follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 09-05-2018, 01:38 AM   #1
Seiryuu

Drives: ZC6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Tuners like "Mugen" or "Spoon" for Subaru?

Pardon the title. I've been living in Honda world most of my life and this is my first Subaru so I am pretty new to the aftermarket scene here. So is there an aftermarket tuner/parts maker that specialize in Subaru (BRZ/86) in a similar fashion to Mugen and Spoon to Honda? What I'm kinda really looking for:

- JDM; premium brand
- Top notch fit and finish
- Might not exactly be best bang for your buck (usually is not) performance-wise
- Usually cost a shinier penny than other makers stuff (wish it wasn't)
- OEM quality
- long time reputation related to Subaru

From what I've researched, it seems like Fujitsubo is the most similar? Even then, they don't have that many parts for the twins.

My car is still stock but if I were to start modding, I want to prioritize fit and finish over straight up performance gains.
Seiryuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 01:47 AM   #2
NLSP

Drives: 2014 Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Sounds like you're looking for OEM+/in-house tuner parts, in which case STI would be your best bet:

https://www.sti.jp/en/parts/subarubrz_zc/
NLSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 02:46 AM   #3
yurikaze

Drives: 2018 BRZ tS (CBS), AE86 GT-S, MA70
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
You’re thinking more along these lines I think:
http://www.zerosports.co.jp/

http://www.zerosports.co.jp/Categories/1210
yurikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 03:34 AM   #4
sugoi

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited CWP
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
http://www.prova.co.jp/index.html
sugoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 01:36 PM   #5
re-animator

Drives: 2013 BRZ
I think Tom's is the best. Though they are technically a Toyota tuning house/race team, they have a lot of specialized parts for the 86 platform. Really expensive though.
re-animator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 02:28 PM   #6
AnotherSlowAE86

Drives: Subaru BRZ and AE86 coupe
I was a Honda guy back in the day. I think I know what you're getting at.

This car has a few OEM/in house/premium tuners, since the car was a joint Toyota and Subaru project. So you'll find some great parts from TRD, STi and TOM'S. But keep in mind this is a very popular platform, so all the other "heavy hitter" companies are out there making parts for the car. Cusco, Toda, HKS, Blitz, Tein and all the others have a line of products for the car.

Personally, being that I own the Subaru variant of the car, I'm especially interested in the STi accessories. The Japanese STi site, which was linked in a post above, shows the array of parts offered.
AnotherSlowAE86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AnotherSlowAE86 For This Useful Post:
yurikaze (09-05-2018)
Old 09-05-2018, 03:58 PM   #7
re-animator

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherSlowAE86 View Post
I was a Honda guy back in the day. I think I know what you're getting at.

This car has a few OEM/in house/premium tuners, since the car was a joint Toyota and Subaru project. So you'll find some great parts from TRD, STi and TOM'S. But keep in mind this is a very popular platform, so all the other "heavy hitter" companies are out there making parts for the car. Cusco, Toda, HKS, Blitz, Tein and all the others have a line of products for the car.

Personally, being that I own the Subaru variant of the car, I'm especially interested in the STi accessories. The Japanese STi site, which was linked in a post above, shows the array of parts offered.
Shame about all the STI versions being so overpriced here in the US though and generally not being performance-focused. IIRC their springs are re-branded eibachs that cost $400 and the axle-back exhaust is like $1400
re-animator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 04:02 PM   #8
8RZ
The Gunshine State

Drives: '14 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,163 Times in 587 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
If NISMO = Nissan Motorsports, then we should have a SUMO.

(Don't need to mention Honda since we've all heard that one lol).

Current DD: M235i
8RZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 8RZ For This Useful Post:
JMon85 (09-05-2018)
Old 09-06-2018, 05:22 AM   #9
Seiryuu

Drives: ZC6
Thanks for some of the suggestions! I haven't heard of Prova or Zero Sports. Can't believe I forgot about TOM'S. Looking through their catalogs though, it seems like none of them are... comprehensive. Like TOM'S make an exhaust but not a header or intake. No "complete package". Same with Zero and Prova... plus their parts look even harder to find. There aren't even youtube videos of their parts.

I know about STi/TRD but since they are actually part of Subaru/Toyota (OEM), their stuff I feel is more on the aesthetic side with the exception of suspension. Like they don't have headers or exhausts that promotes HP gains. But yes, I would be looking at STi for bracing and sway bars. Many would be excused for thinking Mugen is officially Honda but they are their own entity just with really close ties with Honda. So I figured there must be some similar third party companies doing the same thing dedicated to Subies/Toyota.

It's not that I am specifically after that JDM bling factor but I've checked out all the popular/common brands like Tein, HKS, Invidia, Borla, Apexi, Nameless... and just like the parts they make for Honda, they don't quite make me go "This is it!" to drop hundreds of dollars on their parts.
Seiryuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 06:25 AM   #10
86MLR

Drives: 2002 VX Commodore SS LS1 Auto
Thanked 2,185 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
I wouldn't focus on how things look or some brand name, I would look at what you get for your money.

Once a exhaust is in all you are going to see are the tips, but, if you instead focus on materials used, engineering procedures, and the performance aspects your money will be better spent IMO.

Personally all the TRD and STI stuff is way overpriced bang for buck wise, usually minimal gains for maximum price, there's always the bragging rights, but that's not going to stop you from looking at other peoples tail lights, even though you may have paid more.

The hard bit is filtering though the lies and exaggerations of all the parts, both from the manufacturer as well as the customers.

Me, I look at what the local club racers use, the drivers in the pointy end of the field always have their parts sorted, and generally from multiple manufacturers for different components.

Anyway, enjoy your build and start a build thread, build threads are gold.
86MLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 08:54 AM   #11
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Yea, for most makes there is not one anything, it is different part to part. Especially since Subaru hands its codes out like candy and you can tune the ecu for each individual part. It really means it depends on what you want to do with your car, and you can see dynos for pretty much anything you want to buy.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 09:53 AM   #12
Vital

Drives: 2015 BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by re-animator View Post
Shame about all the STI versions being so overpriced here in the US though and generally not being performance-focused. IIRC their springs are re-branded eibachs that cost $400 and the axle-back exhaust is like $1400
I think you're getting confused with the USDM TRD Spring being re-branded Eibach. STI Pink Springs are definitely not Eibachs...
Vital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 03:22 PM   #13
Xxyion
Lowly Cartuber

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2005 Honda S2000
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86MLR View Post
I wouldn't focus on how things look or some brand name, I would look at what you get for your money.

Once a exhaust is in all you are going to see are the tips, but, if you instead focus on materials used, engineering procedures, and the performance aspects your money will be better spent IMO.

Personally all the TRD and STI stuff is way overpriced bang for buck wise, usually minimal gains for maximum price, there's always the bragging rights, but that's not going to stop you from looking at other peoples tail lights, even though you may have paid more.

The hard bit is filtering though the lies and exaggerations of all the parts, both from the manufacturer as well as the customers.

Me, I look at what the local club racers use, the drivers in the pointy end of the field always have their parts sorted, and generally from multiple manufacturers for different components.

Anyway, enjoy your build and start a build thread, build threads are gold.

This right here. Especially since there are so many reputable names building parts for this car the best thing is to look for best value per dollar.
2016 Limited MT WR Blue BRZ | Delicious Flash n Go Tune | Delicious Flex Fuel Kit | Nameless 2.5" with 5" Mufflers | JDL UEL Headers | Bayson R Diffuser/Side Skirts | APR Front Splitter | VIS Racing GT Wing | ST Suspension Coilovers | Grammlights Rays 57CR 17x9 +38 | Sumitomo HTR Z iii 235/45/17 |
Xxyion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 01:28 AM   #14
GhostRai
Rice Monkey

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Sport-Tech WRB
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Not quite completely oriented to the 86 platform, but companies like Blitz and Cusco make high quality aftermarket pieces for these cars

"Why must everything that is broken be fixed?"
GhostRai is offline   Reply With Quote