follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 06-02-2012, 09:17 AM   #1
mistax

Drives: none
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
how are you AT Fr-s enjoying the car =)

was peaking around and was wondering how you guys are enjoying the car.
mistax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 09:44 AM   #2
MVJ1975
Automatic Hooligan

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Loving it. Obviously, it's still in the break-in period so I can't hoon on it yet, but I have tossed it around a few corners (quickly enough to kick the flashing VSC light on) at decent speed. Curves that felt sharp in my tC seem to make the FR-S say "was that all? Take that faster next time"!

I always put it in Sport mode. Haven't turned any of the nannies off yet, and I haven't used full Manual yet either. Saving that for when I get a chance to take it out on an empty country road.
Old 06-02-2012, 12:53 PM   #3
VADER
Regional Moderator

Drives: VADER 86
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVJ1975 View Post
Loving it. Obviously, it's still in the break-in period so I can't hoon on it yet, but I have tossed it around a few corners (quickly enough to kick the flashing VSC light on) at decent speed. Curves that felt sharp in my tC seem to make the FR-S say "was that all? Take that faster next time"!

I always put it in Sport mode. Haven't turned any of the nannies off yet, and I haven't used full Manual yet either. Saving that for when I get a chance to take it out on an empty country road.
I have only been driving it in "D". I switched on the Sport for a straight away once or twice. But need to definitely try it out more often. And I hear that Sport + Manual mode w/ the paddle shifters combined is orgasmic.
VADER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 04:36 PM   #4
typezer0

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Had mine for a week still getting used to it. I'm still not clear on the whole "sport" or "vsc sport" settings. Right now I'm leaning towards using just the "vsc sport" setting.
typezer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 01:34 AM   #5
rikdrt1
Hypnotic FRS Member

Drives: FR-S [Raven]
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Loving IT. Day2 put about 45miles up a windy road with alot od 25-35MPH turns and straightaways. by the time i got to this road, i had 2 stragglers behind me checking me out (240SX Nissan, RSX).. all of us were flying around the corners and being this is my first sports car and im 40+ yrs young.. i was able to get a few turn-after-turns where i left those crazy guys way behind me - but never got over 3500rpm..so it is so crazy.. everytime i saw 25MPH, i looked down and hit each of the turns at twice the speed very easily - this car is so much fun... i think the other guys following me had as much fun watching this fRS just carve it up with a rookie guy like me behind the wheeel.
i was tryign to get used to the paddle shifting but the combo of that and the Auto is just magical . i am so glad i got it this way and not in full Manual -- LOVE it...
rikdrt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 01:55 AM   #6
konichiwaa-B

Drives: 2013 FRS - whiteout
Garage
I was driving manual for the last 10 years, so this is a big change for me. I have to say the auto is very fun to drive. Once the break in period is over, sport mode is the way to go. It is so much quicker and responsive. Plus I like how it downshifts for you.

The other day I merged from one freeway to another on this long turn and kept the car right at 75mph. The front digs in and you really feel the traction. It's like you don't really feel the cars potential until you push it beyond the norm. That was a 45mph turn, but the FRS seems to just hunker down and stick to the road. It's very confidence inspiring. So far I am very happy that I chose AT.
konichiwaa-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 02:08 AM   #7
carbonBLUE
Reverse Burnouts

Drives: 2013 Argento FRS
Thanked 1,257 Times in 592 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Ok ive got some hooning in, max rpm as of today 5900 RPMs by next fill up I should be broken in let me break down the modes for you
1 trac off : tires will spin on some surfaces from a stop, turns back on at 33 mph, also will turn on if you activate stability control by getting the tail out
2 sport : keeps you in a gear smaller even during cruising, holds gears longer when you start pushing the car, also this is a D mode only setting, sport will turn off evenually if in M Mode
3 vsc sport, lets about 5% slip angle before it starts stepping in, great for learning the vehicles dynamics and limits
4 funnest mode when hooning sport mode and vsc sport in D selected, great for back roads( sport and vsc sport act seperatly and aren't the same remember!)
5 all nannies off after about 15-20 % slip angle car starts to rotate more quickly, great for dirft roads

Also drove a dirt road today, so much mechanical grip!

2000 Carbon Blue Toyota Celica GTS 152000 miles
(wont forget you)
2013 Argento Scion FR-S
2011 Infiniti G37x
carbonBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to carbonBLUE For This Useful Post:
calis5nest (12-15-2012)
Old 06-03-2012, 02:13 AM   #8
carbonBLUE
Reverse Burnouts

Drives: 2013 Argento FRS
Thanked 1,257 Times in 592 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Also sport mode will notice spirited driving styles, from my understanding the mode becomes more aggressive, dropping down to even lower gears and holding them as you drive harder, I love that feature!

2000 Carbon Blue Toyota Celica GTS 152000 miles
(wont forget you)
2013 Argento Scion FR-S
2011 Infiniti G37x
carbonBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 02:16 AM   #9
feldy

Drives: 2013 FRS Asphalt
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
This car puts a smile on my face every time. Even with a auto. I always turn the nannies off and put it in sport mode. Even in d. Unless it was raining. Back end was slipping out.
feldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 07:17 AM   #10
Pake1

Drives: SWP Premium BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by konichiwaa-B View Post
I was driving manual for the last 10 years, so this is a big change for me. I have to say the auto is very fun to drive. Once the break in period is over, sport mode is the way to go. It is so much quicker and responsive. Plus I like how it downshifts for you.

The other day I merged from one freeway to another on this long turn and kept the car right at 75mph. The front digs in and you really feel the traction. It's like you don't really feel the cars potential until you push it beyond the norm. That was a 45mph turn, but the FRS seems to just hunker down and stick to the road. It's very confidence inspiring. So far I am very happy that I chose AT.

Still on the fence with this one...MT or AT....where in SD did you try this?? I'm wondering how this will fare on Wildcat Canyon Road up and down Barona
Pake1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 11:49 PM   #11
konichiwaa-B

Drives: 2013 FRS - whiteout
Garage
I only took it for a test drive on the freeway. The reason I switched from a manual to an auto is because I commute a lot in traffic every day, and the manual was just too tiring. I commute over 60 miles round trip every day, and sitting in traffic with a manual was not pleasant. So I reluctantly made the transition to auto. If I had a commute of say 12 miles or less, then I would definitely go manual. As far as I'm concerned, there is nothing that replaces the precision of being able to shift at any moment. The auto may be smart, but nothing beats the control of a manual transmission. Maybe I'm just getting old.
konichiwaa-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 02:46 AM   #12
rikdrt1
Hypnotic FRS Member

Garage
How am I liking it so far ???

I went up and down the county today on the I-15 and put its first 90miles on the freeway.. the onboard computer says 45MPG going an easy 65Mph the whole way.... (that was NO typo !! ) and taking real easy with the RPMs. Boy, THAT put a smile on my face ! Way way better than the rated 34mpg on the sticker. 6spAT , BTW !!!!

Stereo playing off the iPOD is ok, i have been looking at that SCION option from OPTOMIZE SCION..... 1000 dollars for alot of stuff - still looking at that !!!
The Following User Says Thank You to rikdrt1 For This Useful Post:
HotLeopardMama (06-05-2012)
Old 06-04-2012, 02:51 AM   #13
rikdrt1
Hypnotic FRS Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pake1 View Post
Still on the fence with this one...MT or AT....where in SD did you try this?? I'm wondering how this will fare on Wildcat Canyon Road up and down Barona
Headed out Telegraph Canyon Road EAST towards Campo ... those roads are way better and alot less traffic .. real scenic too - loved it.

ill be up towards Barona soon i am sure.. but those dont have any hairpin turns and tight 15Mph turns like towards Campo/Jamul.....

its Orgasmic ... like one guy said !
The Following User Says Thank You to rikdrt1 For This Useful Post:
Pake1 (06-04-2012)
Old 06-04-2012, 10:13 PM   #14
smbrm

Drives: Scion FRS Ht Lva(AT)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
The MT is one of the best I have ever driven, real crisp tight shifts. But pretty much the rpm/speed range as my current car. Just 6 gears in the same space as 5. But I am actually thinking about the AT after 40 years of MT rowing, just for something different? Would love to hear more about your likes and dislikes for the AT? All modes? I have only tried the paddle shifters in M. Interested in learning more about how it pulls in 5th & 6th on highway uphills or if you have to downshift a cog or two?
smbrm is offline   Reply With Quote