follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 05-11-2016, 05:03 PM   #2983
julslol

Drives: Hot lava
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Bought a new old frs the other week to replace the last one. 2013 with 59 miles on it, anyway i drove the car around 250 miles to get home with no lights on.

When I went to drive it again while accelerating from 1st-2nd around 4k CEL and slip light pop on. P0018 is the code it is reading.

Took it to the dealer last Saturday with under 300 miles on the car. The dealer told me that I need to drive the car HARD and change the oil. They also said that I can safely ignore the codes and should clear them myself if it happens again.

Changed my oil light still coming on just over 500 miles on the car. I've been driving the car to completely empty the gas tank to get good new gas into it. The light comes on repeatably after downshifting 3rd to 2nd when you match the revs 4k or higher. Then clear code car runs fine restart the car code comes back on.

Will update when I learn more, been researching these threads trying to find a clear solution.
julslol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 06:21 PM   #2984
armstrom

Drives: none
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
You found a 2013 with 59 miles on it?

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk
armstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 08:00 PM   #2985
julslol

Drives: Hot lava
Quote:
Originally Posted by armstrom View Post
You found a 2013 with 59 miles on it?

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk
Yeah, it was to good of a deal to pass up esp with a warranty.

Taking the car back to another dealership Monday that had time to look at it sooner.

Also called the scion number on OP and they put me into the system.

Hopefully this gets fixed this time the limp mode is so annoying.
julslol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 08:10 PM   #2986
goffer

Drives: 2014 Brz
Quote:
Originally Posted by goffer View Post
My 2014 BRZ got this over the weekend. Just hit 22k miles... bringing it into to the shop tomorrow afternoon.
They swapped camshaft sensors two times and the CEL came back both times within around 20 minutes. Been in the shop for 2 weeks now as they "wait on parts".
goffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 04:23 PM   #2987
goffer

Drives: 2014 Brz
Quote:
Originally Posted by goffer View Post
They swapped camshaft sensors two times and the CEL came back both times within around 20 minutes. Been in the shop for 2 weeks now as they "wait on parts".
4 weeks and 2 days later and dealer still hasn't figured it out. I think lemon law in CA is 30 calendar days in shop.
goffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 07:04 PM   #2988
Jaden
Road-hole

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
So I got the issue.

I replaced my engine not that long ago with an engine out of a wrecked FRS.

About a week later I started getting a p0011 and a p000a.

I cleared it and it went away. I had just switched over to E85 and put a omni 3 bar on it so I thought maybe that had something to do with it, so I ran it back down and put 91 in it again and put the stock MAP sensor back on.

No go, got to where it was coding within a couple of hours, or at least once a day.

Then on the way to work the other day, it started missing bad and making a tinking noise. I thought the worst.

To make it worse I couldn't get my open port to read the codes so I could know what codes hit.

Then I realized that the cylinder 2 coil had come free and was just dangling over where the spark plug was. LOL, although it's not funny, turns out both bolts holding the coils on the drivers side were completely gone.

This just confirms that I should've swapped the new engine in myself, because the tech who did it either was too careless to check them and they hadn't tightened or put them in at the yard I got the engine from after they did the compression check or he left them loose on purpose hoping I would have to bring it back. Either way, it's not good.

So anyways, I push it back on so I can drive it at least to where I can fix it and the codes come back again within a couple of hours of driving.

So I take it to my ranch and lift it, undo the engine mount nuts, jack up the engine and pull a couple of the bolts off of the old engine and bolt it back up. Then I go ahead and swap positions on the cam sensors to test if that's the issue and it seems pretty good so far.

No idling issue like before and no codes so far. I'll update in a few more days to see if it truly resolved the issue, I don't think it's the ECU and I REALLY don't want to have to switch out the cam sprocket if I don't have to.

Jaden
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 05:54 PM   #2989
BillWeiss

Drives: 2016 Hot Lava FR-S
I'm curious what y'all think.

On my long road trip (3000 miles) I had the CEL and traction control lights come on. Reading the code gave me a P000C. I otherwise had the symptoms lots of people are talking about in here: periodic idle hunting and almost stalling. After talking to a dealership I cleared the code and had it come back a couple of times. Each time it happened while the car was warm but had been off for a bit, after stopping for gas or a snack, mostly if the AC was on. I managed to keep it from happening by giving the car a little gas at idle right when it started. I also got to the point that I could make it happen on demand. However...

Once I got back to town I took it into the local dealership, told them the story, and they said "eh, no code now, who knows?" I drove it for a couple of weeks and had it happen again (so much for on demand), took it in. They had it overnight and said "yeah, that's weird. Diagnostics check out, it hasn't come back. Maybe it's a glitch?" I told the guy there that this wasn't cool, and he said something like "I get it, and I wouldn't be happy either, but I've only seen it once. What do you want me to do? I can't start replacing stuff." Which, yeah, I get it. He said they would take it more seriously next time it happens.

The car doesn't get a lot of miles most days, so I haven't had it happen again. Assuming it does, at what point do I start escalating? Or, heck, do you think the P000C is the same thing? The code reader said that's "Intake (A) Camshaft Position Slow Response Bank 2", which sounds similar. I have seen some other threads about that code (http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...ighlight=P000c comes up quickly), not sure if it's the same thing or not.

The car is a 2016 with ~5k miles on it, so I'm not too worried about them running the warranty out. I'm pretty far from the original dealership so I can't take it to them.
BillWeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 07:05 PM   #2990
EN2_Squirrel

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
P000b has popped up for me at 65000mi. I have a replacement sensor, but is that going to fix it? And yetserday p000d popped up. Oil is new. I have the jaskson racing c30 kit, full exhaust and tune. Searching has got me very little info. It can be a problem but only below 4500rpm. Above that no problems. Problem exists when warming up and once warm about 60%of the time. Cleared codes initially, problem still exists with codes cleared.

Last edited by EN2_Squirrel; 07-10-2016 at 07:08 PM. Reason: edited for content
EN2_Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 02:25 PM   #2991
BillWeiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillWeiss View Post
I'm curious what y'all think.

On my long road trip (3000 miles) I had the CEL and traction control lights come on. Reading the code gave me a P000C. I otherwise had the symptoms lots of people are talking about in here: periodic idle hunting and almost stalling. After talking to a dealership I cleared the code and had it come back a couple of times. Each time it happened while the car was warm but had been off for a bit, after stopping for gas or a snack, mostly if the AC was on. I managed to keep it from happening by giving the car a little gas at idle right when it started. I also got to the point that I could make it happen on demand. However...

Once I got back to town I took it into the local dealership, told them the story, and they said "eh, no code now, who knows?" I drove it for a couple of weeks and had it happen again (so much for on demand), took it in. They had it overnight and said "yeah, that's weird. Diagnostics check out, it hasn't come back. Maybe it's a glitch?" I told the guy there that this wasn't cool, and he said something like "I get it, and I wouldn't be happy either, but I've only seen it once. What do you want me to do? I can't start replacing stuff." Which, yeah, I get it. He said they would take it more seriously next time it happens.

The car doesn't get a lot of miles most days, so I haven't had it happen again. Assuming it does, at what point do I start escalating? Or, heck, do you think the P000C is the same thing? The code reader said that's "Intake (A) Camshaft Position Slow Response Bank 2", which sounds similar. I have seen some other threads about that code (http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...ighlight=P000c comes up quickly), not sure if it's the same thing or not.

The car is a 2016 with ~5k miles on it, so I'm not too worried about them running the warranty out. I'm pretty far from the original dealership so I can't take it to them.
It happened again at 5663 miles, 600ish miles after the last time. Dealership took it for a day and changed the oil and filter, said maybe it was metal shavings that "passed through the actuators and clogged the actuators". Uh... sure.

We'll see what happens now. The car doesn't get a ton of miles normally so it might be a bit.
Old 08-03-2016, 11:48 PM   #2992
Vanz

Drives: Subaru brz
Bought a used 2013 BRZ a few months ago with 8xxx kms on it. At about 27xxx kms, got a CEL with code P0016 [Crankshaft Position - Camshaft Position Correlation (Bank 1 Sensor A)]

Took it to the dealership the next day, waiting to hear back from them. I've read some stuff and I hope its just the sensor which is malfunctioning but it could also be the crankshaft. Waiting to hear back from them, I'll update once I do!
Vanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 11:05 AM   #2993
RigoCinema

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
RigoCinema, BRZ, 36k mi, 602XXX, 1week - repaired, FL
RigoCinema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 03:16 PM   #2994
Andew727

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
50,000 miles rebuilt my engine to factory spec using forged interals and am throwing cam and crank position sensor P0018 cam and crank position correlation, P0302 cylinder 2 misfire, P119F crank position signal fluctuates in DI air/fuel feedback control, P219A bank 1 air/fuel imbalance.

i had dirty DI injectors, had them cleaned but still rough idle and cel codes thrown with sl. i am in a pickle and im not sure if i should spend the money on the expensive injectors or if i am having an issue like everyone else?

edit: replaced that crank pin and spacer still same issue. i will reflash the ecu tonight.
Andew727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 07:55 PM   #2995
BillWeiss

Quote:
It happened again at 5663 miles, 600ish miles after the last time. Dealership took it for a day and changed the oil and filter, said maybe it was metal shavings that "passed through the actuators and clogged the actuators". Uh... sure.

We'll see what happens now. The car doesn't get a ton of miles normally so it might be a bit.
It happened again on 7/16, car's been at the dealership since. They said they're replacing a cylinder (?), cams, VVTI, head, lots of work. It's taking forever to get done. At least I have a loaner this time...
Old 08-19-2016, 09:21 PM   #2996
BillWeiss

Quote:
It happened again on 7/16, car's been at the dealership since. They said they're replacing a cylinder (?), cams, VVTI, head, lots of work. It's taking forever to get done. At least I have a loaner this time...
Got the car back today. They replaced both "cylinder head[s], camshafts, cam tower[s], camshaft sprockets, OCVs", as well as taking apart and cleaning the timing cover and VVT oil "passages". Holy shit. Idle is still sporadically dipping but (as you'd guess) the CEL isn't on anymore.

I asked about getting an extended warranty out of it and they said I need to start with corporate for that. We'll see.