follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 03-19-2012, 05:11 PM   #1
titusdrake
ex-First 86

Drives: 2013 Mustang
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Trying the FR-S on for size

On the first 86 questionaire i recieved 2 months ago i asked if i would even fit in the car.. Im 6'5 330 lbs and 38 inch waist. A month later Jason from Beyond Marketing emails me and says scion will fly me down from norcal to long beach to go to scion hq and sit in the fr s.. Today i got to see the car i have been waiting 3 years for, i got to sit in it, i got to DRIVE IT =D and i was able to get some info from Mike at Scion

Absolutely fantastic! You wont understand what an amazing job toyota and subaru have done until you drive this car. Danny from Beyond Marketing picked me up from the Long Beach airport, we went to the Scion HQ where there was a Ultramarine FR-S I sat in it for a while and took some pics while just having a good time, Mike from Scion asked me what transmission i had ordered and i told him manual..so he pulled a manual Red FR-S around and i sat in that...then i asked if i could drive it and he let me take it around the block.

I SHOULDVE gotten a pic of me standing next to car to give you guys a good idea of the cars size, and i should've got a video clip of the stereo and the exhaust while driving..but with two FR-S's i was in a state of excitement...so sorry..lol

The FR-S is such a joy to drive, its hard to describe, you literally have to just go and FEEL this car, the numbers don't do it justice, it FEELS quick, the clutch is short and smooth, the brakes are crisp, and the gas is responsive, the stock exhaust sounds great, and its just a fantastic car. essentially i got to do two quarter mile ish strips (drove a square around scion HQ), i shifted at around 5400 i think and i didn't get past third gear, the gears are tall, you can reach 60 mph in 2nd. the pedals are aluminum with rubber grip pads, the pedals are close together but in a satisfying way. Also its engineered so that your right leg rests against a wall instead of in the middle of your center console. anyone 6'1 or taller will appreciate the sidewall. The car is SMALL but has a presence. the trunk and interior has more space than it looks from outside. Visibility is very good all the way around, side mirrors, and rear view are very good. from the front theres a space down the middle of the hood and then the wheel fenders are HUGE on top. lol

Danny (Beyond Marketing) was texting Mike (Scion) a few other questions i had after we left..one of which is any info about the TRD supercharger...so ill get that info soon hopefully.probably nothing but never hurts to ask..also gonna find out if the pioneer system has a subwoofer

As of right now apparently they don't have any final spoiler designs i guess, or at least Mike didn't know, the BRZ has some diff ones...i don't think they have established the Scion factory ones yet, there will be a lip spoiler of course and I'm hoping for one similar to the tC pedestal spoiler

because of the modding nature of this car you will be able to put whatever spoiler you want on it really.

I have about an inch of headroom, my sight line is in the middle of the windshield, which is surprising, as tall as I am usually my sight line is towards the top of the windshield making it hard to see things like stoplights...lol... also most of my height is in my torso, so you could be taller than me but if its all in ur legs you would have enough headroom.

The hood is VERY lightweight, there are many stabilizer bars in the engine bay

These are the stock wheels. 17' I was very impressed with these.

Note: the hood is popped right here. hence why its sticking up

The steering wheel telescopes which is nice. the leather wrapping is comfortable and grippy. the steering is light yet responsive, the amount you have to turn the wheel feels just right

This is the Pioneer Bespoke sound system, sounded awesome, full touch screen and it has a subwoofer I'm pretty sure, i will confirm, car comes stock with a usb port and a aux port for playing music and charging devices. The stereo is in a relatively high spot on the dash so you don't have to take your eyes too far from the road. the overall quality of the knobs and interior was surprisingly good.

All the FR-S's will come with red trim on the seats, steering wheel, shift boot, and e brake handle. update: apparently the FR-S will NOT have red seat trim on the production models, the steering wheel, boot, and shifter is still on the table possibly

careful, you might go blind

notice the angle of the door controls, the sitting position is more slanted than the average car, though you COULD sit up straight if you wanted to..and didn't happen to be 6'5. though i was comfortable.

I forgot to get a pic but the "86" emblems on the sides are AWESOME looking, like the badge of honor..or badassness

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G141OlAoPNg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G141OlAoPNg[/ame]

sound clips of exhaust

And a little easter egg, i spotted this, which happens to be Ken Gushis 600 HP Drift FR-S. EDIT: apparently its not, speculation would suggest its Ken Gushi's drift tC.

Pic uploads thanks to Kiteless

Last edited by titusdrake; 06-18-2012 at 04:13 PM.
titusdrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 05:12 PM   #2
chulooz
Registered you sir

Drives: 99 impreza coupe
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Congrats. Interested to hear/see your experience!

What circumstances did you drive it under?
chulooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 05:14 PM   #3
bneale

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by titusdrake View Post
Absolutely fantastic! You wont understand what an amazing job toyota and subaru have done until you drive this car... Im sitting at long beach airport.. Ill post more info and pics when i get home tonight.. Or if i can get some wi-fi on my laptop..
Please do tell!!

Don't leave any little detail out. I'll be looking forward to seeing what your first drive was like. If possible, try and include references to cars which you may have owned/driven in the past.

You're a lucky guy!

bneale
bneale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 05:18 PM   #4
chate
Pharmasaurus Magnificus

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
awesome man i'm glad it worked out!! WOO HOOO can't wait to hear more! Did they happen to say if we'll get to drive it in a couple weeks for the trip??
chate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 05:24 PM   #5
titusdrake
ex-First 86

Quote:
Originally Posted by chate View Post
awesome man i'm glad it worked out!! WOO HOOO can't wait to hear more! Did they happen to say if we'll get to drive it in a couple weeks for the trip??
Danny from Beyond Marketing who drove me from the airport (in a stylin scion xB) said hes pretty sure there will be a car for us to play around with for the 4 day trip
Old 03-19-2012, 05:24 PM   #6
MarkRacerX

Drives: 12' Evo X , prior 1st 86 FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Go SCION !!!

What Service and Congrats

Def cool stuff they did that for a First 86 :happy0180:

Can't wait to hear/see !
08' STi, 04' 350Z, 04' STi, 02' WRX. 96' GSR, 04' SE-R/SpecV
MarkRacerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 05:26 PM   #7
bneale

Quote:
Originally Posted by chate View Post
I thought thats where the First 86 winners were going. I also wonder if thats how this guy got to test drive the car.

I'll bet my next doughnut thats how/why he got to drive it. It's most likely there for the first 86 winners.

EDIT: I'll be taking my doughnut back now! Looks like I was correct.

If thats the case, we should have like 50+ testers to say how they like the car or not. I hope people are being honest with their opinons (not that I think they're not being honest) and not just saying "OMG this car is awesome" simply because their on this forum.

As a canadian, I'm outraged we were snuffed from this contest!

bneale
Old 03-19-2012, 05:26 PM   #8
titusdrake
ex-First 86

Quote:
Originally Posted by chulooz View Post
Congrats. Interested to hear/see your experience!

What circumstances did you drive it under?
I drove out of the parking lot then three quarter mile ish strips of road, went in a square around the HQ, never passed 3rd gear. Shifted at 5500 rpms. Not used to a high reving engine.. But it was fantastic
Old 03-19-2012, 05:28 PM   #9
titusdrake
ex-First 86

Quote:
Originally Posted by bneale View Post
Please do tell!!

Don't leave any little detail out. I'll be looking forward to seeing what your first drive was like. If possible, try and include references to cars which you may have owned/driven in the past.

You're a lucky guy!

bneale
I will do a extremely detailed write up. Ive driven 2008 and 2012 v6 mustangs, a 2010 wrx, a g35 coupe, mini cooper s, mazdaspeed3, mazdaspeed6 (my current car), a 2011 civic Si sedan, 2011 cadillac STS, 2008 bmw 328...the FR-S drove better than them all. No bs. Its light, its responsive, quick acceleration, smoothest shortest clutch ive ever driven. Responsive brakes, touchy throttle.
Old 03-19-2012, 05:33 PM   #10
titusdrake
ex-First 86

Quote:
I thought thats where the First 86 winners were going. I also wonder if thats how this guy got to test drive the car.

I'll bet my next doughnut thats how/why he got to drive it. It's most likely there for the first 86 winners.

EDIT: I'll be taking my doughnut back now! Looks like I was correct.

If thats the case, we should have like 50+ testers to say how they like the car or not. I hope people are being honest with their opinons (not that I think they're not being honest) and not just saying "OMG this car is awesome" simply because their on this forum.

As a canadian, I'm outraged we were snuffed from this contest!

bneale
im also on mazdaspeed forums, and 3 different mustang forums. Trust me, the FR-S is genuinely BRILLIANT
Old 03-19-2012, 05:41 PM   #11
GodSays

Drives: Beater
Not that it really matters too much but what color was it that you drove
GodSays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 05:42 PM   #12
bneale

Quote:
Originally Posted by titusdrake View Post
im also on mazdaspeed forums, and 3 different mustang forums. Trust me, the FR-S is genuinely BRILLIANT

Great. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

I'm really interested in seeing peoples "unbiased" opinions of this car and yours seems quite unbiased. From the cars you've driven, it sounds like you know what a "good car" really is.

I just hope we see more people from the First 86 program driving it and sharing their thoughts.

bneale
Old 03-19-2012, 05:55 PM   #13
MarkRacerX

Drives: 12' Evo X , prior 1st 86 FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
FR-S review

Quote:
Great. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

I'm really interested in seeing peoples "unbiased" opinions of this car and yours seems quite unbiased. From the cars you've driven, it sounds like you know what a "good car" really is.

I just hope we see more people from the First 86 program driving it and sharing their thoughts.

bneale
I am just going to have a hard time, coming from 6+ Turbo cars to N/A as far as Power/TQ. 02 WRX, 04 STi, 08 STi , 08 335Xi, 09 135i, 11' STi. from 300+hp to 200hp, but I really enjoy autocross and want to enjoy Rwd fun and focus on handling more than straight line speed. I def will share if we / when we get to test one out

I kinda expect it to feel like what a Rwd Integra Type R would be like , similar weight / power, given advantage to FR-S for TQ/Displacement.

I can't wait !!! Woop Woop !!!
08' STi, 04' 350Z, 04' STi, 02' WRX. 96' GSR, 04' SE-R/SpecV
MarkRacerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 06:05 PM   #14
titusdrake
ex-First 86

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkRacerX View Post
I am just going to have a hard time, coming from 6+ Turbo cars to N/A as far as Power/TQ. 02 WRX, 04 STi, 08 STi , 08 335Xi, 09 135i, 11' STi. from 300+hp to 200hp, but I really enjoy autocross and want to enjoy Rwd fun and focus on handling more than straight line speed. I def will share if we / when we get to test one out

I kinda expect it to feel like what a Rwd Integra Type R would be like , similar weight / power, given advantage to FR-S for TQ/Displacement.

I can't wait !!! Woop Woop !!!
Coming from an sti or 335 the fr s might feel slower in acceleration, but it handles very good. If you can afford stis then you should get an frs/brz and supercharge or turbocharge it.. Would make it incredibly fast