follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 08-05-2014, 01:08 PM   #113
paros28

Drives: 2007 Toy Corolla, 2012 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
The reason there is a never-ending debate is because of different perspectives. Both points of views are actually valid. This car does not lack power for normal driving on public roads i.e. observing speed limits. In fact, it was designed for the driver to have fun at legal speeds with stock settings. However, some people may want more power for the track or whatever reason. In which case, the car was also designed to be upgraded with various OEM and after-market parts for improved performance and handling. No wrong or right. Depends on what you want to do with the car and how much you are willing to spend.
paros28 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to paros28 For This Useful Post:
jcw99 (08-06-2014)
Old 08-06-2014, 08:17 PM   #114
nos145
Cognite

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
trolls
trolls and butt hurt everywhere

if you can afford it get @ptuning setup +upgraded breaks and the works
if you can't... just find windy roads and have fun as other ppl suggested.
nos145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 10:53 PM   #115
nmctacticz
2010 WRX - 2015 FRS

Drives: 2015 FRS
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmm View Post
I am not sure why I've never felt like this car is lacking of power. To those thinking that the car is lacking power, can you give me the scenario please? (Not torque dip)

Unless you are street racing against someone, I feel that I can go to 60 miles quick enough, I can overtake on highway quick enough. Not sure why there is lack for power from day to day driving....
When I say lack of power I'm referring to 200 HP. This car is supposed to compete against the Hunday geneus coupe which has 274 - 311 HP depending what model and year. I feel like the 2014/2015 scion FRS should have come turbo from factory. And noooo... I didnt just get this car to drive like a gramma, I would have bought a van for that.
I love the car and the way it looks and feels but I think in can use another 50 to 75 Horses
nmctacticz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 10:56 PM   #116
nmctacticz
2010 WRX - 2015 FRS

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by VuDism View Post
i don't want to be that dude that says this... but you need to browse/search forums before you ask questions that have been answered 1000 times...

with that said...

here are your options...
(1) install a t66 turbo with nos and a motec systems exhaust
(2) tune the nos timer, lengthen the injector pulse another millisecond, you'll run 9s
(3) install a cool-air intake, nos fogger system and a t4 turbo. direct port nitrous and AIC controller... and a stand alone fuel management system.

you are welcome
LOL thanks for your effort genius but no thank you
The Following User Says Thank You to nmctacticz For This Useful Post:
rick s (08-07-2014)
Old 08-06-2014, 11:04 PM   #117
nmctacticz
2010 WRX - 2015 FRS

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick s View Post
Nothing like beating a dead horse
How many times do we need to hear about people that bought the GD car and then turn around a complain that there isn't enough power
If you still bought it after the test drive and "all" of your research then maybe you got what you deserve, I doubt you will find any sympathy from the seasoned members on this forum.
Thanks tips you should be promoted to captain obvious. I test drove the car about 8-10 times before I bought it and loved it. I knew I was buying a 200hp car however, thats not my point genius... my point is that the FRS should come with more power and Im sure many FRS owners are with me on this one. My intention was to buy the car and make it faster, and thats exactly what Im doing
The Following User Says Thank You to nmctacticz For This Useful Post:
rick s (08-07-2014)
Old 08-06-2014, 11:12 PM   #118
nmctacticz
2010 WRX - 2015 FRS

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikengrace View Post
I also own a 2013 Corvette Grand Sport. That car is way fast, handles great, is smooth, comfortable and reliable. Yet, in most driving situations, I prefer to drive our 2014, Scion FRS. The comparison in power is almost a laugh. But, in many ways that is what I like about the Scion. It is so fun to use the power it has to its full extent. There is virtually no where on the streets where you can realistically or safely use what the Corvette has available. The Scion makes you work for it some, but that is the fun of driving it. It is plenty fast for almost every type of driving. Even when auto crossing. It just means you have to run it up in the rpm and take advantage of the great handling. The Corvette has the ability to leave the FRS in almost any situation, with out working too hard. It's just not as fun as using your skills and the handling abilities of the Scion. More power is always desirable, but I truly enjoy the balance of the Scion. Plus with more horsepower, generally comes less dependability and more stress on the brakes, suspension and driver. My Corvette cost three times what the Scion does. Yet, I find it to be just as good of a car. Just different. Now I just have to hope no other Vette owners are reading this.
Haha I think your good, no corvette guys on here and I feel the same way in a sence. I think the FRS is a super fun car to drive. I do think if it had about 50-70 more hp it would be funner
Old 08-06-2014, 11:36 PM   #119
vobla6.0
Resident Douchebag

Drives: balla'
lackbof turbos

\thread
vobla6.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 12:02 AM   #120
jebuwh
Village Idiot

Drives: '13 FR-S Ultramarine Manual
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmctacticz View Post
When I say lack of power I'm referring to 200 HP. This car is supposed to compete against the Hunday geneus coupe which has 274 - 311 HP depending what model and year. I feel like the 2014/2015 scion FRS should have come turbo from factory. And noooo... I didnt just get this car to drive like a gramma, I would have bought a van for that.
I love the car and the way it looks and feels but I think in can use another 50 to 75 Horses
The gen coupe weighs 3300 pounds. And compete how?

Because the gen coupe handles like a big boat autocross wise. The 2.0 is in gstreet. Basically the twins whoop on it all day. Even the v6 is in f street. Which again we whoop on it. Modded the gen coupe goes to stx. That's where the twins as well... Look at results there...

Its not built as a drag car. But tight technical driving is where it shines and kills cars above its class.

Last edited by jebuwh; 08-07-2014 at 03:07 AM.
jebuwh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 01:37 AM   #121
DrawingBrad

Drives: Argento FR-S
Just get a Treadstone Turbo kit for your frs and get like 400+ hp and youll be happy
DrawingBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 03:02 AM   #122
F1fletch

Drives: 13 FR-S AT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Stay N/A, reduce weight by 100lbs, UEL Header, OFT Tune, drop in with good silicone elbow and 94 octane. I believe this will wake the car up some.
F1fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to F1fletch For This Useful Post:
Kronos (08-07-2014)
Old 08-07-2014, 11:19 AM   #123
FRS Dad

I just picked up a 2015 FRS for my 20 yr old son. Sadly he's not much of a gear head and went to Toyota looking at a friggin' Camry or something but I talked him into the FRS (with a 6 speed no less.) I grew up loving Asian built NA small displacement RWD coupes.

My first new car was an 82 Celica ST with a stick. I've owned a series of Z cars, including an 83 280ZX, a couple of 300ZX, an RX7, and later a BMW Z3, an 05 GTO, a 2012 Audi A5, and my current DD, a 2010 Mercedes S550. All nice cars but hard to recapture the fun of those 80's era Toyotas and Datsuns.

Here's my impression of the FRS/BRZ. Anyone who loves cars should hunt down the people responsible for this thing and kiss their ass(es) repeatedly. I've driven the crap out of that little thing the past couple of days and it's a terrific car that performs exactly as intended... as a lightweight small displacement RWD sports coupe. It's primitive as far as amenities go but that plays to its charm. It's all business.

In terms of power, having owned the 05 GTO (actually an imported Australian built Holden Commodore with a 400hp/400fp 'Vette LS2 V8) will spoil a guy, not so much for the horsepower but for the torque. The FRS obviously needs to be wound up quite a bit and kept there to perform well, and the run from first to second creates a lot of sound and fury but not much pull, but it's a blast to drive. You guys who are young enough and unencumbered enough to have a two seat coupe as a DD are some lucky mo' fo's.
FRS Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FRS Dad For This Useful Post:
PHLonomenal (08-07-2014), VuDism (08-07-2014)
Old 08-07-2014, 11:22 AM   #124
Jyn
Noob

Drives: FR-S Mammogram
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRS Dad View Post
I just picked up a 2015 FRS for my 20 yr old son. Sadly he's not much of a gear head and went to Toyota looking at a friggin' Camry or something but I talked him into the FRS (with a 6 speed no less.) I grew up loving Asian built NA small displacement RWD coupes.

My first new car was an 82 Celica ST with a stick. I've owned a series of Z cars, including an 83 280ZX, a couple of 300ZX, an RX7, and later a BMW Z3, an 05 GTO, a 2012 Audi A5, and my current DD, a 2010 Mercedes S550. All nice cars but hard to recapture the fun of those 80's era Toyotas and Datsuns.

Here's my impression of the FRS/BRZ. Anyone who loves cars should hunt down the people responsible for this thing and kiss their ass(es) repeatedly. I've driven the crap out of that little thing the past couple of days and it's a terrific car that performs exactly as intended... as a lightweight small displacement RWD sports coupe. It's primitive as far as amenities go but that plays to its charm. It's all business.

In terms of power, having owned the 05 GTO (actually an imported Australian built Holden Commodore with a 400hp/400fp 'Vette LS2 V8) will spoil a guy, not so much for the horsepower but for the torque. The FRS obviously needs to be wound up quite a bit and kept there to perform well, and the run from first to second creates a lot of sound and fury but not much pull, but it's a blast to drive. You guys who are young enough and unencumbered enough to have a two seat coupe as a DD are some lucky mo' fo's.
Be honest, did you buy the car for your son or for you, but had to convince the wife it was for your son?
Old 08-07-2014, 11:50 AM   #125
jvincent

Drives: 2022 WRB BRZ Sport-Tech
Thanked 1,410 Times in 715 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRS Dad View Post

Nominated for the post hall of fame.

Your son is lucky. You will probably be flooded with adoption requests shortly.
jvincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 11:52 AM   #126
FRS Dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyn View Post
Be honest, did you buy the car for your son or for you, but had to convince the wife it was for your son?
Unfortunately (in this limited instance) he doesn't live at home so I won't see it much. I did steal it all day yesterday to put his radar detector in and some other stuff though, and I think I have him sold on some staggered 18's.
FRS Dad is offline   Reply With Quote