follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 10-04-2015, 05:19 PM   #29
ToySub1946

Drives: 15FRS, 05MustangGT, 85Toyota truck
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Those shown on the black car appear to me to be stock headlamps.

Attached pic of stock lamp on my 2015 FRS. See what you think..how they compare.

Others may know more details. Possibly there's a headlamp height adjustment, ride height of car has been changed ?

Yes I see now there's an (height I'd assume) adjustment bolt head attached to rear of housing....8mm or 5/16 will do.

Actual headlamp bulb itself on my stock car is Osram H11 (this is low beam...outer bulb)
Attached Images

Last edited by ToySub1946; 10-04-2015 at 05:46 PM.
ToySub1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ToySub1946 For This Useful Post:
02.ACCORD.DUDE (10-04-2015)
Old 10-04-2015, 08:26 PM   #30
02.ACCORD.DUDE
Car N00B

Drives: Honda Accord (2002)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Hair dryer or hot air paint stripper on low. Get it hot enough then there shouldn't be much residue. Done it a couple of times with zero issues.

Man... You were not kidding. I got the driver side off and clean, but then the clouds rolled in and my lighting inside sucked so I called it a day.

Took longer than I thought, but I got the hang of it at the end, I should have been more patient at the start... Leaving passenger side and final spot checks for tomorrow...
02.ACCORD.DUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 02.ACCORD.DUDE For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (10-04-2015)
Old 10-05-2015, 12:27 AM   #31
02.ACCORD.DUDE
Car N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by aegisdrgn View Post
A head-on picture of the headlights would make identification easier...but those look stock to me.
Will snap a clean picture tomorrow - but after comparing the lights I think like you and others have mentioned they are the stock lamps.

Here are some pics of how the lights look at night, looks like all the lights are coming on when I switch to regulars - am I looking at some kind of wiring F-UP here?

edit: In regards to the header... If I get the dealer to swap the header back to the stock header, what other steps will they have to perform in order to eliminate the CEL / what other parts should I look to have replaced?
Attached Images

Last edited by 02.ACCORD.DUDE; 10-05-2015 at 01:07 AM.
Old 10-05-2015, 02:23 AM   #32
soulreapersteve
Contract? /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Drives: An orange cone with flappy paddles
Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,703 Posts
Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Those look like HIDs to me.. not stock halogen bulbs.
The Twins make me smile
soulreapersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to soulreapersteve For This Useful Post:
FRSBRZGT86FAN (10-07-2015)
Old 10-05-2015, 02:40 AM   #33
aegisdrgn

Drives: Scion FR-S 10 Series #2263
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I agree with @soulreapersteve, that looks way brighter than the stock halogens. You say all the lights come on, including the inner corner bulbs in the headlight module? If that bulb wasn't changed out for an LED bulb, it could certainly be the source of the angry flashes since the corner light is normally the daylight running light, but double duties as the high beams (high beams might be on all the time).

The turn signals seem to be replaced with switchbacks, which aren't really a concern, as they usually aren't powerful enough to cause glare.

You could have some wiring shenanigans going on if the DRL is on with your low beams.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk
aegisdrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 06:27 AM   #34
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02.ACCORD.DUDE View Post
Will snap a clean picture tomorrow - but after comparing the lights I think like you and others have mentioned they are the stock lamps.

Here are some pics of how the lights look at night, looks like all the lights are coming on when I switch to regulars - am I looking at some kind of wiring F-UP here?

edit: In regards to the header... If I get the dealer to swap the header back to the stock header, what other steps will they have to perform in order to eliminate the CEL / what other parts should I look to have replaced?
I wouldn't be too quick to swap the header back. It looks like the car may have been modded further than you thought and is actually at a point many here strive to get to. Like some have said the cel is due to removed cats but if the car passed the inspection then you got away with is so far. You may just need a tune to get rid of the light since they may have pulled what ever system they probably had (I would be surprised that with that intake, header and exhaust they weren't tuned).

Those lights are wonky though!
Cole (10-05-2015)
Old 10-05-2015, 11:27 AM   #35
02.ACCORD.DUDE
Car N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
I wouldn't be too quick to swap the header back. It looks like the car may have been modded further than you thought and is actually at a point many here strive to get to. Like some have said the cel is due to removed cats but if the car passed the inspection then you got away with is so far. You may just need a tune to get rid of the light since they may have pulled what ever system they probably had (I would be surprised that with that intake, header and exhaust they weren't tuned).

Those lights are wonky though!
Yeah definitely getting the lights fixed, I want to revert them back to stock lights/bulbs for now and then at some point in the future once I've done my own research I'll consider a full lamp / bulb swap that's a little more considerate to other drivers

With the CEL / cat most people I've asked have said the same thing others here are echoing... Once I gets someone to dig in and confirm that's all that's going on I'll have a decision to make... Inspection is good for 2 years soooo...
The Following User Says Thank You to 02.ACCORD.DUDE For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (10-05-2015)
Old 10-05-2015, 11:50 AM   #36
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,092 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Since I am taking the dissenting opinion here, I'll defend myself. You can view dealerships as you see fit.

Quote:
I agree with you that some people take it too far with their anti-dealership rants but I used the language in jest (which doesn't translate well on the internet), so it's all good...

I ended up letting the dealership know, the light has been off ever since Day 2 so they claimed there was nothing they can do - but at least it's on record that I had an "issue" and complained...
Doing research on the NJ MVC site is .... well, worse than trying to navigate the California DMV site. Finally I've found a state worse than CA!

http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Inspectio...erstanding.htm

The key part is this:

1) you bought a used vehicle
2) your car had a check engine light come on post-purchase
3) your car has mods

Here's what the grey area lies: does NJ require an inspection to transfer used car title? And does this inspection involve a smog test? And if so, does the inspection involve a visual test?

If you bought the car used, as-is, without any warranty implied other than manufacturer's warranty, you are on your own as far as any check engine light is concerned.

If you bought the car used with an expressed warranty provided by the dealer that you bought the car from (in addition to manufacturer's powertrain warranty), the dealer that sold you the car is on the hook for this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf View Post
I see the PC Police are in this thread as well...lol

Many dealerships have earned their negative reps because they are stealerships and liars out to screw you out of every last dollar, and once you've made your purchase, the customer service you receive often changes
So many = all? I have my fair share of good and bad experiences but I don't make assumptions going in.

I don't care to be PC but I do care to not pass judgment before I step in the door.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf View Post
The dealership is responsible for this issue...you're just going to let them skate responsibility?
See my above response on whose responsibility it is.

Quote:
I don't mind going back and arguing, but what would you suggest I have them do / check?
Answer these questions:

1) Is smog check required as part of used car transfer in NJ? Does this involve a visual test as well as tailpipe? If so, non-approved mods may make the sale invalid as the dealer sold you a car that is not in compliance w/ smog laws.
2) If not, did you buy the car with mods "as-is"? If so, you are on your own if it does throw a CEL.
3) Is the dealer a Toyota/Scion dealership? If not, you will need to find a mod-friendly dealership and work with them on your issue.

If you want to fix on your own, 90% of the time an O2 elbow/extension will fix the problem. Or get a tune and the light will go away. Or just leave it and nothing happens.

-alex
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mav1178 For This Useful Post:
02.ACCORD.DUDE (10-05-2015), 86kahl (11-21-2015), Tcoat (10-05-2015)
Old 10-05-2015, 02:17 PM   #37
mav1178

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav1178 View Post
1) Is smog check required as part of used car transfer in NJ? Does this involve a visual test as well as tailpipe? If so, non-approved mods may make the sale invalid as the dealer sold you a car that is not in compliance w/ smog laws.
Found it:

Quote:
5 year inspection extended to used vehicles
Beginning August 1, 2010, purchasers of used, non-commercial vehicles purchased in or out of New Jersey will no longer require an inspection until they are at least five model years old:
Vehicles purchased without a New Jersey inspection sticker will receive a decal valid until the last day of the month of registration, five years from the vehicle model year
Vehicle owners will receive Form SS-19 at the time of registration
Visit a state-operated inspection station with a valid registration card, NJ insurance ID card, driver license and Form SS-19
In addition, effective August 1, 2010, New Car Dealers will be allowed to issue new vehicle stickers to used non-commercial vehicles less than five (5) model years old
Used vehicles with a valid sticker are not required to be inspected until the month and year of the noted expiration date
Basically the dealer is under no legal obligation to help you out on this matter. If they do help you out, it will be because they are nice and not because they are obligated to.

What type of car dealer is it? And are the mods listed on the bill of sale?

-alex
The Following User Says Thank You to mav1178 For This Useful Post:
02.ACCORD.DUDE (10-05-2015)
Old 10-05-2015, 02:24 PM   #38
02.ACCORD.DUDE
Car N00B

Quote:
Found it:

Basically the dealer is under no legal obligation to help you out on this matter. If they do help you out, it will be because they are nice and not because they are obligated to.

What type of car dealer is it? And are the mods listed on the bill of sale?

-alex
Mods were not listed in bill of sale, it's a Nissan dealer.

They mentioned the possibility of adding a spacer, should I have them do so or is a tune the only way to really get rid this "issue"?

On the subject of tunes - is it recommended I take the car to any special shop or will any shop do, and is the fix permanent?

So far dealership has agreed to remove HID lights / bracket and reinstall the stock lights... Doesn't look as nice, but gives me peace of mind
Old 10-05-2015, 02:27 PM   #39
mav1178

Quote:
Mods were not listed in bill of sale, it's a Nissan dealer.

They mentioned the possibility of adding a spacer, should I have them do so or is a tune the only way to really get rid this "issue"?
You should then ask the dealer about this. Be courteous.

"I bought a car recently from you guys, it was not listed in the bill of sale but it had mods. After I took delivery there was a check engine light. Is there anything you can help with?"

Worst is they say no. At best they will work with you on a fix.

The spacer or O2 extension can be a fix, but not guaranteed to get rid of it 100%. You can either get a $20 OBD-II scanner to clear codes (often), or get any ECU tune that disables that check. Just keep in mind that in about 2 years you'll need to get a permanent fix for your NJ inspection.

-alex
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mav1178 For This Useful Post:
02.ACCORD.DUDE (10-05-2015), 86kahl (11-21-2015)
Old 10-05-2015, 02:36 PM   #40
02.ACCORD.DUDE
Car N00B

Quote:
You should then ask the dealer about this. Be courteous.

"I bought a car recently from you guys, it was not listed in the bill of sale but it had mods. After I took delivery there was a check engine light. Is there anything you can help with?"

Worst is they say no. At best they will work with you on a fix.

The spacer or O2 extension can be a fix, but not guaranteed to get rid of it 100%. You can either get a $20 OBD-II scanner to clear codes (often), or get any ECU tune that disables that check. Just keep in mind that in about 2 years you'll need to get a permanent fix for your NJ inspection.

-alex
Sorry just trying to understand - is the only 100% "permanent" fix to revert to stock or some other cat / exhaust setup?

I do have a OBD-II scanner so could just clear the codes for now... While this is two years out, assuming I clear the codes and the exhaust system does pass emissions visual / smog / decibel check wouldn't that typically be enough to pass inspection?

Exhaust itself seems clean - just a matter of the CEL popping up here and there.
Old 10-05-2015, 04:33 PM   #41
mav1178

Quote:
Sorry just trying to understand - is the only 100% "permanent" fix to revert to stock or some other cat / exhaust setup?
The problem with a code reader is that it clears the code, but it can come back at any time.

A O2 elbow/extension may prevent the code from showing up, but it is not guaranteed.

The two permanent fixes for purposes of inspection are:

1) put back to stock
2) get a ECU tune that removes this code (as others have mentioned)

-alex
The Following User Says Thank You to mav1178 For This Useful Post:
02.ACCORD.DUDE (10-05-2015)
Old 10-07-2015, 08:27 AM   #42
Ashikabi

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 4,542 Times in 2,947 Posts
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
So... If you take off the headers can I have them? I'll pay shipping
Ashikabi is offline   Reply With Quote