follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 12-12-2016, 10:30 AM   #29
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by unhappymeal View Post
He's in Australia where a WRX STi is a $62k car. A $100k car there is like a 328i.

I'm aware of the location they have listed. lol
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 02:39 PM   #30
JSube

Drives: 2017 ISM PP BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Talking BRZ to STI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misfire View Post
Sadly the EJ257s still have the ringland issues. I'm coming from a '14 STI and I had anxieties about it probably the same way as you did about the BRZ. Fear of engine issues took some of the fun of driving it away for me.

From my research here are some things to alleviate some of the gambleness of that engine.
  • Get off the stock map, it is garbage. Cobb is a good start, pro tune is best.
  • Air Oil Separator. These engines have lots of blow-by, oil in the intake can lead to detonation = bye bye ringlands.
  • Fuel line mod. Could cause lean condition at high RPM. Cobb has a tech write up on it: http://www.cobbtuning.com/2008-sti-f...ical-overview/
  • Oil pick up tube. Long standing issue with all EJ motors, cracked pick up tube starves the engine of oil = no beuno. Killer B makes an upgraded unit.
Basically the name of the game is do everything you can to reduce detonation. ie. Try not loading the engine up under 2500 RPM in a higher gear.

Or, you could just go forged internals and not have to worry about it as much. Not saying that it would become immune from detonation, just the ringlands wouldn't be the failure point anymore.

Not trying to scare you with any of this, just wanna make sure a fellow Subie bro is informed.
I have a 2015 STI (I'm actually considering a new BRZ!) and Misfire's AOS advice is essential IMO. Even if you never do anything but drive on the street, get one and have it professionally installed right away. Also get a Cobb Accessport and find a Cobb certified protuner- a conservative protune will change air/fuel mapping (that will probably eliminate the need for the fuel fix kit) and put a cap on boost pressure that adjusts thru the modes button on the console. I feel like I gained a margin of safety and got 40whp to boot. Pick up tubes can crack, typically on higher mile STIs, but KillerB is the one to get.
It's a fabulous street car, have a blast!
JSube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JSube For This Useful Post:
Kimsey47 (01-02-2017)
Old 01-02-2017, 04:14 PM   #31
Kimsey47

Drives: 2016 STI DGM
Thanked 1,460 Times in 662 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSube View Post
I have a 2015 STI (I'm actually considering a new BRZ!) and Misfire's AOS advice is essential IMO. Even if you never do anything but drive on the street, get one and have it professionally installed right away. Also get a Cobb Accessport and find a Cobb certified protuner- a conservative protune will change air/fuel mapping (that will probably eliminate the need for the fuel fix kit) and put a cap on boost pressure that adjusts thru the modes button on the console. I feel like I gained a margin of safety and got 40whp to boot. Pick up tubes can crack, typically on higher mile STIs, but KillerB is the one to get.
It's a fabulous street car, have a blast!
Which AOS are you using in your STI? I'm basically a daily driver that will bomb some mountain and valley roads so it looks like the grimmspeed should suit me well from what I've read up on.
Old 01-02-2017, 05:50 PM   #32
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,844 Times in 1,635 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
I am going to contradict everyone else and suggest don't do any mods that void powertrain warranty until it has lapsed.
Ringland issues without warranty coverage would be disasterous financially.

In fact same with the oil pickup, etc. When the warranty ends its a different story. Subaru is notorious for denying warranty claims, so a potential engine blown isnt something you want to pay for.

I opted for a WRX as my winter/family car since I still have my SC twin for agressive driving. Had I not kept the FR-S it would have been STI all the way. So, the fuel money I save with the WRX goes to the FR-S.

Good to see you didn't get the park bench wing. That would be a deal breaker to me. I'm too old for a ricewing!
Edit- ya got the wing. Oh well, it looks cool except when you're my age!

Enjoy!
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
wbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wbradley For This Useful Post:
Kimsey47 (01-02-2017)
Old 01-02-2017, 06:41 PM   #33
Kimsey47

Drives: 2016 STI DGM
Thanked 1,460 Times in 662 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbradley View Post
ya got the wing. Oh well, it looks cool except when you're my age!
Lol, yeah my wife thinks it's ridiculous, but I like it since you always knew a STI by the massive wing growing up! I'm probably too old for it, but I'll live young

Last edited by Kimsey47; 01-02-2017 at 07:23 PM.
Kimsey47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 12:19 PM   #34
JSube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimsey47 View Post
Which AOS are you using in your STI? I'm basically a daily driver that will bomb some mountain and valley roads so it looks like the grimmspeed should suit me well from what I've read up on.
To actually be able to separate any air & oil in an AOS, IMO, you need a recirculating system that has an outer coolant jacket to keep temps up in the AOS itself. I have a Perrin but I know the IAG version is well liked now too. The Grimmspeed is an AOS only because they call it that, but it doesn't have any meaningful function. It's a mystery to me how a company that makes a lot of good products can make such a useless piece for such an essential engine protection mod.
Old 01-09-2017, 12:22 PM   #35
JSube

Quote:
Lol, yeah my wife thinks it's ridiculous, but I like it since you always knew a STI by the massive wing growing up! I'm probably too old for it, but I'll live young
Guilty of being far too old for the "big wang," but I'm also too old to give a f***! Because STI
Old 01-09-2017, 12:24 PM   #36
DatsunDimer

Drives: Datsun 510
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
My wife has the opposite opinion. She would not let me buy a WRX because it looks to much like a plain sedan. According to her, the wing adds the pop a performance sedan needs.
DatsunDimer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DatsunDimer For This Useful Post:
JSube (01-12-2017)