follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine Swaps

Engine Swaps Discussion of engine swaps.

User Tag List

Old 04-10-2017, 09:58 AM   #15
D_Thissen

Drives: '13 Argento FR-S (Sold)
Thanked 1,439 Times in 855 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtpvette View Post
As I'm thinking about it ,, at 325HP are the axles and rear end OK??? Could the cooling system handle 325HP with AC and the heat of South Florida??? Also,,, would a new driveshaft be necessary??? Could you take the Camaro drive shaft and put a FRS rear end adapter on it or visa a versa??
Not sure how long the Camaro drive shaft is, but I am gonna go out on a limb and assume you will need to have custom one made. Wonder if you could the Camaro diff and axles?

It would be an interesting swap. I know a lot of J-Body guys were swapping 3400SFI (and other 60* V6 motors) into their cars with a lot of success. Mind you, a lot of those cars didn't have canbus.
Old 04-10-2017, 10:12 AM   #16
venturaII
Only users lose drugs.

Drives: All the time
Thanked 1,067 Times in 674 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtpvette View Post
As I'm thinking about it ,, at 325HP are the axles and rear end OK??? Could the cooling system handle 325HP with AC and the heat of South Florida??? Also,,, would a new driveshaft be necessary??? Could you take the Camaro drive shaft and put a FRS rear end adapter on it or visa a versa??

From the perspective of axles and rear diff, there's no reason 325bhp from a N/A V6 would be any different than 325 from a turboed FA20, which is what the majority of kits out there are putting down. Same goes for cooling, although the OEM cooling seems to be a little weak to begin with, especially when you start adding power.
venturaII is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to venturaII For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (04-10-2017)
Old 04-10-2017, 10:19 AM   #17
D_Thissen

Quote:
Originally Posted by venturaII View Post
From the perspective of axles and rear diff, there's no reason 325bhp from a N/A V6 would be any different than 325 from a turboed FA20, which is what the majority of kits out there are putting down. Same goes for cooling, although the OEM cooling seems to be a little weak to begin with, especially when you start adding power.
The other difference that I could see is the amount of torque and how it is delivered. The v6 probably has a flat torque curve vs a turbo kit. Especially if its a kit with a bigger turbo.
Old 04-10-2017, 11:23 AM   #18
venturaII
Only users lose drugs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Thissen View Post
The other difference that I could see is the amount of torque and how it is delivered. The v6 probably has a flat torque curve vs a turbo kit. Especially if its a kit with a bigger turbo.

I believe the LFX has around 220ft/lbs, which is less than most turbo FA20s. Also a factor is that the LFX would be smoother delivery of a given power level, having 6 cylinders vs 4...this has an effect on component ratings.
Old 04-10-2017, 12:01 PM   #19
D_Thissen

Quote:
Originally Posted by venturaII View Post
I believe the LFX has around 220ft/lbs, which is less than most turbo FA20s. Also a factor is that the LFX would be smoother delivery of a given power level, having 6 cylinders vs 4...this has an effect on component ratings.
That sounds about right. My parents have 3.6L ATS coupe and I believe the crank numbers are something like 320hp/270tq. Once you factor in drive train loss of say 15%, that puts you at 275whp/230wtq.

EDIT: Its a nice flat torque curve though.
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udRoWs2k8jM"]2012 Camaro LFX v6 dyno - YouTube[/ame]
Old 04-10-2017, 02:30 PM   #20
-Willis-86touge

Drives: Stock
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
First off this is just to show the differences! Plus remember that with the lfx it should lose about 30lbs and with a turbo or supercharger add about 50-75lbs. So first is the lfx dyno second is a Jackson racing/kraftwerks dyno and third is a ptunning dyno. All pretty close to same hp. Yes different dumps different days! This is just to show power curve in perspective. If you notice the tq curve is superior. But yes the turbo a little better top end.
Attached Images

-Willis-86touge is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to -Willis-86touge For This Useful Post:
bfrank1972 (02-03-2019)
Old 04-13-2017, 02:01 PM   #21
gtpvette

Drives: 2015 FRS - FFR GTM
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Ordered the V6 Holden VZ oil pan from an Aussie recycler today. Total shipped will be $265 give or take based on the exchange. Kind of pricy for a used oil pan but what the hell. Came across (see below) this as well which helps me believe this pan will work. The third line down is a refference for the 2004-2006 Holden Commodore VZ that the GTO pan will work in. The pan I just ordered is for the 3.6l V6 version of that same car. I'll post some measurements once it gets here. I wonder how long that will take????

https://www.improvedracing.com/tech/...dimensions.php
Attached Images

2015 FR-S - One Day I'll Finish The Swap
gtpvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 02:08 PM   #22
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
You have said "GTO" in this thread a couple times.... the American GTO never had a V6 option.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 02:20 PM   #23
gtpvette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwolf View Post
You have said "GTO" in this thread a couple times.... the American GTO never had a V6 option.

My only refference to GTO is in it's front sump oil pan. That is the one normally used in LSx swaps correct? The Holden Commodore VZ came with a GM V8 with a GTO type pan,,, as well as a 3.6L GM motor with a front sump pan as well. I also do believe the late model GTO is just a rebaged Holden.

Last edited by gtpvette; 04-13-2017 at 02:31 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to gtpvette For This Useful Post:
wparsons (04-17-2017)
Old 04-17-2017, 01:10 PM   #24
Jaden
Road-hole

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
I was looking at the twin turbo version...

I was looking at using the twin turbo version of it in the Cadillac ATS-V though...

Jaden
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 01:24 PM   #25
gtpvette

In looking at motors and transmission this weekend,,, came across this on Car-Parts.com. This recycler takes a certain number of these out and keeps everything together for swapping into a different chassis. Smart move if you ask me.

2015 complete Camaro pullout with transmission (clutch assembly still there I assume), 11K miles. Wire harness intact, PCM, Exhaust down tubes with O2 sensors, Engine mounts with isolators, Rear trans mount with isolator, shifter etc. etc. They’re asking $4500 which seems like a lot to me,,, but having all the parts on a very low mile motor may have value. Assuming I can get $2.5K - $3K for mine,,, not too bad though.

I've only bought 1 motor from a recycler and wasn't all it was advertised to be. Scrounging up all the additional parts can get expensive and time consuming. The local recyclers I’ve spoken to don’t seem to have everything together which is an issue.

I’m going to watch a few auctions for wrecked cars this week. With the cost of the car, fees (Copart.com + Broker), shipping and taxes and I still need to get rid of the shell once the drive line is pulled, I’m not sure the savings (if any) is worth the hassle. Then there’s dealing with the wife about a wrecked car under the house. LOL
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to gtpvette For This Useful Post:
Sportsguy83 (04-18-2017)
Old 04-17-2017, 02:08 PM   #26
Lynxis

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Not that I'd do it but I think this is an interesting proposition for someone who wants basic FI power for a track car without any of the draw backs. Lighter than the base FA20, forget the added weight a turbo or SC kit will add, far more reliable, also finding a replacement if you do manage to pop the engine would be cheaper and easier than replacing the FA20, for those who aren't interested in V8 power levels.

That said, there are problems. Like any swap, good luck getting everything working. ABS and TC are the biggest hurdles but even just getting basic things like AC, speedo and tach working can be difficult. And finally, as others have mentioned, you can get a V8 which will put out way more power for just a bit more cost (in some cases, even cheaper if you're willing to use an old truck engine) and not any more effort. Also, the LS swap has been done and is well documented and help is available but getting help with an LF/LG swap might be challenging and impossible without the first question being asked is "why aren't you doing an LS?"
Lynxis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lynxis For This Useful Post:
Cole (04-17-2017), strat61caster (04-17-2017)
Old 04-17-2017, 02:45 PM   #27
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,470 Times in 4,993 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynxis View Post
Also, the LS swap has been done and is well documented and help is available but getting help with an LF/LG swap might be challenging and impossible without the first question being asked is "why aren't you doing an LS?"
You posted pretty much exactly what I was thinking. I think when deciding between V8 and V6 it ties back to the pros you already mentioned, lighter, cheaper consumables, no need for a crazy beefed up drivetrain. A nice modest upgrade that will save noticeable money on the engine cost and long term consumables.

The question imo is why not go mild supercharger, which right now is a no-brainer but if the FA20 proves unreliable long term I can see this swap getting a niche following, especially if it can piggyback off the work being done to integrate the LSx solutions. Get the thing emissions legal and it'd be on my list of considerations in the future.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
Cole (04-17-2017), Lynxis (04-17-2017)
Old 04-17-2017, 02:58 PM   #28
venturaII
Only users lose drugs.

$4500 for all that, plus low miles, sounds like a deal.