follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 11-27-2014, 08:32 PM   #43
themadscientist
Hotlink Terrorist

Drives: 2015 WRB BRZ Spec S
Thanked 2,624 Times in 1,196 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Never been dissapointed in any car. I take a moment to try to understand what the builder was trying to do then consider if they did it. In that respect, even though my wife's Mini has the dumbest control layouts I ever seen, I get that they were going for cute and trendy. They did that. I hate it, sure, but they didn't build that car to make me happy so they achieved their goal. I have been bored out of my mind by a car.
themadscientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 08:54 PM   #44
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,536 Times in 18,934 Posts
Mentioned: 1108 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
potato potahto
Ultramaroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 08:53 AM   #45
gravitylover

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium 6MT White
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Every car I've driven with a CVT including the Crosstrek that I owned and put 63,000 miles on. Boring boring boring.

I don't get what you guys like about the Mazda 2, body roll, bouncy to the point of scary on rough pavement and nearly useless brakes.
gravitylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 09:12 AM   #46
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,848 Times in 1,637 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxBrun0xx View Post
15 WRX. I expected it to be great based on all the praise from the media, but it was very underwhelming. Just didn't feel special like the BRZ does, and after you've owned something with more power (I had a protuned 08 sti), the rush of boost is pretty underwhelming. Was really hard to get excited about it after seeing one in person.
Not to defend, but if you expected the STI's power band you would be disappointed.

I believe it is supposed to be a compromise for better fuel economy to satisfy the masses. The STI is still the model for people that might occasionally visit the track.

I wasn't disappointed as it was exactly what I expected, based on what I had read. And, it is definitely a sharper handler than the previous model.

For similar money I could have dropped the tech options and just gotten the STI but chose not to.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
wbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 01:07 AM   #47
tyrantcf

Drives: '16 WRX, CBR1000RR
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Most disappointing: Infinity G35/G37
Old 11-29-2014, 01:56 AM   #48
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,285 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrantcf View Post
Most disappointing: Infinity G35/G37
But my father in law tells me every time I see him how his will kick my ass in every single way!
Mind you he is 82 years old so anything above 50 on his speedometer is virginally untouched and his turn signal has been on since he left the dealer's lot so I really do pay much attention to him.
sprintertrueno86 (11-29-2014), tyrantcf (11-29-2014)
Old 11-29-2014, 10:28 AM   #49
redfred

Drives: Red BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
The most disappointment from a car for me was my 1971 Triumph TR6. I owned the car for 20+ years, restoring and autoxing it a lot. It was sorted & reliable, had suspension, engine mods and even an LSD. Won my class a lot, and even FTD's at smaller club events. Then one day I drove my Dad's base Boxter, and wondered what in the hell I was doing all those years with the Triumph. The Boxter was so much tighter than my TR6, and the steering response was in comparison, amazing.

When I test drove my BRZ, it had the same incredible steering response I felt in the Boxer. I was sold within a mile of the dealership. I've had the BRZ for a few months now, and love it. It's not as slow as critics say, it's very comfortable and handles amazingly. Credit Toyota/Subaru for installing a Torsen unit standard too. It is a wonderful car.
redfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 11:38 AM   #50
Mr.Impreza
Mr.Fujitsubo

Drives: 2018 STI
Thanked 1,552 Times in 784 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
BMW 335i coupe fully loaded....for 70grand cdn....i expected so much more. I learned that luxury cars are not worth the price tag unless you just want "baller" status

Mr.Impreza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 02:23 PM   #51
tyrantcf

Drives: '16 WRX, CBR1000RR
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
But my father in law tells me every time I see him how his will kick my ass in every single way!
Mind you he is 82 years old so anything above 50 on his speedometer is virginally untouched and his turn signal has been on since he left the dealer's lot so I really do pay much attention to him.
I just don't understand why every g37 driver thinks the car is so "nice" and "sporty."
Old 11-29-2014, 02:28 PM   #52
Jegan_V

Drives: 2023 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
I driven a lot of recent cars due to the nature of my job, so I've driven a lot of boring cars, a decent amount of good ones and a good amount of bad ones. Most disappointing for me is...

The current Audi A4 Quattro. It looks aggressive, and it seems to be today's car of choice for those looking at entry level luxury cars. I was expecting this to be somewhat nice. First problem was the matter of the interior, I expected it to be well built with really nice materials for the price. I did see well built, I didn't see really good materials though, there's still a tad bit of nasty hard plastic, ugly aerosol trim and mediocre leather that you'd find on a top trim compact. Features disappointing too, much cheaper compacts could have rear camera, sensors and touchscreen...this didn't and instead had fiddly user unfriendly stereo controls.

Secondly drive, the A4 is one of the most boring cars I've driven. Very little steering feedback, the steering rack is quick but it produces no feel and its light too making it very much feel like a Toyota Corolla. Handling is alright but not exceptional. The 2.0T engine with the automatic, that was good. However, good power is not enough to keep me interested. I can have fun with a Mazda 2 which is slow, but this car was very serious and boring which unfortunately for me I could get with a Corolla.

Lastly, price...$40K for one. Too much money for a car of such horrible value. The only reason I could see one buying it is only for that badge and the looks. The rest of the car however is so disappointing that it legitimately feels at least $12K too expensive.

Not the worst car I've driven, because that would be the Chrysler Sebring from 2007-2010, which I still hate with a passion. However its easily the most disappointing. I had expectations of it, and heard positive things about certain aspects about Audi and on many of them this didn't deliver. The Sebring at least I expected it to be bad...it might've been worse than I was expecting but that Audi I was expecting it to be good and it was boring instead. Didn't help that I got a chance to drive a previous gen Audi S4, but my expectations were now lowered and that car as expected was faster than a A4 but felt nearly as uninteresting.
Jegan_V is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jegan_V For This Useful Post:
Ocean-Grown 86 (04-10-2015)
Old 11-29-2014, 07:05 PM   #53
Jaylyons1

Drives: 2022 WRB BRZ; 1993 Skyline GT-R
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Impreza View Post
BMW 335i coupe fully loaded....for 70grand cdn....i expected so much more. I learned that luxury cars are not worth the price tag unless you just want "baller" status
I had an opposite opinion of the 335i. Granted, I paid $24k for it and traded in my 08 STI. Car pulled so hard and was loaded with tech. I haven't been disappointed with any of my cars I've owned as I knew what I was getting when I purchased them.

If I had to say the most disappointing test drive, that would be the first time I drove my 08 M3. The best test drive was the 2nd time I drove the M3. That car can really make you feel like a grandpa if you let it, but on the other side it's like a bat outta hell when you romp on it!

The 2014 Mustang GT was very disappointing as well, but I think I just needed to drive one with different gearing. It felt really slow.
Jaylyons1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 11:35 PM   #54
Celica00

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
For me it was a C5 Corvette. That thing was squirrelly anytime you gave it more than 50% throttle at any speed. Need to make a right turn into busy traffic? No chance. Instead of lines in the road, you make a nice long pair of slithering snakes.

While the FRS power is underwhelming, the feeling of driving it is unmatched to anything I've ever driven. And that makes the car special and worth it.
Celica00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 01:17 PM   #55
trustyler

Drives: Toyota 86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Most Disappointing: GT86/FRS
When I first tried it out, it was so hard to get into. I felt like I had to fall to get into the seat. 1st-3rd gear just made a lot of noise making you think you're going fast, until other "slower" cars pass you. You had to downshift a few gears in order to overtake. The gear changes were grinding and sometimes wouldn't go into 2nd. The clutch was somewhat high and I wasn't used to that. The stereo was crap and being stuck in traffic was a b*tch.

Most Surprising: GT86/FRS
As soon as I was able to drive it on canyons, I realized the tradeoff of it being difficult to get into because of the low seats vs the driver-centric nature of the low seats. I felt like I was in a cockpit rather than a car seat. As soon as your speed picks up in the canyons, you rarely go below the power band if you use the correct gears. You feel safe with the sharp steering and handling and don't get left behind by "faster" cars. It was really point and shoot. It was in these places that I really appreciated the light weight of the car because I felt safe turning and knew that the car would be easier to slow down. The high clutch made it easier and faster for me to shift gears because I didn't need much time and effort to disengage it. Stereo? What stereo? Although I changed to an aftermarket one, I seldom use it because even if it is on I won't hear anything because I'm too zoned-out having fun. I solved the gear issue by changing the transmission and differential oil and now it shifts like butter and goes into place with a firm click.

My point here is, I LOVED how it looked but was disappointed at first because I expected it to be like any other car of the same price range or a little higher. BUT when I drove for its intended purpose, I was surprised at how good it really was! I actually feel safer in this car than any other because it makes me a better driver than I actually am. Other people buy this car as a weekender or for track and have a primary car. I on the other hand have been driving this as a daily driver and relegated my other car for times I'm with my family or need to bring a lot of stuff. Lol!

It still sucks at traffic, but at least I get stares from other people admiring the car With this car, if you don't like something, you can EASILY mod it because it has SO MUCH aftermarket tuner support. Plus everything is way cheaper now with the BlackFriday-CyberMonday sales going on. Lol!
trustyler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to trustyler For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (12-01-2014), Teseo (12-01-2014), xxBrun0xx (12-01-2014)
Old 12-01-2014, 12:15 PM   #56
LiNkZ

Drives: 13' FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
It upsets me that people bash on the frs/brz for being slow but its a really fun car to drive and people dont understand its not all about speed, i love the handling and just the feeling of driving it. I also own the 2015 STI and i love it ( but not as much as my frs) Its more like a luxury car for me i take it out 2-3x a week. My frs is my daily.

Ive driven at least 12-15 different cars in my life and the nissan leaf as a rental car takes the cake at being the worst car driving experience for me ever.
LiNkZ is offline   Reply With Quote