follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > New England

New England MA, ME, NH, RI, VT

User Tag List

Old 11-20-2013, 05:45 PM   #1
Sayfailo

Drives: DGM Subaru BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Favorite Subaru Service Department Near Boston?

I bought my BRZ from Subaru Wakefield and while my experiences with them have been ok, does anyone have a glowing recommendation for their service department?

There are a lot of mixed experiences out there on Yelp...

Anyone find their service department has enthusiasts, especially for BRZs? Any input is welcome!
Sayfailo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 01:16 PM   #2
Turbowned

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Perf Pack 6MT
Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,150 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Garage
I can vouch for my service department at Quirk in Braintree; we service a few BRZ's here. My personal friend is the service manager and many of the technicians drive modified Subarus. Not sure I'd tell you to go out of your way to come down here for oil changes, though.

Current: 2005 Porsche 911 Carrera S 6MT
Previous: 2 BRZ's, 997 C2S, C5 RS6, C4 S6, B8 S4, GDB STi, S30 240Z, FC3S RX-7 TII, AW11/SW20 MR2, E30 318is/325i, etc.
Turbowned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 02:38 PM   #3
AznBRZer

Drives: 16 CBS WRX Limited
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Definitely can't recommend Clay Subaru!
AznBRZer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 02:08 PM   #4
iMIXTPE

Drives: LR Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
can you elaborate on Clay? I bought my car there and haven't ad my first oil change yet

they also never once said a single word or even contacted me after I bought the car...

I'm not far from Braintree so leaning towards them but would like to hear more about why we should avoid Clay
iMIXTPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 03:20 PM   #5
AznBRZer

I bought my car there as well. I would trust them with an oil change and weatherstripping, but not for a new pump or any other engine work at this point.

I went in for a new pump on the 11/21 and what they told me was that it was a 2-3 hour job, which I figured was because they've done a ton of them and have it down pat. At the 3 hour mark, I asked for an update and they told me it was another 2-3 hours. Instead of giving me a loaner or a rental to begin with, they ended up taking 7.5 hours at which I was waiting in the service area. Not only that, but the receptionists were rude as fuck compared to how super nice they were to everyone else when telling them that their cars were ready.

The next day, I noticed the smell of gas coming through the vents after going on a little drive. When I opened up the hood, you could clearly smell gas. I called them up on Saturday 11/23 to let them know that I'm bringing the car back. The service associate I spoke to said that there's nothing they can do until Monday, which REALLY pissed me off. Not only that, but I'd also have to pay for my own rental. That pissed me off even more. I called Subaru of America right away, told them what happened, and they said that they will reimburse me for the rental, but I should take it back to the same dealer if they screwed up. Went on a nice 35 mile drive that took 45 minutes to drop it off and went my not-so-merry way.

Monday afternoon rolls around and I call for an update around 2pm. They said that no one's even looked at the car yet, but they'll call me back. At 4:30, I get a call from SoA stating that my car is ready to get picked up, there is no longer any smell, and that there was no fuel leak. The next day, I leave my office at 5, take another 45 minute drive to Clay, get my keys(they weren't any nicer this time), and start the car. 20 seconds later, the smell of gas is coming through the vents again. I go back into the service bay and let them know. The service manager tries to explain that some gas probably spilled in the bay when disconnecting the hose and the smell could linger for a week or so. I say that gasoline shouldn't take that long to evaporate. He then says that they checked everything from the fuel tank to the pump and found no leaks. He then grabs a tech to check out the car again and we can all smell the gas from 6 feet away. The tech tells me to start the car so he can check all the hoses while the manager is scratching up the passenger side front fender with his fleece when looking to see if there are any leaks(I noticed the scratches a couple days later). All three of us are standing over the engine bay getting faces full of gas. I get the same story about some spilt fuel and the tech says that there's no leak because if there was a leak, gas would be spraying all over the engine bay. Manager then suggests trying to air it out for a couple more days and sees what happens. I take my car because at that point because I no longer trust them with my vehicle for this issue and enjoyed a nice hour long drive home getting nauseous from the smell of gas(windows down with the vents blasting). I call SoA when I get home that night to let them know what happened and said that I will give it the weekend.

During the week, the smell was getting stronger and told SoA when they called for an update. They then said that I could take it to another dealer of my choice, but it would be upto the original dealership to make up for some of the hassle I had to go through because I said I did not and should not have to deal with the hassle of reimbursement or driving an hour to a place that clearly didn't fix the issue.

Based on this thread and some good reviews about Quirk on some other forums, I decided to take it there this Tuesday afternoon. Customer service was great the second I rolled into the bay to the moment I left. I was there for maybe an hour at most. The service guy, Dave, came over with the tech and told me that the o-ring in the pump is FUBAR, shooting out vaporized gas, and needed to be replaced. I was like WTF? Did I just get viscontuned by Clay? He said that it could've just been a defective ring. The tech, Mike, said that he done a few swaps, so he's familiar with what to check and that he could have the car sealed up relatively quick when I bring the car back. He also said that one of the fuel injectors is a little borked and needs to be replaced too. I then decide to have the work done there and am pretty pissed at Clay.

Dave mentioned that he can't give a loaner or rental because the parts will be there in the next day or two and the car is still working ok. I then mention that SoA is following this case and that SoA could probably authorize something to help with the rental. The service manager Rich, then comes over and says that they'll hook me up with a rental because he told me to come in right away and it's a serious problem with the fuel system. All this in less than an hour, so I'm pretty happy compared to the bullshit at Clay.

New pump and mirror mount(I'm having that fixed too) should've arrived by today and the injector should be there by next Monday, so I hope to get an update this weekend.

Frankly, I'm surprised that Clay sent me a survey about this visit. I was kinda lukewarm about the buying experience so I didn't fill out the purchase survey. Also The passenger side window was cut up with a razor blade either during the PDI process or when they took delivery of it, which was replaced. They also took 4 hours to do PDI because they wanted to charge me for the front plate bracket after they couldn't find it because they couldn't figure out how to open the trunk. I ended up seeing it in the trunk because the backseat was down. Not to mention that they fired the salesman right after I bought the car.

I'm cautiously optimistic about Quirk, so I don't want to recommend them until the work is completed.

So yeah, this is why I don't recommend Clay. Subaru of Wakefield is actually pretty close to me and that's where I go for oil changes since they price match coupons from Ira. $55 for an oil change is pretty cheap.

Last edited by AznBRZer; 12-05-2013 at 03:33 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to AznBRZer For This Useful Post:
Kotu100 (03-12-2014)
Old 12-05-2013, 07:20 PM   #6
sprintertrueno86

Drives: 2018 BMW M2
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
I get my Legacy serviced at Quirk for the past 3-4 yrs and I took my BRZ once for an oil change. Good people and service. Also met @Turbowned there and go look for his BRZ b/c it is
sprintertrueno86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sprintertrueno86 For This Useful Post:
Turbowned (12-05-2013)
Old 12-06-2013, 09:23 AM   #7
iMIXTPE

yeah my salesman was pretty inept too, I'd never touched the car before my test drive and figured out more things than he did...

coincidentally the guy I bought it from at clay said he "just came back" after a leave of absence so I wonder if it was the same guy that you had

Sounds like I'll be going to Quirk
Old 12-06-2013, 10:08 AM   #8
AznBRZer

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMIXTPE View Post
yeah my salesman was pretty inept too, I'd never touched the car before my test drive and figured out more things than he did...

coincidentally the guy I bought it from at clay said he "just came back" after a leave of absence so I wonder if it was the same guy that you had

Sounds like I'll be going to Quirk
Was it an older portly white dude that was previously a music teacher named Mike?
Old 12-18-2013, 04:29 PM   #9
AznBRZer

I have an update and can now fully recommend Quirk Subaru. Honestly, I felt like I was treated like a VIP there and there was not a hint of gas coming from the vents even after running for 15 minutes. Super happy and almost peeled out because I was so used to the rental they gave me.

Met Turbowned and had a quick chat. Super nice dude.

From now on, I'm planning on having all my service done there despite being 24 miles away when there's another dealership 4 miles away.

All I know is that someone is going to get fucked over at Clay Subaru because of the survey I'm submitting.
Old 05-06-2014, 07:28 PM   #10
AznBRZer

*sigh*

I think I might have to change my recommendation.
Old 05-06-2014, 07:54 PM   #11
Kotu100

Drives: Supra, 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AznBRZer View Post
*sigh*

I think I might have to change my recommendation.
What happened?
Kotu100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 10:01 PM   #12
AznBRZer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotu100 View Post
What happened?
Before blabbing all over the internet, I want to give them one more chance to make things right.
Old 05-23-2014, 12:17 PM   #13
iMIXTPE

any update on this? I'm trying to figure out where i should go for an oil change that wont leave my ca destroyed lol
Old 05-23-2014, 01:00 PM   #14
AznBRZer

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMIXTPE View Post
any update on this? I'm trying to figure out where i should go for an oil change that wont leave my ca destroyed lol
I'd say that most places will be good for an oil change and my issue with Quirk isn't mechanical, but how I was treated as a customer after paying almost $1100 for a service when there was a huge screw up.

Update: I just called them and they made things right...well, close enough to not be bothered with it any longer. It was a huge pain in the ass to get there. Just make sure that no one washes the car...as in explicitly state that no one is to touch it.

edit: This post is actually a bit premature as I don't know if the check is in the mail. I'll update again when I get what I was promised.

Last edited by AznBRZer; 05-24-2014 at 01:26 PM.