follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Southeast

Southeast AR, AL, GA, FL, KY, LA, MS, NC, SC, TN

User Tag List

Old 06-02-2012, 12:51 AM   #1
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
Dealerships to AVOID in the SE

Let's start a list of the dealers to AVOID. Follow the format below if possible:

Dealership Name:
State:
City:
Brand: (ie Scion, Subaru or both)
Salesman to talk to:
Reference desired: (ie tell them Bob sent you, etc)
Allocation left? If so, how many as far as you know:

Details of your experience with the dealership:
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave-ROR For This Useful Post:
bestwheelbase (06-04-2012)
Old 06-02-2012, 12:31 PM   #2
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
Dealership Name: Wesley Chapel Toyota/Scion
State: FL
City: Wesley Chapel
Brand: Scion
Salesman to talk to: N/A
Reference desired: N/A
Allocation left? If so, how many as far as you know: N/A

4k FMV adjustment.
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave-ROR For This Useful Post:
bestwheelbase (06-04-2012), Sportsguy83 (06-02-2012)
Old 06-03-2012, 01:26 PM   #3
greenguy101
VMFIC ORLANDO SCIKOTICS

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Dealership Name: Toyota of the Avenues
State: Florida
City: Jacksonville
Salesman to talk to:
Reference desired:
Allocation left? If so, how many as far as you know: 2

Details of your experience with the dealership: They have a $5,000 market adjustment and even have the balls to put the Asphault MT that I want on eBay.
bestwheelbase (06-04-2012), Dave-ROR (06-03-2012)
Old 06-03-2012, 01:31 PM   #4
greenguy101
VMFIC ORLANDO SCIKOTICS

Dealership Name: David Maus Toyota
City: Sanford
Salesman to talk to: Mike Durham
Reference desired: Hot Lava MT or Asphault MT
Allocation left? 2

Details of your experience with the dealership: Mike was an excellent salesman. They didn't have an FR-S with a MT but he told me he would give me a call when one came in. I later heard and confirmed that they were adding $3,000 as a market adjustment. It looks like I'm not going to get my FR-S anytime soon with all these market adjustments!

Edit: after many upset customers, David Maus dropped the Market Adjustment. I bought my FR-S from them and would recommend them to anyone. I had done business with them in the past and my only issue this time was the adjusted price. Mod's feel free to erase this dealership from this post.

Last edited by greenguy101; 08-07-2012 at 01:25 PM.
greenguy101 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to greenguy101 For This Useful Post:
bestwheelbase (06-04-2012), Dave-ROR (06-03-2012)
Old 06-03-2012, 06:13 PM   #5
Dbjunk

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Dealership Name: Marietta Scion
State: GA
City: Marietta/Atlanta
Brand: Scion/Toyota
Salesman to talk to: -
Reference desired: -
Allocation left? If so, how many as far as you know: 1 AT (I was told one AT would be in this week)

Details of your experience with the dealership: Nice enough guys at the dealership, but I got some screwy info from the salesman that made me walk. I was told "All FR-S's in the southeast come with Bespoke as a base installation and not as an option" and an additional "dealer inspection fee was added to the price...Also, a 5k non refundable deposit was required.

thats 2 Atlanta area dealers down, hopefully the 3rd one is a charm.
Dbjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dbjunk For This Useful Post:
bestwheelbase (06-04-2012), Dave-ROR (06-04-2012)
Old 06-03-2012, 11:19 PM   #6
eriktherod

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Firestorm Red MT
Garage
Dealership Name: Scott Clark Toyota
State: NC
City: Charlotte
Brand: Toyota/Scion
Salesman to talk to: Tony Byrd
Allocation left? If so, how many as far as you know: 1-2, I think

Details of your experience with the dealership: None on hand, started off by trying to sell me the 'loaded' FR-S with all manufacturer options (BeSpoke, tint, applique, etc). Then tried to tell me, 'they just come like that,' until I pushed hard enough for the base model. Severely undervalued my trade-in by $2500 (KBB) for my 08 Si. Adds $1200 market adjustment trying to pass as a special wax job and paint protection. Refused to remove the amount, saying they charge it for ALL cars. Also $699 DOC fee. Over MSRP and insane fees, lowballers, and all-around scheme artists -- need I say more?
eriktherod is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eriktherod For This Useful Post:
bestwheelbase (06-04-2012), Dave-ROR (06-04-2012)
Old 06-04-2012, 07:08 AM   #7
Rejor11

Drives: Mini Cooper
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Dealerships to AVOID in the SE
Let's start a list of the dealers to AVOID. Follow the format below if possible:

Dealership Name: Kieth Pierson Toyota/Scion
City: Jacksonville
Salesman to talk to: Ralph (Assistant Sales Manager)
Reference desired:
Allocation left? If so, how many as far as you know: Two, one silver, one black.

Details of your experience with the dealership: I'm pretty interested in getting a Scion FRS, but I had a very negative experience with the above dealership. They have two FR-S's, manuals, one in silver the other in black. I want the black one, and the kieth pierson website advertises their black on for about 26,300.

Until you go to the dealership. Then you see a 5,000 dollar "ADM" fee. Advanced Market Value. Because the car is "rare". And this is on top of an inflated MSRP of 27,200 dollars. Needless to say I told them to drop it down to 26 or they won't get my business. Of course they couldn't do it, so I told them I'll be contacting scion customer service.
Rejor11 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rejor11 For This Useful Post:
bestwheelbase (06-06-2012), Dave-ROR (06-04-2012)
Old 06-04-2012, 10:00 AM   #8
esyres
WRB BRZ #686

Drives: Subaru BRZ / Toyota Corolla
Garage
Maxwell Subaru 2519 N Church Street, Burlington, NC -- $5k over MSRP!!!!

Maxwell Subaru had listed - 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited - $28,637
After I spoke with the dealer and internet sales adviser, they told me the car was a "Demo" being driven by the General Manager and that they would require more money over the MSRP to get it "out of his hands". I told them I wouldn't pay over MSRP - especially since they had it listed on the internet at MSRP. After speaking with the General Manager, the told me they needed $5000 over suggested retail. NO THANKS!
esyres is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to esyres For This Useful Post:
bestwheelbase (06-06-2012), Dave-ROR (06-04-2012)
Old 06-04-2012, 01:47 PM   #9
DantKR

Drives: Subaru BRZ LT
Southern States Subaru in Raleigh, NC

$3,000 markup on the BRZ limited.
DantKR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DantKR For This Useful Post:
Zgrinch (06-04-2012)
Old 06-04-2012, 03:51 PM   #10
greenguy101
VMFIC ORLANDO SCIKOTICS

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenguy101 View Post
Dealership Name: David Maus Toyota
City: Sanford
Salesman to talk to: Mike Durham
Reference desired: Hot Lava MT or Asphault MT
Allocation left? 2

Details of your experience with the dealership: Mike was an excellent salesman. They didn't have an FR-S with a MT but he told me he would give me a call when one came in. I later heard and confirmed that they were adding $3,000 as a market adjustment. It looks like I'm not going to get my FR-S anytime soon with all these market adjustments!
UPDATE: I just got a call from Mike, the sales guy at David Maus. He said that David Maus had adjusted the pricing back to MSRP and discontinued the practice of Market Adjustment. I asked him why they had put the price back and he said that the cars didn't sell with the markup. This is working guys!!!! DO NOT PAY MORE THAN MSRP!!!
Dave-ROR (06-17-2012), MattR (06-05-2012), Sportsguy83 (06-04-2012)
Old 06-05-2012, 09:11 PM   #11
McFly
Banned

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S - Hot Lava
Dealership Name: Toyota/Scion of Tampa Bay
City: Tampa
Salesman to talk to: Bruno
Allocation left? If so, how many as far as you know: 2

I had gone to this dealership 2 months before the expected delivery date of the FR-S and spoken with Bruno, the Internet Sales Guy. He was nice, took my information and said he would contact me. (Had done the same with Subaru dealership and they never called back) Bruno emailed me when the first FR-S came in and I went by to check it out a week later (yes, it was still there!). Was an automatic (I wanted stick), but he sat down with me to go over what else would be coming in. The vehicle on the floor was optioned up to over $28,000 MSRP, $699 dealer fee, and addendum sticker for $2,999. After taxes the car would have cost over $33,000. He showed me what was coming in (Asphalt manual) and showed that it too was optioned out and would have the addendum. They had more options on that one so it also was over $33,000. I was upfront and told him that was Camaro SS territory. He wasn't willing to budge at all, then I realized I was in the middle of a negotiation for a Scion! I pointed out that there is a reason the FR-S they were selling was still sitting on the floor but he wouldn't budge. I left, explaining that I won't pay an unreasonable price. Minutes after I left, the sales manager called to ask how he could get me in a vehicle immediately. I guess they were confused since they didn't now what vehicle I even wanted. Stick shift model had not arrived yet. I explained that I would love to purchase the car, but I wouldn't pay a penny of a markup for a Scion. He said he would check with his boss and call me back... which he never did.

I went to Sun Toyota (which has no dealer fee or markups) and bought one the very next day. When Bruno texted me a few days later to say that "my FR-S had arrived" it wasn't the color he said it would be, who knows what else they are pulling over there.

Bruno seemed like a nice enough guy, but I explained that I would go somewhere that would treat me right, and was upfront sharing that I saved about $7,000 out the door by going somewhere else.

NOTE: I just followed up on a complaint I had emailed Scion Corporate. They told me to call them. On the phone they explained that with Pure Price, the dealer can choose to markup any vehicle. The only thing they can't do is "advertise a specific VIN" with the wrong price. They can say "Scion FR-S at $25,500" and have a markup on it, but if they advertise the VIN, it's another story. I explained that it doesn't look good to do so and the guy on the phone was upfront saying how word of mouth (through forums like this I'm sure) is showing those dealers who don't play nice that customers will go elsewhere. So that was my experience with Toyota/Scion of Tampa Bay. I won't be going there again, and I recommend you don't either!
McFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 05:33 PM   #12
Surge101

Drives: 2005 Mazda6
Dealership Name: Hollywood Scion
City: Hollywood

Allocation left? If so, how many as far as you know:
They claimed to have 6, but only had one to be seen out, I did see another one in the garage though. However, they slapped some wheels on it and marked it up 5 grand. Total was 31k+
Surge101 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Surge101 For This Useful Post:
Dave-ROR (06-17-2012)
Old 06-06-2012, 05:42 PM   #13
Zgrinch

Drives: 2013 Limited DGM BRZ
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFly View Post

NOTE: I just followed up on a complaint I had emailed Scion Corporate. They told me to call them. On the phone they explained that with Pure Price, the dealer can choose to markup any vehicle. The only thing they can't do is "advertise a specific VIN" with the wrong price. They can say "Scion FR-S at $25,500" and have a markup on it, but if they advertise the VIN, it's another story. I explained that it doesn't look good to do so and the guy on the phone was upfront saying how word of mouth (through forums like this I'm sure) is showing those dealers who don't play nice that customers will go elsewhere. So that was my experience with Toyota/Scion of Tampa Bay. I won't be going there again, and I recommend you don't either!

What a crock of Sh*t, so as long as the dealer does not list the VIN, they can false advertise. Sorry but Scion is crap and Pure Price is a gimmick to take advantage of prople. Wonder how many Scion dealers are advertising FRS with a VIN#? My guess .... Little to none as this always gives them an out.
Pure BS.

BRZGrincherhood
Zgrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Zgrinch For This Useful Post:
Subie (06-06-2012)
Old 06-16-2012, 01:52 PM   #14
bestwheelbase

Drives: 1985 P-Type
Thanked 2,058 Times in 1,098 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Dealership Name: Scion of Cool Springs
State: TN
City: Cool Springs, between Nashville & Franklin
Salesman to talk to: N/A
Reference desired: None
Allocation left? If so, how many as far as you know: Didn't ask.

Details of your experience with the dealership: Stopped by to look at the Whiteout Auto FRS on the lot. Noticed the following markups:
  • $3,995 market adjustment (i.e. greedy bastard hype markup)
  • $127 nitrogen (snake oil)
  • $279 window tint
  • $599 clear guard

Asked if they had sold many cars -- salesman said "We've sold three and they all had the same $4k market adjustment. Well one of them we cut in half after some negotiation."

Asked if I could order a particular color & gearbox -- salesman said "Scion does not let us order cars. They decide what to send us and we have no control over it."

Asked about trade-in process and if they would honor MSRP -- salesman left and talked to his manager, came back and told me, "Would you pay half [of the $4k markup]? We don't make much on these cars to begin with. If it sells at MSRP I only get $150 in my pocket. When we have a car you want, we can talk."

Salesman volunteered that the car already earned a speeding ticket (and a citation for the driver having an expired license) and the rest of our brief conversation was typical salesman bullshit. He told me nothing about the car, a lot about why the $4k markup is justified (), and ultimately the whole experience pretty much reminded me why I hate going to dealerships.

Cliff's Notes: This dealership is selling their FRS for $31k. No thanks.
bestwheelbase is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bestwheelbase For This Useful Post:
Dave-ROR (06-17-2012), HeubergerMotors (12-12-2013), Lost (06-17-2012), MattR (06-16-2012)