follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 10-12-2017, 11:22 AM   #1
random hero

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
BRZ/FRS Endurance Racing Platform - WRL AER - Can it work?

My team and I are considering building an FT86 for World Racing League and AER events in 2018. I've raced an NC MX-5 for couple years with NASA and it was dirt cheap to run, and very reliable.

I owned a BRZ as a second vehicle and loved it, always wanted to race one.

We're considering MX5, Porsche Spec Boxster, BRZ among couple other cars. Looking for something 13:1 power to weight in race trim, and seems doable for all these cars.

My question is, can these cars last naturally aspirated on track for long duration. I've read about some cooling woes, etc. which is worrisome. We'd obviously do aftermarket radiator, hoses, oil cooler - but what other mods would be needed.

Also, anyone running these in race trim, what is your weight with cage etc? Also, wheel horsepower.

These races are 8-12 hours NON-STOP, I'm looking for real world opinions, not doing 3 "hot laps" in a DE if that makes sense.
random hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 11:59 AM   #2
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,474 Times in 4,995 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Budget for an oil cooler and to replace coil packs on a regular basis and I don't see why not. The radiator keeps the coolant rock solid on track in NA form so the oil is the concern.

Edit: yeah this is from a DE experience but the coil pack may spike the consumable cost higher than expected at ~$80 each, I've replaced three but not a regular track day guy anymore, I think some of them are replacing 1-2 a year which may work out to 1-2 per event for you.

And you get a CEL when it fails and it may pull some power, you can continue to run it and power seems to return after a brief slowdown (1-2s) but that means your CEL may not tell you of other more serious problems along with maybe you get a little bump from someone on corner exit when the car doesn't keep moving at the speed that's expected, could be enough to ruin a day, hypothetically speaking.

Last edited by strat61caster; 10-12-2017 at 01:07 PM.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 02:24 PM   #3
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,174 Times in 6,833 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Coolant isn't an issue NA. All you need is a large oil cooler.

I've prepped quite a few race trim cars.

200whp with a 2600lb w/ driver car is very doable. You may need to ballast to get to that weight depending on the driver(s). Depending on elevation, output will be affected, and you may be able to drop weight for higher elevation events.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
JohnJuan (10-13-2017), random hero (10-13-2017)
Old 10-13-2017, 12:15 AM   #4
random hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Coolant isn't an issue NA. All you need is a large oil cooler.

I've prepped quite a few race trim cars.

200whp with a 2600lb w/ driver car is very doable. You may need to ballast to get to that weight depending on the driver(s). Depending on elevation, output will be affected, and you may be able to drop weight for higher elevation events.
Are the coil packs an issue like stated above, I haven't seen that anywhere
Old 10-13-2017, 12:41 AM   #5
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by random hero View Post
Are the coil packs an issue like stated above, I haven't seen that anywhere
Only on older cars. 14+ don't have the issue.
Old 10-13-2017, 12:52 AM   #6
Pat

Drives: 2023 BRZ
Thanked 1,249 Times in 675 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by random hero View Post
My team and I are considering building an FT86 for World Racing League and AER events in 2018. I've raced an NC MX-5 for couple years with NASA and it was dirt cheap to run, and very reliable.

I owned a BRZ as a second vehicle and loved it, always wanted to race one.

We're considering MX5, Porsche Spec Boxster, BRZ among couple other cars. Looking for something 13:1 power to weight in race trim, and seems doable for all these cars.

My question is, can these cars last naturally aspirated on track for long duration. I've read about some cooling woes, etc. which is worrisome. We'd obviously do aftermarket radiator, hoses, oil cooler - but what other mods would be needed.

Also, anyone running these in race trim, what is your weight with cage etc? Also, wheel horsepower.

These races are 8-12 hours NON-STOP, I'm looking for real world opinions, not doing 3 "hot laps" in a DE if that makes sense.
Hey random hero, do I know you? I have been with NASA RM for many years. I raced TTD for the first time this year. You may recognize my car:

I haven't done any enduros, but based on what I know about the platform don't think there should be any major problems other than what the other guys here have said. You'll probably want bigger brakes. I had good ducts on mine with DTC-60s for a couple years and felt I was near their limit in 20 minute sessions.
Have you spoken with Mark at SCR Performance? They ran a BRZ in WRL. They'd be a great resource for you.
Pat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 04:22 AM   #7
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,093 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
I would suggest you replicate the CS-V3 86 Cup car.

https://www.racingbytmg.com/en/motor...specification/

They run Nurburgring 24 Hour races every year. Stock diff but they have a differential oil cooler, so easiest is to get Greddy or Cusco rear diff cover and plumb your own diff cooler.
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 09:05 PM   #8
random hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat View Post
Hey random hero, do I know you? I have been with NASA RM for many years. I raced TTD for the first time this year. You may recognize my car:

I haven't done any enduros, but based on what I know about the platform don't think there should be any major problems other than what the other guys here have said. You'll probably want bigger brakes. I had good ducts on mine with DTC-60s for a couple years and felt I was near their limit in 20 minute sessions.
Have you spoken with Mark at SCR Performance? They ran a BRZ in WRL. They'd be a great resource for you.
Yeah, Mark is awesome - love that guy! I'll reach out to him, Mikey's car did a lot of WRL stuff, good call.

I haven't raced RM since 2015, I ran PTD/TTD in a grey/orange Maxxis MX5. I now run an M3 in GTS3. Too high strung, and stiff for WRL.
Old 10-13-2017, 09:21 PM   #9
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,512 Times in 18,917 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
I have a 72-row mounted right to the cooler stack and use a diverter valve to adjust capacity.

When I'm driving at sustained high RPM indefinitely, I've found the engine can keep up with the cooler no problem. It quickly over-cools as soon as I go back to cruising. Just a data point for you guys. The rest of the engine is bone stock.
Old 12-26-2017, 12:51 PM   #10
TGIRWD

Drives: 10 Series FRS M/T
A friend and I just built an FRS (mine) and BRZ(his) for this exact purpose. Were supposed to have run the WRL event at VIR a few weeks back but got snowed out. Focusing on AER next season, maybe a few WRL events if there's nothing else going on.

How's your progress? It'd be great to meet at AER Road Atlanta. My car has been TTD'd for a few years, then sat for the last 2. This will be an ongoing development process for sure. On the endurance side i've done radiator, oil cooler, hood vents, brake ducts. I'm still on stock brake calipers with XP10 and throw away rotors. Run 300v.

Plan on doing Essex Sprint Kit, some suspension pieces for better set up and durability, maybe get into a little aero after a while - but keep it stock power and work towards reliability. Might open the motor up after this first season and tweak some parts for longevity as well. We do this on a tight budget.
Attached Images

TGIRWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 04:48 PM   #11
Phantom_9192
Racer_X

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Hey guys, I'm considering the same thing. Any data you've collected on fuel mileage with stock motor? That's my biggest concern... that the car can be competitive with Miatas and E36's on a lap but will have to stop way more often with the small tank. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Old 12-01-2018, 05:28 PM   #12
GrandSport

Drives: 13 Viper; 14 BRZ; 90 Miata; 18 AMG
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom_9192 View Post
Hey guys, I'm considering the same thing. Any data you've collected on fuel mileage with stock motor? That's my biggest concern... that the car can be competitive with Miatas and E36's on a lap but will have to stop way more often with the small tank. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Digging up an old thread but looking to do some WRL stuff- what's wrong with the gas tank size? Google tells me it's bigger than Miata MX-5.
2018 GLE 63 AMG: +800hp whistling AWD TT V8 grocery getter
2016 GX460: IDK. Too reliable to sell. Too boring to use.
GrandSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 01:00 AM   #13
Shadotracker

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ TS
I saw a BRZ and FR-S this weekend at COTA doing the WRL endurance race. Had to leave before I could find the team and ask questions about their setups.
Shadotracker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shadotracker For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (12-03-2018)
Old 12-03-2018, 11:31 AM   #14
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandSport View Post
Digging up an old thread but looking to do some WRL stuff- what's wrong with the gas tank size? Google tells me it's bigger than Miata MX-5.
Fuel consumption rate is also higher than a MX-5. Pit stops can make or break a team in enduro racing.