follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 09-10-2018, 06:20 PM   #29
Seanzky

Drives: Slow
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I just passed by my Toyota Service Center to extend the contract on the loaner I'm driving and I got to see my car. It was 10 feet in the air with the engine on the ground. It was a heartbreaking sight and they had no updates for me other than they are still working on it. It looks like they dropped it from the bottom and not from the front which is a little bit of relief knowing there won't be missing clips or screws that will leave my bumper barely hanging. Anyway, I didn't want to stick around anymore without the manager there and left. I'll update more as I hear back from them.
Seanzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 12:49 PM   #30
Seanzky

I could have sworn I posted an update last Friday but for some reason I don't see that post here. So, I'll just recap to update everyone of what has happened since my last post. I apologize if it's a little long.

Last Friday, I got a call from my service advisor and he told me that they had to order new parts (valves and shims --10 total) in order to complete this repair. I asked if all will be replaced or would it just be the one bank affected. He said it should be all since all 10 valves ordered were written up for my car. I don't know how the engine teardown will be like but he assured me everything will be fixed the right way and torqued to spec. He said that obviously it would be in their best interest because if I came back with the same problem, or another problem related to it, it would have to be on their dime. He said he was going to call me Monday to update me regarding the parts ordered (I know now --it's Thursday, that they haven't received the parts yet. He also never called me back.)

So last Monday, I waited for his call but never got it. I decided to wait until Tuesday because I know how it can get busy. I'm trying my best to be patient and understanding even though I'm the paying customer here who was sold a dud. But when the entire day went by without a call, I decided to finally call on Wednesday. I was told by a woman (receptionist?) I'd get a call back later that day which I never got. I called again a couple of hours later and was told he was gone for the day and to call back the next day in the morning (that's today).

So today, I called and was told he was with another customer and couldn't speak to me. I made it known to the lady (same one from Wednesday) who picked up the call that my car will have been 3 weeks in that shop tomorrow and that I would like it back sooner rather than later. She put me on hold and spoke to my advisor and he told her the parts hasn't come yet.

In short, I'm likely NOT going to get my car back this week or the next week. She told me that they don't know when the parts will arrive but that 2-3 weeks would be the usual window. That would mean probably another week on top of that once they receive the parts. This means I get my car back after about 2 months.

What bothers me is that I'm paying for this car every month to drive a base model RAV4. That's warm weather I didn't get to have fun with in my car and two months I paid for to drive a car worth less and one I certainly wouldn't consider buying. I'm very disappointed this problem exists to begin with, but I guess I will just have to wait and see because there's literally nothing else I can do at the moment.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Seanzky For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (09-20-2018), Tristor (09-20-2018)
Old 09-20-2018, 12:57 PM   #31
Tristor

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Wish there was a sad react on this forum. I hope it gets fixed for you soon and that Toyota compensates you in some way.
Tristor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tristor For This Useful Post:
Seanzky (09-20-2018)
Old 09-20-2018, 08:23 PM   #32
BRZnut

Drives: BRZ DGM Limited
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Toyota should pay the lease or loan payment back to you (if you have one) for the 2 months they are going to have it.
BRZnut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BRZnut For This Useful Post:
Seanzky (09-20-2018)
Old 09-21-2018, 12:47 PM   #33
Seanzky

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZnut View Post
Toyota should pay the lease or loan payment back to you (if you have one) for the 2 months they are going to have it.

I decided to look into your advice. I asked a few friends and colleagues including a lawyer and they basically said it's unlikely that I'll get any major compensation but that it can't hurt to try. I called Toyota up this morning and after half an hour of waiting on the queue, I finally spoke to a representative. I relayed to her all the details and she understands that I don't pay monthly to drive a base model RAV4. She said she will try contacting the service center and getting the full details of what's going on with my car so that she can then escalate it. When we reach that stage, I will have a point of contact at Toyota (corp, not dealership) and we'll see what the next steps are. She also said she'd provide me with a case number via email, which I haven't received yet. The entire call took 50 minutes.

I'm not hoping for much. I can only hope that they do right by me as a loyal customer, after owning 3 Toyotas. I've been very patient and I haven't even raised the idea that my car will have further devalued due to this issue yet.

As always, I'll try my best to update this thread with as much detail as possible.

UPDATE: She called me back and said she did send the email with the case number which I still haven't gotten. She sent another one and I didn't get that either (checked spam and all). She said she spoke to the service center and that they will do their best to get it done as soon as they can. But my request of waiving the amount I pay monthly, only while the car isn't in my possession, will be looked into.

Last edited by Seanzky; 09-21-2018 at 08:28 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Seanzky For This Useful Post:
bcj (09-21-2018)
Old 09-21-2018, 08:34 PM   #34
BRZnut

Drives: BRZ DGM Limited
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Hope it works out and they make it up to you!
BRZnut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BRZnut For This Useful Post:
Seanzky (09-22-2018)
Old 09-22-2018, 01:20 PM   #35
highway7

Drives: FRS 2013
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I would be contacting the media. If a dealership knows their name is about to be ruined and potential business loss, they will bend over backwards to make things right.
highway7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 02:06 PM   #36
Seanzky

Quote:
Originally Posted by highway7 View Post
I would be contacting the media. If a dealership knows their name is about to be ruined and potential business loss, they will bend over backwards to make things right.
They've technically done nothing wrong, though. If they did, I'd contact consumer's affair, BBB, lawyer, etc.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
Old 09-22-2018, 10:17 PM   #37
Lantanafrs2

Drives: 2013 frs red
Thanked 3,088 Times in 1,654 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I don't know why they would order valves and shims together. Shims come in different thicknesses which are selected to achieve the valve/rocker/cam lobe clearance. If they don't pull the heads they are not replacing any valves. Shims would probably be available at a Subaru dealership imo.
Lantanafrs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 10:37 PM   #38
Lantanafrs2

If they were going to replace 10 valves, both heads would have to come off. That would mean head gaskets among other things. Be a pain in the ass as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lantanafrs2 For This Useful Post:
Seanzky (09-23-2018)
Old 09-23-2018, 10:50 AM   #39
Seanzky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantanafrs2 View Post
If they were going to replace 10 valves, both heads would have to come off. That would mean head gaskets among other things. Be a pain in the ass as well.
That very well may be the case, unfortunately. It's out of my hands now.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
Old 09-23-2018, 11:05 AM   #40
Lantanafrs2

I had my motor done twice under warranty. They'll take care of it. I know it's uncomfortable but you'll be fine. Thx for sharing your experience with us.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lantanafrs2 For This Useful Post:
Seanzky (09-23-2018)
Old 09-25-2018, 10:47 AM   #41
Seanzky

I got a call yesterday from Toyota Corp. and was told this will take 2-3 weeks because the shims were out of stock? I was also told that when all this is done, all I have to do is take a photo of my monthly bill and send it back and they will cut me a check. So there's some good news there, I guess.
Old 09-25-2018, 01:21 PM   #42
Lantanafrs2

Valve clearance or lash will usually tighten up during break in period as the valves and seats get used to each other. They are usually shimmed to accommodate this. They must have really been tight in order to trigger a cel imo. Nothing that proper use of a feeler gauge can't fix though.