, and press the button over and over to verify it is not sticking.

2) Remove and re-install the DD always-on relay. You should hear the relay click as you put it back in (car needs to be on). If you hear no click, wiggle it around or re-install again. Its also worth mentioning to double check you are installing this in the right relay spot.

3) Remove the jumper on the module for the DRL, then manually jump this with a wire or metal. I used the screwdriver included in the kit to do this. If the jumper is loose then the DRL should immediately come on when you jump the positive and negative pins with the screw driver.

4) Remove and reconnect the wiring harnesses. They are pretty tough to push in, but you should hear the plastic clip "clicking" once the harness is fully secure.

5) Drive the car for 5 to 10 minutes, then check your DRLs again.

If they still do not work after taking these steps, send an email to contact@diodedynamics.com, confirm with them you have taken all of the steps above, then wait for a response from them. In my case, we determined the relay is possibly faulty and they have already set up a replacement on my RMA. They may have you take additional steps to further confirm any issues with the kit. Just work with them and they'll get you taken care of.
BRZoomTX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BRZoomTX For This Useful Post:
Cheeseballs (03-20-2015)
Old 03-20-2015, 12:09 PM   #972
Diode Dynamics

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Thanked 1,761 Times in 877 Posts
Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by [Ron] View Post
An RMA has already been set up for me.

I'm sure they'll make it right if the relay is bad.

If they still do not work after taking these steps, send an email to contact@diodedynamics.com, confirm with them you have taken all of the steps above, then wait for a response from them. In my case, we determined the relay is possibly faulty and they have already set up a replacement on my RMA. They may have you take additional steps to further confirm any issues with the kit. Just work with them and they'll get you taken care of.
Thanks Ron. We will certainly get you a replacement. Thanks for posting the video and the recommendations!

@Cheeseballs we reply to every email that comes in. Please check your spam box to ensure our reply didn't get sent there- we see that happen from time to time. Otherwise, please re-send your email, as we'll be happy to reply right away. If you'd like, you can PM your email address and I can look into it for you. Or, please feel free to give us a call. Your initial RMA would have only been closed if we requested additional information, and it was not provided after at least a week. We can certainly re-open it though. Thanks!
Diode Dynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Diode Dynamics For This Useful Post:
BRZoomTX (03-20-2015)
Old 03-20-2015, 12:33 PM   #973
Cheeseballs

Drives: Really slow
Quote:
Thank you for the clarification. To date I have still not received a reply to my ticket through your support ticket system, however I did receive a response when emailing the contact address. An RMA has already been set up for me.

Below is the video I sent in to DD showing my problem. Is this the same issue you are having? If so, give DD a chance to resolve the issue before you start submitting claims. I'm sure they'll make it right if the relay is bad.

If anyone else is having the same problem as in my video, please take the following steps with the headlight switch in the OFF position:

1) Check the e-brake button under the e-brake cover. Pull up the ebrake, pop off the cover, and press the button over and over to verify it is not sticking.

2) Remove and re-install the DD always-on relay. You should hear the relay click as you put it back in (car needs to be on). If you hear no click, wiggle it around or re-install again. Its also worth mentioning to double check you are installing this in the right relay spot.

3) Remove the jumper on the module for the DRL, then manually jump this with a wire or metal. I used the screwdriver included in the kit to do this. If the jumper is loose then the DRL should immediately come on when you jump the positive and negative pins with the screw driver.

4) Remove and reconnect the wiring harnesses. They are pretty tough to push in, but you should hear the plastic clip "clicking" once the harness is fully secure.

5) Drive the car for 5 to 10 minutes, then check your DRLs again.

Thank you for posting the video Ron. Your video shows the steps I also took before submitting my RMA in the first place.

Shortly after my post this morning, I got an email from Diode Dynamics. Here is what it said.

"Hello,

We are not brushing off your RMAs by any means, and I apologize if that is the impression given. We are working through testing on the kits that were received to ensure functionality. We are trying to discern if the functionality being displayed, the lights being off in the off position, is how the kit will work. Or, if the relays we were sent from Subaru are faulty. We will not be shipping replacements or RMAs for kits that are working in the "on" or "auto" setting for the time being.
Thank you,

Phillip"

Absolutely unreal.
Cheeseballs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cheeseballs For This Useful Post:
BRZoomTX (03-20-2015)
Old 03-20-2015, 02:07 PM   #974
Diode Dynamics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheeseballs View Post
Phillip made a completely incorrect statement, and I apologize for his mistake.

We are indeed shipping replacements under RMA, as we always have been. We are simply making efforts to verify there is indeed a problem before making shipments.

We've had some customers get a 2nd or 3rd replacement, and have it "not work," only to finally learn that their original DRLs were never powered on. As such, we're trying to ensure that full diagnosis is made, so we can actually resolve any issues rather than ship replacements and still have the same problem.

It's clear that you may indeed have a defective module. Please PM your email or original order number so we can send a replacement your way immediately.

Thank you,
Paul
BRZoomTX (03-20-2015)
Old 03-20-2015, 03:14 PM   #975
BRZoomTX

@Cheeseballs Not sure why that was sent out, maybe confusion internally with them. Looks like Paul is getting you squared away though.

My RMA is currently pending shipment, so for now they have me taken care of. Seems like they stuck gold with this product. Demand for it is pretty impressive. Once this initial rush of orders is finally over they'll have more time to clarify instructions and offer help with troubleshooting. Can't really expect anything else for an entirely new product.

Looking forward to receiving my replacement.
Old 03-20-2015, 03:23 PM   #976
Diode Dynamics

Quote:
Not sure why that was sent out, maybe confusion internally with them.
Correct. Lots and lots of calls, lots of confused customers. Regrettably, we're making some mistakes, and I'm very sorry to any customers who have to bear them. Please be assured that we will always support our products, and support our customers in getting things working properly- just like we've done for nearly a decade.
Quote:
Once this initial rush of orders is finally over they'll have more time to clarify instructions and offer help with troubleshooting.
Correct again- new instructions going out now with more clarification over when things work, and troubleshooting steps. Also, very thorough testing on each component done at three stages in production and before shipment.

As you might notice reading through the thread, nearly all customers now receiving the product are installing without any issue at all, which is of course our primary goal.

Thanks again for your feedback Ron.
BRZoomTX (03-20-2015)
Old 03-20-2015, 03:45 PM   #977
kakarot1657

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ (Galaxy Blue)
When will orders that were placed on the 16th be shipping out? Are the RMA's delaying the new orders from shipping next day?
Old 03-20-2015, 04:56 PM   #978
BRZoomTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakarot1657 View Post
When will orders that were placed on the 16th be shipping out? Are the RMA's delaying the new orders from shipping next day?
I'm sure they're processing them in order. Patience bro, mine took 6 business days to ship out.
Old 03-20-2015, 05:19 PM   #979
kakarot1657

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ (Galaxy Blue)
Quote:
I'm sure they're processing them in order. Patience bro, mine took 6 business days to ship out.

I only ask because of this post on 3/15/15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diode Dynamics View Post
Nope, they're for sale now, and shipping same or next day. Thanks!
Old 03-23-2015, 03:36 PM   #980
was385

Drives: MT WRB BRZ Limited, 2007 911s
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Received and installed my first replacement unit... and it came with a loose wire that makes the passenger headlight go in and out. Really disappointed in the quality control coming out of DD. I understand that they're trying to meet demand and fulfil orders but they obviously rushed this out to market.
was385 is offline   Reply With Quote